Why the UFC should Capitalize on PPV Pirates

mmanuts

There was a time before the Ultimate Fighter show successfully brought mixed martial arts into our living rooms, when the internet served as the only medium to keep up with the latest happenings with the sport. Since then a lot of progress has been made but even now, we still don?t see ESPN or regular news inserting fight results between NBA or NFL updates.

A recent article on MMA Junkie really struck a nerve with me. President of the UFC Dana White, when asked about pirated UFC Pay-Per-View streams, stated ?We?re gonna go after them, we?re gonna go after them hard, and we?re gonna hurt them?. Depending on where you sit, you may say this is a good thing or a bad thing. For me anyways it is a sign that the UFC is falling out of touch with their fans and making a mistake of epic proportions.

Let?s think back for a moment to a few years ago when the only way you could get your MMA news was to log on to favorite sites like Sherdog, MMAJunkie, and MMALinker. The only buzz the UFC made was with the underground crowd via word of mouth and internet social circles. Back then, the internet was still young, YouTube was nowhere in sight, and Ultimate Fighting was considered taboo by most standard measures of sport. Fast forward to the present, where mixed martial arts is sanctioned in all but a few states as a legitimate sport, Brock Lesnar is doing ESPN interviews, and the UFC is cracking the mainstream as the largest promotion with the fastest growing sport in the world. It?s easy to see why Dana White is trying so hard to protect the baby he re-built from the ashes of a dying business, but it would also serve him well to remember the outside the box thinking that got him to where he is today.

My proposal is simple, and should all but eliminate the urge to view a pirated broadcast by anyone....... http://mmanuts.com/?p=3

You can see the rest of the article here : http://mmanuts.com/?p=3

It's our first official one for the new MMA Video Podcast site and a topic we also discuss on next weeks first episode. Would love some feedback from you guys.

Thanks for checking it out.

it may help some, but just like illegal downloading of music/movies, there will always be streams. They can't catch all of them. There are people out there that don't won't to pay, and want a free show, and there is always someone to give it to them.

well, what is stealing really. When the word was created it meant taking physical things from someone else. Watching something online when i have no intention on paying for it is not really stealing cuz if i cant watch it....im still not gonna watch it on ppv. If its a good card like 110, i will watch it on ppv. If its a **** card like 107 was i ill probably watch it online, if not at all. So dana is not gonna make money or lose money if he cracks down on many of these streamers because if they had no intention on paying for it.....THEN THEY're NOT GONNA

War PIRATED PPV's!!! I agree with the above poster. If it's a lackluster card, I will watch it on the internet, Tapout shirt wearing, faux hawk wearing, bro saying ****nozzles have ruined going to bars for me. Usually by the end of the event I wanna kick most of their asses because the entire event they been drunk commentating and obviously have no actual fight experience yet feel the need to try and tell everyone around them the intriquisies of Brazilian Jui Jitsu. Very poorly, might I add. It's like sitting in a room full of loud, drunk, obnoxious Mike Goldberg's.

Archived