If you can't fight your friends...

Doctor_Obviously

Why would you: I would treat it almost as a challenge, I would want to see who is personally better between myself and my friend.

Why wouldn't you: You wouldn't want to physically hurt your friend. You should go into ever fight with the mentality that you are going to destroy your opponent, and for some, it is hard to do that if your opponent is your friend.

I think GSP answered a question like this in a pretty recent interview. . too lazy to find the link.

But basically he said that he could never bring himself to fight a friend because fighing is not a game. He said something like you can "play" hockey and you can "play" football but you cannot "play" fighting. He then used the example of being in the mount position on a friend and knowing that when your dropping elbows into his forehead and eye sockets that there's a risk that you could permantly disable him for life or leave an irremovable scar. And he said he couldn't live with knowing he gave a friend brain damage or ended their career because of something he did.

I would fight an acquaintence or maybe even training partners if I didn't know them well. But I could never fight a close friend.

I think GSP answered a question like this in a pretty recent interview. . too lazy to find the link.

But basically he said that he could never bring himself to fight a friend because fighing is not a game. He said something like you can "play" hockey and you can "play" football but you cannot "play" fighting. He then used the example of being in the mount position on a friend and knowing that when your dropping elbows into his forehead and eye sockets that there's a risk that you could permantly disable him for life or leave an irremovable scar. And he said he couldn't live with knowing he gave a friend brain damage or ended their career because of something he did.

I would fight an acquaintence or maybe even training partners if I didn't know them well. But I could never fight a close friend.

Agreed 100%. If friends don't want to fight each other they shouldn't have to. I really can't see myself trying to knock out the same guy that I would take a bullet for in another situation.

for those who trained seriously in any combat art would agree with me. long time training partners tend to create incredibly solid bonds. you share sweat, blood and pain with these guys.. you spend most of your hours rolling with them, you trust them to the point that you let them grab your arm and twist it up to the very close edge where it could just break.

You don't want to fight these guys. you don't want to crush their dreams. you don't want to injure them. no way.

for those who gave many example of friends fighting each other, hendo vs rampage, chuck vs randy.. these guys never been training partners.. they didnt spend 60 hours a week together for years.

Unfortunately for us fans, there's a few stacked Training Camps out there... sometimes this can make some interresting match ups impossible.. but seriously, we can't expect them to fight each other.. the UFC need to deal with this. After all these same stack training camp teams help to bring the sport to an upper level of competition.

They are on a completey different level of competition. Each of their strikes, holds and slams have the possiblilty to do permanant damage. If you broke your friends back cause he landed wrong from a takedown and hes in a wheel chair for the rest of his life AND thats how he provides for his family, do you think you could do it? They are professionals, but they are still human.

First of all, you don't want to kill your training partner and when that training partner happens to be a close friend it would take a special kind of human being to be able to throw down with bad intent. Most divisions are big enough where a couple of friends wont ever need to fight. Kos/Fitch/Swick all at WW and all challengers yet have still managed to avoid each other for a very long time. I'm sure most of us wouldn't want to see a half **** effort between 2 buddies, which would be the end result if they were forced to fight each other. There are plenty of fights to be had and if a fighter doesn't want to step on his buddies toes and refuses a title fight against him, so be it.

for those who trained seriously in any combat art would agree with me. long time training partners tend to create incredibly solid bonds. you share sweat' date=' blood and pain with these guys.. you spend most of your hours rolling with them, you trust them to the point that you let them grab your arm and twist it up to the very close edge where it could just break.

You don't want to fight these guys. you don't want to crush their dreams. you don't want to injure them. no way.

for those who gave many example of friends fighting each other, hendo vs rampage, chuck vs randy.. these guys never been training partners.. they didnt spend 60 hours a week together for years.

Unfortunately for us fans, there's a few stacked Training Camps out there... sometimes this can make some interresting match ups impossible.. but seriously, we can't expect them to fight each other.. the UFC need to deal with this. After all these same stack training camp teams help to bring the sport to an upper level of competition.[/quote']

agree.and especially if your within the same training camp,its difficult because most of your strengths and weaknesses are already exposed with one another.with gsp,probably yes,you may fight some one from your camp but not a close friend.

for those who trained seriously in any combat art would agree with me. long time training partners tend to create incredibly solid bonds. you share sweat' date=' blood and pain with these guys.. you spend most of your hours rolling with them, you trust them to the point that you let them grab your arm and twist it up to the very close edge where it could just break.

Unfortunately for us fans, there's a few stacked Training Camps out there... sometimes this can make some interresting match ups impossible.. but seriously, we can't expect them to fight each other.. the UFC need to deal with this. After all these same stack training camp teams help to bring the sport to an upper level of competition.[/quote']

+1 From a fighter... very well said.

your obviously not a fighter.

Not sure how much that matters. I have close friends who I wouldn't want to fight.. I agree with the one poster who talked about GSP and his playing/fighting theory. I understand. A lifelong friendship is a lot different from guys who spent a few months together building bonds on TUF seasons. I guess I'm just thinking outside of the box on that one. I like to see best of the best fighting each other and if that means best friends (Silva/Machida), hell yeah! But I suppose it's ultimately up to them and that's respectable. Thank you all for the serious replies.

Archived