Renzo Gracie tells Hughes: "UFC Abu Dhabi is my house"

freedom

http://fightmarks.com/story.php?title=renzo-gracie-tells-hughes-ufc-abu-dhabi-is-my-house

Renzo Gracie spoke at the UFC 112 press conference in Abu Dhabi today to express his pleasure at being signed to fight for the company his ?family helped create? and in a country he considers ?my second home?.

?The UFC is the ultimate. This is where it counts. My family helped create the UFC so I always wanted to fight here. It was important that I fight in the UFC in my career,? the Brazilian legend said. ?I?ve wanted to fight in the UFC for a long, long time. But over the last few years I needed to clear up my life ? my business ? before I could concentrate 100% on training for UFC.

?You need to be a full-time, 100% of the time, athlete to fight in the UFC but my businesses needed my attention until recently. There was a time when I was training people six and seven days a week, with classes all day, plus being a husband and a father and I could not train myself to where I needed to be to fight in the UFC.?

... and Royce said the UFC was his house before he fought Hughes' date=' and then he got smashed.[/quote']

Precisely..I was going to say the same thing. Did Renzo not learn anything from Royce. Maybe it's just bad luck to declare a "house" or something in MMA. *chuckle*

May be should have said.."UFC Abu Dhabi is a place I like to frequent."

Cheers

-DR

Hughes will just end up submitting another Gracie-member..

I don't like Hughes but that would be nice. The Gracies bother me a bit too...a little too entitled as if they are the best..the alpha and omega.

It's like look...thank you for BJJ..it's an incredible art and we appreciate it...BUT as we've seen its not like you guys are unbeatable even in strictly BJJ. It's just that during the first UFC no one knew about ground fighting so you had a serious advantage. Everyone else though a fight was two guys on the feet slugging. But the Gracies proved that isn't so. Awesome. But now that EVERYONE knows BJJ...it's not some uber secret to success anymore...it's just one more tool. Because if a guy is even decent at BJJ and he avoids your submissions...you are going to have to deal with his fists.

Like Hughes showed against Royce.

Cheers

-DR

I don't like Hughes but that would be nice. The Gracies bother me a bit too...a little too entitled as if they are the best..the alpha and omega.

Like Hughes showed against Royce.

-DR

Yeah, just like Matt Hughes expressed himself after the bout against Royce.

"Royce later on after the bout said that it was Gracie-JJ that finished the fight"

I just really can't stand them, they are not the royal family of the UFC.. Perhaps a decade ago you'd might say that - but they've been dethroned and exiled.

Prediction:

Hughes ends the bout by fists to the face, big hughes takedown 101 "a la frank trigg 2" and ends up getting the rear naked choke in round 2.

Yeah' date=' just like Matt Hughes expressed himself after the bout against Royce.

"Royce later on after the bout said that it was Gracie-JJ that finished the fight"

I just really can't stand them, they are not the royal family of the UFC.. Perhaps a decade ago you'd might say that - but they've been dethroned and exiled.

Prediction:

Hughes ends the bout by fists to the face, big hughes takedown 101 "a la frank trigg 2" and ends up getting the rear naked choke in round 2.[/quote']

Yeah dude it's like this.

In the beginning....

before everyone knew about ground fighting and BJJ.

It was like one guy had a baseball bat and everyone else had bare hands. Then...everyone learned of this bat. So they got one themselves.

Now EVERYONE has a bat...and now we know..that that first dude..that had the bat...wasn't even the best at using the bat.

Cheers

-DR

Yeah dude it's like this.

In the beginning....

before everyone knew about ground fighting and BJJ.

It was like one guy had a baseball bat and everyone else had bare hands. Then...everyone learned of this bat. So they got one themselves.

Now EVERYONE has a bat...and now we know..that that first dude..that had the bat...wasn't even the best at using the bat.

Cheers

-DR

Nice analogy

And a recent UFC article said that a win for either of them would put them right in the title hunt... maybe Hughes, but I don't think he could hang with people like alves and kos, he's just not well rounded enough.

Prediction for this fight, Hughes, TKO, Round 2, 3rd minute

Yeah' date=' just like Matt Hughes expressed himself after the bout against Royce.

Prediction:

Hughes ends the bout by fists to the face, big hughes takedown 101 "a la frank trigg 2" and ends up getting the rear naked choke in round 2.[/quote']

Arm bar is Basic Jui Jitsu 101, well before Jui Jitsu even reached Brazil.. But according to the Gracies they invented all the good parts of Jui Jitsu. They should go fight some of the Asian Jiu Jitsu practitioners. In fact I don't think they have been exceptionally successful there. Gracie, Gracie, Gracie!!! (Gracie gets beat) *Silence for 3 or 4 years* Gracie Gracie Gracie!! (Gracie gets beat) *Silence for 3 or 4 years*.

I never took BJJ back in the day, there was no where to learn, but I took 8 years of Jui Jitsu before everyone started calling it Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I have taken BJJ off and on, and really haven't learned anything I didn't already know except some minor differences in transitions. Standard Jiu Jitsu seems to have a Judo based transitioning, and BJJ seems very wrestling based in transition. The differences are negligable at best.

I'm kind of hoping to see another Gracie get put in their place. After seeing Royce break peoples arms well after they started tapping, even though it wasn't needed to win, and his pompous expression afterward, it's a pleasure seeing him get roughed up. They aren't exactly great sportsmen. Hopefully Renzo will get a hughes wrestling clinic with some hard punches to the face to accentuate the point.

How can you even use a Prime Hughes against a 40+ old Royce as ammo for a point?

Exactly, had they fought when they were both 23-25, Royce would have broken Matt's arm. But what if's don't really matter do they? The win over Royce looked good on Matt's resume but really didn't mean much, other than Royce shouldn't have been fighting in the first place.

Renzo is a far more celebrated and complete MMA fighter than any other Gracie since Rickson and Carlson. By most he is considered the best of the 2nd generation of Gracies.

Renzo FTW via choke in rd1

And how any Matt Hughes fan can attack any other person alive for being arrogant, or having self importance issues, is pretty damn funny! Have you NEVER seen a Matt Hughes interview?

Exactly' date=' had they fought when they were both 23-25, Royce would have broken Matt's arm. But what if's don't really matter do they? The win over Royce looked good on Matt's resume but really didn't mean much, other than Royce shouldn't have been fighting in the first place.

Renzo is a far more celebrated and complete MMA fighter than any other Gracie since Rickson and Carlson. By most he is considered the best of the 2nd generation of Gracies.

Renzo FTW via choke in rd1

And how any Matt Hughes fan can attack any other person alive for being arrogant, or having self importance issues, is pretty damn funny! Have you NEVER seen a Matt Hughes interview?[/quote']

Or watched him on TUF when he was a coach. It's amazing Hughes hasn't hired someone to carry a mirror around standing in front of him to keep his narcissism at bay.

Archived