matt hughes is the best WW all time >>>>> GSP

im_ron_burgendy

oh god another matt hughes nut

i personely never liked hughes from the moment he got lucky against newton

a bettter man a true champion would have admitted i got lucky

but that guy has his head so far up his own AR$E he thinks night is day

That is true about Hughes and he got lucky he woke up first and fell the way he did.

I will say this though, he was dominant against many fighters while he was champion. He was tough and unlike GSP he dominated people AND finished them.

GSP has certainly dominated fighters but he has a lot of trouble finishing them. If you notice when GSP fights he always looks to the ref like he is asking them to stop the fight. He doesn't have a killer instinct and doesn't try to finish people. Personally I don't think GSP likes hurting people.

generally the GOATS are the most hated and you are proving this, hughes is a better more dominant champion then gsp

you do realize gsp has had 21 fights and only 6 of them have gone to decision. matt hughes has gone to decision 11 times out of 50 fights. there finishing percent is nearly the same. however hughes winning percentage is lower then gsps.

like you said he hasnt had as many fights so obviously winning percentage is lower plus the last few losses have been because he is past his prime.

also ill mention that in 50 fights hughes hasnt faced nearly the competition gsp has in his 21 fights. half of hughes fights were gimme fights. here are his credible wins:

gono

sakurai

sherk (who was undersized majorly)

gsp (who beat him 2 times)

bj (who also beat him)

thats it. thats his legacy. newton, trigg, riggs, all turned out to be bums and gracie was 89 when he fought hughes.

now compair that to gsps resume

also ill mention that in 50 fights hughes hasnt faced nearly the competition gsp has in his 21 fights. half of hughes fights were gimme fights. here are his credible wins:

gono

sakurai

sherk (who was undersized majorly)

gsp (who beat him 2 times)

bj (who also beat him)

thats it. thats his legacy. newton' date=' trigg, riggs, all turned out to be bums and gracie was 89 when he fought hughes.

now compair that to gsps resume[/quote']

well most of gsps opponents are grossly undersized then if thats your theory, so i guess you cant count his 2 wins over bj penn then and serra

GSP's resume consists of damn near the same people. He couldn't finish Mayhem Miller, couldn't finish Karo, beat Hughes twice well past his prime and an obviously a smaller Penn. Also has a win over Serra who beat him out prior, and guys like Sherk and Trigg who you liken to bums. Oh and he didn't finish any of his last 3 fights, unless you count that Penn fight as a 'finish'. If so then, ya.. what a 'killer instinct'.

Matt Hughes was pretty dominant for ahwile, but if he & GSP gought 100 times, GSP would win probably 97 or 98 of those fights. Hughes had his time, but he wasn't really a well rounded fighter. He's a great wrestler, and has good subs & GnP, but his striking is not good. He's never had much of a standup game at all & he doesn't fight well off his back. GSP has now proven himself to be a superior wrestler, (he's possibly going to the olympics for wrestling, with NO high school or college wrestling experience) he's a phenomenal striker & he can hit any sub he wants. His cardio is arguably the best in MMA. He completely owned Alves, who beat Hughes. Hughes WAS a dominant champ, but he's never been in the same league with GSP. Sure, he beat him once, but what happened the next TWO times they fought? You say that when GSP won, Hughes was past is prime, but it was only two years later. Hughes was only 32 & 33 yrs old when he lost to Rush. How is that past his prime? GSP is leagues ahead of Matt Hughes & time will be the proof.

Matt Hughes was pretty dominant for ahwile' date=' but if he & GSP gought 100 times, GSP would win probably 97 or 98 of those fights. Hughes had his time, but he wasn't really a well rounded fighter. He's a great wrestler, and has good subs & GnP, but his striking is not good. He's never had much of a standup game at all & he doesn't fight well off his back. GSP has now proven himself to be a superior wrestler, (he's possibly going to the olympics for wrestling, with NO high school or college wrestling experience) he's a phenomenal striker & he can hit any sub he wants. His cardio is arguably the best in MMA. He completely owned Alves, who beat Hughes. Hughes WAS a dominant champ, but he's never been in the same league with GSP. Sure, he beat him once, but what happened the next TWO times they fought? You say that when GSP won, Hughes was past is prime, but it was only two years later. Hughes was only 32 & 33 yrs old when he lost to Rush. How is that past his prime? GSP is leagues ahead of Matt Hughes & time will be the proof.[/quote']

wow you couldnt possibly fail any harder

yep hughes is more dominant then gsp is or ever will be
Allrighty then! lets check the facts Shall we?

