Haiti

sonson86

Now i am going to come off as a **** head here but how in the hell is the USA going to raise 57 million dollars for people that arent even americans?? Now hear me out here in the USA we have plenty of homeless people orphans elderly people who dont have money for the medical supplies that they need and the US is in debt up to its eyes. Yet we can have a fundraiser that is shows on every major television station and countless movie stars and musicians are more that happy to sign up for to make them selves look good. I am sorry if i sound like a prick but my point is that the US already has enough **** on its plate right now and every time there is any kind of disaster anywhere every country always looks to us with there hands out. Sure i am sorry for the people who lost their lives or have lost a loved one over in Haiti but it is not our problem to be honest..... hell did anyone from Haiti or thailand show up to help when hurricane katrina hit new orleans did they have a huge fundraiser for thoes people?? I think now... the reason i made this Thread is because countless people have asked me if i gave any money for the people in haiti and i simpley answerd no we have way to many problems here where we live for me to worrie about people that i have never met or will ever meet. You can call me heartless a **** or anything that you want to i really dont care.

EDIT: The reason i posted this is because i have been getting mixed emotions from my friends and co workers and i wanted to see what others around here thought.

I don't call you anything... You're a realist, so am I. Do you think the next major catastrophe that happens in the US will get this kind of support from anyone else? Maybe a half assed version from Canada or the UK, but thats a huge maybe.

How many people flocked to our country to lend aid, food, money, ANYTHING after Katrina or 9/11? Not very much, if any at all. The reason America will eventually collapse is because we always over extend ourselves helping everyone else out, but when we're in trouble you better believe that most nations on this planet would take that oppurtunity to kick us while we're down.

Now i am going to come off as a **** head here but how in the hell is the USA going to raise 57 million dollars for people that arent even americans?? Now hear me out here in the USA we have plenty of homeless people orphans elderly people who dont have money for the medical supplies that they need and the US is in debt up to its eyes. Yet we can have a fundraiser that is shows on every major television station and countless movie stars and musicians are more that happy to sign up for to make them selves look good. I am sorry if i sound like a prick but my point is that the US already has enough **** on its plate right now and every time there is any kind of disaster anywhere every country always looks to us with there hands out. Sure i am sorry for the people who lost their lives or have lost a loved one over in Haiti but it is not our problem to be honest..... hell did anyone from Haiti or thailand show up to help when hurricane katrina hit new orleans did they have a huge fundraiser for thoes people?? I think now... the reason i made this Thread is because countless people have asked me if i gave any money for the people in haiti and i simpley answerd no we have way to many problems here where we live for me to worrie about people that i have never met or will ever meet. You can call me heartless a **** or anything that you want to i really dont care.

Nothing wrong with people helping, but when was the last time we rallied and raised that kind of money for the homeless and hungry in the United States?

I don't call you anything... You're a realist' date=' so am I. Do you think the next major catastrophe that happens in the US will get this kind of support from anyone else? Maybe a half assed version from Canada or the UK, but thats a huge maybe.

How many people flocked to our country to lend aid, food, money, ANYTHING after Katrina or 9/11? Not very much, if any at all. The reason America will eventually collapse is because we always over extend ourselves helping everyone else out, but when we're in trouble you better believe that most nations on this planet would take that oppurtunity to kick us while we're down.[/quote']

I agree with this.

well its people donating .. so therefore its their own choice .. and fo the most part we already help homless etc... and if thy arent getting the support that is available thats kinda their fault .. yeah not every situatoin is the same i know and you can point out some that the us is screwed up on but for the most part there is something .. then you have the people in haiti where the kids, elderly, etc have been put out from a disaster .. tons of them overnight .. so thats the main reason .. yes we failed with katrina, etc .. but they are in need period

Now i am going to come off as a **** head here but how in the hell is the USA going to raise 57 million dollars for people that arent even americans??

Are you aware of where Haiti is geographically?

Trust me, even if you remove the compelling desire to do what's morally right (which you obviously have) it's in all of our best interest to help the Haitian people and to not have a country in such close proximity in a state of third world anarchy and desperation.

Nothing wrong with people helping' date=' but when was the last time we rallied and raised that kind of money for the homeless and hungry in the United States?[/quote']

I give money to the homless shelters in my citys granted it is not much but i give what i can and i volunteer to help out there as well.

