Fedor, Lesnar Make Businessweek Power 100 Athletes List

freedom

http://fightmarks.com/story.php?title=fedor-lesnar-make-businessweek-power-100-athletes-list

The power and influence of mixed martial arts continues to make inroads into the mainstream world at large. The next bit of evidence comes from Businessweek, who just recently released a ranking of the 100 Most Powerful Athletes in sports.

For the first time, two MMA fighters -- Strikeforce star Fedor Emelianenko and UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar -- made the list.

The magazine teamed up with sports and entertainment agency CSE to rank athletes both on and off the field, based on their success in their sporting arena combined with their appeal to advertisers, sponsors and fans.

I'm not suprised they're there.

But on another note I looked through that list and it is so, so wrong. I didn't know most of them, and most people outside of the USA would agree, it was full of basketballers and American footballers. The most powerful sport in the world is football (soccer) so the likes of Beckham, Messi, Ronaldo, Gerrard, Torres, Rooney should be in there. The top players from the top world sport should surely be there.

But on another note I looked through that list and it is so' date=' so wrong. I didn't know most of them, and most people outside of the USA would agree, it was full of basketballers and American footballers. The most powerful sport in the world is football (soccer) so the likes of Beckham, Messi, Ronaldo, Gerrard, Torres, Rooney should be in there. The top players from the top world sport should surely be there.[/quote']

Lol

You are so right and so going to be attacked by ethnocentric Americans who know nothing outside of their tiny little world :)

But on another note I looked through that list and it is so' date=' so wrong. I didn't know most of them, and most people outside of the USA would agree, it was full of basketballers and American footballers. The most powerful sport in the world is football (soccer) so the likes of Beckham, Messi, Ronaldo, Gerrard, Torres, Rooney should be in there. The top players from the top world sport should surely be there.[/quote']

But international Futbol, football, soccer, whatever, is the only major sport where the players are essentially property of the clubs they play for. This is how you see players from teams, playing on different teams in different leagues "on loan" from their home team.

The list is of "power" athletes, those who wield power not only regarding their career but endorsements, sponsorships, etc. While many Soccer stars are actually more widely known than the bigger stars of American sports, on the international scene at least, and some even pull huge paydays, fact is the players themselves carry very little weight and power in the sporting world itself. And soccer may be larger in scale, but pales in comparison in the financial world, other than Manchester U. which I believe has surpassed th Yankees as the most valuable sport franchise on the planet. But if Man. U. is the Yankees of pro soccer, all the rest of the clubs are the Mudville hens!

Lol

You are so right and so going to be attacked by ethnocentric Americans who know nothing outside of their tiny little world :)

And I am American, have never played football, and have a pretty firm grasp on many subjects far outside the realm of typical "ethnocentric" America, so your repeated shots at all things American regrettably continue to fall far short of reality.

Archived