Dana afraid that GSP would lose

Vaseline

His excuse was "I think Silva would just be too big for him (GSP)"

By saying that its obvious that Dana knows GSP would lose. Silva has never used his size to his advantage, and I dont see him doing so with GSP. GSP on the other hand cannot wrestle against someone bigger, and seriously, the only way GSP could beat Silva would be to take him down and hold him down for the 5 rounds, which would be very difficult against someone Silva's size (and skill).

Silva being bigger than GSP will make no difference to how he will fight the fight, standing. Dana, and everyone else, knows that if GSP was to stand with Silva, he wouldnt be standing for very long.

So for anyone who can possibly think that GSP will beat Silva, you are very very wrong. Like all fighters, everyone stands a chance against his opponent, but in this case, that chance is very small.

I can't agree with this... Technique rules over size and strength, for example 2000 USA Olympic coach Sergei Beloglazov is a 125lb (9x world champion, 3x gold metalist) and he has been known to not only defeat but punish world class grapplers from all weight classes, yes including heavy weights (I've seen this first hand, my buddy Quincey wrestled in the Olympics @ 85kilos which is about 196lbs he has a background in freestyle, greco, jui jitsu (blackbelt), judo, and samba and he still got beat up by this 125 pounder)... I think GSP has excellent timing and is much faster than Silva so without question his wrestling will still work, but I do agree if it was to stay as a standing battle Silva would probably win. Though GSP being a great strategist that he is would find those takedowns... This fight could go either way either GSP by summission or Silva by knock out but I highly doubt it would reach 5 rounds or even 3 for that matter.

By saying that its obvious that Dana knows GSP would lose. Silva has never used his size to his advantage' date=' and I dont see him doing so with GSP. GSP on the other hand cannot wrestle against someone bigger, and seriously, the only way GSP could beat Silva would be to take him down and hold him down for the 5 rounds, which would be very difficult against someone Silva's size (and skill).

Silva being bigger than GSP will make no difference to how he will fight the fight, standing. Dana, and everyone else, knows that if GSP was to stand with Silva, he wouldnt be standing for very long.

So for anyone who can possibly think that GSP will beat Silva, you are very very wrong. Like all fighters, everyone stands a chance against his opponent, but in this case, that chance is very small.[/quote']

.....like my *****

Difficult one to call. I don?t agree with vaseline (what a name) that silva doesn't use his size as a advabtage. Silva always fight tall. He uses his long reach and a lot of jabs and frontkicks to keep a distance between him and his opponent. On the ground he uses his long limbs to bodylock. On the other hand, GSP is much more explosive and probably more powerfull. If GSP can take Silva to the ground, he'll probably would win the fight. You saw in the travis luther fight that when silva is on the ground, he's not the best in getting up (he can only submit you from his guard, but GSP is to good to get submitted).

But then again, Silva always fights like he is in a matrix movie. The guy fights so precize/accurate, it's like he's from an other planet. And that skill will probably win him the fight against GSP.

By saying that its obvious that Dana knows GSP would lose. Silva has never used his size to his advantage' date=' and I dont see him doing so with GSP. GSP on the other hand cannot wrestle against someone bigger, and seriously, the only way GSP could beat Silva would be to take him down and hold him down for the 5 rounds, which would be very difficult against someone Silva's size (and skill).

So for anyone who can possibly think that GSP will beat Silva, you are very very wrong. Like all fighters, everyone stands a chance against his opponent, but in this case, that chance is very small.[/quote']

Yeahhhhhh Silva has never used his size to his advantage......

I can't agree with this... Technique rules over size and strength' date=' for example 2000 USA Olympic coach Sergei Beloglazov is a 125lb (9x world champion, 3x gold metalist) and he has been known to not only defeat but punish world class grapplers from all weight classes, yes including heavy weights (I've seen this first hand, my buddy Quincey wrestled in the Olympics @ 85kilos which is about 196lbs he has a background in freestyle, greco, jui jitsu (blackbelt), judo, and samba and he still got beat up by this 125 pounder)... I think GSP has excellent timing and is much faster than Silva so without question his wrestling will still work, but I do agree if it was to stay as a standing battle Silva would probably win. Though GSP being a great strategist that he is would find those takedowns... This fight could go either way either GSP by summission or Silva by knock out but I highly doubt it would reach 5 rounds or even 3 for that matter.[/quote']

This is true. Size isnt everything unlike most of people think. I have seen smaller man beat bigger a lot of the times in training. Its not like that 15 pounds really make such a difference. People are too obsessed with weight classes.

