Maia?

Marshall498

I know Nate killed him pretty quickly but does anyone see some serious skills in this guy or do you think he is just a one trick pony with his off the charts Bjj ? I personally think this guy once he learns how to punch and maybe defend a punch will be a top ten 185 pounder later on...

i like maia and his ground game he needs to work on his stand up so he can set up a take down but dont do a kos and try to become a stand up guy not happening

Someone voted one trick ponie lmao' date=' Maia is top 5 in the world at that weight, he got caught by Nate who is probably top 3. I suppose GSP was a one trick pony when Serra caught him.[/quote']

try 2 comprehend what he is saying bro, if thats possible...all of mias fight have been by submission or decision..and 1 knockout by raul sosa.he needs 2 be an sesame street that guy sucked badly ..in any case..when he was faced with a good striker like nate..he went 2 sleep...hes 2 weak for the middle weight division..any good wrestler ..relatively good stand up can get past by him easily..he is great with submissions...but 2 be honest all those mma ranking r baised...in my book he isnt in the top 10...but thats my opinion and we r all entitled 2 our opinions

look at dan miller..know for his submissions...when he faced chael sonnen it was another storyhis ju jitsu didnt pay off..it was predictable

Yeah you can say that but when Chael faced Maia....his bjj is on a whole different planet compared to Millers..no disrespect or anything, but thats a terrible comparason

and making the comparison of gsp and mia...1 trick pony is in my book pretty silly...gsp is known for his stand up and wrestling...gud jui jitsu..mia is known for his submission...serra was lucky...look at serra know...

Even allowing for online forum laziness, I have to think anyone who spells good as "gud" and now as "know" might warrant not being taken seriously.

Maia is top 10 for sure. I think his stand up is a little better than people give him credit for. He got knocked out quick and bad in his last fight and like typical UFC fans everyone jumped off the band wagon. Before that everyone thought he posed a serious threat in the division. UFC fans are so fickle it's nuts. I wouldn't say his stand up is great or necessarily good, but I do think it's better than most give him credit for. Nate is an awesome fighter, and he caught Maia jumping in and popped him in the chin. It happened to Faber over in the WEC as well. It happens.

Also, the person who said that stand up fighters are better one dimensional fighters than ground fighters wins the award for dumbest post of the week. When was the last time you saw a world champion that was solely a stand up artist and had no real ground game? Before you say Liddell please remember he was a really good wrestler before he went to MMA. You might feel like Machida, but he's got a black belt in BJJ. If Dan Hardy beats GSP he will be one of a very very select few. There's a reason that the jobber status of the UFC is stunningly packed with people who are strikers with underdeveloped ground games. If you're going to be one dimensional in one thing, it had better be the ground game.

Even allowing for online forum laziness' date=' I have to think anyone who spells good as "gud" and now as "know" might warrant not being taken seriously.

[/quote']

Really??? Even considering that probably half of members here are not native English speakers? How many foreign languages do you speak, dude?

Even allowing for online forum laziness' date=' I have to think anyone who spells good as "gud" and now as "know" might warrant not being taken seriously.

Maia is top 10 for sure. I think his stand up is a little better than people give him credit for. He got knocked out quick and bad in his last fight and like typical UFC fans everyone jumped off the band wagon. Before that everyone thought he posed a serious threat in the division. UFC fans are so fickle it's nuts. I wouldn't say his stand up is great or necessarily good, but I do think it's better than most give him credit for. Nate is an awesome fighter, and he caught Maia jumping in and popped him in the chin. It happened to Faber over in the WEC as well. It happens.

Also, the person who said that stand up fighters are better one dimensional fighters than ground fighters wins the award for dumbest post of the week. When was the last time you saw a world champion that was solely a stand up artist and had no real ground game? Before you say Liddell please remember he was a really good wrestler before he went to MMA. You might feel like Machida, but he's got a black belt in BJJ. If Dan Hardy beats GSP he will be one of a very very select few. There's a reason that the jobber status of the UFC is stunningly packed with people who are strikers with underdeveloped ground games. If you're going to be one dimensional in one thing, it had better be the ground game.[/quote']

If GSP loses, lmao oh I loved that part of your post.

try 2 comprehend what he is saying bro' date=' if thats possible...all of mias fight have been by submission or decision..and 1 knockout by raul sosa.he needs 2 be an sesame street that guy sucked badly ..in any case..when he was faced with a good striker like nate..he went 2 sleep...hes 2 weak for the middle weight division..any good wrestler ..relatively good stand up can get past by him easily..he is great with submissions...but 2 be honest all those mma ranking r baised...in my book he isnt in the top 10...but thats my opinion and we r all entitled 2 our opinions[/quote']

Youre dillusional and should stick to music cuz you obviously dont know mma if you think Maia isnt top 10. The dude has toyed with all of his opponents and has pwned them, you should try and comprehend that there are two main facets to most fighters, strikers and ground. Being one of the best in the world at one and having an amazing record doesnt make you a one trick pony. Not top 10 lmao.

try 2 comprehend what he is saying bro' date=' if thats possible...all of mias fight have been by submission or decision..and 1 knockout by raul sosa.he needs 2 be an sesame street that guy sucked badly ..in any case..when he was faced with a good striker like nate..he went 2 sleep...[b']hes 2 weak for the middle weight division..any good wrestler ..relatively good stand up can get past by him easily..[/b]he is great with submissions...but 2 be honest all those mma ranking r baised...in my book he isnt in the top 10...but thats my opinion and we r all entitled 2 our opinions

Hmm, it's Chael Sonnen a good wrestler? But yes by all means Sonnen easily got by Maia. If by got by Maia involves winding up on the wrong end of a highlight reel first round submission of the night.

I get what you're saying, though your lack of grammar skills caused me to read it over about three times so I culd get W@t U wR3 saying!!!!11! That aside, how can you say Maia is not top 10? He had dominated in the UFC until he ran into Nate (who is easily top three) and was not exactly fighting slouches before than. Sure he fought some gatekeepers, like most do when they enter the most talent rich fighting organization in the world, but he stormed plenty of them and finished every fight. Having first round subs over Quarry and Sonnen (who is currently ranked) is no joke.

Archived