BJ Penn vs Eddie Alvarez

xJoeyKucklesx

You have no idea what you're talking about do you?

Get a clue bud.

Hmm' date=' lets see BJ has fought the likes of Machida, Renzo and Rodrigo Grace, Matt Hughes x2, GSP x2, Pulver, Sherk, Florian, Sanchez, Stevenson, Thomas.... not even gonna list them all. As well as being second only to Couture in holding belts in two different weight classes, has fought at every weight class and already has the most LW title defenses in UFC history.

Alvarez's most notable win was over Joachim Hansen and he needed a decision to do it. He then went on to fight nobodies and was subbed by Aoki, who I think Penn would also dispose of. Penn has some of the best boxing in the UFC as well as being one of the best grapplers in the world. When I say that Penn is hands down the best LW out there, I mean it. Quote someone who actually doesn't know what they're talking about next time.

And for the record, I said "almost certainly" because anyone can lose on any given day.

Otherwise Chonnen wouldn't have a win over Silva, and Serra wouldn't have beaten GSP.

the only person to stand a chance against BJ in LW is most likely Aoki.

Aoki wouldn't be able to get Penn to the ground. In fact, so far, there is only one person who was able to. Aoki has horrible standup, Penn would keep it on the feet and pick him apart. Even if Aoki managed to get it to the ground where he would be more comfortable, there is still no garauntee that he would be able to handle Penn's grappling. Aoki would have to pull gaurd, and if Penn gets the mount, it's all but over.

Yeah, Aoki would fair even worse then Alvarez, as he can't bang. He basically tries to grapple with people, but if he can't take them down easily he gets KO'ed. The person to take out Penn would need superior standup and great takedown defense.

I'll agree Alvarez has great standup, but he's smaller, and hasn't gone against the top UFC brass. Don't pay too much attention to Sherdog's rankings. People wander into the UFC, believing that they are the stuff, and then get KO'ed. It isn't like they are all coming from Pride, which had a rich talent pool.

I honestly think that Roger Huerta could beat Eddie Alvarez, and he's nowhere near BJ's level.

Get a clue bud.

Hmm' date=' lets see BJ has fought the likes of Machida, Renzo and Rodrigo Grace, Matt Hughes x2, GSP x2, Pulver, Sherk, Florian, Sanchez, Stevenson, Thomas.... not even gonna list them all. As well as being second only to Couture in holding belts in two different weight classes, has fought at every weight class and already has the most LW title defenses in UFC history.

Alvarez's most notable win was over Joachim Hansen and he needed a decision to do it. He then went on to fight nobodies and was subbed by Aoki, who I think Penn would also dispose of. Penn has some of the best boxing in the UFC as well as being one of the best grapplers in the world. When I say that Penn is hands down the best LW out there, I mean it. Quote someone who actually doesn't know what they're talking about next time.

And for the record, I said "almost certainly" because anyone can lose on any given day.

Otherwise Chonnen wouldn't have a win over Silva, and Serra wouldn't have beaten GSP.. [/quote']

Hey all that's super but not what I meant at all.

Kindly explain to me how BJ can be the P4P top LW

Hey all that's super but not what I meant at all.

Kindly explain to me how BJ can be the P4P top LW

When people use the expression P4P it's entirely of opinion. Just like the rankings you see on various websites, all are opinion. Until we have a unified ranking system in place, I can't prove that he is the best, but I can believe it based on his accomplishments. That's what makes opinions great, they can't be wrong. Just like the Fedor argument, no one will know for sure if he's the best P4P HW in the world until he fights in the UFC right? That may not ever happen, but until it does, I still maintain that he is the best HW in the world.

Now based on how you asked the question, I can only assume you disagree. Right?

If you honestly don't believe that BJ is the best 155er out there, I have two questions.

1. Are you high?

and

2. Who do you think is better than BJ in the 155lb division?

Well first yes BJ is the best 155 guy.

And no, pound for pound MEANS pound for pound. It's based on picking the better fighter due to their record and accomplishment WITHIN their weightclass. Fedor is called the P4P best because his record is something to the tune of 30-1-(1).

You can call BJ the P4P best, that's all cool. But don't say P4P in his weightclass, it's a damn oxymoron

Well first yes BJ is the best 155 guy.

And no' date=' pound for pound MEANS pound for pound. It's based on picking the better fighter due to their record and accomplishment WITHIN their weightclass. Fedor is called the P4P best because his record is something to the tune of 30-1-(1).

You can call BJ the P4P best, that's all cool. But don't say P4P in his weightclass, it's a damn oxymoron[/quote']

Records mean nothing. Just ask Randy Couture.

P4P was originally a way of questioning who would win in a fight where weight was not an issue. In other words, IF Fedor and BJ weighed the same, who would win?

That is where the term P4P came from. Which in fact, can't be proven, therefore it remains an opinion.

Records mean nothing. Just ask Randy Couture.

P4P was originally a way of questioning who would win in a fight where weight was not an issue. In other words' date=' IF Fedor and BJ weighed the same, who would win?

That is where the term P4P came from. Which in fact, can't be proven, therefore it remains an opinion.[/quote']

...You just proved my point. P4P means who is the better man when weight is not a factor. Then you called BJ the best P4P IN LW. With weight BEING an issue.

Also who the hell considers Randy a P4P best?

Someone posted a thread the other day about dream matches you would like to see & this is the exact match I picked. I would love to see Alvarez come to the UFC. I think that he stands a really good chance against BJ. He's definitely more of a threat than anyone I can think of in the UFC LW division. It's all speculation, but I would pay to see that fight.

...You just proved my point. P4P means who is the better man when weight is not a factor. Then you called BJ the best P4P IN LW. With weight BEING an issue.

Also who the hell considers Randy a P4P best?

My god man' date=' you're taking what I wrote out of context. I meant best P4P LW ever. NOT best P4P [i']IN[/i] LW. Maybe go re-read my post. And even if this minor technical error was made, is it really that big of a deal?! You question whether I know what I'm talking about based on the fact that I either stated something in the wrong way, or you read something wrong?! Ridiculous.

And as far as Randy goes, when you explained your meaning of P4P you mentioned records. So I brought up Randy who happens to be one of the best ever, and he doesn't exactly have the most stellar record. My point on that one being that records mean nothing. Anderson Silva has four losses on his record and is still in talks for P4P #1 status. That is why I brought up Randy. And no, in case you decide to jump all over me on this, I do not think that Randy is a P4P best right now, I was just using him as an example.

Penn would almost certainly maul any LW out there. Best LW on the planet.

There you go. Better?

I can't belive you started an argument with me just based on the fact that you thought I worded something incorrectly.

You agreed with what I said, but didn't like how I worded my post, so I fixed it just for you bud.

Archived