The Dos Santos' Hype

Donnybrook_89

Let's be objective here, guys. Analyze the 4 wins that Junior has in the UFC. Now, keep in mind, I am not doubting his potential, but I'd hate to see the kid get hurt so early in his career by throwing him in with a prime fighter.

His wins over a past-prime Cro Cop (same could be said of Yvel/Werdum) and the young fighter Stephan Struve have been impressive, yes, but can you really say he fought the fighters or just their name/legacy?

I'm not asking to be flamed, but maybe someone can rationally explain why this guy is ranked so highly by the fans. In my opinion, Junior has a long way to go and may possibly be slapped in the face when he faces a real, prime, top contender.

Those are just my thoughts. I wish JDS the best of luck, but I think it would be a let down to throw him in with the top contenders right now.

Because out of all the new HW's (Cain' date=' Carwin, and JDS) he has the most credible wins.[/quote']

I can agree with that. However, with numerous people claiming he is ready for a title shot, or at least a bout to secure a title shot, I begin to wonder what they see. Like I said, he has great potential, but his wins are nothing to be speaking of title-worthy, yet.

JDS has looked great so far in the UFC, and really has defeated a tougher list of opponents than either Carwin or Velasquez. He's got a great training camp with the Nogueira brothers, and has some of the best hands in the heavyweight division as well as a solid ground game. I think JDS should go far in the HW division, and has real potential to win the belt down the road.

I can agree with that. However' date=' with numerous people claiming he is ready for a title shot, or at least a bout to secure a title shot, I begin to wonder what they see. Like I said, he has great potential, but his wins are nothing to be speaking of title-worthy, yet.[/quote']

They see an embarassing UFC HW division and are grasping for straws. Just a guess though.

I can agree with that. However' date=' with numerous people claiming he is ready for a title shot, or at least a bout to secure a title shot, I begin to wonder what they see. Like I said, he has great potential, but his wins are nothing to be speaking of title-worthy, yet.[/quote']

True, but no one in the UFC HW division can really claim more legitimacy for the shot than JDS right now. His wins are more credible than Carwins or Velasquez. Big Nog lost to Mir, than beat Couture so he needs another win. Mir recently lost to Brock and since has only beat Kongo so he needs at least another win.

Its going to be Carwin because he was going to be given a title shot and Mir because of the hype involved in the return bout with Lesnar. The HW division is pretty muddled right now though and they need to have JDS fight the winner of Nog(which wont happen)/Velasquez for the next title shot.

They see an embarassing UFC HW division and are grasping for straws. Just a guess though.

maybe wouldn't have put it as bluntly as this but would have to agree, the HW decision has always been thin and the number of legit contenders would just be Nog & Mir if the young guys weren't given opportunities.

It's not that he just won these fights, he stopped all of these guys in brutal fashion. We have seen other fighters come into the ufc get one win and then a title shot ala Brock, Anderson Silva, Belfort.

I think he absolutely should be fighting for the #1 contender spot. I think he deserves it more than Frank Mir. Mir lost to Vera. Then won against Hardonik, Lesnar (lets be honest he got lucky there) and Nog. Then He got obliterated by Brock and won against kongo. I don't think he should be fighting for #1 contender. I personally believe it should be JDS and Carwin duking it out.

If he beats Gonzago hes 5-0 with some big wins and its not just who hes beat, its how hes beat them. He has been destroying everyone. Frank Mir, Nogueira, JDS, Cain and Carwin are the only contenders in the division so it might not be long before he gets a title shot and I think he would deserve it. Gonzago will be a tough fight though.

I believe JDS has the proper tools and training, but the experience is what he needs. My only concern with they hype revolving around him is that if he gets a shot at the title, whether the holder be Lesnar/Mir (given Mir beats Carwin which I see happening), do you guys think he has the skills to compete with those guys?

Sure, we've seen his hands. But do you think he can compete with a power wrestler like Lesnar? Or face the crushing submissions that Mir possesses?

