Tank Abbott, UFC Legend

TapUout1

(MOD EDIT)

Few fighters come on the scene and get the immediate following that Tank did. The guy might not be a LEGEND as a fighter but was a huge draw when he burst on to the scene and i remember me and my boys couldnt wait to the next event to see this guy fight BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY WHAT HE SAYS.

Here's some quotes:

“Okay. Right here, I’m tickling his brain.” - Tank Abbott while watching a replay in which he presses his opponent’s head into the cage.

“After a match, my opponent goes to the hospital and gets an IV, and I have a martini.” - Tank Abbott

“You know, I just went from the barstool to the Octagon.” - Tank Abbott

“You get on ****r Street…you make a right turn…you’re back to Main.” - Tank Abbott

“Beating people up is a positive thing.” - Tank Abbott

“Isn’t that the guy on the coffee can?” - Tank Abbott on his Brazilian opponent, Hugo Duarte.

“I dreamed that I was being raped by Freddy Mercury.” - Tank Abbott after losing to Dan Severn.

“When I go in there, I’m not going in there to win. I’m going in there to fight.” - Tank Abbott

“What? Did he just win the Olympics?” - Tank Abbott after the crowd goes wild during a match.

“He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day and looks like a ***** today.” - Tank Abbott

“In a real fight in a bar, you wouldn’t be able to lay on your back like a *****. You might catch a pool cue to the back of the head.” - Tank Abbott

“I’m starting to get sexually aroused right now. You better get that off.” - Tank Abbott after watching a replay of his knockout of John Matua.

“Here’s where I hit him with the light switch.” - Tank Abbott commenting on his knockout of Steve Nelmark.

“All of a sudden, Magnum P.I. has got an attitude.” - Tank Abbott on Dan Severn

“He was in an ambulance on the way to the hospital, while I was laughing about it at the bar, having some ****tails.” - Tank Abbott

Tank was a fighter, not an MMA guy, he just used to fight for an MMA organization. Nonetheless, he is the reason a lot of people love cage fighting now. He is the epitome of what an old school cage fighter is. And he fought in the right era...because if he was fighting today he wouldn't make it past the amateur level.

Tank was a fighter' date=' not an MMA guy, he just used to fight for an MMA organization. Nonetheless, he is the reason a lot of people love cage fighting now. He is the epitome of what an old school cage fighter is. And he fought in the right era...because if he was fighting today he wouldn't make it past the amateur level.[/quote']

he is still fighting i think haha

If you think Tank is not a legend then you don't know much about the sport, love him or hate him he added personality to the MMA world. He also showed up for to be a replacement for ANY fight even if he knew he couldn't win to keep main events alive regardless of injuries.

If you think Tank is not a legend then you don't know much about the sport' date=' love him or hate him he added personality to the MMA world. He also showed up for to be a replacement for ANY fight even if he knew he couldn't win to keep main events alive regardless of injuries.[/quote']

Well said

If you think Tank is not a legend then you don't know much about the sport' date=' love him or hate him he added personality to the MMA world. He also showed up for to be a replacement for ANY fight even if he knew he couldn't win to keep main events alive regardless of injuries.[/quote']

so says the brock lesnar fan..and if u dont consider fedor a legend u know nothing about mma agreed?

I f'ing hated Tank, and I still do. That being said, he riled up just about everyone I knew back in the early days and we just couldn't get enough of his antics. What I mean is that we marvelled at his kills, and loved it when he got wrecked. He was a spectacle. I hated him because I thought he didn't belong, and I couldn't stand his attitude and lack of respect. However I cracked up at the same time and watched those knockouts again and again. I knew I wasn't watching anything more than a brute, but I loved seeing the smashing and hearing his comments. Abbott was the first real bad boy of MMA. However, he made it look more like WWE and that made me cringe. The sport is better withouth him, much much much better. Still, we cannot ignore that he fired people up and got people in seats and on ppv. Love him or hate him, he did just that. I wouldn't ever say legend, but he was part of the early days and one of the many pieces of the puzzle that helped the UFC rise. He doesn't need a trophy or a title, just a reasonably worthy footnote.

Abbott-Nelmark-2.gif[/img]

Few fighters come on the scene and get the immediate following that Tank did. The guy might not be a LEGEND as a fighter but was a huge draw when he burst on to the scene and i remember me and my boys couldnt wait to the next event to see this guy fight BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY WHAT HE SAYS.

Here's some quotes:

“Okay. Right here' date=' I’m tickling his brain.” - Tank Abbott while watching a replay in which he presses his opponent’s head into the cage.

“After a match, my opponent goes to the hospital and gets an IV, and I have a martini.” - Tank Abbott

“You know, I just went from the barstool to the Octagon.” - Tank Abbott

“You get on ****r Street…you make a right turn…you’re back to Main.” - Tank Abbott

“Beating people up is a positive thing.” - Tank Abbott

“Isn’t that the guy on the coffee can?” - Tank Abbott on his Brazilian opponent, Hugo Duarte.

“I dreamed that I was being raped by Freddy Mercury.” - Tank Abbott after losing to Dan Severn.

“When I go in there, I’m not going in there to win. I’m going in there to fight.” - Tank Abbott

“What? Did he just win the Olympics?” - Tank Abbott after the crowd goes wild during a match.

“He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day and looks like a ***** today.” - Tank Abbott

“In a real fight in a bar, you wouldn’t be able to lay on your back like a *****. You might catch a pool cue to the back of the head.” - Tank Abbott

“I’m starting to get sexually aroused right now. You better get that off.” - Tank Abbott after watching a replay of his knockout of John Matua.

“Here’s where I hit him with the light switch.” - Tank Abbott commenting on his knockout of Steve Nelmark.

“All of a sudden, Magnum P.I. has got an attitude.” - Tank Abbott on Dan Severn

“He was in an ambulance on the way to the hospital, while I was laughing about it at the bar, having some ****tails.” - Tank Abbott[/quote']

I like you Tap, but damn! Why do you praise this guy? I remember, I hated him so much. When I heard Ken Sharmrock extended a fight invitation to Tank......I was like, Halleluyah.

This very thread and the replies within are proof of his status as UFC "legend".

Some loved him and still do, some hated him and still do, but everyone can agree he put on a show. Love him or hate him everyone with any knowledge of the sport knows him and has an opinion. Gordeau, Pardoel, Varelens, were all guys from back in the day that were much more skilled fighters, and respectful, humble and all the rest, and now hardly anyone knows who they were, but everyone knows the Tank! Nobody quoting anything any of them said!

The very epitomy of "legend".

I like you Tap' date=' but damn! Why do you praise this guy? I remember, I hated him so much. When I heard Ken Sharmrock extended a fight invitation to Tank......I was like, Halleluyah.[/quote']

This very thread and the replies within are proof of his status as UFC "legend".

Some loved him and still do' date=' some hated him and still do, but everyone can agree he put on a show. Love him or hate him everyone with any knowledge of the sport knows him and has an opinion. Gordeau, Pardoel, Varelens, were all guys from back in the day that were much more skilled fighters, and respectful, humble and all the rest, and now hardly anyone knows who they were, but everyone knows the Tank! Nobody quoting anything any of them said!

The very epitomy of "legend".[/quote']

I like you too KungFu but i think our man Josh just pretty much summed it up. The dude was a character and the sh*t he said after a fight is "legendary" lol.

Archived