Edgar on BJ Penn: "I am a challenger who knows he can win"

freedom

http://fightmarks.com/story.php?title=edgar-on-bj-penn-i-am-a-challenger-who-knows-he-can-win

Frankie Edgar may have a loss to Gray Maynard on his record, but he does not feel at all bad at jumping ahead of him in the title contention race. In fact, Edgar says having UFC matchmaker Joe Silva on the phone offering him a crack at BJ Penn was ?a great call to get?.

?I knew that if Gray lost to Nate Diaz the other week, that I would get the title shot. So I was kinda pulling for him to lose, but really, it was more I was rooting for Nate to win because he?s my friend. I know Gray got the win, [but] I didn?t think it was a great showing,? he said.

It's all about confidence...Good for Edgar...it's a shame his confidence will be shot when BJ jabs him a few times.

Agreed. Every fighter needs to truly believe that they can and will beat their opponent. However, the reality is that BJ has better boxing than Frankie and BJ's takedown defense is absolutely freakish. So I don't know how Frankie can win this fight. I personally like Edgar (his fight with tyson griffin is a favourite of mine) but BJ FTW!

Yeah this is just a bad match up for Edgar. Edgar is a great wrestler with some solid boxing and competent submissions. But, like most people in the division, Penn is vastly superior at all aspects.

Edgar's wrestling will be nullified by Penn's phenomenal takedown defense and even if Edgar does score a takedown I do not think he is big enough to hold Penn down. To me, there is no possibility of him being able to "GSP" Penn.

Edgar's boxing is crisp, but Penn's is crisper and more powerful.

As far as jiu-jitsu goes it is kind of redundant to say that Penn is better than him because unless Maia plans on dropping down to 155 Penn will be better than everyone at this aspect of MMA.

At this point all I can hope for is a fun, competitive fight. The fact that about one minute into the Penn/Sanchez fight we all realized just how good Penn was makes me believe that won't happen. But here's to hope!

The "matt serra" phenomenon will not occur in this case.

Edgar hasn't shown he has NEAR the fire power to dent the kind of chin that BJ has. I don't know of a LW that does frankly. BJ has yet to be rocked much less KO'd. And Edgar isn't the guy who is going to do it.

Edgar is a good guy, I have no issues with him whatsoever...BUT...he's not touching BJ...nor is Maynard...or any other LW in the sport.

I'd like to see Penn fight Aoki, Alvarez and that loud mouth Melendez but not because I think those guys have a shot...it's just cool to close out all the doubters that don't understand the level BJ is at in the 155 division.

But other than those guys..I have ZERO desire to see Penn fight Edgar or Maynard or anyone else currently in the UFC.

I want Penn to go to 170 unless the UFC brings the people I mentioned earlier into the fold.

Cheers

-DR

Edgar can prove himself as a legit contender, there's always like they say a lucky punchers chance...

But then again, BJs never been knocked out - he's got an iron chin.

I seriously doubt though that Edgar will pose a threat to BJ, but I still hope that the bout will last atleast 3 or 4 rounds of "BJ smashing Edgar to intimidate all other LWs to never challenge his supremacy"..

If now this bout would take a turn for the unexpected, lets say Edgar wins..

I would say BJ would get a titleshot rematch before Edgar gets to comfortable with the belt.

I don't see BJ moving up to WW if he doesn't hold the LW belt at the same time, he wants to go down

as one of the great ones and in my opinion he already is.

Sum summarum;

I hope for a good bout, BJ's last bouts defending the belt has been bloody.. I hope that this bout will leave some blood on the canvas aswell ;)

Bj never rocks nobody in 30 secs and never will

What??? Did you see this last fight? Have you ever seen him fight?

I suppose Caol Uno just decided he need to just take a quick nap of his own free will...whats that?...huh? 11 SECONDS AFTER THE FIGHT STARTED

Seriously dude..Penn is legit as hell...so unless you are just trying to troll..you obviously have no problem stating opinions on subjects of which you know absolutely nothing.

Cheers

-DR

What??? Did you see this last fight? Have you ever seen him fight?

I suppose Caol Uno just decided he need to just take a quick nap of his own free will...whats that?...huh? 11 SECONDS AFTER THE FIGHT STARTED

Seriously dude..Penn is legit as hell...so unless you are just trying to troll..you obviously have no problem stating opinions on subjects of which you know absolutely nothing.

Cheers

-DR

i have watched Penns careers since on da begin but however we maybe can have two visions about the term "rocket" 1.hitting huge blow without doing any damage and peeps thinks guy is out 2.Guy gets hit by huge hit and opponent barrely can stay up because dizzyness hits (and thats my type of rocking)

i have watched Penns careers since on da begin but however we maybe can have two visions about the term "rocket" 1.hitting huge blow without doing any damage and peeps thinks guy is out 2.Guy gets hit by huge hit and opponent barrely can stay up because dizzyness hits (and thats my type of rocking)

Ok well he more than rocked Uno in 11 seconds.

And he dropped Sanchez in short order.

Cheers

-DR

Archived