so you claim Hughes was past his prime when he faced GSP the 2nd time lets see how much time had passed since thier first fight. Matt hughes beat GSP on their first fight at ufc 50 the War of 04 on 2004-10-22

the Second fight would take place nearly two years later at ufc 65 Bad intentions on 2006-11-18 which was two years later. Naturally one might foolishly make the Arguement that hughes was past his prime then. but lets see what happend when hughes fought after his first meeting with GSP

he would then Submit both Frank Trigg and Joe riggs, followed by TKO victories over Royce gracie and BJ penn....yeah sure does look like he was past his prime!

after that He would get Knocked out by GSP followed by a win over chris Lytle followed by losses to GSP again and Thiago alves. Your arguement that Hughes was past his prime is outright Wrong and Childish. GG NO RE

Allrighty then! lets check the facts Shall we?

so you claim Hughes was past his prime when he faced GSP the 2nd time lets see how much time had passed since thier first fight. Matt hughes beat GSP on their first fight at ufc 50 the War of 04 on 2004-10-22

the Second fight would take place nearly two years later at ufc 65 Bad intentions on 2006-11-18 which was two years later. Naturally one might foolishly make the Arguement that hughes was past his prime then. but lets see what happend when hughes fought after his first meeting with GSP

he would then Submit both Frank Trigg and Joe riggs' date=' followed by TKO victories over Royce gracie and BJ penn....yeah sure does look like he was past his prime!

after that He would get Knocked out by GSP followed by a win over chris Lytle followed by losses to GSP again and Thiago alves. Your arguement that Hughes was past his prime is outright Wrong and Childish. GG NO RE[/quote']

when he fought GSP for the 3rd time it was clear hughes was past his best and the alves fight proved that. GSP never stood a chance against hughes when hughes was in his prime

GSP has already surpassed Hughes. He has been dominating everyone and he has faced alot better opposition thean Hughes did in his reign. Hughes was just beating people like Frank Trigg, Joe Riggs and Carlos Newton compared to Alves, Fitch, Penn, Hughes twice and lots others.

GSP has beaten Hughes twice. Once via KO, another tapping him out. Where's your argument that hughes was past his prime. Here's a newsflash buddy GSP is still only 28 and the prime age for fighters is in their early to mid thirties as stated by Joe Rogan many times, an age where Hughes lost to GSP (x2). Let me guess what your next argument will be, that Joe Rogan doesn't know anything about MMA.

P4P worst poster on the UFC forum = im_ron_burgendy

The recent losses that Hughes has received are due to the better competition. When GSP came into the UFC everyone could see he was the future of the WW division. Hughes had a huge experience advantage in their first fight which is why it resulted in an armbar counter to GSP's kimura attempt.

Leading up to that point the bout was pretty even but I would say GSP did more damage. The second and third fights weren't even close. You can say that Hughes was past his prime but the reality of it is that GSP got more experience under his belt and improved drastically over that time while Hughes remained the same mainly one dimensional fighter. GSP improves with ever fight. He has had trouble finishing lately but that's because of the competition.

Alves is an extremely dangerous striker. Look what he did to Hughes who IMO is not past his prime but has just been surpassed. GSP took Alves to the mat and pounded on him for five rounds en route to a dominant unanimous decision. He didn't finish Fitch but look at Fitch's record. the guy is tough as nails and hasn't lost to anybody in the UFC but GSP. Nobody else can do anything with this guy.

The Penn fight IMO was finished. He made him quit. If BJ had the sack to come out in the 5th round he would have been finished. He had nothing left.

Hughes was a great champion but I think GSP will surpass his legacy.

