Penn: "I want to be the welterweight champion again"

freedom

http://fightmarks.com/story.php?title=penn-i-want-to-be-the-welterweight-champion-again

BJ Penn says he still harbours dreams of being the UFC welterweight champion again and wants to rematch Georges St. Pierre. But first he has to deal with Frankie Edgar at UFC 112 and he says he will not make the mistake of looking past that fight.

?I am happy at 155lbs right now and am looking forward to fighting Frankie. I have a tough opponent in front of me at UFC 112. I don?t think any champion can really ?clean out? a division because there are so many great fighters coming through all the time as soon as you beat one guy another one just as good is ready for his try,? he said.

?I think a champion just has to keep going through these guys, beating these guys and build a legacy. I am too experienced; I?ve been doing this for too long to underestimate anyone at this level.?

BJ can keep dreaming' date=' after the beating he received in his last attempt at welterweight it was clearly obvious that he isn't a legit contender and doesn't deserve another shot at GSP.[/quote']

Clearly. He won't beat any of the top ranked WW's. Too small. He has a very small frame.

His frame is small. The WW's are monsters walking around at 200-230 pounds. Bj will get crushed' date=' just like GSP did to him.[/quote']

I agree - someone like Anthony Johnson is so huge compared to BJ. But full disclosure - I am a BJ Penn ****, probably am the driver of his bandwagon so I have to believe that he could hang with the top 5 ww. ;)

if gsp moves up' date=' it could happen[/quote']

He could move up in weight, but he should have to earn a shot at the title like everyone else. Put him against Thiago Alves or Kos or Daley... He can't just barge in and say "I want GSP"... BRUTAL the way they run the rankings.

I agree - someone like Anthony Johnson is so huge compared to BJ. But full disclosure - I am a BJ Penn ****' date=' probably am the driver of his bandwagon so I have to believe that he could hang with the top 5 ww. ;)[/quote']

Penn has mad talent. Don't get me wrong. But the WW's are huge man.

GSP - now 200 pounds ripped.

AJ - Walks around 230 pounds.

Thiago Alves - 220 pounds

Fitch - 215 pounds

Kos - 200+ pounds.

Bj will get mauled.

His frame is small. The WW's are monsters walking around at 200-230 pounds. Bj will get crushed' date=' just like GSP did to him.[/quote']

Please, tell me which WW is walking around at 230 lbs, and than cutting to make 170 . . .

And you obviously have not seen BJ Penn fight Lyoto machida. . . I can't recall what weight class that was in but he did very well .. . I think BJ would easily compete with Alves.

He could move up in weight' date=' but he should have to earn a shot at the title like everyone else. Put him against Thiago Alves or Kos or Daley... He can't just barge in and say "I want GSP"... BRUTAL the way they run the rankings.[/quote']

Your right. Dana won't feed Bj to GSP again anyway. No way.

Please' date=' tell me which WW is walking around at 230 lbs, and than cutting to make 170 . . .

And you obviously have not seen BJ Penn fight Lyoto machida. . . I can't recall what weight class that was in but he did very well .. . I think BJ would easily compete with Alves.[/quote']

Officially that fight was at HW, I think Machida fought at 220+, and BJ fought at 190lbs.

I still maintain that BJ can hang with the top 5 ww if he puts on muscle mass. Whether this is possible or not is another thing.

I am pretty sure Anthony Johnson cuts from 215, Alves walks around 205-210, GSP at 200... BJ probably walks around at 170ish.

And I agree with most arguments about size/skill but at this level that diff between size and skill is very small. These are some of the best fighters at this weightclass.

In the WW div apart from GSP the only person who would give BJ problems is Alves (IMO). However Alves doesnt have the same wrestling skills as GSP so again this might be a toss up.

If BJ can figure out the size issue he is the number two guy at ww.

No' date=' but they are significantly bigger and do have talent. No way Bj would be able to stand with Alves.

Yes, GSP is more talented than BJ.[/quote']

we all know GSP is more talented

you keep using Alves and Alves only. why is this? are you saying that, other than GSP, Alves is the only guy he cant beat? cause that's what it seems like

BJ needs to stay at 155. That is his frame and he is the best at 155 as GSP at 170.

Fighters are always looking for super fights by going outside of their respected weight classes and it never works. Diego had a few good fights but is going back, Diaz had a few good fights and is going back.

Fighters should just stick with what they do and know best.

Officially that fight was at HW' date=' I think Machida fought at 220+, and BJ fought at 190lbs.

I still maintain that BJ can hang with the top 5 ww if he puts on muscle mass. Whether this is possible or not is another thing.

I am pretty sure Anthony Johnson cuts from 215, Alves walks around 205-210, GSP at 200... BJ probably walks around at 170ish.

And I agree with most arguments about size/skill but at this level that diff between size and skill is very small. These are some of the best fighters at this weightclass.

In the WW div apart from GSP the only person who would give BJ problems is Alves (IMO). However Alves doesnt have the same wrestling skills as GSP so again this might be a toss up.

