in need of advice for an MMA career

Badar93

Hey guys, im really new here so please no hating. Anyways, here's the deal im almost 17 and have been and uber freak of MMA for the past three years and after taking time to think about it, i have made the choice to try to go for a career in MMA. Im very well aware that its a hard road to get to, and can be a short lived career, but the real problem here are my parents who want me to be an engineer and nothing else, they don't support my dreams at all and i dont care anymore what they say. I just dont wanna grow living with the guilt that i let go of my dream, im currently living in Canada and am gonna start a full time MMA camp consisting of Muay Thai and BJJ. Anyways in the end, what advice other than my parents would you give me if i wanted to go into MMA??? I have the dedication and the potential to do it don't you worry about that...

Make sure you have a serious Plan B, there Is absolutely no guarantee you will ever make any money In MMA,Even the lower guys on UFC Cards make Hardly anything. Look at Shane Carwin,He Is the rightful Number 1 contender to the heavyweight title In the UFC, yet still works full time as an Engineer.Its all good going for a career In MMA and I wish you the best of luck, but If It doesnt work out(Odds of that are very high) Your gonna need something to fall back on.

If you have the opportunity to get a college degree in engineering, then I would think long and hard before walking away from that. After all, you could always train part time. GSP trained while working as a garbage man, didn't he?

But I'm probably older than your parents, so....

Hey guys' date=' im really new here so please no hating. Anyways, here's the deal im almost 17 and have been and uber freak of MMA for the past three years and after taking time to think about it, i have made the choice to try to go for a career in MMA. Im very well aware that its a hard road to get to, and can be a short lived career, but the real problem here are my parents who want me to be an engineer and nothing else, they don't support my dreams at all and i dont care anymore what they say. I just dont wanna grow living with the guilt that i let go of my dream, im currently living in Canada and am gonna start a full time MMA camp consisting of Muay Thai and BJJ. Anyways in the end, what advice other than my parents would you give me if i wanted to go into MMA??? I have the dedication and the potential to do it don't you worry about that...[/quote']

What makes you think you have the potential.

List your marshal arts accomplishments.

Also give us your marks in school. DO you actually have the grades to get into an engineering program?

Alright well thanks for the reply guys, and for your information i do always listen to my parents but it hurts to know that no one supports you and im VERY well aware of the pay, and as a matter of fact i dont think im doing good enough to be an engineer considering my marks in all courses rang from 70's to 81( which is my highest in high school).... but yes i just read a whole article at http://sfuk.tripod.com/articles_04/makingaliving.html and im gonna try to do something like software programming considering im best at that but i will try my best to do as much as i can to atleast try to pursue a career in MMA, after all like Thiago Silva says tatoo says " never give up"

Alright well thanks for the reply guys' date=' and for your information i do always listen to my parents but it hurts to know that no one supports you and im VERY well aware of the pay, and as a matter of fact i dont think im doing good enough to be an engineer considering my marks in all courses rang from 70's to 81( which is my highest in high school).... but yes i just read a whole article at http://sfuk.tripod.com/articles_04/makingaliving.html and im gonna try to do something like software programming considering im best at that but i will try my best to do as much as i can to atleast try to pursue a career in MMA, after all like Thiago Silva says tatoo says " never give up"[/quote']

YOu could do both.

If you come down to the States you can get into a college with a wrestling program, which is better training than probably 99% of the MT of BJJ camps you are going to find in North America.

MMA is dominated by collegiate wrestlers for a dam good reason.

I'm in the same boat you are. I'm training in my free time' date=' if you wanna call lifting weights and reading instructional book training. But i dont plan to tell my parents about my dreams untile AFTER my first amature fight.

That way, when i tell them, it holds more volume. They would know i'm serious.[/quote']

OMG those were exactly plans , but i used to get second thoughts cause EVERYONE almost EVERYONE puts me down and never supports me.... i workout as well and read all those books and im starting my camp soon and...... OMG you have word for word the exact plan as me man..... keep it up i support you bro. But after much thinking im making MMA a plan B for a career and software programming plan A just cause its more realistic and logical, but i will try everything in my power to go into MMA

YOu could do both.

If you come down to the States you can get into a college with a wrestling program' date=' which is better training than probably 99% of the MT of BJJ camps you are going to find in North America.

