This Is Hard To Believe

CaptainSuperman

So I was browsing the Wiki just a bit ago, and on Sean O'Haire's Wiki (yes the WCW/WWE wrestler, but also MMAist) I found something very interesting. O'Haire fought "Butterbean" in a MMA bout, but before O'Haire stepped in, Eric Esch was suppose to fight Mike Hunt. The Nevada State Athletic Commision apparently wouldn't allow it because Hunt had an unfair mat advantage.

I know Wiki isn't exactly the most trustworth in news, but here it is...

"On October 21, 2006, O'Haire fought Eric "Butterbean" Esch at Pride 32 in Las Vegas, Nevada.[16] Esch was originally announced to be fighting Mark Hunt, but the Nevada State Athletic Commission would not allow Hunt to fight Esch arguing that Hunt had an unfair mat advantage. PRIDE had stated that "visa issues" were preventing Hunt from competing in the bout, but it was later confirmed that Hunt could not compete due to the Commission's ruling."

This raises a lot of questions. I'll let you guys discuss. But key things that pop into my mind are Kimbo, and should Butterbean even be fighting if the NSAC can do something like this to protect him, seeing as how almost anyone should have a mat advantage over him. What about striking advantages? Too many things here.

Your thoughts?

The dude used to be a boxer yet they don't label that as an unfair advantage? Sounds like the MMA's version of a double standard...

Yeah, that's kinda what I said near the end of my post. But the thing that 'wow's me the most is I've never heard of the NSAC doing this. Should guys with no ground game not be able to fight? What about guys with too good of ground game? and again, the smae thing goes for striking skills.

I mean really, this whole thing baffles me and I can't really comprehend everything in my mind that I want to say about this, but wow.

Yeah' date=' that's kinda what I said near the end of my post. But the thing that 'wow's me the most is I've never heard of the NSAC doing this. Should guys with no ground game not be able to fight? What about guys with too good of ground game? and again, the smae thing goes for striking skills.

I mean really, this whole thing baffles me and I can't really comprehend everything in my mind that I want to say about this, but wow.[/quote']

Yeah it seems pretty ridiculous. I mean they shouldn't be doing matchmaking like that because if another has a grappling advantage against a striker, then that should be well and good.

I haven't heard of the NSAC doing much like this, but it makes you wonder how many fights that they haven't allowed to happen because of these advantages.

Obviously they are doing it to protect fighters, so that makes me wonder about fights that did happen that maybe could have been denied. One recent one that comes to mind is Maia vs Mardquart. Also Mir vs Kongo, though Mir kept it standing until the knockdown, there is still a huge disadvantage for Kongo. Hell, even Cro Crop did well on the ground against Kongo.

Obviously they are doing it to protect fighters' date=' so that makes me wonder about fights that did happen that maybe could have been denied. One recent one that comes to mind is Maia vs Mardquart. Also Mir vs Kongo, though Mir kept it standing until the knockdown, there is still a huge disadvantage for Kongo. Hell, even Cro Crop did well on the ground against Kongo.[/quote']

Exactly. It kind of sounds like if they have a big name coming into the sport they will try and give you favorable fights like with Kimbo getting mostly strikers and Butterbean getting anyone who didn't have a ground game.

It would be a disadvantage for Butterbean Since Mark Hunt is a Kick Boxer and somewhat alright on the ground. Yeah Sean O'Haire also a Kickboxer(did kickboxing) fought him and got KTFO. He was 1st in WCW apart of the new Natural Born Thrillers era in WCW, but before that he was an accomplished Martial Artist, but I think Pro Wrestling sort of ruined his image since he wasnt given the time and chances in WWE.

I love how WWE wrestlers and Japnese wrestlers are all looked differently in MMA. Takada, Fujita, Sakuraba, and many other guys were given easy passes by fans and spectators alike cos of their backgrounds in Pro Wrestling and are seen as Gods in their home country but here in the states its a target for Cannon Fodder.

Archived