BOBBY LASHLEY VS. WES SIMS: Official for Strikeforce Miami

The_Power

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10558&zoneid=13

With just over a week to go until Strikeforce hits Miami for their next event, former WWE superstar Bobby Lashley finally has an opponent. Former "Ultimate Fighter" and UFC veteran, Wes Sims, has been tapped to step in and face Lashley in a heavyweight bout on the main card.

Strikeforce official, Mike Afromowitz, confirmed the bout to MMAWeekly.com on Friday saying the fight has been finalized for next Saturday's card.

Lashley has gone through the ringer over the last 2 weeks waiting for the final word on an opponent. Originally, he was set to face Yohan Banks, but the fight was not approved by the Florida Athletic Commission and then veteran fighter, Jimmy Ambriz, got the call, but was removed from the fight for unknown reasons.

The Colorado based fighter spoke to MMAWeekly.com earlier this week and was mostly just excited to fight, but admitted the unknown factor of his opponent was a stressful time heading into the event.

"I've been dealing with a good amount of stress the last few weeks, just trying to get everything situated," Lashley commented. "I'm one man, and I just want to have an opportunity to fight, and it seems kind of hard because one thing it's opponents, and then where and when, and all that, so it's a little stressful."

Sims enters the fight against Lashley having not fought in a professional bout since 2008, but did compete during the 10th season of the "Ultimate Fighter" reality show. The Ohio native was a part of Quinton "Rampage" Jackson's team on the show before being submitted by Justin Wren in a first round match-up during the season.

The bout between Lashley and Sims will be part of the televised broadcast on Showtime which will also feature two title fights leading the card.

Unless he makes a mistake Lashley wins by submission or TKO

Wes Sims on your record is sort of a embarrassment than a accomplishment knowing Lashley could've fought more competitive opponents. It's more of Strikeforce fault than Lashley, I'll cut him some slack this time but his next opponent has to be either undefeated or very experience it's only fair because I don't want another Shane Carwin rising w/ a ****ty record and only 1 credible win!

Strikeforce is such a weak promotion they couldn't even find a good opponent for Lashley, One guy they had lined up, some guy named Yohan something or other, the Florida athletic commision said no because it wasn't competitive. I don't know how competitive Wes Sims is going to be. Hopefully it's a decent fight......

Strikeforce is such a weak promotion they couldn't even find a good opponent for Lashley' date=' One guy they had lined up, some guy named Yohan something or other, the Florida athletic commision said no because it wasn't competitive. I don't know how competitive Wes Sims is going to be. Hopefully it's a decent fight......[/quote']

You can't call Strikeforce a weak promotion just because they couldn't find Lashley a good opponent. On one hand Lashley is still a relative newcomer with mad power but unrefined MMA skills so they need to find him fights against guys that he probably can beat. On the other hand they have to be careful as to who they pick because of the same reason, they need Lashley to win so they can market his name.

It's the moneymaking part thats the problem, not the strength of the Strikeforce HW division.

You can't call Strikeforce a weak promotion just because they couldn't find Lashley a good opponent. On one hand Lashley is still a relative newcomer with mad power but unrefined MMA skills so they need to find him fights against guys that he probably can beat. On the other hand they have to be careful as to who they pick because of the same reason' date=' they need Lashley to win so they can market his name.

It's the moneymaking part thats the problem, not the strength of the Strikeforce HW division.[/quote']

Maybe I went overboard calling the whole promotion weak, the HW division is what pisses me off!!

Strikeforce is such a weak promotion they couldn't even find a good opponent for Lashley' date=' One guy they had lined up, some guy named Yohan something or other, the Florida athletic commision said no because it wasn't competitive. I don't know how competitive Wes Sims is going to be. Hopefully it's a decent fight......[/quote']

LMAO

Sims is the guy Frank Mir beat to get his title shot against Silvia.

I guess if Lashly manages to beat him up its Lesnar -Lashley 1.

Maybe I went overboard calling the whole promotion weak' date=' the HW division is what pisses me off!![/quote']

Yeah they definately need some more heavyweights. I mean Overeem rarely even fights there anymore, Wedum is good, Fedor is the best, Rogers has good potential, but those are top guys and if they were to throw Lashley in there against those guys than the hype and money they can get from Lashley is no more.

Yeah they definately need some more heavyweights. I mean Overeem rarely even fights there anymore' date=' Wedum is good, Fedor is the best, Rogers has good potential, but those are top guys and if they were to throw Lashley in there against those guys than the hype and money they can get from Lashley is no more.[/quote']

Overeem hasn't fought in the promotion for over 2 years!!!

He is no champ but Wes simms is a legit MMA competitor, and always comes to fight. If he would have ever gotten his head right in "the game" he could have been a contender, I just don't think that he has the competitive killer instinct needed.

He is at least a good measuring stick for the progress of Lashley. His strength is impressive, and he has that college style double leg, but his lackluster performance against Jason Guida left alot of uanswered questions. Lashley does at least show a desire to learn and employ more than the double-leg and chopping punch style other amatuer wresling standouts have employed.... You know who I mean...

If Lashley really is legit, then this should be a relatively easy win, but a Simms victory wouldn't even be an upset in my eyes given their respective experience in MMA.

Overeem hasn't fought in the promotion for over 2 years!!!

Yeah how do you think he feels. He was their named champion when Strikeforce was local to So-Cal, then they burst onto the international scene and sign the #1 HW in the world. I don't blame him for trying to milk the title he is destined to lose for all it's worth!

Archived