Dana White on reviving PRIDE

slack_415

http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/2-3768/Dana-White-discusses-the-possibility-of-reviving-the-PRIDE-Fighting-Championships.html

With the recent success of the "Best of PRIDE" series on Spike TV, UFC President Dana White isn't ruling out a resurrection of the Japanese-based fight promotion. According to a recent interview conducted by the Sun Media's Scrapyard, White said he isn't ruling out the possibility of a PRIDE revival.

"You never know, anything is possible," White said when asked if he'd consider hosting an event or two in a ring under the Pride brand.

Die-hard fans remember the days when PRIDE was considered a legitimate competitor to the UFC. The organization was home to some of the most memorable bouts in MMA history and it is also where several UFC talent made their names. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua all became superstars in PRIDE long before they ever entered the UFC's Octagon.

In late 2007, Zuffa which is the parent company of the UFC, purchased the assets of PRIDE. The original idea was to continue to promote PRIDE events in Japan under the Zuffa brand and have top level UFC fighters challenge elite PRIDE fighters in a format comparable to an MMA Super Bowl.

Unfortunately that idea fell through and the PRIDE brand as a whole was merged into the UFC. Most of the top stars from PRIDE such as the aforementioned Jackson and Wanderlei "The Axe-Murderer" Silva were signed to the UFC. PRIDE officially had its last show on April 2007 but while the organization may be defunct, the brand name and the memories of the fight promotion continue to live on in the hearts of die-hard fans.

This is something that White recognizes, especially now more so than ever with the recent ratings success of the "Best of PRIDE" series on Spike.

"For its time slot on Friday night, the first episode pulled a good rating so we're excited about that. We're hoping that series will continue to do well" White said. "I don't want to say the Pride name is dead. It's still a strong powerful brand. But the reality is that us running Pride in Japan, that completely fell apart."

Surely the idea of a PRIVE revival will have fans wetting their pants in excitement but let's not get ahead of ourselves. At this point, would brining back PRIDE under the Zuffa brand make any sense at all? Not really, in fact it can prove to do more harm than good for the legacy of the legendary promotion.

Think of it this way, fans remember PRIDE for the epic battles between Jackson and Silva, "Cro Cop" and Fedor Emelianenko, and many other classic bouts that took place under the PRIDE banner. Fans can look back at PRIDE and remember the good times but if the UFC were to begin promoting PRIDE events it could tarnish those memories.

Even if White promotes a PRIDE show or two, it is not going to feel like PRIDE at all unless it were done in Japan but even then it still won't have the same effect. PRIDE had a very unique and intriguing format when it came to their fight cards. Every event was stacked from top to bottom with the very best that the organization could offer. You had fighters like "Rampage", Emelianenko, Dan Henderson, "Cro Cop" and "Shogun" all competing on the same card.

Zuffa will not be able to promote classic PRIDE cards because their main focus will always be on the UFC. Even in the UFC, it's rare for a card to be as stacked as some of the old PRIDE events and that's saying something since most UFC events are packed with big name talent. A PRIDE show promoted under Zuffa will be about as stacked as a typical UFC Fight Night card.

On the other-hand, it could be a smart business strategy to use the PRIDE brand to help develop the names of up and coming UFC prospects. Ultimate Fight Night on Spike has done wonders for increasing the name-value of stars such as Anthony "Rumble" Johnson and Gray Maynard. Adding a third avenue for the development of prospects could be great for the UFC in terms of making fighters more recognizable to casual observers.

"The Best of PRIDE" series airs every Friday night on Spike TV and features some of the best fights in the history of the now-defunct organization.

I see no reason to do this other than the value of the brand in Japan. The familiarity.

I doubt it'd happen...but if it did...it'd still be in a cage....not a ring...it would be the UFC roster most likely...fighting under a different banner in Japan...but still ultimately Zuffa. Like the WEC. WEC's success is UFC's success is Zuffa's.

So I don't really see a point.

Cheers

-DR

Standardized rules are important though...it helps prevent ambiguity.

Everyone knows what tools they have to work with.