I believe JDS has the proper tools and training' date=' but the experience is what he needs. My only concern with they hype revolving around him is that if he gets a shot at the title, whether the holder be Lesnar/Mir (given Mir beats Carwin which I see happening), do you guys think he has the skills to compete with those guys?

Sure, we've seen his hands. But do you think he can compete with a power wrestler like Lesnar? Or face the crushing submissions that Mir possesses?[/quote']

It's tough to say how well any of the HW division can compete with Lesnar right now. Certainly it would be good to see JDS tested against someone with great wrestling like Velasquez before he faces a beast like Lesnar, but he does have to power to put Lesnar's lights out with one punch.

As far as Mir goes, he would probably have some trouble taking JDS down, but Mir's striking has also been getting better and better, so he might be able to win the fight standing too. I think that would be a great matchup.

And I also don't think people should be looking fast Gonzaga, either. He's a dangerous fighter, and he will be a great test for JDS. That fight will tell us a lot about how ready JDS is to compete at the top of the division.

I believe this will be the best year ever in the UFC HW division for talent- the next couple of months have some great fights lined up, and Brock's coming back this summer. Good stuff in the works. :)

If he beats Gonzago hes 5-0 with some big wins and its not just who hes beat' date=' [b']its how hes beat them. He has been destroying everyone.[/b] Frank Mir, Nogueira, JDS, Cain and Carwin are the only contenders in the division so it might not be long before he gets a title shot and I think he would deserve it. Gonzago will be a tough fight though.

Completely agree with your post, especially the bolded part. HOW they (Dos Santos and Carwin) have beaten them is incredibly impressive. I cannot wait for the Gonzaga/Dos Santos fight since it will tell a lot about Dos Santos. I really hope at some point it goes to the ground but honestly Dos Santos might knock him out before that happens.

But about your whole how they beat them part, ladies and gentlemen this is why pillow hands Velasquez is not in title contention. If you want to justify him fighting Lesnar he needs this thing called power and an ability to convincingly finish his fights. This is why Carwin and Mir are fighting for an interim title.

Carwin demolished Gonzaga in a round after being rocked and has not even made it past the halfway point of the first round in any of his fights. DAMN!

Velasquez pounded on Kongo over and over and decisioned him. Mir took Kongo out in just over a minute. Guess who just leap frogged over Velasquez? You go it.

In my mind, if Dos Santos beats Gonzaga and Big Nog runs out of time to win against Velasquez (let's be real, Velasquez cannot finish Nogueira) I say Dos Santos and Velasquez need to fight for the winner of the championship unification match.

but only 1 win in the octagon over Hearing is ????

He and Carwin are in the same boat. They are both undefeated yet people continue to go on about how they haven't fought any big names.

An undefeated record is not in itself super impressive (Cain) but an undefeated record by way of blasting through all opponents inside one round is, and past his prime or not, the JDS beatdown of Cro-Cop was very impressive.

The Gonzaga fight will hopefully give more of a clue where he stands in the groundgame. But even if Gonzaga can't get the TD and JDS knocks him out quickly, it puts him right up at the top of the division.

I don't put Gonzaga any higher in the ground game than Werdum, and we all saw that worked out for Fab.

I think that this hype could be for real, he trains with the best camp in the world at Black House. Noguiera brothers training you in BJJ and Anderson Silva helping him with his striking definetely warrents some attention. 4 Fights and 4 Finishes as well as the fact that Werdum was ranked really high when he got KTFO, dismantled (albeit an over the hill) Cro Cop and KO'ing a very difficult Gilbert Yvel in 2 minutes. He may not go undefeated in the UFC but he is only 25 and has tons of talent and the potential to be a champion one day !!!

but only 1 win in the octagon over Hearing is ????

i dont agree that he desrved the title shot after this fight but it was very impressive first dropped heath rolling back wards then dominating him the whole fight

nobody has ever been so dominate over Heath nobody

so i beleive he should get some brownie points for that

Dos Santos is legit. He has at the least proven he should be considered a viable contender. Let him fight Gonzaga. If all goes well give him a fight with Mir or Carwin. If he gets through them...title shot. I'd say Velasquez but I truly believe HE has been a product of hype FAR more than Dos Santos...while Dos Santos beats stiff competition. Cain has been given opponents that stylistically favor him. I think Dos Santos destroys Cain and I'd love to see it. But for ME his beating Cain wouldn't mean he's ready for a title shot because I don't think Cain has proven he's an elite yet.