EDIT: The reason i posted this is because i have been getting mixed emotions from my friends and co workers and i wanted to see what others around here thought.

all ur views r invalid, u cant make a comparison between haiti and america, america is a stable and rich country haiti is not, haiti doesnt have a stable government, america with all its techonology and its advancment u compare it 2 thailand, thailand doesnt have a stable government its a poor country, america was cable of helping the sufferers from katrina, america has the most billionaires millionaires...america can take care of it self...america is a developed country..haiti is not..thailand is not....

all ur views r invalid' date=' u cant make a comparison between haiti and america, america is a stable and rich country haiti is not, haiti doesnt have a stable government, america with all its techonology and its advancment u compare it 2 thailand, thailand doesnt have a stable government its a poor country, america was cable of helping the sufferers from katrina, america has the most billionaires millionaires...america can take care of it self...america is a developed country..haiti is not..thailand is not....[/quote']

So it's America's responsibility to bail the rest of the world out??? Is that your reasoning? So by this logic, if I get hurt and can't work, i can just go hit up the local rich guy to pay my bills for me? Maybe he'll build me a house too, or send my kids to college. Since he has the money and capability to sustain my family he is obligated to do so because I'm less fortunate???

Hogwash...

OK, i got your point, you are right USA should take care of its own problems, but as we all know, USA always like to get involved in other countries problems, I PERSONALLY THINK that there must be some kind of monetary interest for the USA otherwise they wouldnt be there with their fascist attitude, I'm not american and i really dont give a f--k about their problems because they have enough money to solve them by themselves, USA is the cancer of the world and i mean their government and mason politics, not their people.

BTW: USA is not America is just another country of a huge continent.

it is not my intention to offend anyone here I respect USA citizens but I despise USA government.

OK' date=' i got your point, you are right USA should take care of its own problems, but as we all know, USA always like to get involved in other countries problems, I PERSONALLY THINK that there must be some kind of monetary interest for the USA otherwise they wouldnt be there with their fascist attitude, I'm not american and i really dont give a f--k about their problems because they have enough money to solve them by themselves, USA is the cancer of the world and i mean their government and mason politics, not their people.

BTW: USA is not America is just another country of a huge continent.

it is not my intention to offend anyone here I respect USA citizens but I despise USA government.[/quote']

Well most American citizens would agree with your distaste of the government. It is reasons like foreign aid that keep Americans from getting things that they need, IE reasonible health care and lowered taxes.

i agree with you 100% america has its own problems just like everywhere in the world does.

I sent my $10 to red cross for Haiti.

There are lots and lots of place we can donate money too for many worthy causes. We have tv commercials for 2 months out of the year at my job, to help raise money for ST JUDES, and we raise a couple thousand every year in donations. Besides ST Judes , I also donate once or twice a year to red cross.

Haiti needed help in the worst way, and with all of the advertising and the ease of making a donation im not surprised at all at that 57 million dollar number. And I do belive a large part of that number came from large business's like walmart and mcdonalds.

People donating is a choice, as it is not forced...I'm totally ok with america helping others less fortunate than the united states, but if we are gonna jump and come together as a country to fix everyone else, then we as americans need to come together and fix ourselves first......just my opinion

Trust me' date=' even if you remove the compelling desire to do what's morally right (which you obviously have) it's in all of our best interest to help the Haitian people and to not have a country in such close proximity in a state of third world anarchy and desperation.[/quote']

I am kinda leaning more towards the OP and Kevbo's side. Firstly I believe to help others you need to have solid footing. This is something we don't have, unemployment is probably (the reality no Obama's #s) close to 20%, we are in for a wicked spell of inflation, more attempts at bailouts.

As for geographically I don't see how thats relevant. I get how there is a possibility of third world trouble spilling into US, but thats what CBP does.

As for the human compassion that I get. Sad people, dying puppies pull at my heart strings too. However Haiti is just a small percentage of the total human suffering in the world. If all this **** was front page everyday you'd go broke trying to help eveyone. You can't advance third world countries over night. There needs to be some kind of Marshall Plan, which is extremely costly and a progressive, willing populace.