Cheers

-DR

yeah thats true. the kicks/knees to the head could throw some people off. i still would like to see it in a ring one day. not every event tho, the octogon is the best

yeah thats true. the kicks/knees to the head could throw some people off. i still would like to see it in a ring one day. not every event tho' date=' the octogon is the best[/quote']

yeah. would be interesting to see some fights in a ring.

yeah. i wouldnt mind if they didnt use pride rules tho . example:yellow cards/stomps/kicks/knees to head' date=' but instead use the same ufc rules, just in a ring[/quote']

yeah I don't think they would anyway. just up and randomly change the rules for one event lol

too bad though, fighters like Wandy could make a come back lol.

It would be interesting to see how a lot of the UFC guys would fair in a ring.

yeah I don't think they would anyway. just up and randomly change the rules for one event lol

too bad though' date=' fighters like Wandy could make a come back lol.

It would be interesting to see how a lot of the UFC guys would fair in a ring.[/quote']

yeah, like AK when he made that arlovski/fedor thread on the advantages of the ring.

ah yes' date=' i remember that one.

It would be interesting to see who out the UFC roster would have more advantages.[/quote']

im sure the guys from pride would like it more, seeing thats where they began. my pankritia match was in a ring, i like a cage better but different people have different prespectives

im sure the guys from pride would like it more' date=' seeing thats where they began. my pankritia match was in a ring, i like a cage better but different people have different prespectives[/quote']

lol no doubt the Pride guys would like it. they would feel at home. i prefer a cage, but would be cool to see a ring on occasion.

I'm surprised so many people are for fighting in a ring. Personally, I don't care for it, because the fight can end up with too much stop and go. If you get a guy who keeps ending up on his back and just scoots out under the ropes, then they have to stop the fight, bring the fighters back to the center & put them back in position. I like a cage because there is no stopping because someone falls between the ropes or whatever. That being said however, if you like fights in a ring then you should watch MFC. They have really good production with some bada** fighters, including a few former UFC guys like Jason McDonald, Jesse Forbes, Travis Lutter, & Dean Lister. Paul "Semtex" Daley just came from MFC less than a year ago. They show the events on HDNET.

Why doesn't Dana co-promote with Dream in Japan. That was the whole point to buying out Pride in the first place. We send some of their fighters over there and they send some of theirs over here. Of course, that would be nearly impossible since Dream is already promoted on this side of the pond by HDnet.

Promoting Pride events here would be nothing more than UFC inside a ring and have no more purpose than tugging at our nostalgia strings. The events would have to be in Japan so we can see the soccer kicks and stomps.

Here's an idea. How about co-promoting with or buying organizations from Brazil. The UFC is always cherry picking the best guys from over there anyways.

If Zuffa thinking about resurrecting Pride then it has to be done correctly, and not a replica of the UFC w/ Octagon and similar water-down rules. The only place that'll accept Pride rules it's in few states w/o a State Commission, and in Japan but since Pride was originally in Japan it has to stay there.. It'll be a great way to open the market back in Japan too.

-Ring

-Pride rules/scoring

-Allow the old rules to be in effect

-Old school Entrances

-hire the former announcers

I can't think of more but yeah I see a load of former Pride fighters in the UFC making the big change. We could possibly see Brock vs Fedor in the ring too..

id love to see them open up pride in japan and use it as a sort of minor league. i know that doesnt fall in line iwth prides tradition but i picture it like this. you flood it with up and comers and when people start falling off in the ufc, you ship them over there. and you put the events free on network tv to help build a fan base and familiarize fans with fighters before they get to the ufc. how many guys have come into the ufc undefeated and we've never heard of them. this would change that. but for tradition it'd still have to be in a ring and in japan at least.

I would just love to see stomps and knees to the head of a downed opponent back ring or cage no matter. Plus Pride rules were sooo much better. They knew what to look in a fight beacuse I dont think Nevada Athlehic commision does. You couldnt win by just takedowns or laying and praying. The biggest scoring criteria was who trys to finish the fight and does the most damage. It would hurt a lot of wrestlers though but at least they would be forced to try do some damage.

