Gegard Mousasi Moving to Heavyweight

Jade7

Apparently Gegard Mousasi plans to move up to heavyweight next year: http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Gegard-Mousasi-moving-to-heavyweight-in-2011' date='-plans-on-six-to-eight-fights-in-2010.html

This will certainly have some interesting implications for the Strikeforce heavyweight division.[/quote']

He was just at 185 not too long ago. I guess he plans on using the Overeem "weight gain" system. Bad move.

He was just at 185 not too long ago. I guess he plans on using the Overeem "weight gain" system. Bad move.

Unlike Overeem' date=' he fights in the US, so he won't be able to do the same plan. He pretends to do the gain in over 2 years, so it should be fine.

... the surest & purest method of becoming a mma god is to k/o or tap emelianenko, the armenian assassin seeks eternal glory & this is the fast-track ...

Sasi is also under M-1 management and they both train with Red Devil team, so I highly doubt so. I see this as a move to retire Fedor in a couple of years and have another dominant HW.

Unlike Overeem' date=' he fights in the US, so he won't be able to do the same plan. He pretends to do the gain in over 2 years, so it should be fine.

[b']Sasi is also under M-1 management and they both train with Red Devil team, so I highly doubt so. I see this as a move to retire Fedor in a couple of years and have another dominant HW[/b].

This^^^ Doesn't Fedor compliment Mousasi's talent and ability in high regard? I would be willing to bet if Fedor is putting stock into him, that he's going to be pretty good. M-1 handoff incoming.

Sasi is also under M-1 management and they both train with Red Devil team, so I highly doubt so. I see this as a move to retire Fedor in a couple of years and have another dominant HW.[/quote']

... very true, I must highly respect this response, ... I just vehemently reject the notion that two accomplished mma fighters should avoid each other because they are good friends & on the same team, the sport is bigger than that & the fans are the ones who lose . Real men fight & shake hands afterwards .

SYNDROME :

shields/diaz

rodrigo/cigano

machida/silva

............................ there are a few more but I'm blankin' .. little help ?

... very true' date=' I must highly respect this response, ... I just vehemently reject the notion that two accomplished mma fighters should avoid each other because they are good friends & on the same team, the sport is bigger than that & the fans are the ones who lose . Real men fight & shake hands afterwards .

SYNDROME :

shields/diaz

rodrigo/cigano

machida/silva

............................ there are a few more but I'm blankin' .. little help ?[/quote']

I'm not sure Mousasi and Fedor will avoid each other though... from what I know, they don't train together, so just being under the same management shouldn't prevent them from fighting. I would imagine they would give Mousasi time to work up to a potential fight with Fedor though, so if they do fight it will probably be two or three years down the road.

I'm not sure Mousasi and Fedor will avoid each other though... from what I know' date=' they don't train together, so just being under the same management shouldn't prevent them from fighting. I would imagine they would give Mousasi time to work up to a potential fight with Fedor though, so if they do fight it will probably be two or three years down the road.[/quote']

I don't see Fedor fighting for 2-3 more years honestly. I see this as a passing of the torch set-up if you ask me.

... very true' date=' I must highly respect this response, ... I just vehemently reject the notion that two accomplished mma fighters should avoid each other because they are good friends & on the same team, the sport is bigger than that & the fans are the ones who lose . Real men fight & shake hands afterwards .

SYNDROME :

shields/diaz

rodrigo/cigano

machida/silva

............................ there are a few more but I'm blankin' .. little help ?[/quote']

I mostly agree with you. I think they shouldn't avoid each other, but, that being said, M-1 is on this, so I see this more as a move of M-1 than what Sasi really wants. He first left MW to start fighting at LHW. Now he is making a change to HW in the course of 2 years. This gives the time for Fedor to establish himself with the US audience and then retire. Then M-1 has another HW to market. Lets be honest, for some reason, the casual fans always like the big HW freakshow, so theres more money to be done at HW.

