Comic book fans unite!

HappyHamer

After umming and ahhhing in another thread, I have decided to start a comic book thread. If, like me, you are a fan of the genre, then let me know what I should be reading, and I can hopefully point you in the direction of some good reads.

I'll start by recommending Y The Last Man by Brian K Vaughan, soon to be made into a film with Shia LeBoeuf, about a man who finds that he is the last remaining male on earth, apart form his pet monkey, Ampersand.

Also try, Robert Kirkmans The Walking Dead, which chronicles the ongoing struggles of a small band of people drawn together by the need to survive an apocalyptic and unexplained zombie outbreak.

KIng of the comics for me has to be Frank Miller, and not just for his Batman which u know i'm a fan of but also the Daredevils, Sin City, 300 plus all the marvel guys.

He actually wrote a screen play for Batman: Year One which had a director already booked and everything but the movie guys pulled out in favour of Batman Begins. Just thought i'd drop a bit more B'man knowledge on ya.

KIng of the comics for me has to be Frank Miller' date=' and not just for his Batman which u know i'm a fan of but also the Daredevils, Sin City, 300 plus all the marvel guys.

He actually wrote a screen play for Batman: Year One which had a director already booked and everything but the movie guys pulled out in favour of Batman Begins. Just thought i'd drop a bit more B'man knowledge on ya.[/quote']

Batman Begins is pretty similar to Miller's Year One storyline.

Y: The Last Man is an excellent book.

Also the Blackest Night event that DC is doing right now is pretty fricken cool. I've just gotten into Green Lanterm and I have to say it's really quite great. The Sinestro Corps War was awesome.

fedor.gif

Y: The Last Man is an excellent book.

Also the Blackest Night event that DC is doing right now is pretty fricken cool. I've just gotten into Green Lanterm and I have to say it's really quite great. The Sinestro Corps War was awesome.

I've never really been into DC stuff too much, but 52 was a great project. I will eventually read Blackest Night, as soon as my uber-geek friend collects it all.

Well, here's my current pull list with DCBS

Green Lantern

Green lantern Corp

Blackest Night

All the one shot Blackest Night Tie Ins

Adventure Comics

Flash

Booster Gold

Batman & Robin

The Walking Dead

Chew

Jericho

Image United (I'm dropping this piece of dookie)

Haunt (Going to drop this as well)

As soon as this Blackest Night thing ends I'll prob be picking up a few other series.

I'm looking forward to the regular Flash Series, Birds of Prey, Brightest Day bi-weekly, and JLA (Geoff Johns is taking over right?)

Well' date=' here's my current pull list with DCBS

Green Lantern

Green lantern Corp

Blackest Night

All the one shot Blackest Night Tie Ins

Adventure Comics

Flash

Booster Gold

Batman & Robin

The Walking Dead

Chew

Jericho

Image United (I'm dropping this piece of dookie)

Haunt (Going to drop this as well)

As soon as this Blackest Night thing ends I'll prob be picking up a few other series.

I'm looking forward to the regular Flash Series, Birds of Prey, Brightest Day bi-weekly, and JLA (Geoff Johns is taking over right?)[/quote']

I've got a few of the JLA collections from Grant Morrisons' run. Never heard of Chew and Jericho, so I'll look into them, I read a little oddity called Lucha Libre about 5 guys in Luchadore masks who protect their community, and take flak from their wives. It's a little surreal but funny.

I've got a few of the JLA collections from Grant Morrisons' run. Never heard of Chew and Jericho' date=' so I'll look into them, I read a little oddity called Lucha Libre about 5 guys in Luchadore masks who protect their community, and take flak from their wives. It's a little surreal but funny.[/quote']

I wouldn't bother with Jericho unless you watched the tv show. As for Chrew, it's turning out to be a really good series. It's basically about a world where Chickens are banned due to something like the Avian Flu. The FDA has been given FBI like powers to investigate illegal Chicken dealings. The main character has a power that allows him to tap the memories of an animal/person just by eating a piece of them. Because of this power he gets recruited to try to solve crimes. Sounds weird, but it's really well done.

KIng of the comics for me has to be Frank Miller' date=' and not just for his Batman which u know i'm a fan of but also the Daredevils, Sin City, 300 plus all the marvel guys.

He actually wrote a screen play for Batman: Year One which had a director already booked and everything but the movie guys pulled out in favour of Batman Begins. Just thought i'd drop a bit more B'man knowledge on ya.[/quote']

Miller's Sin City was great. The movie adaptation was spectacular as well. :)

Batman owns all, spawn is a close second

great reads

Batman : The Long Halloween

Watchmen

V For Vendetta

The Walking Dead

Fables

Fell

Criminal

Green Lanterns Blackest Night

100 Bullets

Just A Pilgrim

Old Logan (wolverine is last super hero alive on earth)

Supreme Power

Punisher (Max Series by Garth Ennis)

The Maxx

Preacher

Hitman (DC)

Marvel Zombies Series

Batman owns all' date=' spawn is a close second

great reads

Batman : The Long Halloween

[u']Watchmen[/u]

V For Vendetta

The Walking Dead

Fables

Fell

Criminal

Green Lanterns Blackest Night

100 Bullets

Just A Pilgrim

Old Logan (wolverine is last super hero alive on earth)

Supreme Power

Punisher (Max Series by Garth Ennis)

The Maxx

Preacher

Hitman (DC)

Marvel Zombies Series

Man, you are suffering with a serious case of awesome overload.

If you like Garth Ennis (and the evidence suggests you do), check out The Chronicles of Wormwood.

