The next possible title shots.

TheHorror

Going by the assumption that each champm has an average 3 fights per year, I chose who I think will be the next three challengers in each division. I did not include match-up that have already been set (or at least rumored to be.) i.e. Belfort, Edgar, Hardy, Carwin, Mir.

In no specific order:

LW

Maynard

Griffin

Gomi

Honorable Mention: Florian, J. Miller

While Maynard isn't known to be a fight finisher he is undefeated, and is a great fighter. After Edgar, I think he's next. Griffin has become nothing less than amazing since we first saw him. If he keeps this pace up and wins a couple more fights i can see him fighting for the belt. While some may argue that Gomi shouldn't be here, well...he should. No doubt an immediate top 10 in the division, Gomi is rumored to fight Florian in March. If he gets past Florian, which he may or may not he'll definately be in line.

WW

Koscheck

Thiago

Daley

Honorable Mention: Fitch, Swick, Alves

Koscheck is without a doubt, along with Daley, one of the biggest d-bags the UFC has ever seen. That being said, they both deserve a title shot sooner or later. They're set to fight eachother for a possible title shot at UFC 113, and while I hope a double KO occurs, that's not likely. However, I think even the loser will come back and get on top again. Paulo Thiago already KOd Kos, and is right up there with the big names now. His striking has evolved and his JJ has always been good. He's got the tools to get to the title, and i think he'll get a crack at it.

MW

Marquardt

Sonnen

Maia

Honorable Mention: Bisping, W. Silva

Marquardt was robbed of a rematch when Silva/Belfort was announced, plain and simple. While Sonnen and Maia aren't at the tippy top right now, I don't see much else in this division. It's a very shallow division, and beyond the top 5, there's nearly nobody. The Wandy/Bisping fight may determine who will rise next, but for now I think these three guys are the best in the division and will be the next to get shots.

LHW

Rampage/Evans winner

Couture

Jones

Honorable Mention: Lil Nog, Griffin

I'm not sure if it was reliable but I recall reading something on here that stated a statement by Dana saying that if Rampage won impressively he would get a title shot. Coming off two wins and TUF show he will look to do so. While I don't think Couture deserves another title shot, it has been stated that he will be in line after a win over Coleman. If he could at least get one top 10 fight under his belt before that I'd be happy. If Jones defeats Vera, I can see him fighting a couple more times, then comes the title in late 2010- early 2011

HW

Noguiera

Dos Santos

Velasquez

Big Nog is at the top and a win over velasquez and possibly the loser of Mir/Carwin would put him right there for the shot. Dos Santos has proved in all of his fights that he is just a monster. Stopping top competition in the first round puts you nowhere but the top, and I see him fighting for the belt in 2010. Velasquez is still undefeated and in great fashion. If he can overcome the odds and dfeat the legend of Big Nog, it will be hard to name a true top contender. 2010 is the year of the heavyweights.

LW - Maynard or Winner of Florian / Gomi ** Although Gomi hasnt fought yet in the UFC he has beaten Aurelio, Ludwig & Pulver and has obviously been brought in as a contender - not saying i agree.

WW - Winner of Kos / Daley or Fitch

MW - Marquadt without a shadow of a doubt

LHW - Lil Nog or winner of Rampage / Evans

HW - Winner of Carwin / Mir v Winner of Nog / Cain then faces Brock i guess.

Well lets see...

Fitch just beat Thiago' date=' so that should put him ahead of Thiago.

Gomi fought WHO in the UFC ?

Maia went night nights in his last fight!

Jones "Hyped" Bones hasn't even fought a top 10 guy.

your picks could use a lot a work.[/quote']

Whoa Whoa Whoa. Slow down there girlfriend!!!!! Jon Jones "Hype"? I dont think so buddy just wait till we see him fight Vera I know he'll prove you and others wrong! Maia got caught it happens he is gonna have to go through a couple more opponents with convincing wins to get a title shot and Gomi is ranked in the top 10 LW so he even though he hasn't fought anybody in the UFC he still gets the respect as being a top contender but we will really see where he's at when he fights Florian. And I kinda want Flo to win because he looks revitalized!!!! But that "Hyped" thing you said about Jones is not true at all definitely not hyped at all you can see his potential when he fights

LW - Maynard or Winner of Florian / Gomi ** Although Gomi hasnt fought yet in the UFC he has beaten Aurelio' date=' Ludwig & Pulver and has obviously been brought in as a contender - not saying i agree.

WW - Winner of Kos / Daley or Fitch

MW - Marquadt without a shadow of a doubt

LHW - Lil Nog or winner of Rampage / Evans

HW - Winner of Carwin / Mir v Winner of Nog / Cain then faces Brock i guess.[/quote']

Lil Nog... did i miss something?

Whoa Whoa Whoa. Slow down there girlfriend!!!!! Jon Jones "Hype"? I dont think so buddy just wait till we see him fight Vera I know he'll prove you and others wrong! Maia got caught it happens he is gonna have to go through a couple more opponents with convincing wins to get a title shot and Gomi is ranked in the top 10 LW so he even though he hasn't fought anybody in the UFC he still gets the respect as being a top contender but we will really see where he's at when he fights Florian. And I kinda want Flo to win because he looks revitalized!!!! But that "Hyped" thing you said about Jones is not true at all definitely not hyped at all you can see his potential when he fights

Im taking Vera. Although i too think Bones will blossom... Hes just getting all this hype and hasnt done anything or beat anybody yet.

WW Daley will be next after Hardy fiasco. Period.