In short, Haiti is ****ed EQ or not, for like next 100 years. Natural disasters happen, but now its 2010 you just hear and see them by of speed of information. We (US) is ****ed so if we do want to help others lets get ourselves back on track first.

Well most American citizens would agree with your distaste of the government. It is reasons like foreign aid that keep Americans from getting things that they need' date=' IE reasonible health care and lowered taxes.[/quote']

theres plenty of countries that don't spare a dime for the third world while we spend billions feeding people who have been taught that we are evil and they should die trying to kill us.

The united states gives wat too much control of our lifes to our government and we do nothing to prevent the government from screwing us over....Instead, most americans sit back and just accept whatever the government throws at us.....All it would take is for the people of the united states to make a stand one time against our government and we would regain some of our power...I mean, we as americans can never have anything in our lives that our government cannot take away from us. They say we own our property when we pay off our home, and we get a paper called a deed thaT SAYS THE SAME THING, yet, we are expected to pay the goverment X amount of money every year because we own our home, and if we dont pay them, they simply take our homes from us and sell them at auction prices...........Im not saying we have a bad government, but they are allowed to control us way too much, and until we make a stand against them and come together and make our voices heard, they are gonna continue taking more and more from us

UHH OHHH!!!!!! JIMMY CAGE just said some things that are very true............YET the majority of americans are afraid to truly stand up for what they believe in when it comes to confrontation against the very people we elected in hopes that they would make our lives better.......

UHH OHHH!!!!!! JIMMY CAGE just said some things that are very true............YET the majority of americans are afraid to truly stand up for what they believe in when it comes to confrontation against the very people we elected in hopes that they would make our lives better.......

Well, that is a stretch. The problem with American politics is that your average American knows little to nothing about the legislative branch and what they can and can't do. Plus many average Americans dont vote at all, so their not trying to help change anything. When a good ole boy system is in place, which is exactly what American politics is, they run unopposed to people of different thought purely because most of the people that do vote, don't care. Be active in your local government, vote at elections and work democracy like it is supposed to be worked.

Sorry for the rant but young America's timid approach to the government and voting really irks me.

Please my fellow Americans, stop complaining so much about what we don't have and look at what we do have.

We can blame our government for all our problems as much as we want, but in reality, we have to thank them as well for what they have made us into today. Nothings perfect and we aren't going to be either.

I don't call you anything... You're a realist' date=' so am I. Do you think the next major catastrophe that happens in the US will get this kind of support from anyone else? Maybe a half assed version from Canada or the UK, but thats a huge maybe.

How many people flocked to our country to lend aid, food, money, ANYTHING after Katrina or 9/11? Not very much, if any at all. The reason America will eventually collapse is because we always over extend ourselves helping everyone else out, but when we're in trouble you better believe that most nations on this planet would take that oppurtunity to kick us while we're down.[/quote']

Realism ftw. Pretty much sums me up right here.

The US does have it's own problems. But the US causes problems for other to. Look down the line of history and I'm sure you will find something the US did to Haiti. I don't have money and I still donated. I have a roof over my head and leftovers in the fridge. thats ALOT more than what they have. No disrespect to anyone, just my humble opinion. Have a nice day.

The US does have it's own problems. But the US causes problems for other to. Look down the line of history and I'm sure you will find something the US did to Haiti. I don't have money and I still donated. I have a roof over my head and leftovers in the fridge. thats ALOT more than what they have. No disrespect to anyone' date=' just my humble opinion. Have a nice day.[/quote']

well actually US has only really helped Haiti. Economic and Development assistance, combating drug lords and violence, reestablishing order during chaos, seeding new businesses.

Haiti is like a drunken drug addicted uncle, you can give him money and hope he uses it to turn his life around, but most likely he's going to buy an 8ball and a 5th.

The US does have it's own problems. But the US causes problems for other to. Look down the line of history and I'm sure you will find something the US did to Haiti. I don't have money and I still donated. I have a roof over my head and leftovers in the fridge. thats ALOT more than what they have. No disrespect to anyone' date=' just my humble opinion. Have a nice day.[/quote']

With this logic I can say, that I was issued to Iraq as a liberator, I had nothing more then the clothes on my back and the food I could scrounge from random rations. So now, in the future Iraq owes me what I gave them.