MMA is dominated by collegiate wrestlers for a dam good reason.[/quote']

ya i was thinking about that man but im already taking wrestling in high school so im covered for that. Btw i wanted to reply to your last post as well about my accomplishments, i don't have any accomplishments yet and im starting a camp soon and by potential i meant that im just very dedicated and will do about anything to try to make it true

OMG those were exactly plans ' date=' but i used to get second thoughts cause EVERYONE almost EVERYONE puts me down and never supports me.... i workout as well and read all those books and im starting my camp soon and...... OMG you have word for word the exact plan as me man..... keep it up i support you bro. But after much thinking im making MMA a plan B for a career and software programming plan A just cause its more realistic and logical, but i will try everything in my power to go into MMA[/quote']

Yeah, i was very hesitant to tell people about my desires because i was so afraid of being put down. But my friend's know what i want and how passionate i am. My plan A is fighting. Plan B, is fighting. Plan C and D is either History teacher or something in the graphic arts field.

But i'm lucky enough to have friends that believe in me and even work out with me. I intend to start attending a nearby JJ school right out of high school. They do wrestling and boxing there too, and while training, work my way around the amature circuit to see how i do.

Yeah' date=' i was very hesitant to tell people about my desires because i was so afraid of being put down. But my friend's know what i want and how passionate i am. My plan A is fighting. Plan B, is fighting. Plan C and D is either History teacher or something in the graphic arts field.

But i'm lucky enough to have friends that believe in me and even work out with me. I intend to start attending a nearby JJ school right out of high school. They do wrestling and boxing there too, and while training, work my way around the amature circuit to see how i do.[/quote']

lol ya i may have over exaggerated out of emotions but i do have a handful of friends who believe i can do it, but ya i just love fighting man i mean i have trained in Muay Thai before but those were like summer courses that lasted for like 2 months but now i wanna start a full time camp, and in a few years time if im good enough i wanna compete in the MFC or atleast just some local events here. but ya our stories are virtually like almost exactly the same, even the part about being shy to tell because you thought you'd be put down. I was like that too but then i told my closest friends who actually support me but all others really just make fun of me and just say im chasing a dream that'll never come true, but im never giving up though i wanna prove everyone wrong, ESPECIALLY my family so bad

lol ya i may have over exaggerated out of emotions but i do have a handful of friends who believe i can do it' date=' but ya i just love fighting man i mean i have trained in Muay Thai before but those were like summer courses that lasted for like 2 months but now i wanna start a full time camp, and in a few years time if im good enough i wanna compete in the MFC or atleast just some local events here. but ya our stories are virtually like almost exactly the same, even the part about being shy to tell because you thought you'd be put down. I was like that too but then i told my closest friends who actually support me but all others really just make fun of me and just say im chasing a dream that'll never come true, but im never giving up though i wanna prove everyone wrong, ESPECIALLY my family so bad[/quote']

I know exactly how you feel.

Where in Canada do you live?

Word of advice.. Don't waste your time pissing around at little crap clubs. If possible' date=' go to a place where you can work with a lot of good guys.[/quote']

i live in Ottawa and theres a few just local events here and there i might think of those for amateur fights

Just do it. Stop talking about it and start training.

I'm 27. Started doing a bit of boxing at 16 and Jiu Jitsu from 18 (only once a week though, so nothing serious). Also started weight training three times a week at 22. Joined an MMA club last June and it's tough. I only do it for fun though as I have kids and i've been studying to be an Architect for the past five and a half years. Just do it.

I love training so if you love punishing yourself, go for it. Rolling with guys 8 years younger than me who have been at it since they where 14, and although they dont have the strength I have, the skill of starting young shows through.

It's stupid taking it so seriously before you've even tried it. Join a club and stop talking about it.

Go to college and train in college. If you cannot make it like that, then you will never make it professionally.

99% of people will wash out and all these young kids you see in MMA now have been training in things for years before they ever turned 18.

Then look at the rest of the fighters, they get paid **** all and they work.

So you can work at Burger King and sell burgers to Roy Nelson and train MMA and probably go nowhere, or you can get a solid College degree, work a well paying job and train MMA and fight as a passion. Thats what I do, work, continue to train my Karate and fight when spots open up for me. I will never be on TV or recognized around the fighting circles, but I live good and get to knock people out in my spare time.

You are looking at about a 1% chance at best of making good of your life if you give up on college for MMA.

