First MMA fight

AUSMMA

ok. how long do you think i would have to train to have my first mma fight. i train in Jiu-Jitsu and want to know if i could do mma as well for my stand up game. would that be good enough or wuld i have to train specifically in boxing/kickboxing/muay thai or something like that. any help would be appreciated

Id say train for at least a year and yes you need some kind of stand up. My reccommendation would be muay thai.

Agreed, Muay Thai adapts well to MMA, it contains all forms of striking legal in a mixed martial arts bout (punches, kicks, elbows, knees etc.) whilst boxing or standard kickboxing only features aspects of the standup game.

ok. how long do you think i would have to train to have my first mma fight. i train in Jiu-Jitsu and want to know if i could do mma as well for my stand up game. would that be good enough or wuld i have to train specifically in boxing/kickboxing/muay thai or something like that. any help would be appreciated

where do u train?

i train in newcastle australia at beston-gracie jiu-jitsu. as for the mma, im not quite sure. i havent been training for long so i want to take it slowly. get fairly good at jiu-jitsu and then start stand up. iv'e been meaning to talk to my trainer about what they do at mma but i keep forgetting. but if you guys dont think doing mma would be enough to help me in a fight i may start muay thai

i would just learn to box well' date=' if ur just trying to get into it, i think boxing will be alot easier to swallow then jumping into someting alot more complicated.[/quote']

i was thinking about that. it would be good to be able to punch well before i start to kick/elbow/knee etc. i'll just wait on a response from my trainer and i will go from there. i dont care what i learn as long as its stand up

Just do whatever kind of standup your gym offers, if they offer kickboxing then do that, it'll save you money and awkward situations later on if you choose to fight. MT is probably the best but if its more convient for you to box/kickbox for now then do that.

At my gym they require you to take a certain amount of standup classes, and a certain amount of ground classes before you can do the MMA program, I would guess its more about meshing different martial arts together as opposed to being a substitute to a standup (which it is definitly not).

What I did before getting my first fight was I told my trainers that I wanted to compete MMA after training there for a couple months in both BJJ and kickboxing. Couple months later they came to me asking if I could make weight. My suggestion is let the trainers who know more than me and you decide when you compete, don't rush into anything, and it'll all work out. Just be ready to make weight because chances are you will be filling in for someone that drops out, and you'll need to fight in like 10 days. This has happened to me for my first 3 fights, my longest 'training camp' was 9 days :D

Hope this helped

Just do whatever kind of standup your gym offers' date=' if they offer kickboxing then do that, it'll save you money and awkward situations later on if you choose to fight. MT is probably the best but if its more convient for you to box/kickbox for now then do that.

At my gym they require you to take a certain amount of standup classes, and a certain amount of ground classes before you can do the MMA program, I would guess its more about meshing different martial arts together as opposed to being a substitute to a standup (which it is definitly not).

What I did before getting my first fight was I told my trainers that I wanted to compete MMA after training there for a couple months in both BJJ and kickboxing. Couple months later they came to me asking if I could make weight. My suggestion is let the trainers who know more than me and you decide when you compete, don't rush into anything, and it'll all work out. Just be ready to make weight because chances are you will be filling in for someone that drops out, and you'll need to fight in like 10 days. This has happened to me for my first 3 fights, my longest 'training camp' was 9 days :D

Hope this helped[/quote']

i sent my trainer an email about mma and if he says i can do it, i will do it. i probably will train in BJJ and whatever stand up they have to offer, and if i feel that im good at it i will talk to them about fighting. if they say i should keep on training, i will. but as you said, they know a lot more about it, so i will tell them and they can decide. thanks for the advice

also' date=' is there any age you have to be to fight. im only 15 but is there any laws that prohibit me from fighting. but as someone said, i hould rain for at least a year before i fight so i will at least be 16/17 before i fight[/quote']

do amatuer first so you get the hang of it. in AUS you cant punch the face when your on the ground, you can only punch the body. so use ur jitz on the ground. 18 is the the legal age when u can compete in pro mma, so if i was you i would go in some jitz comps, amatuer muay thai/boxing/mma events in your local town and keep on training. good luck mate.

do amatuer first so you get the hang of it. in AUS you cant punch the face when your on the ground' date=' you can only punch the body. so use ur jitz on the ground. 18 is the the legal age when u can compete in pro mma, so if i was you i would go in some jitz comps, amatuer muay thai/boxing/mma events in your local town and keep on training. good luck mate.[/quote']

i would start off in amatuer events first. i didnt know about not being able to punch in the face while on the ground in amatuer fights in aus. thanks for that. but i will probably start in BJJ events before trying my hand at MMA fights

Archived