Big John McCarthy

Alpha_Omega

Not your typical Big John thread. But I was watching a short doc on Fedor yesterday and I really like the way Big John acts when he stops fights.

When Fedor knocked Andrei Arlovski TFO Big John was real assuring to Andrei. Not sure how many other refs do this but I think it's cool. "You were doing good you just got caught. You did great you just got caught just hold still".

Real classy move on Big John's part. He also did this to Rogers when Fedor knocked him out. "You did good, just relax you did good."

Random, I know. But I think this just adds to the fact that he is the best ref in the business.

Couldn't ask for a better ref to wake up to after getting KTFO.

Big John is the man and so is Yamasaki. Yamasaki shows alot of concerns for the fighters suffering from a tko or knock out. It's nice to know referees care and are not so caught up in their job.

Big John is the man, and Yamasaki is awesome too. I've been recently rewatching Couture vs Minotauro, and at the start of the fight, Mario adresses Randy in English and Minotauro in Portuguese. He's Brazilian, I know. I jsut thought it was a really nice touch.

Big John is the man' date=' and Yamasaki is awesome too. I've been recently rewatching Couture vs Minotauro, and at the start of the fight, Mario adresses Randy in English and Minotauro in Portuguese. He's Brazilian, I know. I jsut thought it was a really nice touch.[/quote']

Let's not forget Herb Dean too, he is good.

I had an opportunity to meet Big John back in November. He was a special guest ref at an event in Winnipeg. I was lucky enough to be in the dressing room while he gave the "fighter instructions" they always talk about. He also reffed the match I was in the corner for.

Also, earlier in the day he was doing an autograph signing and answered questions for anyone. Great guy. Great ref. And bar none the most knowledgeable person you will ever meet when it comes to mma.

Big John is the man, and Yamasaki is awesome too. I've been recently rewatching Couture vs Minotauro, and at the start of the fight, Mario adresses Randy in English and Minotauro in Portuguese. He's Brazilian, I know. I jsut thought it was a really nice touch.

...Thats because Brazilians speak Portuguese...its unclear from your post if you knew that.

Big John is the man' date=' and Yamasaki is awesome too. I've been recently rewatching Couture vs Minotauro, and at the start of the fight, Mario adresses Randy in English and Minotauro in Portuguese. He's Brazilian, I know. I jsut thought it was a really nice touch.[/i']

...Thats because Brazilians speak Portuguese...its unclear from your post if you knew that.

I'm Portuguese.

:D

Only yves lavigne rivals bjm as greatest of all time refs

The like Yves because he doesnt stop fight prematurely. But there were a few times where he went to far. Like the fight with Matt Brown against Pete Sell. Matt Brown begged Yves Lavigne like 5 times to stop the fight. Brown didnt want him no more. Pete was literally out on his feet and wasnt defending himself

Big John is simply the best ref in the business. I dont see how to improve his game, which is why I think he will be the best that ever will be. This is why I think Dana White can be a baby, as in recent interviews Dana has pretty much buried Big John because he doesnt have a nevada license anymore and cant ref UFC vegas events.

Big John is simply the best ref in the business. I dont see how to improve his game' date=' which is why I think he will be the best that ever will be. This is why I think Dana White can be a baby, as in recent interviews Dana has pretty much buried Big John because he doesnt have a nevada license anymore and cant ref UFC vegas events.[/quote']

You ran off so suddenly yesterday. If I got you worked up, I apologize. I like to have fun sometimes. lol

So i think we can all agree that steve mazzagatti should be terminated from the ufc? Or at least have to fight lesnar in an exhibition fight in order to keep his job!!!!!!!

If the UFC did the hiring and firing of refs Big John would be in the UFC and Steve Mazzagatti would be out for good.

Not your typical Big John thread. But I was watching a short doc on Fedor yesterday and I really like the way Big John acts when he stops fights.

When Fedor knocked Andrei Arlovski TFO Big John was real assuring to Andrei. Not sure how many other refs do this but I think it's cool. "You were doing good you just got caught. You did great you just got caught just hold still".

Real classy move on Big John's part. He also did this to Rogers when Fedor knocked him out. "You did good' date=' just relax you did good."

Random, I know. But I think this just adds to the fact that he is the best ref in the business.

Couldn't ask for a better ref to wake up to after getting KTFO.[/quote']

^^^ Epic GNUT this.

Archived