Don Frye

Gamfather

A friend of mine text me to say the following last night...

"I hope you're sitting down, word has it Don Frye could very well be on his way back to UFC".

I thought surely not, I looked on this forum...my search function didn't work so I scanned a few pages of posts and nothing.

Then I found this...

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/wrestling-wwe-ufc-mma/2010/01/don-frye-set-for-octagon-retur.html

If this is old news I apologise, I did try the conventional methods of avoiding the flame.

Don Frye would be pretty irrelevant in today's UFC. Old school fighter like him are too one dimentional to compete. Even Chuck and Tito are pretty much redundant in terms of fighting styles now.

I so agree, thats why so many fights go to decision because its a way more level playing field. I cant believe they are letting Chuck and Tito do the TUF, Liddell must have bills to pay from not fighting , and with his glass jaw and Tito's slow speed, this is going to be one of the most boring TUF's ever. Before i get the hate posts against my thoughts, I just want it to be known, Chuck in his day was one heck of a fighter, but as any fighter knows, once that button becomes so damaged , it just gets worse, and it wont even have to be a huge punch/kick to trigger the knee buckling fall down. Tito looked worse at 100 % than he ever did at 80% when his back was out, that fight against Forrest, wow it was like watching paint dry, he's slow with takedowns, he's got no spectacular stand up, why would Dana have these 2 hosting the show .. sigh, so many other choices he coulda made, but we all know he has his faves (liddell) and he's just helping him out financially.

Don comes from the era of fighting where it was about just being tough...He does have nasty punching power, good wrestling background, and one hell of a chin.....Id say Frye is pretty much a 20 yr older Carwin...And when it comes to his toughness, its kinda hard to just count him out....

Don Frye is a great fighter who has good boxing and wrestling skills, and he also evolved from fight to fight. Remember Don submitted an opponent via an ankle lock, also submitted Tank with a rear naked choke, and used the guard very effectively.

Man, I would love to see Frye again, especially against Toney, as a starter as the age is pretty much the same. Then, from there Dana can take it to choosing higher echelon fighters.

I mean look at Randy, sometimes age is just a number, as long as you age gracefully and youthfully, you can still fight top guys into the older years.

I see it Frye testing the boxing waters initially with Toney, then taking him down, winning via submission or ground and pound, but it will still be interesting to see the fight because of Toney's spectacular boxing career history being put on the line in an mma fight.

and you never know Toney may be able to parlay his boxing to adapt to MMA.

Sure Chuck & Tito aren't the fighters they used to be; but don't you think their skills can be utilized as coaches for T.U.F.?? I remember watching both fighters as a coaches on T.U.F.

At the time I had no respect for Tito as a fighter. I thought he was an arrogant a$$; but he proved to be an great coach. At least a better coach than Shamrock...

As for Chuck; he was the reason I started watching the UFC in the first place. Even if he can't fight like he used to he still has the skills to pay the bills & pass that knowledge along to other fighters as a coach.

don fizzle fry ... he is going to fight light out toney...

I hope he doe's come back.. maybe a rematch with coleman? who knows but I know this I hope they VOTE him in the HALL OF FAME .. the fight with Yoshihiro Takayama at PRIDE 21.. was probably the best fight to date .. as far as just standing in front of one another and just SLUGGIN SLUGGIN.

Don Frye would be pretty irrelevant in today's UFC. Old school fighter like him are too one dimentional to compete. Even Chuck and Tito are pretty much redundant in terms of fighting styles now.

Agreed.. chuck just stands with the lazy haymaker and tito just shoots for double's..

But if you seen from the last Chuck fights he has been trying to switch it up. Taking down Shogun and Wanderli....

Chuck the greatest lhw champion of all time

did i contradict myself.. let me be clear..... Chuck and Tito have not change there styles are the same. Tito for some ODE REASON don't like to pratice standing and punching and chuck just sit back with his looping jap and waits for the HAYMAKER...

But what I have been saying is that Chuck has been taking fighters . rather it be for GnP or whatever.. I think he is trying to swich it up or he just couldn't handle the striking ? IDK.. IMO he was switching it up./.

Archived