UFC7 The Brawl in Buffalo.

UFCCagerattler

This was a great UFC for a number of reasons. The 8 man tournament format was an absolute killer. I still don;t know how they did that, given that UFC fighter todays seems hard pressed to fight 3 rounds every 6 months or so. Macro Ruas was absolutely lethal, beating three guys to a pulp in a single night, including Paul Varelans who was 6'8" and about 340 pounds.

The superfight that night was Shamrock vs Taktarov which lasted all 33 minutes and ended up in a draw even thought Shamrock beat the living hell out of him. It was the same thing as the draw against Gracie, where Shamrock had clearly lost, but the fight ended up a draw because there were, as some of you may remember, no judges at that time.

I think 7 was the last time the UFC went with no judges. I think .Shamrock himself had a lot to do with it because there was a big rumour going around at that time that he had thrown a fight in Japan against Suzuki and the UFC wanted to make sure nobody thought their events were fixed

As I recall the ticket was $22.

Wow. Ruas had a great strategy vs Varelans. Leg kick seminar against IMO one of the more dangerous hulks of the early UFC's.

Did you mean Shamrock beat Gracie? - because you typed lost if you did.

Ruas was a well deserved winner.

Gracie clearly beat Shamrock, but because he couldn;t finish him the fight was called a draw.

Gracie clearly beat Shamrock' date=' but because he couldn;t finish him the fight was called a draw.[/quote']

When I think of that I think stalemate. Shamrock not getting past the guard but Royce not gaining any position either. He didn't get any sub attempt if I remember right and Shamrock landed some light GnP.

Probably a better draw than Taktarov/Shamrock.

The Shamrock/Oleg draw was so ridiculous it put an end to the no judge format.

That was a macho thing from the early tough man days, where anything that wasn;t a finish was accepted as a win.

For sure the sport has evolved, and its a much better and fairer sport today.

These people who whine about bad decisions should go back and look at some of the history behind why there are judges.

Joe ROgan especially needs to get sorted out.

And you are right, Ruas was a leg kick monster. Amoung other things.

The Shamrock/Oleg draw was so ridiculous it put an end to the no judge format.

That was a macho thing from the early tough man days' date=' where anything that wasn;t a finish was accepted as a win.

For sure the sport has evolved, and its a much better and fairer sport today.

These people who whine about bad decisions should go back and look at some of the history behind why there are judges.

Joe ROgan especially needs to get sorted out.

And you are right, Ruas was a leg kick monster. Amoung other things.[/quote']

It actually was the King of the Streets that got me into MMA to begin with. I got hold of an underground Vale Tudo tape with him featured before I ever saw UFC 1 in the early 90's. And it was guys like him, Taktarov, Varelens, and yes, even Shamrock, that legitimaized the UFC as an MMA promotion. They all came in with careers already established in Brazil and Japan so them fighting in the UFC gave it a sense of legitimacy it didn't have in the sideshow early days. Taktarov and Ruas were the very first, truly well rounded fighters in the UFC, they could both beat you anywhere!

Archived