I'm not sure Mousasi and Fedor will avoid each other though... from what I know' date=' they don't train together, so just being under the same management shouldn't prevent them from fighting. I would imagine they would give Mousasi time to work up to a potential fight with Fedor though, so if they do fight it will probably be two or three years down the road.[/quote']

But M-1 is intelligent, and they don't wont neither Fedor or Sasi to loose cause they would loose marketability to some degree.

lol..as far as u know...fedor and mousasi do train together same camp, and he indicated many times he wouldnt fight fedor, he lost 2 fedor in a submission match actually and they have been buddies for ages... and here is the video of mousasi saying he wants no piece of fedor

and even if mousasi didnt train with fedor and was just managed by the same guys as fedor, they wouldnt fight, it would be a stupid business decision for the managment..but i like i said there buddies and fedor rules

I don't see Fedor fighting for 2-3 more years honestly. I see this as a passing of the torch set-up if you ask me.

You could well be right. I could see how it would give Fedor a chance to bow out gracefully into retirement- assuming Mousasi can be as successful at HW as he has been at LHW, which is still a big if.

lol..as far as u know...fedor and mousasi do train together same camp' date=' and he indicated many times he wouldnt fight fedor, he lost 2 fedor in a submission match actually and they have been buddies for ages... and here is the video of mousasi saying he wants no piece of fedor
and even if mousasi didnt train with fedor and was just managed by the same guys as fedor, they wouldnt fight, it would be a stupid business decision for the managment..but i like i said there buddies and fedor rules[/quote']

That loss was an exhibition match, it doesn't even count. Yeah, it was fun, but they weren't serious at all. The weight difference was big as well. But I do agree with the second part of it, its not smart buisness.

Tis a glitch in the Matrix for sure :D

I just keep seeing the same black cat over and over again :D

That loss was an exhibition match' date=' it doesn't even count. Yeah, it was fun, but they weren't serious at all. The weight difference was big as well. But I do agree with the second part of it, its not smart buisness.

I just keep seeing the same black cat over and over again :D[/quote']

it was still a match and he displayed better submission skills..lol

lol..as far as u know...fedor and mousasi do train together same camp' date=' and he indicated many times he wouldnt fight fedor, he lost 2 fedor in a submission match actually and they have been buddies for ages... and here is the video of mousasi saying he wants no piece of fedor
and even if mousasi didnt train with fedor and was just managed by the same guys as fedor, they wouldnt fight, it would be a stupid business decision for the managment..but i like i said there buddies and fedor rules[/quote']

Actually, Mousasi trains in the Netherlands and Fedor trains in Russia, so "lol" they don't train together, at least not on any kind of regular basis. As far as them being friends that's a different story, and maybe it would make them reluctant to fight each other. And the submission match he fought with Fedor was a friendly exhibition match, it had no bearing on pro MMA competition. Maybe they will fight and maybe they won't... time will tell and money talks.

lol..he fights out of holland, where he grew up, he is stationed with fedor and trains in the same camp done it for years...money talks..why would on earth make a fight between those 2..when they can make double the money both dudes fighting separetly, in fact he helped fedor get ready for brett rogers check it out on youtube..and mousasi doesnt have a camp on holland...he fights out of holland..he is signed with m1...and trains with fedor since that agreement...every single fight..wikipedia didnt serve u well....facts r facts...

it was still a match and he displayed better submission skills..lol

Yeah, keep believing this, lol, and just a question, lol, is it really necessary to finish every thing with a "lol", lol?

And like Jade already said, they do train at different places. For example, Sasi is currently training with GSP.

You could well be right. I could see how it would give Fedor a chance to bow out gracefully into retirement- assuming Mousasi can be as successful at HW as he has been at LHW' date=' which is still a big if.[/quote']

.... my train of thought has always been ultra-mercenary,

"you factually cannot be considered the best unless you beat the best" ... unfortunately

the almighty dollar rules eternal .