Hogwash...

I actually agree with this. We shouldn't meddle in forigen affiars in the first place.

I actually agree with this. We shouldn't meddle in forigen affiars in the first place.

You're from Lousiana, correct? Katrina hit very close to home to me because 75% of my family resides on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. No one was there to help but a few generous American corporations and the residents of those areas. i am a firm believer that overcoming adversities whether natural or not, are the reason strong civilizations flourish.

The old, give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime cliche.

You're from Lousiana' date=' correct? Katrina hit very close to home to me because 75% of my family resides on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. No one was there to help but a few generous American corporations and the residents of those areas. i am a firm believer that overcoming adversities whether natural or not, are the reason strong civilizations flourish.

The old, give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime cliche.[/quote']

you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot meke him drink

Im not responding to this. People should know by now how little I care of things like random groups of poeple dying.

Like the holocost... As bunch of jews were mistreated tortured and killed. Am I Jewish? NO... Am I german or a nazi? NO.... The history has nothing to do with me, it didn't affect me in any way... I can recognize it is a tragety but I still dont care. Same thing applies to Haiti and any other non american disasters.

If your in america and you live in a place like florida and are sick of having your home destroyed by hurricanes.... MOVE!!!! If you are in a place like Oklahoma and tornados are a problem.... MOVE!!!!!!

For gods sakes leave me and my pocket book alone. I WONT HELP YOU!

Im not responding to this. People should know by now how little I care of things like random groups of poeple dying.

Like the holocost... As bunch of jews were mistreated tortured and killed. Am I Jewish? NO... Am I german or a nazi? NO.... The history has nothing to do with me' date=' it didn't affect me in any way... I can recognize it is a tragety but I still dont care. Same thing applies to Haiti and any other non american disasters.

If your in america and you live in a place like florida and are sick of having your home destroyed by hurricanes.... MOVE!!!! If you are in a place like Oklahoma and tornados are a problem.... MOVE!!!!!!

For gods sakes leave me and my pocket book alone. I WONT HELP YOU![/quote']

was going to skip by this thread didn?t even read the op just saw the title that?s till I saw cryptic had posted on it so I thought I would see what he said, well well another spot on gem.

Here in the UK we are about to have another one of those pointless money drives to help the starving in Africa!!!!! Oh for god sake what?s the ****ing point?

we have been throwing money at that poxy country since the early eighties and it done no good at all apart from helping failing pop stars revive their career with a help Africa song or give stars of TV and music a nice all expenses paid trip to Africa(if you think they pay for their own ticket and stay in a shack you are ****ing deluded) imagine if the money the UK had raised had stayed in the UK and gone to fund something like child healthcare or cancer research instead of helping MUGABE get richer?

I?m with CRYPTIC leave me alone unless it?s helping people in my own country we have enough people who need help here.

SORRY now read this^ and i think you are spot on,it is and will always be trendy and popular to make yourself look better by saying how concerned you are about poor little starving people in foriegn countries while ignoring the fact that your own country has problems in it,i was asked by someone recently if i had watched the memorial for MICHAEL JACKSON to which i replied no i was busy watching the re-patriation of our war dead wich was on tv at the same time.

Trust me' date=' even if you remove the compelling desire to do what's morally right (which you obviously have) it's in all of our best interest to help the Haitian people and to not have a country in such close proximity in a state of third world anarchy and desperation.[/quote']

what cos it was an icon of civility before? wow how ignorant can you get?

SORRY now read this^ and i think you are spot on' date='it is and will always be trendy and popular to make yourself look better by saying how concerned you are about poor little starving people in foriegn countries while ignoring the fact that your own country has problems in it,i was asked by someone recently if i had watched the memorial for MICHAEL JACKSON to which i replied no i was busy watching the re-patriation of our war dead wich was on tv at the same time.[/quote']

I was watching that Euro Reporter in afghanistan (the show on Discovery) and they were at camp bastion loading a C-17 with fallen Brits, i started to cry, then it showed you guys marching and saluting and I started to Laugh, but then I felt bad cause I was laughing at a dead sercvice member and started crying again, it was a nasty circle until I vomited my lunch all over my uniform and boots. A soldiers death is never funny. But your army's Drill and Ceremony is enough to make me laugh when Im sad and laugh cry till I puke.

