Boxing and MMA:Which is more scientific?

So_Amazing

Boxing will always be more technical as far as striking goes.

However I have recently become extremely intrested in BJJ and joints in general.

MMA is diverse true, But when you look at most of the stand up battles goin on its rather sloppy.So I break it down into

Boxing=more scientfic as far as striking goes

MMA-has BJJ which is beautiful if done by an experinced practinour(sp)

LOl are you ****ing kidding me!!! Jesus christ!!!! Boxing is more scientific? GET THE **** OUTTA HERE!!!! Are you kidding me? Boxing is nothing but punching thats it!!! In MMA you have to deal with kicks and knees as well as punches so shut the **** up with that crap!!! MMA is much more technical than boxing period!!! In MMA you have to deal with every aspect of fighting not just the hands so suck my **** and go watch boxing if you are too dumb to realize that MMA is way more scientific!!!!

LOl are you ****ing kidding me!!! Jesus christ!!!! Boxing is more scientific? GET THE **** OUTTA HERE!!!! Are you kidding me? Boxing is nothing but punching thats it!!! In MMA you have to deal with kicks and knees as well as punches so shut the **** up with that crap!!! MMA is much more technical than boxing period!!! In MMA you have to deal with every aspect of fighting not just the hands so suck my **** and go watch boxing if you are too dumb to realize that MMA is way more scientific!!!!

The sport may be more scientific, but the fans are apparently a bunch of sailors who just got into port if you take the post above as an example.

Please do us all a favor and keep your post count at 16. :)

While I agree that because of the need to study clinch tactics, takedowns, takedown defense, wrestling, BJJ, and striking that MMA is more technical. In a pure striking match most MMA practitioners would get wrecked due to sloppy techniques because of the focus required on takedown and the reliance on a ground game...

So while I agree with your post, your methods of expressing your opinion is only verifying what the media and nay-sayers believe about MMA and it's fans.

LMAO at this man blowing his load because he didn't agree with a post...you my good man fail.

I disagree that the striking is sloppy in MMA or I just don't understand what you mean by sloppy.

Stand up as far as boxing,is extremely sloppy in MMA Few fighters really look good and exicute the correct technique, Mauy Thai Kick boxing etc is a different story but Western boxing in MMA is sloppy for the most part.

Stand up as far as boxing' date='is extremely sloppy in MMA Few fighters really look good and exicute the correct technique, Mauy Thai Kick boxing etc is a different story but Western boxing in MMA is sloppy for the most part.[/quote']

Well it's hard to compare an MMA fighter to a boxer. In MMA, you have to be great in wrestling, jiu-jitsu, and boxing/muay thai. If you are a boxer, you're just a boxer, so you're naturally going to be better than the average MMA fighter.

Some MMA fighters are great boxers though. Like Chris Lytle, who was 13-1-1 as a boxer before he switched to MMA.

Dude, you have no idea what boxing is about. In order to debate in this thread you need to know both sports. Sure I think that MMA is more scientific, but boxing is still very scientific, it's not just "punching." You have to create angles, set up punches, use the ring, among other things.

But mma does the above and beyond...

Right now probably not but soon mma will become even more cause thing is right now for alot of the guys in mma only learn enough of an art like BJJ to use certain techniques or to create defense aganist other techniques. The arts are only skin deep, but when the core principles of the different martial arts are taken by mma fighters we'll be seeing a much, much technicality in mma fights. For now boxings more "scientific" wouldn't be for long though

I encourage any of the TUF generation of UFC fans that think boxing is just punching' date=' to go enter in your local golden gloves circuit, or even just a toughman competition. You will then realize that boxing is far more than walking forward and punching.[/quote']

Thank you! In 20 odd years of watching MMA ( and around 35 watching boxing), I have seen maybe 3 or 4 guys with genuinely good technical boxing. There is soooo much more to boxing than "just punching" and for anyone to think so is ludicrous.

If you want to compare the two, which is stupid to begin with as they actually have little in common, the average MMA fighter probably has about the same overall total ammount of techniques as a pure boxer does strictly in boxing.

Both sports require an insane ammount of concentration and study, and the best are the ones able to constantly think and adapt. There isn't an MMA fighter alive that wouldn't be taken to the woodshed by a competent boxer in terms of a straight up boxing match. Did you ever see Jens Pulver's foray into pro boxing? And he was one of the few guys with good technical boxing skills.

Because MMA guys have so much more on their plates, they get just the boxing basics, but in total, I wouldn't say either was "more technical" than the other.

Thank you! In 20 odd years of watching MMA ( and around 35 watching boxing)' date=' I have seen maybe 3 or 4 guys with genuinely good technical boxing. There is soooo much more to boxing than "just punching" and for anyone to think so is ludicrous.

If you want to compare the two, which is stupid to begin with as they actually have little in common, the average MMA fighter probably has about the same overall total ammount of techniques as a pure boxer does strictly in boxing.

Both sports require an insane ammount of concentration and study, and the best are the ones able to constantly think and adapt. There isn't an MMA fighter alive that wouldn't be taken to the woodshed by a competent boxer in terms of a straight up boxing match. Did you ever see Jens Pulver's foray into pro boxing? And he was one of the few guys with good technical boxing skills.

Because MMA guys have so much more on their plates, they get just the boxing basics, but in total, I wouldn't say either was "more technical" than the other.[/quote']

Could you imagine somone that could effectivly use angles work off of slips they way your supposed to and punch correctly yet combine that with took TD defense and clinch work?

dude would be a monster in the cage.

Could you imagine somone that could effectivly use angles work off of slips they way your supposed to and punch correctly yet combine that with took TD defense and clinch work?

dude would be a monster in the cage.

The only one close to working advanced boxing techniques is A. Silva, and we all see how he's doing... :P

Well it's hard to compare an MMA fighter to a boxer. In MMA' date=' you have to be great in wrestling, jiu-jitsu, and boxing/muay thai. If you are a boxer, you're just a boxer, so you're naturally going to be better than the average MMA fighter.

Some MMA fighters are great boxers though. Like Chris Lytle, who was 13-1-1 as a boxer before he switched to MMA.[/quote']

Chris Lytle's boxing sucked even at his prime. He was a club fighter at Indiana and fought at saloons against other club fighters in a state that isnt known to produce great boxers.

Here's his record by the way.

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=121346&cat=boxer

I love watching good boxers doing MMA. the traditional sport has just become stale to me since I discovered MMA.

Take Maynard vs Diaz as an example. In the 2nd round, and to a degree in the 1st too, Gray's boxing seemed perfect. He had the reach disadvantage, but his footwork surpassed that, and Diaz's face always seemed to be in the end of his punches. Awesome display of what MMA boxing is all about.

Archived