Cheers

-DR

Let's be objective here' date=' guys. Analyze the 4 wins that Junior has in the UFC. Now, keep in mind, I am not doubting his potential, but I'd hate to see the kid get hurt so early in his career by throwing him in with a prime fighter.

His wins over a past-prime Cro Cop (same could be said of Yvel/Werdum) and the young fighter Stephan Struve have been impressive, yes, but can you really say he fought the fighters or just their name/legacy?

I'm not asking to be flamed, but maybe someone can rationally explain why this guy is ranked so highly by the fans. In my opinion, Junior has a long way to go and may possibly be slapped in the face when he faces a real, prime, top contender.

Those are just my thoughts. I wish JDS the best of luck, but I think it would be a let down to throw him in with the top contenders right now.[/quote']

Are you serious,hes won 4 in a row,and its not lik hes won them by decision,hes got them all by ko or tko,3 in the 1st round...How can you doubt him...If he puts on an impressive fight against Gonzaga,he should be next for a title shot,even tho he went get it..

Werdum is a top HW and he handled him' date=' Dos santos has shown great power but his technique needs to be improved alot on his feet. His chin looks very good and we still havent really seen his ground game so who knows.[/quote']

dude his technique needs to be imporved a lot on his feet? went toe to toe with Cro Cop, Yvel....2 great strikers. Your a silly F'er ya know that

The UFC has the most talented fighters in the world. That being said, I just scrolled through the list of the organizations heavyweights, and I have to say it's a pretty weak roster. Where are all the NCAA D1 All-Americans? Virtually no one has a wrestling background at all. Heavyweights not having the mobility of the lighter fighters need to have a solid wrestling base. Now, will a small heavyweight with a ton of mobility and pretty good striking (Dos Santos) be able to take out a huge, athletic former NCAA D1 Champion (Brock)? Probably not. If so, it would be a really boring fight with a lot of circling, and feints til hopefully Brock gets tired and he can land some clean ones. Does Dos Santos have better cardio? Can a smallish heavyweight knock out the largest one in the UFC? We may find out.

He has looked good in his fights undoubtedly and his up and coming test against Gonzaga puts him close to contention. When comparing him against the other up and comer Carwin though consider Carwin hasn't fought since the Gonzaga match so it's simply a situation where JDS is fresh in everyone's mind which is why he gets alot of attention currently.

If he wins against Gonzag imho he still needs to face a Mir, Carwin, Nog before he gets a shot imho. I'm really not convinced Cro Cop is a good test any longer with the current talent pool, don't know enough about Yvel's current state (yes he looked good in the past outside of the UFC but so did Cro Cop.......), a win over Struve isn't that great imho atleast not in Struve's current form, and I still have yet to watch the fight with Werdum.

And regarding the talent pool of the HW division I think it's very very deep right now. In fact the only division I see deeper or the same would be welter weight and LHW with LHW being maybe a bit deeper.

Those are just my thoughts. I wish JDS the best of luck' date=' but I think it would be a let down to throw him in with the top contenders right now.[/quote']

I agree with you...I see a guy who looks like he has some potential but I'm not completely sold on him or Velasquez either. At least not as sold as some appear to be.

i dont think it matters about his wins ... if he is ready then he is ready .. brock for example .. walked in and is now the champ .. jds can do the same .. he is in the mix for a reason ... and he will be there for a very long time .. he has a good chance of walking through everyone .. so let him ..what are you gonna do ? feed him lower opponents ?? for how long ?

