Do you actually think Mir will beat Carwin?

gee_sus

i think it is going to resemble Lesnar Mir 2, more of the same, but who knows, I personally think Carwin is overrated, he hasn't beaten anyone but scrubs, and Gonzaga in my opinion is a scrub, However Mir hasn't beaten anyone worth a damn latley either, Congo, Big Nog.

Big Nog was all messed up going into that fight, and Congo is a joke.

Battle of the scrubs.

who wins, i don't care

i think it is going to resemble Lesnar Mir 2' date=' more of the same, but who knows, I personally think Carwin is overrated, he hasn't beaten anyone but scrubs, and Gonzaga in my opinion is a scrub, However Mir hasn't beaten anyone worth a damn latley either, Congo, Big Nog.

Big Nog was all messed up going into that fight, and Congo is a joke.

Battle of the scrubs.

who wins, i don't care[/quote']

i think carwin wins this one

but.....nog......a.............joke?

and congo really is NO JOKE either...he just needs to work on some ground game,even though that really had nothing to do with his last loss

and i really dont think gonzaga is a scrub either...he's a dangerous dude

I wasn't refering to Big Nog as a joke, what i meant was he was in no condition to fight Mir, had he been 100% or even 90% we would have seen a different outcome, and Congo is pretty one dimensional, i think Mir could have beat him on a bad day, and as far as Gonzaga, he KOed an over the hill Cro cop which is his only claim to fame.

]its like you dont understand that kongo's striking is very [/b]high up there in the HW div and Mir nearly knocked him out with 1 punch then tapped him while he was rocked' date=' if mir had gotten it to the ground and fooled around there with kongo then you could say that win meant nothing[/quote']

just because you can punch extremely well doesnt mean you can take one

Mir is the better overall fighter. Carwin is the naturally bigger guy with perhaps the most KO power in the game.

Either could win. Mir if he can stay away from the power...and be fast and use straight punches.

With Carwin...he's always been about that one shot. And he could conceivably land it at any time.

All that said..I pick Mir to win based on skill, speed and a decent chin. He knows what Carwin is bringing and it's easier to prepare for heavy hands than it is to prepare for a well rounded fighter in all aspects.

Cheers

-DR

also when it comes to carwin,you can say he's never really fought anyone but gonzaga,and even gonzaga isnt like #1 contender kinda guy

but what i always think,it isnt that shane carwin has fough n beat "scrubs"...

its the fact that he dosent need a wind up or anything...one punch.....any punch...can put someone to sleep

and i think people highly over look the fact that he's 11-0...and out of 11 fights...he's only spent 9 minutes and 22 seconds in there

with 2:11 being his longest fight

imo that is not something to overlook

Mir is the better overall fighter. Carwin is the naturally bigger guy with perhaps the most KO power in the game.

Either could win. Mir if he can stay away from the power...and be fast and use straight punches.

With Carwin...he's always been about that one shot. And he could conceivably land it at any time.

All that said..I pick Mir to win based on skill' date=' speed and a decent chin. He knows what Carwin is bringing and it's easier to prepare for heavy hands than it is to prepare for a well rounded fighter in all aspects.

Cheers

-DR[/quote']

all true...but carwin also wont have fought in a year by the time this fight happens,and workin with nate the great on BJJ and just training with the guys at greg jackson's camp,im sure we'll see some improvement

also when it comes to carwin' date='you can say he's never really fought anyone but gonzaga,and even gonzaga isnt like #1 contender kinda guy

but what i always think,it isnt that shane carwin has fough n beat "scrubs"...

its the fact that he dosent need a wind up or anything...one punch.....any punch...can put someone to sleep

and i think people highly over look the fact that he's 11-0...and out of 11 fights...he's only spent 9 minutes and 22 seconds in there

with 2:11 being his longest fight

imo that is not something to overlook[/quote']

Oh definitely...Gonzaga is a legit win for anyone. And yes Carwin's kind of KO power...you can't teach anyone...you've got it or not. His is off the charts. Quite possibly the heaviest hands in the sport outside of 350 pound monsters. His shots are deceptively powerful...when you look at the blow that dropped Gonzaga it was like nothing...but it shut Gabriel OFF. That is scary stuff. Couldn't imagine what a full bore from the legs blow would do to someone. And he will always have that in his pocket going into any fight.

Cheers

-DR

all true...but carwin also wont have fought in a year by the time this fight happens' date='and workin with nate the great on BJJ and just training with the guys at greg jackson's camp,im sure we'll see some improvement[/quote']

Oh yeah dude..I'm not trying to suggest that Carwin is a one trick pony at all. He's got legit wrestling among other things. I'm just looking at their career in fight performance.

Mir has shown more versatility and higher degrees of skill than Carwin.

