If Bisping wins will the Bisping haters then say the Wandy of old would've won?

sjameson6969

This is why I think in many sense it's a lose-lose fight for Bisping, a win over Silva doesn't have any kind of implications for him, it won't progress him hugely in the division, because if Bisping were to beat him, chances are it would be because Silva is past his prime, his last few fights have certainly suggested this is the case. The only merit in a victory over Silva is that he had a victory over a legend of the sport, but critics would be quick and probably right to point out that Silva didn't have the flare that he once had in Pride when he fought Bisping.

That said, I hope Bisping wins and even better if he wins impressively, but a victory wouldn't have huge implications in terms of solidifying Bisping as a contender (unless Bisping wins in a spectaculalry dominant fashion, by knockout or something).

I think yes, have you missed Wandy's last 5 or so fights? There's little doubt as far as I know that Wand is on some kind of downturn of his career. I hope that MW is good for him and that his surgery was a success.

I think reality and hype will be the difference. I say if Bisping even wins by decision he gets a shot at no1 contender fight or better. I don't know whether that is still the plan or whether it's a slower build up now.

Another reason why it shouldn't make a HUGE impact on his MW status is because this is Wand's debut at the weight.

Wandy for the win. Bisping is growing on me and I like the guy - if I ignore all the bs of the company and the made up status' (not just his, but of a lot of fighters).

Even if Bisping destroyed Silva and put on an amazing performance he still wouldn't get any credit, people would just say "wandy's past his prime" which is probably true but still it would be nice for Bisping to have some good thing said about him on here for a change

Even if Bisping destroyed Silva and put on an amazing performance he still wouldn't get any credit' date=' people would just say "wandy's past his prime" which is probably true but still it would be nice for Bisping to have some good thing said about him on here for a change[/quote']

Shame Wandy is untested (in ways) at MW. I'm sure more credit could be given then. I'm sure if Bisping destroyed an out of prime Wandy, he will still get respect. Just the fact that he really shouldn't beat the Wandy we all know and love will not be disregarded.

bisping stinks thats a fact the guy run for 15 min that how he fights even if he wins this one he still will stink sorry excuse for a fighter boring WAR WANDY..........

thats what people said about machida until he got the belt then loads of people got on his nizzuts...i think bisping is a great fighter and if he brings his a game he can pull out the w

I'm curious to know this???

I am probably a bigger Bisping fan than most but I can tell you now before they fight, the Wandy of old would more than likely kill Bisping, I have seen all of Wandy's fights including his Vale-Tudo ones and I can tell you the young Wandy was a monster not to be f'd with. I think Bispings advantage now lies with his speed advantage over Wandy, he just dosent have that explosive speed and agression that he used to have. Bisping is still getting better but im not sure he will ever reach the level Wandy was at in his prime.

However in this day and age with both fighters at there current level I would give the advantage to Bisping, I think the crowd will play a big part though, Bisping seems to perform alot better when the crowd is with him, it will be interesting to see whos side the Aussies take.

It'll be like Calzaghe beating Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr if Bisping beats him. All the "their past it" talk, "he should have fought Pavlik" etc. Only for Hopkins (who Calzaghe rightly beat. How can you give someone who hugs for 12 rounds the win?) to go and demolish Pavlik. Best part was everyone then said Pavlik was hopeless. Sadly for Bisping, it'll be the same thing. I'm not saying he's the best or that he ever will be, but he just doesn't get any credit for the results he gets. I mean Kang smacked him out first round and Bisping got right back up and demolished him in the second. Soon enough the boards flooded with Kang is a nobody, Kang is past it blah blah.

If it was Hendo who fought Kang and come back from a first round knockdown the boards would have swarmed with stuff like, greatest comeback ever etc. Not that it'll ever happen, but if Bisping beat Anderson Silva i'm quite sure we'd see some Silva is useless, He's past it! and He's no good posts come here. Just because you don't like someone, doesn't mean they are not a good fighter (apart from Tito Ortiz because he isn't a good fighter and nobody likes him)

I'm curious to know this???

If Wandy loses (which he wont), his fans will absolutely say this, and they will do such a thing for one reason only. It's the truth. The Wandy of old was one of the most dominant and devastatingly succesful fighters to ever compete. The Wandy of old would (in my opinion) be able to defeat just about anyone. At any time. At any weight class. Possibly including fedor.

Ofcourse everybody will say this.

I won't, though.

I believe that we're still seeing that Wanderlei of old. He's just a little more tentative now after being KO'd so many times. Wandy hasn't gotten worse, the competition has just gotten better.

It's a shame that you people can't realise this.

This forum amazes me sometimes, You ask a question to get peoples opinions

And then some moron posts a picture of Wandy after he knocked out Jardine!!

These are exactly the kind of people who are saying Michaels gonna get knocked out.

And if he does win, will also be saying ah it doesn't matter, Wandy's way past his prime.

What intelligent input.