That is true about Hughes and he got lucky he woke up first and fell the way he did.

I will say this though' date=' he was dominant against many fighters while he was champion. He was tough and unlike GSP he dominated people AND finished them.

GSP has certainly dominated fighters but he has a lot of trouble finishing them. If you notice when GSP fights he always looks to the ref like he is asking them to stop the fight. He doesn't have a killer instinct and doesn't try to finish people. Personally I don't think GSP likes hurting people.[/quote']

GSP finished Hughes twice

This thread is silly. Matt was/is an icon of the sport. He was what the ufc was intially intended to be. A place where all the MMA disciplines could come together to determine which was best. You just cannot compare Matt Hughes to GSP. They dominated to different sports. Yes GSP could go back and dominate everyone that Hughes beat but its not fair to expect Matt to be able to compete agaisnt todays type of MMA fighter. Todays type of figther was created to beat his type.

but only once when hughes was in his prime and hughes smoked GSP

First off Hughes far form smoked GSP. GSP was winning that fight until he got caught in what was a pretty sweet arm bar.

GSP then went to absolutely dominate Hughes twice after that.

Hughes one a lot of fights but he struggled through lots of them. GSP has only been in trouble twice that I can think of. First round against the first fight with Penn and the first fight with Serra. Other than that he's completely controlled all his other fights. Hughes was in trouble many times.

That being said with as awesome as Hughes was (and still is in my opinion) he's a far cry from being as good as GSP is.

when he fought GSP for the 3rd time it was clear hughes was past his best and the alves fight proved that. GSP never stood a chance against hughes when hughes was in his prime

How is being 19-1 in your last 20 fights being past your prime ?, or how about the fact that he was the welterweight champion when GSP beat him in their second fight. Even if you want to discuss the third fight. He was 20-2 in his last 22 fights and both people he lost to at that point ARE STILL UFC CHAMPS.

You are the definition of FAIL in the most EPIC of proportions.

How is being 19-1 in your last 20 fights being past your prime ?' date=' or how about the fact that he was the welterweight champion when GSP beat him in their second fight. Even if you want to discuss the third fight. He was 20-2 in his last 22 fights and both people he lost to at that point ARE STILL UFC CHAMPS.

You are the definition of FAIL in the most EPIC of proportions.[/quote']

+1

Sometimes it's hard to tell if people are blinded by their Bais for one fighter or if they are trying to get a reaction out of the rest of the forum.

yeah I know. I was up this morning when they were posting all these threads. like this one, and the one that says 'tito is the best lhw', and 'forrest shouldn't have won his fighst', and 'shogun is p4p best' and so forth

I just didn't expect to see them get so much attention. but you are correct, it's hard to tell.

GSP was not in his prime either in the first fight so whats your point... he was still developping and was nothing compared to the fighter he is today... gsp in his prime would destroy hughes in his prime and you are an idiot if you don't think so... troll you fail

If you ever watched the episode of Unleashed with that fight, he said he got lucky... Or was it top 100 fights? I don't remember, but he acknowledged that that was close as heck.

gsp has proven nothing yet in my eyes and until he has a reign of dominance like hughes did huges will forever be the best WW all time

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Dude, I just read a thread you started saying GSP could hold the title in ww, mw, and lhw. Now I see this thread, where you're trashing GSP. You should decide if you're swinging on GSPs nuts or if you're kicking them!!! Ron, you sir are a tool!

First off GSP was winning the first fight with Hughes before the arm bar. So to say GSP never stood a chance when Hughes was in his prime is very wrong.

This question always bothers me to. I wish their was someway, that the actual best could be decided. Like if there was a championship of ultimate fighting or something. Like they could both use there own fighting styles and tactics and see whose the best. We could make it really interesting make the ring a strange shape say a hexagon? Though the main point of it would be seeing who the best fighter is, and if one fighter lost he could rematch, and then if he won they would have a 3rd to see who the best truly is, and who ever won 2 out of the 3 would be considered better. I just hope some day we will have this Championship of Ultimate Fighting CUF for short so we can put this to rest.

Archived