If BJ can figure out the size issue he is the number two guy at ww.[/quote']

I agree with most of your points, but AJ cuts from 220+. Alves is like 220. I think your right that Alves would be the only WW other than GSP that would really give Bj lots of problems.

This being said, Bj is the best LW in the world! The guy is a bad **** at 155. See...I give credit.

Please' date=' tell me which WW is walking around at 230 lbs, and than cutting to make 170 . . .

And you obviously have not seen BJ Penn fight Lyoto machida. . . I can't recall what weight class that was in but he did very well .. . I think BJ would easily compete with Alves.[/quote']

it was an open weight bout

Machida fought at a weight of 102 kg (220 lb). Penn weighed in at 86.5 kg (191 lb). and he did pretty good, you guys just care about big bodies&conditioning *cough*lesnar's*cough*, I mean common look at the greatest fighter ever.... 5 11'' weighing ~235 .....

BJ is just a warrior since born

Im not a fan of BJ Penn but he could easily hang with the Top5 in the WW division.

Hardy? Run right through him

Rumble? Take it to the ground, RNC

Fitch? BJ would win same way GSP beat Fitch

Alves & GSP are the only problems.

To say BJ Penn cant hang in WW because the guys weigh more than him is dumb. He fought MW's & LHW's. He won most of the time.

i agree that Bj will never be WW champ again, but where are you guys getting these weights from? You guys pulling them out of your asses? cutting 60 lbs of weight would kill you, if not then severely affect your nervous system leading to lost of motor skills and movement until rehydrated. you could be looking at your hand trying to move your fingers and it wouldn't budge or it wouldnt' move til seconds later. obviously some of you guys never cut weight. 230 is how much some Lhw walk around at.

Alves is the 2nd biggest guy at WW and walks around at 200 lbs.(source joe rogan said he cut 30lbs to get to 170 at UFC 100) he had problems making weight b4, so he's not gonna pack more on. i was surprised that he made weight for his title shot.

GSp walks around at 190lbs. (source, he was reported to weigh about 186 during fight night w/ BJ) GSP said it himself that he doesn't like to drift too far away from 170lbs as its too unhealthy. (source Bj penn vid, mentioned GSP's weight managing)

AJ is the only one who i can see being over 200lbs, but not by much. Jon fitch and Kos are not bigger than GSP, prolly about 190 lbs also.

i agree that Bj will never be WW champ again' date=' but where are you guys getting these weights from? You guys pulling them out of your asses? cutting 60 lbs of weight would kill you, if not then severely affect your nervous system leading to lost of motor skills and movement until rehydrated. you could be looking at your hand trying to move your fingers and it wouldn't budge or it wouldnt' move til seconds later. obviously some of you guys never cut weight. 230 is how much some Lhw walk around at.

Alves is the 2nd biggest guy at WW and walks around at 200 lbs.(source joe rogan said he cut 30lbs to get to 170 at UFC 100)

GSp walks around at 190lbs. (source, he was reported to weigh about 186 during fight night w/ BJ) GSP said it himself that he doesn't like to drift too far away from 170lbs as its too unhealthy. (source Bj penn vid, talking about managing his weight/conditioning, mentioned GSP's weight managing)

AJ is the only one who i can see being over 200lbs, but not by much. Jon fitch and Kos are not bigger than GSP, prolly about 190 lbs also.[/quote']

Also Alves,Rumble,Fitch and GSP all weight round about LHW-MW before they cut.

Like i said they are in between LHW-MW before they cut. Don't know about Kos though.

Did no one else think that BJ got cheated in the GSP fight? The first round was pretty even and GSP was having a hard time taking BJ down. Then, after the first coat of vaseline and BJ couldn't hold any sort of high guard, GSP started to wear on him. BJ could be a serious contender at WW and i think with the Marinovich team watching his body he will be even better this time around.

I've got no problem with BJ at WW. Infact...I'd rather he go up....no one is touching him at 155. He should put on the weight CORRECTLY which he could do with his new strength and conditioning coaches...and then see what he can do at 170 today.

When he last fought GSP he wasnt a legit 170. He was a LW that didn't cut.

I'd like to see Penn fight Kos. IF he beats him...then Fitch or Alves...if he beats them he EARNS his shot at GSP. Last time it was handed to him...this time...he should have to earn it...but I don't think it's entirely out of the question for him to possibly get a legit title shot at WW.

Cheers

-DR

Like i said they are in between LHW-MW before they cut. Don't know about Kos though.

mainly towards Overrated, where everyone he mentioned he said they weigh between 200-230 lbs. altho, saying they weigh between LHW-MW confused me. i thought you meant they weigh as much as a LHW or MW.