Thanks everyone else though! :o

This forum amazes me sometimes' date=' You ask a question to get peoples opinions

And then some moron posts a picture of Wandy after he knocked out Jardine!!

These are exactly the kind of people who are saying Michaels gonna get knocked out.

And if he does win, will also be saying ah it doesn't matter, Wandy's way past his prime.

What intelligent input.

Thanks everyone else though! :o[/quote']

His opinion was that what happened to Jardine will also happen to Bisping, which is entirely plausible. He just chose to express his opinion in pictoral form. Relax, fella!

His opinion was that what happened to Jardine will also happen to Bisping' date=' which is entirely plausible. He just chose to express his opinion in pictoral form. Relax, fella![/quote']

I didn't ask who people think is going to win or how????

I asked, if Michael did win would people say he only did because Wandys past his prime.

So his opinion should really be in another thread, i.e "who do you think will win Bisping or Wandy?"

It honestly will depend on the Wanderlei that shows up to the fight. If Wandi shows up fit, and his surgery has had the desired affect on his breathing capacity, and his time training in an octagon has eased the tranistion, And the Axe Murderer shows, comes out with his signature aggressive style and looks like the Wandi everyone knew in PRIDE, and Bisping somehow weathers the storm and gets a win, Then I will give Bisping his just due.

But if the battle worn, unable to breathe, unable to adjust to the octagon, unsure of himself Wandi that we saw in his few UFC fights shows and Bisping wins, you will undoubtedly hear all about Silva being past his prime.

I for one do not ascribe to the notion that the PRIDE guys are all so old and past their fighting primes like so many in these forums. There is alot more to the iffy transition of a few of the big names. Surgeries, new surface, new rules, adjusting to a totally different time schedule, all have as big if not bigger parts in the apparent slip of Wandi and Cro-Cop, and Shogun's slow start as well.

This fight may just signal the resurgance of Wanderlei in his fighting form, and that would be AWESOME!

Randy Couture has eliminiated the whole "past his prime" argument anyway! According to the standards some have set, he was past his prime before his first UFC fight!

I thought Wanderlei's surgery was for his orbital bones. I didn't know it had anything to do with his breathing.

Cheers

-DR

Also did reconstruction on his nasal cavities, and removed scar tissue from his brow, which obstructed vision. The original report was his nasal cavities were constricting from scar tissue over the years which at the end had his breathing capacity cut nearly in half. If you have any athletic experience you would know what a difference this could make!

ill say it. I have been saying on these posts since Wandy was signed.....after his fight with Lidell he looked as if hes super worn out. I dont think he has thrown an effective knee or kick since he has been with the ufc...its ashame a lot of fans will never know why Wandy was so popular with Pride

ill say it. I have been saying on these posts since Wandy was signed.....after his fight with Lidell he looked as if hes super worn out. I dont think he has thrown an effective knee or kick since he has been with the ufc...its ashame a lot of fans will never know why Wandy was so popular with Pride

Thats fair comment, I was never a big fan of Pride although his rep was known all round the world for just being a scary guy with sick skills!

I don't think he's the same now though.

I love the guy!, you couldn't get a more humble athlete and it seems he always makes time for his fans, at that q&a he came across really well.

Just loads on here posting he's gonna do this and do that to Bisping, don't get me wrong good chance he will, but I doubt it.

And if Bisping does win well then of course it's gonna be because Wandys not what he was.

Lose lose really!!!

If Bisping wins it only shows Silva's best days are behind him and conforms he's washed up like Cro Cop...

Is this just a reaction to the fact that you said Kang would beat Bisping, then claimed Kang was a handpicked can for Bisping to get back to winning ways? You won't make that mistake again I see.

Is this just a reaction to the fact that you said Kang would beat Bisping' date=' then claimed Kang was a handpicked can for Bisping to get back to winning ways? You won't make that mistake again I see.[/quote']

I don't know if I said Kang would win exactly, but since Kang had all this hype of being this expert with all this experience he susposivily had he should have won... I never seen Kang fight ever and after watching him fight he was worst than most fighters Bisping faught so it was a very easy win for Bisping and Kang still rocked Bisping but had no clue where to go after he he rocked him.... Kang's performance was pitiful he's nothing but a amateur, rolling into the fetal postion trying to defend himself was comical...

Bisping how ever looked great he went after Kang rather than running away and poking at his opponents with little effort... At least he showed he can some what put up a fight rather than running away squeaking out decisions... He'll still lose but if he does win it's either Silva should retire after the loss or maybe Bisping will be some how learn how do some thing spectacular...

I'm kinda hoping that Bisping will beat Wanderlei and put him out of his misery...the talent pool needs to be cleansed of these nostalgia fighters whose best days were nearly a decade ago. It' sad to see these guys fight passed their prime and slowly creep down in the pecking order from respected contender, to gatekeeper, to an easy win for some up&comer the UFC is trying to market by handing them a win over a famous name.

Archived