If you actually choose to pursue a career in mma' date=' you're going to end up like 99% of ALL people... Living with fact that you failed miserably while chasing your dreams. Look at me, I was supposed to be a rock star. Go to school!!! Listen to your parents.[/quote']

I think what this guy is tryna say is dont have dreams because i failed. Dude, go for it, just have a plan B like someone mentioned, pro fighter isnt an easy job title to get hold of either, so just make sure you know just how hard you will have to work.

Yeah' date=' i was very hesitant to tell people about my desires because i was so afraid of being put down. But my friend's know what i want and how passionate i am. My plan A is fighting. Plan B, is fighting. Plan C and D is either History teacher or something in the graphic arts field.

But i'm lucky enough to have friends that believe in me and even work out with me. I intend to start attending a nearby JJ school right out of high school. They do wrestling and boxing there too, and while training, work my way around the amature circuit to see how i do.[/quote']

I wasnt going to disclose my own Plan A and Plan B until i read this post. Plan A fighting, Plan B fighting. However i'm gna finish college, i'm gna have a uni place reserved incase, and i'll be joinin the police after i leave college so i have a concrete carrear if fighting doesnt work out. However, i intend to do everythin i can to go as far as i can in this carrear. Starting with my first muay thai fight sometime soon. I do believe going into mma with a speciality backgroundd is better than going into mma without prior martial arts experience.

Just study and train at the same time,Its what I do,Im a full time Student,and Train 4 days a week at London Shootfighters, Good way to see if MMA is right for you,alot of people like the idea of being a fighter rather than actually being one,They change there mind after getting kicked In the head,Or pushed so hard during a conditioning class they vomit.

Just study and train at the same time' date='Its what I do,Im a full time Student,and Train 4 days a week at London Shootfighters, Good way to see if MMA is right for you,alot of people like the idea of being a fighter rather than actually being one,They change there mind after getting kicked In the head,Or pushed so hard during a conditioning class they vomit.[/quote']

Yeah, true - luckily enough i've been kicked in the face and lived with a sore jaw for days, kneed in the nuts so many times its unreal etc and been pushed so far i was running on a treadmill and my friend decided i probably shouldnt do the full run as he noticed i was becomin a little lightheaded and weak legged as i'd put an immense strain on by body during my workout previous to the run; and i'm sitll here wanting to fight and make it my life. i think you an biohazard mentioned you were training out of books? Taking no credit away from your dreams, you should induct yourselves properly into a tranin camp or club or whatever you wanna call it, take all the punishment, and see what you think when you've experienced all that. I hope you come out the other side still wanting to fight.

Training out of books is a whole different experience from training at a club with other guys and doing rounds of sparrin with them.

Yeah' date=' true - luckily enough i've been kicked in the face and lived with a sore jaw for days, kneed in the nuts so many times its unreal etc and been pushed so far i was running on a treadmill and my friend decided i probably shouldnt do the full run as he noticed i was becomin a little lightheaded and weak legged as i'd put an immense strain on by body during my workout previous to the run; and i'm sitll here wanting to fight and make it my life. i think you an biohazard mentioned you were training out of books? Taking no credit away from your dreams, you should induct yourselves properly into a tranin camp or club or whatever you wanna call it, take all the punishment, and see what you think when you've experienced all that. I hope you come out the other side still wanting to fight.

Training out of books is a whole different experience from training at a club with other guys and doing rounds of sparrin with them.[/quote']

you are so right man i completely agree with what you said but i WILL go to that camp and im gonna try my best not to quit, not to brag or anything but im a very dedicated person so i doubt i will

Go to school and train for a Martials Arts like karate ' date=' bjj , westling , boxing , M. T.

Choose one and train in it after u done school try to find a good job and train every time u can and work .

Is hard but that the GSP way .[/quote']

ya thats pretty much my plan man but thanks anyways

I think what this guy is tryna say is dont have dreams because i failed. Dude' date=' go for it, just have a plan B like someone mentioned, pro fighter isnt an easy job title to get hold of either, so just make sure you know just how hard you will have to work.[/quote']

thanks bro i WILL try my best to not quit i'll let everyone know how im doing once i join the camp for atleast a month

Yeah' date=' true - luckily enough i've been kicked in the face and lived with a sore jaw for days, kneed in the nuts so many times its unreal etc and been pushed so far i was running on a treadmill and my friend decided i probably shouldnt do the full run as he noticed i was becomin a little lightheaded and weak legged as i'd put an immense strain on by body during my workout previous to the run; and i'm sitll here wanting to fight and make it my life. [b']i think you an biohazard mentioned you were training out of books? Taking no credit away from your dreams, you should induct yourselves properly into a tranin camp or club or whatever you wanna call it, take all the punishment, and see what you think when you've experienced all that. I hope you come out the other side still wanting to fight.

