American Kickboxing Academy VS. American Kickboxing Academy is a Lose-Lose Idea

The_Power

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10569&zoneid=13

Mike Swick Interview

Teammate versus teammate.

It has been a controversial subject that seems to gain more steam every time UFC president Dana White mentions the possibility of one fighter getting in contender status and a teammate climbing up the ladder right behind them.

To this date, no one has been forced to make that decision, but at American Kickboxing Academy they have three top ranked welterweights and it's always a hot topic to bring up.

White mentioned recently that he thought a great fight to determine a top contender would be Jon Fitch vs. Josh Koscheck, but again they didn't have to make that choice and each of them have different opponents.

AKA fighter Mike Swick talked about the impossible situation with MMAWeekly Radio recently.

"It's one of those questions that's hard to answer at this point, because there's no right answer," Swick said. "Right now we all have opponents and it's not an issue, so it's kind of like one of those things we just don't deal with until it becomes an issue.

"If one of us becomes the champion and the other one of us is a contender then we'll obviously have to deal with it then, and then who knows what would happen."

Swick believes right now the cons far outweigh the pros in a situation pitting one AKA fighter against another. He says the gym would face choosing sides, which is never a good place for a team.

"Right now it's a lose-lose. They've been asking us for over a year, maybe a year, year and a half, and we've never had to fight each other," Swick commented.

"Say we say we want to fight each other or something, now all of a sudden we have this tension between us and we're a direct result of each other. We're the fighters we are because of each other. So we don't want that tension in the gym of Koscheck calling me out, or saying he's going to beat me up, or Fitch saying he's going to beat Kos up or something like that."

While just about everybody agrees that fights between the welterweights at AKA would be big time match-ups, Swick feels that there are a great many factors that the average fan may not see if they were ever forced to fight one another.

"A lot of people don't see all the sides of what would actually happen. We'd have to divide our fight camp up, our coaches would have to take sides, and what makes us who we are is our coaching staff," said Swick.

"Plus it's not the fact that we don't want to hurt each other or fight each other cause we beat each other up every day. Trust me, if you ever went to our gym or you can ask someone that's been there, we don't hold back."

The former "Ultimate Fighter" contender admits that at the end of the day, the last thing he wants to do is further his career by hindering one of his teammates or vice versa. Swick considers the "brotherhood" among the fighters at AKA too much to sacrifice at this point.

"I don't want to be the guy to hand one of them a loss, they don't want to be the guy to hand me a loss. It's the after effect that I think is going to be the most problematic.?

I dislike what is happening in this regard in the UFC. Its becoming more about the camps and "teams" than the fighters. As long as the UFC holds the contracts it should be entirely up to them who fights who. Any fighter that refuses a fight due to what "team" they are on should be either forced to change weight class or dropped all together.

I don't understand why say any WW would ever go to AkA right now, it would do nothing but limit your career no matter how good the coaches or trainers are.

I dislike what is happening in this regard in the UFC. Its becoming more about the camps and "teams" than the fighters. As long as the UFC holds the contracts it should be entirely up to them who fights who. Any fighter that refuses a fight due to what "team" they are on should be either forced to change weight class or dropped all together.

I don't understand why say any WW would ever go to AkA right now' date=' it would do nothing but limit your career no matter how good the coaches or trainers are.[/quote']

SHUT UP IM GETTIN SO SICK OF PEOPLE CRYIN BECAUSE FRIENDS WONT FIGHT!!!

Fitch is boring anyways so who cares if he fights swick or kos.

and swick isnt a conteder i doubt he will be so again WHO CARES!

I'm sick of the team aspect that seems to be the trend in UFC right now. This is a business first and foremost. Every fighter should want to be the greatest of all-time and if that means beating a friend (if they are truly a fighter too they will respect that) then so be it.

go knockout your best friend and ill give you 100$

I don't understand why say any WW would ever go to AkA right now' date=' it would do nothing but limit your career no matter how good the coaches or trainers are.[/quote']

Camp rivalries are what make fights so much more entertaining and if you look at camp fighter rosters people dont stay at one camp forever so maybe fora couple of years all of these guys are at ak but next year they could all be somewhere diffrent. so if you choose to train with some top contenders for awhile and choose not to fight them while your working with them its more helping your career. if any of them felt hinderd in their career i think they would move to a diffrent camp its not like they are glued its just whats good for their tranining at the time

I don't understand why some people get mad when fighters don't want to fight other fighters in thier camp or friends won't fight friends. You guys just want to be entertained at any cost. As long as you are entertained that's all that matters. the fighters are just puppets. Who cares if thier is friction or conflict or relationships get strained. Or if somene gets knocked out, injured or scarred by a friend they have known since the second grade.

