Pound For Pound Arguments

Barrage

I have come to the conclusion that there is no one P4P best' date=' because when it all comes down to it there are arguments for every top level fighter. It all comes down to opinion

thats all[/quote']

Disagrees.

Fedor, GSP and Silva. Currently all Pound 4 Pound best. If they fight you can determine who is the best. GSP and Silva don't want to fight Fedor, thus Fedor best Pound 4 Pound in the world.

Disagrees.

Fedor' date=' GSP and Silva. Currently all Pound 4 Pound best. If they fight you can determine who is the best. GSP and Silva don't want to fight Fedor, thus Fedor best Pound 4 Pound in the world.[/quote']

Loldongs, great logic there bro. ;)

Machida

/thread

Disagrees.

Fedor' date=' GSP and Silva. Currently all Pound 4 Pound best. If they fight you can determine who is the best. GSP and Silva don't want to fight Fedor, thus Fedor best Pound 4 Pound in the world.[/quote']

Personaly I think both Machida and Fedor are overratted, Fedor is a recking machine and has easily the best record in MMA I just don't think he's that good I have know idea why, and I don't think Machida is a god either, I think once he fights a fantastic wrestler with huge power he'll lose, cause bisping used his style and got KTFO by Henderson

But I do agree that the only way to solve this issue is to have them fight, so that automatically makes BJ at at least 3

The reasoning behind P4P is that if all fighters weighed the same. who would come out on top?

For me theres only 2 that fights on a whole different level. And that?s Fedor and A.Silva.

BJ and GSP are extremely good fighters but they just don?t cut it against those two.

1 and 2. Fedor / A.Silva

3. BJ Penn (yes he is a much better fighter then GSP)

4. GSP

5. Jose Aldo when he proves himself worthy, wich he will by the way.

Personaly I think both Machida and Fedor are overratted' date=' Fedor is a recking machine and has easily the best record in MMA I just don't think he's that good I have know idea why, and I don't think Machida is a god either, I think once he fights a fantastic wrestler with huge power he'll lose, cause bisping used his style and got KTFO by Henderson

But I do agree that the only way to solve this issue is to have them fight, so that automatically makes BJ at at least 3[/quote']

bisping uses machida's karate style? what?

no.

I always thought P4P existed because you couldn't have these guys fight each other. These fighters have frames that are perfect for their respective weight classes.

The rankings are designed to hypothesize whether you put the skills possessed by each fighter in the same size body who would win. A heavy weight GSP would be proportionally taller, stronger, longer reach. A proportionally sized WW Fedor would be smaller, shorter reach.

It's opinion and I feel if GSP had 50-60 lbs more of lean muscle on a bigger frame he would destroy the HW division. He is so athletic it's hard not to place him as the best. But that's my opinion.

But that's the whole point of P4P rankings because these fights are not supposed to happen. GSP at middleweight is a possibility but I don't hink he will be as dominant as he is at WW. If Anderson tried to make WW he would not be nearly the same fighter.

The reasoning behind P4P is that if all fighters weighed the same. who would come out on top?

For me theres only 2 that fights on a whole different level. And that?s Fedor and A.Silva.

BJ and GSP are extremely good fighters but they just don?t cut it against those two.

1 and 2. Fedor / A.Silva

3. BJ Penn (yes he is a much better fighter then GSP)

4. GSP

5. Jose Aldo when he proves himself worthy' date=' wich he will by the way.[/quote']

BJ lost twice, and while BJ may have MMA's best boxing, GSP can claim the best wrestling (both based on statistical effectiveness) so you can only compare their fights.

GSP has the best of three already but who knows what BJ's new form would look like in a rubber match.

There should be the controversial P4P championship tournament, including

Fedor vs. Brock

Anderson vs. GSP

Machida vs. Penn II

Mousasi vs. Shogun

-----------------

Fedor vs. Machida

Anderson vs. Shogun

-----------------

Fedor vs. Anderson

-----------------

Fedor P4P champion of the world

The term pound for pound was coined in boxing to add relavancy to smaller fighters and make them more marketable.

FEDOR IS NOT P4P BEST!!!

FEDOR IS THE BEST FIGHTER IN THE WORLD... PERIOD!!!

It drives me crazy when people use the term p4p when talking about HW's. Take a smaller fighter and put him in with your top HW's in the world, and watch them get utterly dismantled, a la Brock Lesnar and his size advantage over his opponents thus far in his career.

Personaly I think both Machida and Fedor are overratted' date=' Fedor is a recking machine and has easily the best record in MMA I just don't think he's that good I have know idea why, and I don't think Machida is a god either,[b'] I think once he fights a fantastic wrestler with huge power he'll lose, cause bisping used his style and got KTFO by Henderson[/b]

But I do agree that the only way to solve this issue is to have them fight, so that automatically makes BJ at at least 3

I don't follow this logic. Bisping comes no where neer the style of Machida. You will not see Machida continually steping towards the KNOWN power hand of a fighter with one punch knockout power.