Did no one else think that BJ got cheated in the GSP fight? The first round was pretty even and GSP was having a hard time taking BJ down. Then' date=' after the first coat of vaseline and BJ couldn't hold any sort of high guard, GSP started to wear on him. BJ could be a serious contender at WW and i think with the Marinovich team watching his body he will be even better this time around.[/quote']

Still on the excuse train huh. LOL ****** pathetic.

i agree that Bj will never be WW champ again' date=' but where are you guys getting these weights from? You guys pulling them out of your asses? cutting 60 lbs of weight would kill you, if not then severely affect your nervous system leading to lost of motor skills and movement until rehydrated. you could be looking at your hand trying to move your fingers and it wouldn't budge or it wouldnt' move til seconds later. obviously some of you guys never cut weight. 230 is how much some Lhw walk around at.

Alves is the 2nd biggest guy at WW and walks around at 200 lbs.(source joe rogan said he cut 30lbs to get to 170 at UFC 100) he had problems making weight b4, so he's not gonna pack more on. i was surprised that he made weight for his title shot.

GSp walks around at 190lbs. (source, he was reported to weigh about 186 during fight night w/ BJ) GSP said it himself that he doesn't like to drift too far away from 170lbs as its too unhealthy. (source Bj penn vid, mentioned GSP's weight managing)

AJ is the only one who i can see being over 200lbs, but not by much. Jon fitch and Kos are not bigger than GSP, prolly about 190 lbs also.[/quote']

Um No. Fact before the Kos fight AJ was 220. It was in a blog video done by himself.

Alves cut from 210 before the GSP fight. And was 208 in the octagon. Source, Joe rogan

Not sure where you have been, but GSP has gained more lean muscle. He is right around 200 ripped now. Look on any of his new videos.

Bj is all talk. He will not be the WW Champion. He will lose to any top 4 WW. Another shot with GSP will be the end of his career. Georges will destroy him again.

Bj really has turned out to be GSP's teenage stalker! Get over it Bj' date=' GSP has moved on.[/quote']

so you're saying he'd lose to Dan Hardy? he would do the same thing to hardy he did to Sanchez and just about any other WW except St-Pierre

I agree...I respect his skill but he hasn't been very successful moving up' date=' he's 1-4 in his attempts at higher weight classes.[/quote']

Slight correction (sorry I cant help it). BJ was 2-3 at welterweight...he beat Serra and Hughes (for the title) when Matt was at the top of his game. Lost to Hughes later and GSP twice. And I would hardly hold that Machida loss against him. Gotta respect the fact that he took that fight to begin with and even more so that he went to a decision with him. I dont think many WW or MW guys would step up to fight Lyoto, especially now.

For all those Penn doubters out there; Penn could hang with anyone at WW even GSP. I admit he WOULD lose to GSP but a rematch would not go the same way as last time. BJ is better than he was before and I would love to see him shake up that division, but he needs to hold off of that title shot talk. He should earn his way like everyone else.

Plus, could you imagine all the trash talk that would happen if he and Hardy fought. Those 2 guys just cant keep their mouths shut. Now thats a fight I want to see, after GSP destroys him first of course.

LOL. Not sure where to begin with all these statements.

GSP HIMSELF said he is NOT 200 lbs yet, ~193, said he will go to MW when he gets over 200 the right way by adding muscle.

For anybody here that think Penn can't hang with GSP isn't the brightest.Did you not see the fight where BJ was dominating him in the first round, outboxing him; and GSP couldn't take him down?Guess what happened BJ got tired, and then lost the fight.

The way BJ is re-dedicated and training now, that won't happen again.I think he is easily a top 5 WW right now.He has better striking and BJJ than ANY WW currently.If you think otherwise, please name a name.Yes, GSP is a better wrestler than BJ but not a better striker or BJJ...

LOL. Not sure where to begin with all these statements.

GSP HIMSELF said he is NOT 200 lbs yet' date=' ~193, said he will go to MW when he gets over 200 the right way by adding muscle.

For anybody here that think Penn can't hang with GSP isn't the brightest.Did you not see the fight where BJ was dominating him in the first round, outboxing him; and GSP couldn't take him down?Guess what happened BJ got tired, and then lost the fight.

The way BJ is re-dedicated and training now, that won't happen again.I think he is easily a top 5 WW right now.He has better striking and BJJ than ANY WW currently.If you think otherwise, please name a name.Yes, GSP is a better wrestler than BJ but not a better striker or BJJ...[/quote']

GSP is a better striker, and Bj did not outbox GSP in the first round their last fight. Bj did not even land 1 punch. Nothing. I will give the bjj to Bj, but thats it. Just wait and see IF they fight again.

You talk about Bj's new training...what about GSP's? He is training harder than ever.

GSP is a better striker' date=' and Bj did not outbox GSP in the first round their last fight. Bj did not even land 1 punch. Nothing. I will give the bjj to Bj, but thats it. Just wait and see IF they fight again.

You talk about Bj's new training...what about GSP's? He is training harder than ever.[/quote']

he didn't say their last fight. he's referring to their first fight. which, yes, bj did out box him. cause bj is a better boxer

[ATTACH]772[/ATTACH]

Archived