While Carwin has finished all his guys so quick with his hands it's all we've really seen from him. Doesn't mean it's all he's got, it's just that with Mir we've got more info to go on and against a different caliber of opponent.

Cheers

-DR

Carwin got a stronger chin

We haven't seen much of it. He was rocked by Gonzaga but any legit HW that connects has that potential so it's not really a strike against him. But I'd say as of now, I can't really rate Carwins chin as anything but average because I just don't have enough info. He hasn't had enough fights where guys have landed solid shots. (Which in the long run is a good thing. *chuckle)

Cheers

-DR

should be entertaining at least, we can go on and on all day about who is better at what, Carwin has power no doubt, but most of those knockouts were to me nothing more than lucky punches, but who knows i wasn't there, Mir is strongest on the ground. but he hasn't been much on the ground lately with the exception of choking out Congo.

Carwin's best plan would be to take a page out of Brock's book and lay into Mir with bombs on the ground.

should be entertaining at least' date=' we can go on and on all day about who is better at what, Carwin has power no doubt, but most of those knockouts were to me nothing more than lucky punches, but who knows i wasn't there, Mir is strongest on the ground. but he hasn't been much on the ground lately with the exception of choking out Congo.

Carwin's best plan would be to take a page out of Brock's book and lay into Mir with bombs on the ground.[/quote']

True but Carwin doesn't have the same wrestling pedigree that Lesnar does...Lesnars top control is remarkable, hard to think of many who could top it at that size. And Mir's been through the Lesnar gauntlet and I guarantee you he's played that fight over 1000 times in his head and in reality..he's working on how to not get trapped like that again. So those kind of things work against Carwin being able to effectively emulate Lesnar.

Another thing to consider is that Carwin isn't as quick as Lesnar...so that paired with his inferior top control (as compared to Lesnar) may make him more susceptible to submissions or sweeps from the bottom

Cheers

-DR

True but Carwin doesn't have the same wrestling pedigree that Lesnar does...Lesnars top control is remarkable' date=' hard to think of many who could top it at that size. And Mir's been through the Lesnar gauntlet and I guarantee you he's played that fight over 1000 times in his head and in reality..he's working on how to not get trapped like that again. So those kind of things work against Carwin being able to effectively emulate Lesnar.

Another thing to consider is that Carwin isn't as quick as Lesnar...so that paired with his inferior top control (as compared to Lesnar) may make him more susceptible to submissions or sweeps from the bottom

Cheers

-DR[/quote']

Yes very true, i didn't think about that, Mir has a pretty good standup and could probably avoid that big punch, if he stays with what took out Congo, hard one to call really.

Yes very true' date=' i didn't think about that, Mir has a pretty good standup and could probably avoid that big punch, if he stays with what took out Congo, hard one to call really.[/quote']

Yeah it is a tough call. Anytime your dealing with a guy with that rare KO power that Carwin possess. The proverbial "punchers chance" becomes alot more of a factor.

Mir could be thrashing Carwin for two and a half rounds..but if one of Carwins hands finds Mir's chin solidly....that's the game.

Cheers

-DR

Carwin got a stronger chin

do you take stupid pills or something??? Gonzaga had Carwin rocked when zaga got caught... Mir has been hit by people that hit way harder then Carwin and not been put down... go watch his fight with Freeman... Freeman has some of the heavest hands of anyone thats ever fought at HW and Mir took a beating in that fight but he was never close to be out... he gassed to the point he could not keep going but he was never close to being out...

Mir has a very very solid chin... and anyone who follows MMA knows that you retards that think Brock is a good all round fighter cannot even being to see what it really takes to bee a great fighter. Mir will not be KOed

Oh yeah dude..I'm not trying to suggest that Carwin is a one trick pony at all. He's got legit wrestling among other things. I'm just looking at their career in fight performance.

Mir has shown more versatility and higher degrees of skill than Carwin.

While Carwin has finished all his guys so quick with his hands it's all we've really seen from him. Doesn't mean it's all he's got' date=' it's just that with Mir we've got more info to go on and against a different caliber of opponent.

Cheers

-DR[/quote']

yea for sure...i like shane carwin,he is an interesting fighter to me due to the big time power in his punches along with his wrestling background,plus he played football in college,so he has some athletisicm as well,not just a big strong guy

but i do have to agree about mir,he's showed his hands are improving and we already knew his BJJ was top notch

plus that size he is adding,if he learns how to use it right and not let it affect cardio to much,i think he could be the UFC HW champ in time

i think the HW division is going to be very exciting in the next year or two

do you take stupid pills or something??? Gonzaga had Carwin rocked when zaga got caught... Mir has been hit by people that hit way harder then Carwin and not been put down... go watch his fight with Freeman... Freeman has some of the heavest hands of anyone thats ever fought at HW and Mir took a beating in that fight but he was never close to be out... he gassed to the point he could not keep going but he was never close to being out...