.... a bit off topic, if I were lesnar .. I would consider joining SF before emp retires ..

that is his path to true respectability .. & all doors would open win or lose ...

Actually' date=' Mousasi trains in the Netherlands and Fedor trains in Russia, so "lol" they don't train together, at least not on any kind of regular basis. As far as them being friends that's a different story, and maybe it would make them reluctant to fight each other. And the submission match he fought with Fedor was a friendly exhibition match, it had no bearing on pro MMA competition. Maybe they will fight and maybe they won't... time will tell and money talks.[/quote']

lol..he fights out of holland, where he grew up, he is stationed with fedor and trains in the same camp done it for years...money talks..why would on earth make a fight between those 2..when they can make double the money both dudes fighting separetly, in fact he helped fedor get ready for brett rogers check it out on youtube..and mousasi doesnt have a camp on holland...he fights out of holland..he is signed with m1...and trains with fedor since that agreement...every single fight..wikipedia didnt serve u well....facts r facts...

lol..he fights out of holland' date=' where he grew up, he is stationed with fedor and trains in the same camp done it for years...money talks..why would on earth make a fight between those 2..when they can make double the money both dudes fighting separetly, in fact he helped fedor get ready for brett rogers check it out on youtube..and mousasi doesnt have a camp on holland...he fights out of holland..he is signed with m1...and trains with fedor since that agreement...every single fight..wikipedia didnt serve u well....facts r facts...[/quote']

"Gegard Mousasi (born August 1, 1985) is a professional Armenian Dutch mixed martial artist and kickboxer. He is fighting out of Team Jurojin in Leiden, Netherlands and is a member of Red Devil Sports Club."

Thats from Sasi's official site. He also is CURRENTLY training with GSP. Not everywhere that Fedor goes Sasi follow, and the other way around as well. They don't train together all the time but they do help each other, so please get your facts right before insulting someone.

EDIT: Oh, and also, the double post wasn't necessary at all.

Gegard Mousasi (born August 1' date=' 1985) is a professional Armenian Dutch mixed martial artist and kickboxer. He is fighting out of Team Jurojin in Leiden, Netherlands and is a member of Red Devil Sports Club.[/i']

Thats from Sasi's official site. He also is CURRENTLY training with GSP. Not everywhere that Fedor goes Sasi follow, and the other way around as well. They don't train together all the time but they do help each other, so please get your facts right before insulting someone.

EDIT: Oh, an also, the double post wasn't necessary at all.

BAM .. Mtx w/ the mma wrecking ball .. +1

... & I have never seen Jade bash anyone' date=' classy lady & a top gun here ![/quote']

And you will never see her do so cause she is just that good :)

Back on topic, don't really like this decision. I hope I'm wrong, but I really can't see this working for him. I liked him a lot as a MW, he was skinny as hell but he could win any fight nonetheless. When he changed to LHW he gain some muscle weight and got stronger, so he was even better, he kept his speed but now has more strength. But a change to HW is totally going to change that. He will need to bulk up quite a bit, so he is probably going to loose some speed there. Also, a clean punch from several HW could flash KO probably (deja vu once again? :P)...his chin hasn't feel that kind of power yet.

And you will never see her do so cause she is just that good :)

Back on topic' date=' don't really like this decision. I hope I'm wrong, but I really can't see this working for him. I liked him a lot as a MW, he was skinny as hell but he could win any fight nonetheless. When he changed to LHW he gain some muscle weight and got stronger, so he was even better, he kept his speed but now has more strength. But a change to HW is totally going to change that. He will need to bulk up quite a bit, so he is probably going to loose some speed there. Also, a clean punch from several HW could flash KO probably (deja vu once again? :P)...his chin hasn't feel that kind of power yet.[/quote']

I don't like it either, maybe its his hype-machine just keeping his name in the headlines,

his resume at mw & lhw is a bit weak ...

goodrich (62 yrs old :P)

sokoudjou (gasser)

babalu, hunt, manhoef (all seen better days)

yoon & kang (no comment)

........................................... his ko upkick over jacare' was sweet

all in all I would speculate that he has some work at lhw ...