I agree that top position and holding someone up against a fence should count for WAY less. See Couture Vera fight.

Couture held Vera against the fence for most of the fight.

Vera lands a kick...and sends Couture crumbling to the mat, grimacing in pain.

Couture held for over 10 minutes.

Vera's kick was seconds.

But I consider Vera the winner because he came the closest to finishing, he DID something. It's a fight. Not a "hold"

I like Randy but I think his age has forced him to concede certain aspects of the fight game.

Cheers

-DR

Yeah the rules thing is pretty much a no brainer. DW and Zuffa have been working for years to get things uniform across the board. Wouldn't make sense to change the rules...because then you've got different guys using different tools in different fights depending on where they are. Get's complicated. With everyone having the same options available in every fight it makes things equal across the board.

Cheers

-DR

I agree that top position and holding someone up against a fence should count for WAY less. See Couture Vera fight.

Couture held Vera against the fence for most of the fight.

Vera lands a kick...and sends Couture crumbling to the mat' date=' grimacing in pain.

Couture held for over 10 minutes.

Vera's kick was seconds.

But I consider Vera the winner because he came the closest to finishing, he DID something. It's a fight. Not a "hold"

I like Randy but I think his age has forced him to concede certain aspects of the fight game.

Cheers

-DR[/quote']

This is an example how Vera would be a clear winner under Pride rules. And if it would be under Pride rules I dont think Randy would be attempting to hold Vera against the cage hence the fight would be more exiting. I just think that Coutore exploited a flaw in the existing rules so its obvious they should change them.

I would just like to see Pride rules and judging in the UFC not another Pride beacuse its gone now, then UFC would be perfect but its just wishfull thinking.

This is an example how Vera would be a clear winner under Pride rules. And if it would be under Pride rules I dont think Randy would be attempting to hold Vera against the cage hence the fight would be more exiting. I just think that Coutore exploited a flaw in the existing rules so its obvious they should change them.

I would just like to see Pride rules and judging in the UFC not another Pride beacuse its gone now' date=' then UFC would be perfect but its just wishfull thinking.[/quote']

I agree that the judging criteria needs to be revamped. Maybe one day it will.

Cheers

-DR

I can't understand why you guys want to see PRIDE back again, specially it would be held in Japan, it's very irritating to see at the start of the show some Japanese anouncers shouting but we cannot really understand what he says but only the fighters name. Then some excess referee circling outside the ring pushing back fighters whom about to get out of bounds. Then again I would see some colored hair Japanese fighters whom has no skills to offer but to take punch and endure the pain, then the announcers will be having hard time to think of some idea how to say that these Japanese fighters are good.

I would only be happy with this if it were similar to the old Pride. Otherwise (and i'm sorry for using this example) it would kind of be like ECW under the WWE. What made Pride so good was that it was different to the UFC. Not just the ring, the rules, the commentary, the fighters and also the whole presentation. Everything about it was unique and different to the UFC.

I can see this possibly happening though. Dana is already taking UFC to more countries. And it would make sense for the UFC to nail itself down in Japan. But the PRIDE name is well reckognised in Japan and would probably sell better than the UFC over there. The only problem is, if it isn't like it was then nobody is going to think of it as PRIDE. They'll just think of it as UFCs PRIDE show.

I would only be happy with this if it were similar to the old Pride. Otherwise (and i'm sorry for using this example) it would kind of be like ECW under the WWE. What made Pride so good was that it was different to the UFC. Not just the ring' date=' the rules, the commentary, the fighters and also the whole presentation. Everything about it was unique and different to the UFC.

I can see this possibly happening though. Dana is already taking UFC to more countries. And it would make sense for the UFC to nail itself down in Japan. But the PRIDE name is well reckognised in Japan and would probably sell better than the UFC over there. The only problem is, if it isn't like it was then nobody is going to think of it as PRIDE. They'll just think of it as UFCs PRIDE show.[/quote']

good point. i do hope it happens tho

Archived