Training out of books is a whole different experience from training at a club with other guys and doing rounds of sparrin with them.[/[/b]QUOTE]

Nah that wasnt me,I train at London Shootfighters,believe me,ALOT of Intense sparring A proper camp that has people like marius zaromskis,John Hathaway,Mustapha Al Turk etc

I have the same dream as you.

I was 14 when I got my Karate Black Belt.

Now I'm training in boxing.

And probably a few years later I'm gonna train in Jiu Jitsu.

Then start hardcore training.

I hope you have the same passion in getting into a fight career as I do.

If you do, you'll make it :)

If you do' date=' you'll make it :)[/quote']

yo thanks so much man im just starting a whole MMA camp at once and im just 16 so i've got time

Always have a plan B . Look what happened to me on The ultimate fighter. I got Beaten up real bad by a wrestler. Conversely when I got eliminated I didn't care because I had a wonderful job to go back home to.

Oh cool thanks Abe, lol never thought you'd read my thread, but ya anyways if you read my past posts i do have a plan B to go into software programming but i keep saying this, i WILL try everything in my power to make that dream a reality

If you do' date=' you'll make it :)[/quote']

so your basically saying u started karate when you were 4 or 5? No hard feelings man but dont bull $hit, no1 will think your big on the internet.

Mma is pretty grueling' date=' it's nothing like any other sport besides wrestling, work ethic wise. Managing mma and school would make me go insane, I say get to college first than take it serious. You could start now but not full-fledge into it.[/quote']

ya i was thinking if i could manage a full time camp and school, but i think i will still join but just not go every single day, but thanks anyways

Hey guys' date=' [b']im really new here so please no hating.[/b] Anyways, here's the deal im almost 17 and have been and uber freak of MMA for the past three years and after taking time to think about it, i have made the choice to try to go for a career in MMA. Im very well aware that its a hard road to get to, and can be a short lived career, but the real problem here are my parents who want me to be an engineer and nothing else, they don't support my dreams at all and i dont care anymore what they say. I just dont wanna grow living with the guilt that i let go of my dream, im currently living in Canada and am gonna start a full time MMA camp consisting of Muay Thai and BJJ. Anyways in the end, what advice other than my parents would you give me if i wanted to go into MMA??? I have the dedication and the potential to do it don't you worry about that...

If we cant hate on the new people then who can we hate on?

Dude, you're story sounds a lot like my mine. I was about a year into college when I got into serious shape and thought I should make a run at MMA. Bought the books, continued my high intensity solo-training, and was able to finish with a 3.0+ GPA. Next year started training with other guys at college. One dude was an amateur boxer, the other guy was a college wrestler, and my friend showed up whose Uncle had taught him jiu-jit-su. We got together, designed some routines and started our own camp at the college. Then I went to a certified MMA and Muay Thai Academy. Believe me, you get about ten times better on a technical level at a camp and your conditioning might actually dip, but the camp is where you'll find out if you have a true passion for MMA. I lost my interest at the academy but I still hone my muay-thai and now I'm stronger and better conditioned than I have ever been.

Bottom-line, stay in school. Its a thousand times easier to get your egineering degree and then explore MMA, cause you'll be spending years in training before you're even a good fighter anyways. If you devote your full-time to MMA, you may find it difficult to pursue that degree. Degrees are about money, and having money means you have options. Once you start serious training you'll know if you really want to compete. Maybe you could design software full-time and fight on the side like Shane Carwin. If you want to be a star, if you want that UFC belt, or at the least you want us talking about you someday on this forum, remember you need some serious skill. Best wishes to you.

I am also attempting a career in mma. I am 16 and graduating high school this year (yes I skipped a grade). I am pursuing a degree in Psychology. I am currently lifting weights and doing some martial arts on the side. I have decided that I am not going to seriously attempt mma until I have achieved my college degree. As at this point in time the degree seems more important.

Archived