Mir has a very very solid chin... and anyone who follows MMA knows that you retards that think Brock is a good all round fighter cannot even being to see what it really takes to bee a great fighter. Mir will not be KOed

calm down lol I'm not even trying to debate this fight. I don't even believe my own words.

and i don't like brock. thought i made that clear

yea for sure...i like shane carwin' date='he is an interesting fighter to me due to the big time power in his punches along with his wrestling background,plus he played football in college,so he has some athletisicm as well,not just a big strong guy

but i do have to agree about mir,he's showed his hands are improving and we already knew his BJJ was top notch

plus that size he is adding,if he learns how to use it right and not let it affect cardio to much,i think he could be the UFC HW champ in time

i think the HW division is going to be very exciting in a year or two[/quote']

I agree...I think it's just now starting to show some signs of life. It's been the lagging division in MMA as far as talent goes, but it's improving and catching up with the other divisions little by little year over year.

Cheers

-DR

yea for sure...i like shane carwin' date='he is an interesting fighter to me due to the big time power in his punches along with his wrestling background,plus he played football in college,so he has some athletisicm as well,not just a big strong guy

i think the HW division is going to be very exciting in a year or two[/quote']

do not be fooled by carwin getting so many first round wins... Mir has been fighting higher caliber fighters and still have 9 wins in the first round... Mir would have many more if not for his accident

I dont see Mir pulling this one out of the hat, at the same time Mir seems alot quicker than Carwin, yet Carwin 1 punch KO'd a guy who has taken a few bad beatings and not gon out himself. Carwin has wrestling and from some of his first fights I've caught on youtube he's got decent ground control. Mir has sick game off his back but IDK.

Final Call is Carwin by T(KO) round 1. The way I see it play out is Mir feeling confidnet in his new stand up game from his win over Kongo and his domination on the Feet of Brock (regardless of how it ended Mir got some shots in on the feet) will try and Ropadope and box for a bit in the first round and eventually get caught with the show stopper.

i think carwin wins this one

but.....nog......a.............joke?

and congo really is NO JOKE either...he just needs to work on some ground game' date='even though that really had nothing to do with his last loss

and i really dont think gonzaga is a scrub either...he's a dangerous dude[/quote']

Kongo is possibly the biggest joke that actually gets airtime in the UFC. He's a complete bum as a fighter, only really able to beat other bums. His stand up is OK, but nothing to fear too much. He has the worst ground game in the UFC and he has no chin.

Gonzaga is a hard hitter. Do you think Mir hit's any harder than he does? IMO no. And as far as Mir's chin goes' date=' I mean.. Wes Sims, Vera...

im not crediting all this. just hrowing it out there lol[/quote']

Wes Sims knocked him out by foot stomping his face in, hardly a fair test of chin that, and Vera crumpled Randy Couture more than once, so there's not really a whole lot of shame in that.

Kongo is possibly the biggest joke that actually gets airtime in the UFC. He's a complete bum as a fighter' date=' only really able to beat other bums. His stand up is OK, but nothing to fear too much. He has the worst ground game in the UFC and he has no chin.[/quote']

I would say houston Alexander and Drew Mcfedries have worse ground game than Kongo.

I'm not sure why everybody thinks that Mir will have a cake walk on the ground. All things being equal, I'd say that good wrestling at least cancels out good BJJ. Sure if you make a mistake agaisnt a BJJ fighter you get caught in a triangle or a kimura. But make a mistake against a strong wrestler and you give up full mount or side control, you are just as F'd. Plus BJJ guys like to fight from their backs, and that plays right into a wrestlers hands.

its like you dont understand that kongo's striking is very high up there in the HW div and Mir nearly knocked him out with 1 punch then tapped him while he was rocked' date=' if mir had gotten it to the ground and fooled around there with kongo then you could say that win meant nothing[/quote']

yeah, Kongo is the 4th most accurate striker in the ufc

It has potential to be a close fight, but Mir has to dodge the bullet for several rounds, and that's not likely to happen. Carwin lands the big shot eventuallly.

On a side note, Carwin is a real class-act. He donated a signed t-shirt to a fundraiser I'm running, and we put it up as the Grand Prize. Really cool to see an athlete of his caliber helping out less fortunate fighters. Check out the fundraiser page. http://tinyurl.com/ya4fyjc

I've never understood those who criticize a fighter for having a weak chin because "they got rocked"...if memory serves me correctly Carwin weathered taking a huge blow from a HW and came back to beat Gonzaga...hardly sounds like someone who can take a punch.

LOL! your the man!

I trust my predictions because I've only lost money on 3 fights and those 3 were all pantsshxtting upsets that nobody could have reasonably predicted. My excellent prediction record is due to my ability to seperate all emotional bias when performing my pre-fight analysis. Something 99% of you are completely incapable of.

Archived