Least from Valasquez we've seen a ground game' date=' and a bit of stand up![/quote']

They both look like guys being groomed as easy wins for Lesnar, not overly huge heavyweights, decent stand-up but not exactly spectacular on the ground...exactly the kind of opponent that Brock can bum rush put on their back and hammerfist away at for the stoppage.

They both look like guys being groomed as easy wins for Lesnar' date=' not overly huge heavyweights, decent stand-up but not exactly spectacular on the ground...exactly the kind of opponent that Brock can bum rush put on their back and hammerfist away at for the stoppage.[/quote']

I agree with you, I think Cain would make bigger waves a lhw

JDS is the best HW in the UFC.

He is the best HW period outside of Fedor.

None of the so-called top 5 UFC HWs will even talk about him' date=' let alone fight him.[/quote']

I agree with this. If anything JSD doesnt get enough credit. I think he would beat Brock, Mir, Carwin, Velasquez....

Let's be objective here' date=' guys. Analyze the 4 wins that Junior has in the UFC. Now, keep in mind, I am not doubting his potential, but I'd hate to see the kid get hurt so early in his career by throwing him in with a prime fighter.

Those are just my thoughts. I wish JDS the best of luck, but I think it would be a let down to throw him in with the top contenders right now.[/quote']

I wouldn't put Yvel and Werdum in a "washed up" state yet. Yvel was still a caged animal ready to go--the guy is known for his amazing KO power, but JDS walked right up to him and knocked his lights out.

Struve: he's great, and everyone knows that.

JDS may have beaten "cans" so call them, but he did it in absolutely devastating fashion... A fashion that nobody else has really managed against them. (Discluding Yvel, I know very little of his pride career.)

Gonzaga is going to be JDS' most valid test yet, and I expect him to win. I don't see JDS walking right in and knocking Gonzaga out, I think that Gonzaga will hang around for a while and it could go to a decision.

It's sure as heck gonna be an amazing fight: a must see.

I wouldn't put Yvel and Werdum in a "washed up" state yet. Yvel was still a caged animal ready to go--the guy is known for his amazing KO power' date=' but JDS walked right up to him and knocked his lights out.

Struve: he's great, and everyone knows that.

JDS may have beaten "cans" so call them, but he did it in absolutely devastating fashion... A fashion that nobody else has really managed against them. (Discluding Yvel, I know very little of his pride career.)

Gonzaga is going to be JDS' most valid test yet, and I expect him to win. I don't see JDS walking right in and knocking Gonzaga out, I think that Gonzaga will hang around for a while and it could go to a decision.

It's sure as heck gonna be an amazing fight: a must see.[/quote']

Agree with almost everything.... but... Gonzaga more valid than Werdum? I'm going to assume that's a joke (no disrespect).

Or more valid than Yvel at that.

Agree with almost everything.... but... Gonzaga more valid than Werdum? I'm going to assume that's a joke (no disrespect).

Werdum is a beast, but he is a little bit past his prime now... I don't know a whole lot about him either, my apologies.

Werdum is a beast' date=' but he is a little bit past his prime now... I don't know a whole lot about him either, my apologies.[/quote']

He beat Gonzaga twice. So I fail to see how Gonzaga would be a more valid test than him.

Werdum is only 32 years old. I think people just assume he's "past his prime" because he doesn't fight in the UFC anymore.

I think he should get a shot if for nothing else than to make the HW division a little more interesting. If Mir beats Carwin it will lead to another match up against Brock and who wants that apart from Mir? It will mean that out of five fights in the UFC, three will be against the same opponent. Yawn!

Dos Santos can knockout any heavy weight .

• 2 weeks later...

Werdum is a beast' date=' but he is a little bit past his prime now... I don't know a whole lot about him either, my apologies.[/quote']

He beat Gonzaga twice. So I fail to see how Gonzaga would be a more valid test than him.

Werdum is only 32 years old. I think people just assume he's "past his prime" because he doesn't fight in the UFC anymore.

werdum is no joke, got caught early by a jds uppercut (lesson learned) .. went the distance w/ rodrigo & you can bet emelianenko is taking this match dead-serious ... word !

Archived