Should Strikeforce have an "Ultimate Fighter" style reality series?

Ron_Burgundy

Bad idea. The UFC is having enough of a hard time themselves trying to find talent for TUF. SF doing the same thing would even further diminish the credibility of fighters coming off of the show.

Is the UFC really doing that great of a job of scouting though? There are a ton of talented collegiate wrestlers who could probably convert to MMA with the right training. Plus, how many alternates have we seen join the show that turned out not to be much different (talent-wise) from most of the other fighters on the show?

Although you could certainly be right about watering down talent, I think it would be a very good idea from a business standpoint. Only a couple fighters from each cast of TUF usually stick around for the long haul anyhow. Most of the others on the show are just cannon fodder.

Is the UFC really doing that great of a job of scouting though? There are a ton of talented collegiate wrestlers who could probably convert to MMA with the right training. Plus' date=' how many alternates have we seen join the show that turned out not to be much different (talent-wise) from most of the other fighters on the show?

Although you could certainly be right about watering down talent, I think it would be a very good idea from a business standpoint. All but a couple fighters from each cast usually stick around for the long haul anyhow. Most of the others are just cannon fodder.[/quote']

There are many more options these day for up and coming fighters to take over spending an agonizing 6 weeks in a house full of questionable guys you've never met before being coached by people who arent coaches.

Right now, Bellator is signing numerous promising prospects to contracts reported to be much more appealing than what UFC and SF are offering.

There are many more options these day for up and coming fighters to take over spending an agonizing 6 weeks in a house full of questionable guys you've never met before being coached by people who arent coaches.

There are huge benefits to being on the show though. The Ultimate Fighter alum have been well-marketed by that show. I wonder how that might be magnified on a network like CBS.

Right now' date=' Bellator is signing numerous promising prospects to contracts reported to be much more appealing than what UFC and SF are offering.[/quote']

Like who?

The writer of this story seems to have an axe to grind with the UFC. He talks about the decline in big name talent; WHAT?! Has he seen the cards for the next several events? To listen to the things he says, you would think the UFC is on the verge of going out of business. That guy is an idiot! With the recent influx of cash from the new Abu Dhabi parnership, plus the connections with them that just made it possible to finally ink a deal for the UFC in China, the UFC is getting ready to grow like crazy! And what's the the statement, "up and coming talent in fighters like Robbie Lawler, Gegard Mousasi"? UP & COMING? Lawler has been fighting for like 9 years. He USED to fight in the UFC & got the boot for losing 3 out of his last 4 fights with them. Mousasi has also fought for M1, Pride & Dream and has been around for a long time. This D-bag needs to get his facts straight.

Now that I finished my rant, I would definitely watch a show like that from Strikeforce. Any place I can see more fights, more training & anything about the sport, I'm there. I think they need to change the format or something so it's not a complete rip-off of TUF.

I believe the best way for Strikeforce to draw in and compete for younger talent is an Ultimate Fighter style reality series on CBS. It might also generate publicity for the league and fighters similar to what the Ultimate Fighter did for the UFC.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/328616-mixed-martial-arts-a-changing-landscape

Strikeforce is doing a show like TUF but for women. Coker has put together WCC series like TUF featuring 16 women in 2 weight classes 145lbs & 135lbs. Brandon Vera's wife and little sister are on the show along with Julie Kedzie and some others. Also Strikeforce took over where Elite XC started with the "Challengers series" that showcases hometown fighters wherever they go. Hell thats where Billy Evangelist made his come-up-ins, along with Shane Del Rosario and Lavar Johnson.

Strikeforce is doing a show like TUF but for women. Coker has put together WCC series like TUF featuring 16 women in 2 weight classes 145lbs & 135lbs. Brandon Vera's wife and little sister are on the show along with Julie Kedzie and some others. Also Strikeforce took over where Elite XC started with the "Challengers series" that showcases hometown fighters wherever they go. Hell thats where Billy Evangelist made his come-up-ins' date=' along with Shane Del Rosario and Lavar Johnson.[/quote']

When you say Veras wife and little sister are competing i take it they are 2 different people? Otherwise i want Jones to bash him up really good?:)

The writer of this story seems to have an axe to grind with the UFC. He talks about the decline in big name talent; WHAT?! Has he seen the cards for the next several events?

It is an objective opinion based on other recent UFC events. Who would praise the UFC's accomplishments and contributions first if they had an axe to grind?

To listen to the things he says' date=' you would think the UFC is on the verge of going out of business. That guy is an idiot! With the recent influx of cash from the new Abu Dhabi parnership, plus the connections with them that just made it possible to finally ink a deal for the UFC in China, the UFC is getting ready to grow like crazy! [/quote']

No, it was more a praise of Strikeforce's recent moves and an acknowledgment of some recent bad luck for the UFC. Who in the hell is privy to UFC's dealings in China? Is this something they have been very public about?

And what's the the statement, "up and coming talent in fighters like Robbie Lawler, Gegard Mousasi"? UP & COMING? Lawler has been fighting for like 9 years. He USED to fight in the UFC & got the boot for losing 3 out of his last 4 fights with them. Mousasi has also fought for M1, Pride & Dream and has been around for a long time. This D-bag needs to get his facts straight.

Up and coming from the standpoint of marketing. Lawler hasn't fought in the UFC for a very long time, so to the casual fan (Dana White's bread and butter) Lawler may not be as well known as some lesser UFC fighters coming out of the Ultimate Fighter. Lawler is "up and coming" from a marketing standpoint.

Now that I finished my rant, I would definitely watch a show like that from Strikeforce. Any place I can see more fights, more training & anything about the sport, I'm there. I think they need to change the format or something so it's not a complete rip-off of TUF.

I think the "tournament" format works.

I believe the best way for Strikeforce to draw in and compete for younger talent is an Ultimate Fighter style reality series on CBS. It might also generate publicity for the league and fighters similar to what the Ultimate Fighter did for the UFC.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/328616-mixed-martial-arts-a-changing-landscape

I believe this is a great idea, I do not think it should be the exact script the the UFC has, but nonetheless yes this would really boost their talent in the long run and help their ratings.

Archived