You ever see that Brit comedy Red Dwarf? fuggin classic.

i was watching that euro reporter in afghanistan (the show on discovery) and they were at camp bastion loading a c-17 with fallen brits' date=' i started to cry, then it showed you guys marching and saluting and i started to laugh, but then i felt bad cause i was laughing at a dead sercvice member and started crying again, it was a nasty circle until i vomited my lunch all over my uniform and boots. A soldiers death is never funny. [b']but your army's drill and ceremony is enough to make me laugh when im sad and laugh cry till i puke.[/b]

you ever see that brit comedy red dwarf? Fuggin classic.

its called having a history and a bit of culture something you yanks may get to grips with when your country is a bit older than some cheese:)

my point is why would they help them when they wont help people here??

Well because Haiti and Thailand and such places are 3RD WORLD countries, im sure i dont have to explain to you what that is. Not sure if you knew that before, but thats why other countries help them out and not the other way around.

Ima try to put this in the form of a metaphor.

Imagine yourself as America, and the little kid as Haiti or some other 3rd world country

You have a ridiculous headache(americas problems) that youre trying to get rid of but still trying to find the right medicine for it. You see a little kid, with an even worse headache, is really sick, and in crutches(for the sake of showing that its a third world country) , fall and start drowning in a body of water, do you go to help the kid even though youre enduring a ridiculous headache? Or do you let the kid drown because of that same reason?

Maybe that wasnt the best metaphor, but i tried to explain it as best as i could

and yes i know its a different situation than "a kid drowning" but you get the point

Well because Haiti and Thailand and such places are 3RD WORLD countries' date=' im sure i dont have to explain to you what that is. Not sure if you knew that before, but thats why other countries help them out and not the other way around.

Ima try to put this in the form of a metaphor.

Imagine yourself as America, and the little kid as Haiti or some other 3rd world country

You have a ridiculous headache(americas problems) that youre trying to get rid of but still trying to find the right medicine for it. You see a little kid, with an even worse headache, is really sick, and in crutches(for the sake of showing that its a third world country) , fall and start drowning in a body of water, do you go to help the kid even though youre enduring a ridiculous headache? Or do you let the kid drown because of that same reason?

Maybe that wasnt the best metaphor, but i tried to explain it as best as i could

and yes i know its a different situation than "a kid drowning" but you get the point[/quote']

/fart noise

Piss poor planning on their part does not require an emergency on mine. Every respected nation in the world was once a young, upstart, struggling country. The difference is that the one's that succeed, wanted to succeed. The nations that remain living in filth and disease do so because they choose to.

/fart noise

Piss poor planning on their part does not require an emergency on mine. Every respected nation in the world was once a young' date=' upstart, struggling country. The difference is that the one's that succeed, wanted to succeed. The nations that remain living in filth and disease do so because they choose to.[/quote']

Controversial but true.

Controversial but true.

It is harsh, yes, but it is true. If you know you're living in an area that has disasters like earthquakes periodically there are measures to take in order to limit the damage. Japan has gone to the extent of building its structures in heavily populated areas on giant rockers so that they will sway back and forth with the earthquake.

I understand that some are going to say, well Haiti isn't Japan, it's poor, they have a corrupt government... Blah, blah, blah. Thats their fault.

Like the holocost... As bunch of jews were mistreated tortured and killed. Am I Jewish? NO... Am I german or a nazi? NO.... The history has nothing to do with me' date=' it didn't affect me in any way... I can recognize it is a tragety but I still dont care. Same thing applies to Haiti and any other non american disasters.

For gods sakes leave me and my pocket book alone. I WONT HELP YOU![/quote']

Saying the holocost had no affect on America is wrong. I'm not trying to knock on you or anything but it had a huge affect on most of the world. And by affecting America it has something to do with you. If I remember correctly you either are in the armed forces or are no longer in it, either way I have great respect for you. BUT, have you forgotten WW2?

What amazes me most is how the USA are getting no credit for what they are doing at all, most people are so quick to jump on them when they do things we dont agree with yet wont give them credit when its due..