Why don't you guys try fighing your friend . As alliedwarrior said. go punch your friend in the face. really hard. I recommend the lips. A hard punch will split it wide open

I'm sick of the team aspect that seems to be the trend in UFC right now. This is a business first and foremost. Every fighter should want to be the greatest of all-time and if that means beating a friend (if they are truly a fighter too they will respect that) then so be it.
I don't know what to say, my friend. You probably aren't a fighter or are at least new to the game. Everybody wants to be the best, but sometimes you have to be realistic. When one realizes they are not the best fighter in the world or could never hope to be, it doesn't mean they should givve up. In fact it means they are able to see this sport from a different perspective. A truly rare one. Couple that with so many other dynamics. They have a career in this sport. They do better financially at this than any other thing they can do. They've formed friendships and reputations. In the gym, it's sometimes fairly obvious who the better fighter is, depending on how hard they go, so the stronger fighter may not want to embarass his friend and the other guy doesn't want to get an unnecessary loss or in some cases beat a friend by unfortunate luck.

I don't know what to say' date=' my friend. You probably aren't a fighter or are at least new to the game. Everybody wants to be the best, but sometimes you have to be realistic. When one realizes they are not the best fighter in the world or could never hope to be, it doesn't mean they should givve up. In fact it means they are able to see this sport from a different perspective. A truly rare one. Couple that with so many other dynamics. They have a career in this sport. They do better financially at this than any other thing they can do. They've formed friendships and reputations. In the gym, it's sometimes fairly obvious who the better fighter is, depending on how hard they go, so the stronger fighter may not want to embarass his friend and the other guy doesn't want to get an unnecessary loss or in some cases beat a friend by unfortunate luck.[/quote']

Looser mentality.

They ain't normal people just training to stay fit, or because it's cool.

They are fighters, they get paid to fight.

If any of them wants to be the best they will fight each other, if they don't is because they are not professionals.

No more bullsh*t talk and trying to hide the facts. They need to fight whoever the UFC want them to fight. Period.

SO does this make Swick/Kos/Fitch "Divas" like Silva and Machida have been labeled.

If you are not a fighter then you have no idea what this whole dilemma entails. We aren't talking about just friends, we are talking about training partners and confidants who are also essentially coaches and trainers in the fight camps. The fighters learn/get more benefit from these guuys than any one else. To ask them to fight would be like signiing Peyton Manning to a Saints contract on the night before the SuperBowl. Training partners not only know specific strengths to avoid but also specific weaknesses to exploit and it makes the whole competiton level very uneven.

And to say that these MEN should just shut up and do what they are told is such an outdated way of thinking. These are professional athletes, paid to do a job, but the UFC and Dana no more own these men and can force them to do anything any more than the McDonalds manager owns you and can force you to do anything you do not wish to do.

I am waiting for the first time Dana and his overblown sense of self importance and omnipotence tries to force a popular fighter to take a fight with his friend and the fighter walks because his word and his honor actually means something to him.

SO does this make Swick/Kos/Fitch "Divas" like Silva and Machida have been labeled.

If you are not a fighter then you have no idea what this whole dilemma entails. We aren't talking about just friends' date=' we are talking about training partners and confidants who are also essentially coaches and trainers in the fight camps. The fighters learn/get more benefit from these guuys than any one else. To ask them to fight would be like signiing Peyton Manning to a Saints contract on the night before the SuperBowl. Training partners not only know specific strengths to avoid but also specific weaknesses to exploit and it makes the whole competiton level very uneven.

And to say that these MEN should just shut up and do what they are told is such an outdated way of thinking. These are professional athletes, paid to do a job, but the UFC and Dana no more own these men and can force them to do anything any more than the McDonalds manager owns you and can force you to do anything you do not wish to do.

I am waiting for the first time Dana and his overblown sense of self importance and omnipotence tries to force a popular fighter to take a fight with his friend and the fighter walks because his word and his honor actually means something to him.[/quote']

This^

Archived