Got any helpful tips?

Gamer_Ely

For the mma enthusiast who is poor in pocket? I do have an mma gym in my city, but can afford the classes not. Unless I alter my appearance after every class to keep getting the free session. I've looked into buying a book or two, but they are like 40 bucks a pop it seemed haha. If you have any training tips or anything like that that would be great! I plan to most likely never step into some sort of actual competition so this is more of a hobby to bring me closer to my other hobby *mma*. And I'd also enjoy the increase of strength and overall better health. But yeah, if anybody has any handy tips or anything to help improve cardio, strength, reflexes, and so on and so forth. Thought it'd be good if we all shared and helped each other out, I think I hear my upstairs neighbors having sex.... thought you'd like to know.

Sucks that you can't afford the classes because technique is so important that you really need good instruction to learn properly. Books and videos cant correct you when you think you're doing something right but aren't. You also need to spar and practice with others to truly learn effective technique.

With the economy being so shxtty businesses are really hurting, maybe you can go in, explain your situation and they'll find away to accommodate you. If not you can always take a cheaper martial arts class at the Y or at a community center...it wont be as good or exactly what you want to learn but until you can afford a decent mma school it's better than not training at all.

Eat well, run, push ups, sit ups, crunches, squats, etc. General workouts like that work just fine. A push up is the equivelant of a bench press. When you eat make sure you have a good breakfast if you have time to make yourself eggs and the such, not cereal. No pancakes or batter stuff. A goody hearty breakfast really is the most important meal, so if you have time in the morning I suggest you do so. When you eat lunch and dinner try to have around 30% of your plate be protein (fish, meat) and 70% starches(pasta, potatoes, rice) The carbohydrates in the starches serve as a sort of tranporter that takes the protein and stores it in your muscles. Eating right is one of the most important things. Self exercise is the next. Running, stretching, and push ups, sit ups etc. will increase your stamina and strength as well. If you want to you can even buy a home weight set. As for finding a gym, Bonobo is right. Most gyms (around here anyways) will settle with you on a reasonable amout for you to pay a month. Learning is always easier when you have an instructor, not a book, but if it comes down to it just make sure you're doinng the techniques correctly before practicing them frequently.

Eat well' date=' run, push ups, sit ups, crunches, squats, etc. General workouts like that work just fine. A push up is the equivelant of a bench press. When you eat make sure you have a good breakfast if you have time to make yourself eggs and the such, not cereal. No pancakes or batter stuff. A goody hearty breakfast really is the most important meal, so if you have time in the morning I suggest you do so. When you eat lunch and dinner try to have around 30% of your plate be protein (fish, meat) and 70% starches(pasta, potatoes, rice) The carbohydrates in the starches serve as a sort of tranporter that takes the protein and stores it in your muscles. Eating right is one of the most important things. Self exercise is the next. Running, stretching, and push ups, sit ups etc. will increase your stamina and strength as well. If you want to you can even buy a home weight set. As for finding a gym, Bonobo is right. Most gyms (around here anyways) will settle with you on a reasonable amout for you to pay a month. Learning is always easier when you have an instructor, not a book, but if it comes down to it just make sure you're doinng the techniques correctly before practicing them frequently.[/quote']

Very helpful and very well written.

Eat well' date=' run, push ups, sit ups, crunches, squats, etc. General workouts like that work just fine. A push up is the equivelant of a bench press. When you eat make sure you have a good breakfast if you have time to make yourself eggs and the such, not cereal. No pancakes or batter stuff. A goody hearty breakfast really is the most important meal, so if you have time in the morning I suggest you do so. When you eat lunch and dinner try to have around 30% of your plate be protein (fish, meat) and 70% starches(pasta, potatoes, rice) The carbohydrates in the starches serve as a sort of tranporter that takes the protein and stores it in your muscles. Eating right is one of the most important things. Self exercise is the next. Running, stretching, and push ups, sit ups etc. will increase your stamina and strength as well. If you want to you can even buy a home weight set. As for finding a gym, Bonobo is right. Most gyms (around here anyways) will settle with you on a reasonable amout for you to pay a month. Learning is always easier when you have an instructor, not a book, but if it comes down to it just make sure you're doinng the techniques correctly before practicing them frequently.[/quote']

the food tip is great thanks, that's one thing I have absolutely zero knowledge on haha, nutrition has always been my achilles heel. I forgot to mention that the gym at my school offers a lot of fitness classes for free that are like, cardio, strength/conditioning, and agility classes, you know, all sorts of things. I think if I can find a good balance I could do a different class everyday. In FACT, they just started a new class that I wasn't aware of, one that teaches martial arts, it really didn't say anything specific but it mentioned mma in there. While it may very well be not the best kind of training a person could get, it's free, it's there, and it's better than not knowing anything at all right right right?

For the mma enthusiast who is poor in pocket? I do have an mma gym in my city' date=' but can afford the classes not. Unless I alter my appearance after every class to keep getting the free session. I've looked into buying a book or two, but they are like 40 bucks a pop it seemed haha. If you have any training tips or anything like that that would be great! I plan to most likely never step into some sort of actual competition so this is more of a hobby to bring me closer to my other hobby *mma*. And I'd also enjoy the increase of strength and overall better health. But yeah, if anybody has any handy tips or anything to help improve cardio, strength, reflexes, and so on and so forth. Thought it'd be good if we all shared and helped each other out, I think I hear my upstairs neighbors having sex.... thought you'd like to know.[/quote']

Go into the Army for 3 years you get fed well and there is a decent training program I hear...:)

Archived