Sure some nations have sent a little aid and man power etc but the USA were all over this from day one and are still being heavily criticised..fking amazes me tbh..and no i aint American.

It is harsh what has happened but if people think these so called "Stars" are in it to help then you need to stay off the drugs, most of them have there own agenda and its not to help people..

Wow, just ...wow.

If America chooses to put itself forth as the moral and civil compass for the world, which every American does by supporting foreign wars and embargos and tarrifs against countries we find morally in opposition to American views, then it is our responsibility to do what we can to help the less fortunate or agrieved both at home and abroad. This may offend your xenophobic attitude or upset your superiority complex, but every great society will be judged by history not according to military conquest, but the quality of life they offered not only their own citizens but all citizens of the planet.

Go on about how we should be helping our own countrymen first, but what have YOU done, right here at home, to help anyone except yourself, other than complain about taxes, welfare, medical reform, etc.. Have you done anything to help all these homeless, lacking in medical care, poor people in America that you are all so suddenly worried about before the thousands dying daily due to lack of food, clean water, and medicine in a country destroyed by one of the strongest ever recorded earthquakes. Haiti's unstable government, poor economy, years of civil war had absolutely zero to do with an earthquake destroying the entire infrsatructure of the country. Unless you are the Pat Robertson type who said it was God repaying their sins, like he said in the gulf coast after Katrina.

And just to clear something up here, look at the reports. There were scores of countries lined up offering help during 9/11 and Katrina but the W. administrarion, with the same xenophobic attitude refused all offers of help. There were countries, including some of these third world countries you badmouth, that were ready to deploy and be on site within 48 hrs of Katrina yet it took W 5 fricking days. How many thousands died because we didn't want no damn foreigners in our backyard? Sad.

This is a global community we live in now, get used to it.

Whatever happened to doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do? I guess it went the way of personal freedoms, your right to privacy, freedom of speech and press, responsible free market economics... all casualties of the Bush Administration.

This entire thread and most replys within saddens me intensely. This country which we believe is the best on Earth, is supposed to be better than that.

Wow' date=' just ...wow.

If America chooses to put itself forth as the moral and civil compass for the world, which every American does by supporting foreign wars and embargos and tarrifs against countries we find morally in opposition to American views, then it is our responsibility to do what we can to help the less fortunate or agrieved both at home and abroad. This may offend your xenophobic attitude or upset your superiority complex, but every great society will be judged by history not according to military conquest, but the quality of life they offered not only their own citizens but all citizens of the planet.

[b']Go on about how we should be helping our own countrymen first, but what have YOU done, right here at home, to help anyone except yourself, other than complain about taxes, welfare, medical reform, etc.. [/b]Have you done anything to help all these homeless, lacking in medical care, poor people in America that you are all so suddenly worried about before the thousands dying daily due to lack of food, clean water, and medicine in a country destroyed by one of the strongest ever recorded earthquakes. Haiti's unstable government, poor economy, years of civil war had absolutely zero to do with an earthquake destroying the entire infrsatructure of the country. Unless you are the Pat Robertson type who said it was God repaying their sins, like he said in the gulf coast after Katrina.

And just to clear something up here, look at the reports. There were scores of countries lined up offering help during 9/11 and Katrina but the W. administrarion, with the same xenophobic attitude refused all offers of help. There were countries, including some of these third world countries you badmouth, that were ready to deploy and be on site within 48 hrs of Katrina yet it took W 5 fricking days. How many thousands died because we didn't want no damn foreigners in our backyard? Sad.

This is a global community we live in now, get used to it.

Whatever happened to doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do? I guess it went the way of personal freedoms, your right to privacy, freedom of speech and press, responsible free market economics... all casualties of the Bush Administration.

This entire thread and most replys within saddens me intensely. This country which we believe is the best on Earth, is supposed to be better than that.

If this was directed at me, then you have no idea what you're talking about. What have I done, you ask??? I served in the military and served as a liberator for 3 seperate countries(Iraq, Afghanistan, and South Korea) all the while watching my brothers in arms and countrymen senselessly killed for nations that really could give 2 ***** what we're doing, they just want money. So before you go off on a generalization tangent about what people haven't done, you should open your eyes and read why people are complaining in the first place.

Archived