What if Thiago Silva dropped down to Middleweight?

IllusionofTime

In my book he only has one loss and that's to the champ. I think he's good at 205 just needs to work on his takedown defense and wrestling.

The Rashad fight is a product of a broken scoring system. If that were a real fight there's no question who won it. Rashad's takedowns did nothing. Silva kept popping right back up, but they still weigh heavy on the scores.

Anyways Silva is a beast just needs to be a little bit more well rounded. he's got great BJJ and Standup but his wrestling seems to be lacking.

People often talk about cutting weight like it's no big deal and they couldn't be more wrong. It's a physically and mentally draining procedure that can leave a fighter drained well after they rehydrate. I've seen grown men who are vicious warriors in the ring or the octagon reduced to blubbering heaps during particularly difficult cuts. You're depriving your body and your brain of vital fluids and the results can be devastating.

People think BJ Penn is some god because he's willing to fight at higher weight classes but I will tell you something that I know from personal experience, I would rather come into a fight physically and mentally fresher than heavier. BJ fought at higher weights because he believed he could perform better due to not having to put himself through the rigors of a strenuous cut, not because he's some fearless hero.

People often talk about cutting weight like it's no big deal and they couldn't be more wrong. It's a physically and mentally draining procedure that can leave a fighter drained well after they rehydrate. I've seen grown men who are vicious warriors in the ring or the octagon reduced to blubbering heaps during particularly difficult cuts. You're depriving your body and your brain of vital fluids and the results can be devastating.

People think BJ Penn is some god because he's willing to fight at higher weight classes but I will tell you something that I know from personal experience' date=' I would rather come into a fight physically and mentally fresher than heavier. BJ fought at higher weights because he believed he could perform better due to not having to put himself through the rigors of a strenuous cut, not because he's some fearless hero.[/quote']

That's a good point. Most of these guy's frames are built for their respective weight classes as well.

The Rashad fight is a product of a broken scoring system. If that were a real fight there's no question who won it. Rashad's takedowns did nothing. Silva kept popping right back up' date=' but they still weigh heavy on the scores.[/quote']

Oh c'mon...for crying out loud this has to end. Don't you people understand how the scoring works? Thiago did f-all for two rounds and most of the third except flail around on his back like flipped turtle. He landed nothing significant, he did no damage, he scored no takedowns...sure he came alive in the 3rd and had Evans in trouble but he couldn't finish and Evans weathered the storm. The judges mark each round individually immediately proceeding the next round so as much as some fans would like to believe that a 3rd round flurry should be enough to win, because it was the most damage inflicted throughout the fight, that's just not how it works. Nobody in their right mind could score that fight for Thiago...that's why it was an unanimous decision.

Yea the scoring system is pretty solid, it could use some minor tweaking but its not completely broken as some ppl would state. But to the guy managing to take this opportunity to find a way to bash Penn, dude BJ isnt even a big lightweight he didnt have cutting issues so while i'm not saying hes just some fearless hero or whatever I dont think he went up to like 190 lbs cause he thought he'd be in better shape either... Anyways on the topic, yea I think Thiago is a bit too big of a guy for that much more of a drop, just cause hes got a lil on the sides he could tighten up he would manage that better with muscle gain.

Yea the scoring system is pretty solid' date=' it could use some minor tweaking but its not completely broken as some ppl would state...[/quote']

Agreed, nearly every fight where the decision has been considered by some to be "controversial" has been because it was an incredibly close fight. Sometimes fights go that way and there's just no way around it. I strongly believe that having open scoring with the judges scores posted for all to see after every round would solve the problem of fighters (and fans) feeling robbed at the end of a fight. It would give the fighters the choice of letting it all hang out and going for the big finish is they saw they were losing instead of coasting and not taking risks when they think they're winning.

Yea letting the score be seen after each round seems like a pretty solid idea to me. I just think maybe a bit more stress needs to put on ground control needing to be improved/contributing to damage. Now on say the silva/rashad fight yea Rashad didnt do a ton of damage but the fight was still judged right cause it wasnt like Silva was beating up on him in between takedowns, so sure ground control is worth more than say, nothing at all lol. That flurry in the 3rd should have probly won him that round, but thats still 2 rounds to 1 so its still Rashads fight due to his control.

Oh c'mon...for crying out loud this has to end. Don't you people understand how the scoring works? Thiago did f-all for two rounds and most of the third except flail around on his back like flipped turtle. He landed nothing significant' date=' he did no damage, he scored no takedowns...sure he came alive in the 3rd and had Evans in trouble but he couldn't finish and Evans weathered the storm. The judges mark each round individually immediately proceeding the next round so as much as some fans would like to believe that a 3rd round flurry should be enough to win, because it was the most damage inflicted throughout the fight, that's just not how it works. Nobody in their right mind could score that fight for Thiago...that's why it was an [u']unanimous [/u]decision.

As the scoring system stands thats how everybody would score it. I knew as the fight ended that Thiago lost because of how the scoring works. I'm saying after being taken down if no damage was done and there was no passing to better position and the other fighter popped right back up the battle is a draw in my eyes.

Looks a little flabby????? LOL

You must be kidding right???

Yea flabby is a bit dramatic, but the OP is probly talkin bout he has a little bit of love handles around the waist area, not much compared to your average person or anything but i'd say thats it, not enough goin on to drop down a weightclass in a healthy fashion I dont think tho.

Yea flabby is a bit dramatic' date=' but the OP is probly talkin bout he has a little bit of love handles around the waist area, not much compared to your average person or anything but i'd say thats it, not enough goin on to drop down a weightclass in a healthy fashion I dont think tho.[/quote']

Thats what I mean, hardly a case to drop down a weight!

A little bit flabby lol

As the scoring system stands thats how everybody would score it. I knew as the fight ended that Thiago lost because of how the scoring works. I'm saying after being taken down if no damage was done and there was no passing to better position and the other fighter popped right back up the battle is a draw in my eyes.

Have you ever been taken down? It's not exactly painless, christ fights have ended due to vicious takedowns and slams. Even Thiago said in an interview afterward that he was completely worn out from being constantly tossed his back and that's why he couldn't capitalize on it when he rocked Evans. Being scooped up and thrown on the mat by a 220 pound man is no walk in the park and it deserves to be awarded points just as much as a strikes and subs.

If he dropped to MW I'd be tempted to buy him a cheeseburger. Truth is he has some holes in his game. He got handled by Rashad...and I really don't like Rashad so it's not a bias thing. Back to the drawing board for Thiago he is young and has a great future in UFC with championship possibilities. Losses suck but they usually present a lesson.

Have you ever been taken down? It's not exactly painless' date=' christ fights have ended due to vicious takedowns and slams. Even Thiago said in an interview afterward that he was completely worn out from being constantly tossed his back and that's why he couldn't capitalize on it when he rocked Evans. Being scooped up and thrown on the mat by a 220 pound man is no walk in the park and it deserves to be awarded points just as much as a strikes and subs.[/quote']

exactly

Archived