I do however agree that a good strong wrestler will give him a harder time, though they will not win like Hendo over Bisping. Pure G N P.

Boosh!

I don't follow this logic. Bisping comes no where neer the style of Machida. You will not see Machida continually steping towards the KNOWN power hand of a fighter with one punch knockout power.

I do however agree that a good strong wrestler will give him a harder time' date=' though they will not win like Hendo over Bisping. Pure G N P.

Boosh![/quote']

Bisping almost has a classic boxer style of striking, no where near Machida's. Starting with their stance, and 100's of other differences afterwards.

Oh and BTW, Rashad is a powerful wrestler, and we all saw what happened to him. I don't think a wrestler will be the one to beat him, it will be a mauy thai wrecking machine, kind of like... Shogun Rua. :P

The term pound for pound was coined in boxing to add relavancy to smaller fighters and make them more marketable.

FEDOR IS NOT P4P BEST!!!

FEDOR IS THE BEST FIGHTER IN THE WORLD... PERIOD!!!

It drives me crazy when people use the term p4p when talking about HW's. Take a smaller fighter and put him in with your top HW's in the world' date=' and watch them get utterly dismantled, a la Brock Lesnar and his size advantage over his opponents thus far in his career[/b'].

My understanding P4P is that you increase the smaller guy to the size of the big guy to compare abilities. This presents the problem that a lot of the smaller guys and better cardiowise due to there size and conditioning, giving them abilities that would not ransfer to a heavier weight.

Boosh!

The P4p king is Silva because he is the only one who can change weight calsses and win.

I know the MMA community has invented a new definition for p4p' date=' but what the term really means is the ability to move around in weight classes and win a la Sigar Ray Robinson - for whom the term was coined.[/quote']

No it wasn't. Thats your definition.

My understanding P4P is that you increase the smaller guy to the size of the big guy to compare abilities. This presents the problem that a lot of the smaller guys and better cardiowise due to there size and conditioning' date=' giving them abilities that would not ransfer to a heavier weight.

Boosh![/quote']

Well people will often say, make GSP a HW and he would destroy everyone. Sure if he had the cardio and athleticism he has now, with a much larger frame. Thing is most often times that ability wouldn't be transfered over because it isn't natural. Brock Lesnar is an amazing athlete for a UFC HW, but he is no where near GSP's athletecism and vice versa with Brock's power.

Bisping almost has a classic boxer style of striking' date=' no where near Machida's. Starting with their stance, and 100's of other differences afterwards.

Oh and BTW, Rashad is a powerful wrestler, and we all saw what happened to him. I don't think a wrestler will be the one to beat him, it will be a mauy thai wrecking machine, kind of like... Shogun Rua. :P[/quote']

So we agree about Machida and Bisping (uncomparable). Great!

As far as Rashad goes, I was upprised he wasn't looking to take it down all that much. He stood a far better chance on the ground.

If Shogun tries to be "a mauy thai wrecking machine" in the rematch I think he may wake up staring at the doctors and trainers. Not saying it will definatly happen because the first fight was so close but I could see it.

Boosh!

OK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_for_pound

Pound for pound is the term used in boxing, mixed martial arts, and other combat sports to describe a fighter's value in relation to fighters of different weight classes. In boxing, Ring Magazine's pound for pound list is the established standard for ranking fighters pound for pound. Because of the emphasis on the size of the boxer, pound for pound ratings predominantly feature fewer heavyweights, focusing primarily on boxers middleweight or below.

It can also be used to describe how any two things compare when bearing in mind their varying quantities. For example, a tin of tomatoes weighing 250 g and costing $2.50 is more expensive, pound for pound, than one weighing 500 g and costing $4 (as the former costs $1.00 per 100 g and the latter $0.80 per 100 g).

You're wrong champ. Again.

Well people will often say' date=' make GSP a HW and he would destroy everyone. Sure if he had the cardio and athleticism he has now, with a much larger frame. Thing is most often times that ability wouldn't be transfered over because it isn't natural. Brock Lesnar is an amazing athlete for a UFC HW, but he is no where near GSP's athletecism and vice versa with Brock's power.[/quote']

I feel like I read that somewhere... oh my post that you quoted. I should say I'm not insulting you for it. I much rather that than a lazy +1. Shows effort.

Boosh!

I feel like I read that somewhere... oh my post that you quoted. I should say I'm not insulting you for it. I much rather that than a lazy +1. Shows effort.

Boosh!

Honestly it is this very reason that I think far too many people put far too much stock in the term. Fedor would whoop anybody from HW on down. No arguement needed, he's the best.

In the case of CageRattler, Silva is a very versatile fighter with the ability to fight and win in other divisions, but that doesn't make him the best. Why you may ask? I am thoroughly convinced if he fought Fedor he would lose horribly, thus invalidating the whole P4P crap.

Archived