• 2 weeks later...
I've just finished reading Ultimatum' date=' which brings an to an end the first decade of Marvels Ultimate line, and man it's bleak. Genocide, cannibalism and murder. Looking forward to reading The Punisher for a bit of comic relief![/quote']

im an old boy so i nearly had a heart attack when i went into a comic book store recently,RED HULK,ANTI-VENOM,DARK WOLVERINE(wasnt he already dark)?oh and everybody now knows who SPIDERMAN is? ZOMBIE MARVEL HEROES?SUPER HERO REGISTRATION?, WTF IS GOING ON??????????

im an old boy so i nearly had a heart attack when i went into a comic book store recently' date='RED HULK,ANTI-VENOM,DARK WOLVERINE(wasnt he already dark)?oh and everybody now knows who SPIDERMAN is? ZOMBIE MARVEL HEROES?SUPER HERO REGISTRATION?, WTF IS GOING ON??????????[/quote']

Yeah, it's been pretty hectic in the Marvel Universe lately, They've done a series of big crossover events such as Avengers Disassembled, House of M, Decimation, Civil War, World War Hulk, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign and Seige. There's been some good stuff written.

Nice selection especially Dark Wolverine. Havent had a chance to indulge recently' date=' stuck inGeoff Thompson's biography at the moment, "watch my back", don't know if you have heard of him at all but its a hell of a violent book and well written.[/quote']

its a great book i loved it,still one of the best biographies ive ever read i really liked his take on life.

Heyhey' date=' welcome back. I missed the "incident" and was a bit worried you were perma, but thankfully not.[/quote']

nah couple of days for posting a message for cryptic,he asked and hes a pal so i did it,its no biggie i spose i deserved it.missed you guys though bit dissapointed you boys hav'nt kept up the movie trivia thread.

Sandman, like lots of people here, it seems. Dave McKean's covers were things of beauty. Also, his art for 'Arkham Asylum'.

One little pearl I enjoyed, but never got the whole run: 'Shade the Changing Man', a pretty trippy story taking in loads of American icons.

Greatest unfinished work: Alan Moore's 'Big Numbers', which never saw completion.

I also used to love this quirky, silly little number, 'Tales of the Beanworld'. Impossible to read without smiling at the daftness of it.

And I always remember a comic from when I was a really young kid in the 70s, and I can't find it anywhere (been looking for it for years), one of the Marvel (I think) stand alone pulpy 'Amazing tales' type of title about huge shadow people from another dimension coexisting with us.

One little pearl I enjoyed' date=' but never got the whole run: 'Shade the Changing Man', a pretty trippy story taking in loads of American icons. [/quote']

Shade is a great book. I've only read a collection of the first 6 issues, but it struck me as being the kind of thing Grant Morrisson wanted to write when he grows up.

Has anyone ever read Lost Girls by Alan Moore. That's the kind of thing that will make those Disney films you watched as a kid seem a long way away!

After umming and ahhhing in another thread' date=' I have decided to start a comic book thread. If, like me, you are a fan of the genre, then let me know what I should be reading, and I can hopefully point you in the direction of some good reads.

I'll start by recommending Y The Last Man by Brian K Vaughan, soon to be made into a film with Shia LeBoeuf, about a man who finds that he is the last remaining male on earth, apart form his pet monkey, Ampersand.

Also try, Robert Kirkmans The Walking Dead, which chronicles the ongoing struggles of a small band of people drawn together by the need to survive an apocalyptic and unexplained zombie outbreak.[/quote']

Shia LeIcan'tact shouldn't be in any movie after he single handedly ruines Transformers and Indiana Jones.

On a personal note, Sinestro Corps Wars was a very good series and a great read.

Shia LeIcan'tact shouldn't be in any movie after he single handedly ruines Transformers and Indiana Jones.

On a personal note' date=' Sinestro Corps Wars was a very good series and a great read.[/quote']

I didn't actually mind Afraid of Thebeefs turn in Transformers, but I've not seen the sequel or indeed anything else he's done.

And Sinestro Corps Wars was pretty good. I'm back on Jack Of Fables at the moment.

I didn't actually mind Afraid of Thebeefs turn in Transformers' date=' but I've not seen the sequel or indeed anything else he's done.

And Sinestro Corps Wars was pretty good. I'm back on Jack Of Fables at the moment.[/quote']

I'm waiting for Blackest Night to come out so I can read that.

Although you may think it childish, Calvin in Hobbes is possibly the greatest comic ever. You should read it, all the time.

I'm waiting for Blackest Night to come out so I can read that.

Although you may think it childish' date=' Calvin in Hobbes is possibly the greatest comic ever. You should read it, all the time.[/quote']

I haven't read any Calvin and Hobbes for a while, but if you like that blend of pathos and humour, all contained in 3-4 panels, you should pick up Judd Winicks Frumpy The Clown collections.

I haven't read any Calvin and Hobbes for a while' date=' but if you like that blend of pathos and humour, all contained in 3-4 panels, you should pick up Judd Winicks Frumpy The Clown collections.[/quote']

Well Calvin and Hobbes comics are known for their non-traditional 6-10 panels. Still, it gives such a life lesson and is so funny at the same time. They are by no means children's comics.

Well Calvin and Hobbes comics are known for their non-traditional 6-10 panels. Still' date=' it gives such a life lesson and is so funny at the same time. They are by no means children's comics.[/quote']

I remember reading them in collected volumes and being amazed by how much emotion they could fit into such a small narrative space. And Spaceman Spiff is cool too!

Archived