I don't like it either' date=' maybe its his hype-machine just keeping his name in the headlines,

his resume at mw & lhw is a bit weak ...

goodrich (62 yrs old :P)

sokoudjou (gasser)

babalu, hunt, manhoef (all seen better days)

yoon & kang (no comment)

........................................... his ko upkick over jacare' was sweet

all in all I would speculate that he has some work at lhw ...[/quote']

Yeah it definately seems to me that a move to HW is not a good decision for him. He was big for MW, average or undersized for LHW, and severely undersized at HW.

He would have a massive speed advantage at HW.

Most HWs move like frankenstein.

When you gain muscle mass, you most probably will loose speed, and thats probably whats going to happen to some extent. Also, do you really believe he has the chin to take any of those Frankenstein shots?

When you gain muscle mass' date=' you most probably will loose speed, and thats probably whats going to happen to some extent. Also, do you really believe he has the chin to take any of those Frankenstein shots?[/quote']

You can gain functional size while maintaining your speed guys. If you don't ask a high school gym coach to be your trainer there are plenty of ways to incorporate functional exercise to gain weight. Just saying...

You can gain functional size while maintaining your speed guys. If you don't ask a high school gym coach to be your trainer there are plenty of ways to incorporate functional exercise to gain weight. Just saying...

Thats why I don't speak in absolutes' date=' cause I might be wrong :D But my guess is that when you do gain that much muscle mass, your overall agility will be hampered and also you will gas a bit faster. But I may always be wrong.

Why not?

Everyone wants him to fight Hendo. Hendo has fought HWs.

Whats the difference?

I think that a single shot from a hard hitting HW will get him KOed. I really can't see him taking a clean shot in that division, there are too many hard hitters. And are you really comparing Hendo's power with Fedors, Roger, Arlovski? Cause, in my opinion, theres no way Hendo hit harder than them, maybe Arlovski, but not the other guys. And thats just speaking of Strikeforce HW division.

I can;t see anybody hitting him cleanly' date=' except Fedor.

Too fast.[/quote']

Anderson Silva could...Marquardt very likely could....Belfort would have a good shot...Jon Jones very likely could...

Soko did better than he should have against "the next big thing"

For me the jury is still out on Mousasi. Haven't seen him against enough top competition.

Cheers

-DR

Anderson Silva could...Marquardt very likely could....Belfort would have a good shot...Jon Jones very likely could...

Soko did better than he should have against "the next big thing"

For me the jury is still out on Mousasi. Haven't seen him against enough top competition.

Cheers

-DR

These are all good points, but we were talking about some big powerful HW hitting him.

You are not going out speed Mousasi at HW.

Sorry.

Hard enough to do it LHW.

These are all good points' date=' but we were talking about some big powerful HW hitting him.

You are not going out speed Mousasi at HW.

Sorry.

Hard enough to do it LHW.[/quote']

I see your point there. At HW he's definitely going to be at the top for speed. I think there's a handful of guys from a speed perspective that would be close enough to land...not faster mind you...but possible. I'd be up to see the fights, but right now I'd like to see him play around at 205 a bit more so we can get a better sense of how good he really is.

Cheers sir

-DR

I see your point there. At HW he's definitely going to be at the top for speed. I think there's a handful of guys from a speed perspective that would be close enough to land...not faster mind you...but possible. I'd be up to see the fights' date=' but right now I'd like to see him play around at 205 a bit more so we can get a better sense of how good he really is.

Cheers sir

-DR[/quote']

Ditto. To me this move up seems very premature and sounds like a bad career choice.

Archived