Muay Thai?

Niallohagan

Thialand=Brown people

Brazil=Brown people.

You see where Im going with this. we beaners like it.

HA! That's one theory.

Brazil is big on JJ. Muay Thai too. But NOTHING like in Thailand itself...it's not just the national sport...something like 60% of the young men will have a Thai fight in their lifetime. Crazy stuff.

Cheers

-DR

There are many Asian martial arts very popular in Brazil and all over south America because back in the day when southeast Asia was being overrun by horrible comunist regimes and despots, millions fled to South America since the imigration laws there were very lax and citizenship was easily attained, especially with some cash in hand.

When Brazilian Vale Tudo tourneys started in the 30's many of the asian masters who were in S.America opened their schools and started to spread their art. It just so happens that strong Muay Thai is the best counter style to BJJ so it garnered the most popularity and Bazilian Muay Thai took on a life of its own, like BJJ coming from Jiu Jitsu,

Most of the best Brazilian Muay Thai style fighters wouldn't make it past the first round in Thailand, where they start training fighters around 3 years old and many youngsters turn pro in their early teens.

There are many Asian martial arts very popular in Brazil and all over south America because back in the day when southeast Asia was being overrun by horrible comunist regimes and despots' date=' millions fled to South America since the imigration laws there were very lax and citizenship was easily attained, especially with some cash in hand.

When Brazilian Vale Tudo tourneys started in the 30's many of the asian masters who were in S.America opened their schools and started to spread their art. It just so happens that strong Muay Thai is the best counter style to BJJ so it garnered the most popularity and Bazilian Muay Thai took on a life of its own, like BJJ coming from Jiu Jitsu,

Most of the best Brazilian Muay Thai style fighters wouldn't make it past the first round in Thailand, [b']where they start training fighters around 3 years old and many youngsters turn pro in their early teens.

[/b]

yeah when i first started getting in to mma my buddy showed me some muay thai matches and they are crazy and i am not sure but he also showed me a clip and in it a guy said that if a muay thai practitioner makes it to the age of like 27 or 28 in there pro career they are pretty old.

Most of the best Brazilian Muay Thai style fighters wouldn't make it past the first round in Thailand, where they start training fighters around 3 years old and many youngsters turn pro in their early teens.

I still remember when I was a kid my kickboxing instructor who was ranked top 10 in Canada at the time went over to Thailand for a couple fights. He got absolutly owned in both fights by mediocre Thai fighters. Guy came home looking like someone schooled him with a bat.

As to the UFC, I honestly doubt there has been much interest on the Thai's part. This may change but Muay Thai is just so huge over there compared to MMA. You are also looking at the difference between specialization of a life time for a top Thai vs the total MMA package needed to be a top MMA fighter. You can be the best striker in the world, but if you can't stuff a take down in the UFC you are not going to be overly successful.

The US and European media has a negative view on sports such as Muay Thai, representing them as being overly brutal. Therefore, there is a lack of interest in the sport and parents would probably discourage their kids from taking it up.

In Brazil however, this is not the case. Fighting is still a strong culture there, and the media doesn't have such an impact on the decisions people make.

I still remember when I was a kid my kickboxing instructor who was ranked top 10 in Canada at the time went over to Thailand for a couple fights. He got absolutly owned in both fights by mediocre Thai fighters. Guy came home looking like someone schooled him with a bat.

At Savannah Boxing in Houston in the early 90's I was asked to hold pads for a 13 year old girl as she was prepping for a trip to Thailand for a professional fight. A 13 YEAR OLD GIRL PROFESSIONAL FIGHTER! And I was in my early 20's. I thought sure, what the heck, maybe I can give the little girl some pointers, as I thought myself to be a relatively decent boxer at the time.

She kicked the pads a few times and I was mystified. It literally felt like Jeff Bagwell himself was wailing away at the pad with a baseball bat. I could feel her shin against my forearm with every kick. She was a little offended by my earlier attitude and gave me one good inside leg kick, and even with shingaurds on both of us she nearly split my shin. Then I wasn't paying attention holding a body kick bag and she caught my elbow. Both my leg and elbow were swollen for weeks. Gave me a whole new respect for Muay Thai at the time.

Archived