Gatekeepers at Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight

CarlLane

The term gatekeepers although not officially used has been thrown out a lot during the UFC's mediocre rise. So who is there at 205 and 265 to open the door for the best to walk through?

At 205.

Gatekeeper #1 Stephan Bonner. Beating him maybe gets you off the undercard.

Gatekeeper#2 Keith Jardine. Beating him puts you somewhere in the mix for top 10 LHW.

I went for Jardine & Gonzaga.

A win over one of these gets you noticed' date=' probably into top 10. A win for either of these does not advance them up the div.

Keeping the gate to the top 10 imo.[/quote']

I mostly agree but I don;t know that Gonzaga has been fully relegated to gatekeeper. A win over JDS would put him back in the hunt, I think Cro-Cop or Kongo are more the HW gatekeepers. They have lost to the top fighters more than once and even a win over an up and comer wouldn't move them up the ranking much.

LHW: Jardine

He's always known for facing Top 10 LHW's so usually if you beat him your in the Top 10 Mix.

HW: Kongo

Cain beat him and now all of a sudden hes the greatest thing ever. :eek:

Mir beat him and now he gets a title shot.

Buentello is facing him, hopefully he can get the W :D

I mostly agree but I don;t know that Gonzaga has been fully relegated to gatekeeper. A win over JDS would put him back in the hunt' date=' I think Cro-Cop or Kongo are more the HW gatekeepers. They have lost to the top fighters more than once and even a win over an up and comer wouldn't move them up the ranking much.[/quote']

That's settled, Kongo vs. Gonzaga for gatekeeper role! (loser gets gatekeeper status).

I went Gonzaga because he has had some solid fights against top 10 (including Cro-cop freak KO), where I think Kongo is on his way down, I could see him being dropped and fed to Fedor via strikeforce after the Mir performance.

Also, Gonzaga has more of a rounded game, so fighters needs a few tools to get past him, where I see Kongo could just be matched up badly with some people due to being a stand-up only fighter.

That's settled' date=' Kongo vs. Gonzaga for gatekeeper role! (loser gets gatekeeper status).

I went Gonzaga because he has had some solid fights against top 10 (including Cro-cop freak KO), where I think Kongo is on his way down, I could see him being dropped and fed to Fedor via strikeforce after the Mir performance.

Also, Gonzaga has more of a rounded game, so fighters needs a few tools to get past him, where I see Kongo could just be matched up badly with some people due to being a stand-up only fighter.[/quote']

I agree. If Gonzaga loses to JDS he gets Kongo for the role of gatekeeper. Joe Silva make it happen!

Archived