MW Nate deserves it like none else provided he goes through Sonnen. Maia? Despite possessing the most beautiful bjj in mma his striking is suspect. Not ready yet.

LHW I'd give it to a winner of Rampage/Evans vs Lil Nog/Griffin

HW I think its already set. Brock will fight a winner of Mir/Carwin

Im taking Vera. Although i too think Bones will blossom... Hes just getting all this hype and hasnt done anything or beat anybody yet.

Actually he has done something and he has beat some well respected fighters. He slapped up Stephan Bonner, Jake O'Brien & mosty recently DOMINATED MATT HAMMIL even though he lost that fight due to illegal elbows he completely dominated and from these 3 fights eveyone could tell he needs to step up in competetion and now he is by taking on Vera a very very well respected fighter so just in 3 fights he has shown that he deserves to fight with the upper class fighters so yes he has beat 3 good fighters and well see how he does against Vera but there is no hype around Jones at all the UFC is not hyping him at all the people are because they see what he is capable of

Lightweight, I see Maynard, Edgar, Florian, Griffin, and Gomi(at least on the condition he isn't utterly embarrassed by Florian) as being a part of the title picture.

Welterweight, I see Kos, Paulo, Hardy, Alves, Fitch, and Daley as being a solid part of the title picture.

Middleweight, I see Marquardt and Vitor. Right now that's honestly about it, though on the chance that Sonnen pulls off the upset he'd be right there too.

Light Heavyweight, I see Shogun, Rashad, Rampage, Couture(unfortunately). I think Vera, Jones, Forrest, Little Nog, and Thiago Silva are all only a small ways away from being in there too.

Heavyweight, I see Carwin, Mir, Dos Santos, Nogueira, and Velasquez. This is the best division right now hands down.

LW: Maynard, Florian/Gomi Winner, Griffin

WW: Kosheck/Daley Winner, Fitch/Alves Winner, BJ

MW: Mardquardt, Silva/Bisping Winner, Akiyama

LHW: Rampage/Evans Winner, Couture, Jones/Vera Winner

HW: Mir/Carwin Winner, BigNog/Cain Winner, JDS/Napao Winner

*Predicted Winners in BOLD

Actually he has done something and he has beat some well respected fighters. He slapped up Stephan Bonner' date=' Jake O'Brien & mosty recently DOMINATED MATT HAMMIL even though he lost that fight due to illegal elbows he completely dominated and from these 3 fights eveyone could tell he needs to step up in competetion and now he is by taking on Vera a very very well respected fighter so just in 3 fights he has shown that he deserves to fight with the upper class fighters so yes he has beat 3 good fighters and well see how he does against Vera but there is no hype around Jones at all the UFC is not hyping him at all the people are because they see what he is capable of[/quote']

I hope Jon Jones is as awesome as he seems, but slapping up Stephan Bonnar is hardly some great feat, and I bet Matt Hamill would've done more if his shoulder hadn't been dislocated(I still think Jones would've won, don't get me wrong, and I still say that DQ was BS, it should've been a NC).

I hope Jon Jones is as awesome as he seems' date=' but slapping up Stephan Bonnar is hardly some great feat, and I bet Matt Hamill would've done more if his shoulder hadn't been dislocated(I still think Jones would've won, don't get me wrong, and I still say that DQ was BS, it should've been a NC).[/quote']

In fairness Hamills shoulder was dislocated because Jones slammed him down so hard so that was part of him dominating, not an excuse to use afterwards, he didnt start the fight injured.

Its like Lidell saying it was only because he was unconcious that Evans beat him.

The guys I listed may not get title shots, I just listed those that I think could possibly get it in the near future. For instance if Sonnen pulls off an upset, he may be next in line, sadly. And Fitch is just boring. He wins fights but he wasn't on the main list for the same reason Edgar is getting a shot before Maynard. He doesn't finish fight, nor does he try to.I had to choose between Jones and Vera, and I felt that Jones will use that monster reach to his advantage. Bisping can't hang with top competition, even in the shallowest weight class.

In fairness Hamills shoulder was dislocated because Jones slammed him down so hard so that was part of him dominating' date=' not an excuse to use afterwards, he didnt start the fight injured.

Its like Lidell saying it was only because he was unconcious that Evans beat him.[/quote']

Haha, fair enough.

I'm just saying I'd like to him fight someone higher-ranked(Vera should do) and where something out of the ordinary doesn't happen before I start thinking of him as the champion-to-be.

Here's who I believe deserves the title and who I want to see compete for it.

LW: Deserves - Gray Maynard, and I want to see KenFlo go again, and after 2-3 more wins, maybe kurt pellegrino

WW: Deserves - Alves/Koscheck, and I want to see mike swick try on GSP and maybe if rick story has 3-4 more wins I'd like to see him.

MW: Deserves - Nate the Great, and i want to see either wandy or bisping believe it or not.

LHW: Deserves - After shogun I'd say rashad/rampage, but i want to see jon bones after 2-3 more wins, and forrest also see randy possibly

HW: Deserves - Cain Velasquiz def, but i wouldnt mind big nog/JDS/carwin

Honestly for the MW and WW belts I want to see Anderson Silva vs GSP at catchweight for both titles on the line. O.O

1. Paul daley needs a new dentist! Gold teeth...lol

He thinks hes James Bond....lol.......when the chicks see him I am sure they head the other direction......unless they are hard up!

2. he is nothing more then another Melvin Gillard.....when he starts fighting top level competition....he will get smashed.

He is way over hyped....and Im tired of hearing the symtex thing....lol

Archived