Actually 15 lbs.would make quite a difference. However enough skill can overcome the weight advantage' date=' but weight certainly does help.[/quote']

No it wouldnt. I would bet you anything that Gsp could take down most of the LHW too. And bealive it or not strenght cant be measured just in weight. I know for a fact that some smallar guys are stronger than some bigger guys and Gsp is definitly one of the strongest guys out there.

fail2.jpg

Double fail my friend. Search button - know it' date=' use it, love it. There was a thread about this very match up literally put up like 24 hours ago. Not to mention the other dozen threads on the subject. AGAIN St. Pierre JUST fought the heaviest WW in the division and handled him for five rounds. Thiago is also arguably the best striker in the division with much better take down defense than Anderson. Alves stuffed Kos and Hughes's take downs all night and they're #2 and #3 in the division in wrestling and GSP took him down at will [b']while Anderson was put on his back fairly easily by Hendo and Lutter. [/b]

Agreed Silva is on another level standing but people don't give GSP enough credit there either. I have huge respect for the stand up BJ, Alves, and Fitch and GSP out striked all of them on the feet.

Although you are very accurate. He let Lutter take him down.

Although you are very accurate. He let Lutter take him down.

How can you say he let him take him down. Lutter is an expert in Jui Jit su and no matter who you are if your on your back against a man like that your in a bad position. He was taken down more than once too. He was mounted and lutter went for a lazy armbar and missed. If he had been more careful he would have won.

GSP was the strongest guy in his highschool at 13. Everybody says how strong this guy is even the LHW he trains with. Even if you matched them up before GSP had the time to put on muscle like he has been doing he would have the strength advantage over most of the MW division. But he doesn't want just a strength advantage he wants to dominate. When he does move to MW it will be bad news for the rest of the contenders.

Oh and don't forget that Lutter came in out of shape and overweight. He was 2lbs over at the weigh ins, they gave him an extra 2 hours to lose the weight and after 2 hours in the sauna he was still 2 lbs over. This means he was extremely dehydrated and lost time in the recovery process. He was visibly gassed. If he came into the fight in shape like GSP what do you think would have happened.

How can you say he let him take him down. Lutter is an expert in Jui Jit su and no matter who you are if your on your back against a man like that your in a bad position. He was taken down more than once too. He was mounted and lutter went for a lazy armbar and missed. If he had been more careful he would have won.

GSP was the strongest guy in his highschool at 13. Everybody says how strong this guy is even the LHW he trains with. Even if you matched them up before GSP had the time to put on muscle like he has been doing he would have the strength advantage over most of the MW division. But he doesn't want just a strength advantage he wants to dominate. When he does move to MW it will be bad news for the rest of the contenders.

Anderson Silva allowed Travis Lutter to take him down in their fight at UFC 67 so that he could beat him on the ground to avenge Jose "Pele" Landi-Jons, Anderson's training partner who lost to Lutter via armbar.

Anderson Silva allowed Travis Lutter to take him down in their fight at UFC 67 so that he could beat him on the ground to avenge Jose "Pele" Landi-Jons' date=' Anderson's training partner who lost to Lutter via armbar.[/quote']

I don't know sounds like a lame excuse to me. Either way he was losing the ground battle until Travis went for that arm bar.

GSP was able to stand and bang with BJ.

GSP got some pretty good hands too so I wouldn't be surprised if they stand and box it out. GSP got some good hands but he don't show it anymore. Either way if they do fight A. Silva will win with a decision.

GSP has extremely technical stand-up. Rich Franklin also is very technical and IMO was winning the boxing in their first fight. Anderson went away from it and went to the clinch where he destroyed Rich. You could see Anderson got frustrated before he decided to go to the clinch. After that Rich was so hurt his stand-up suffered.

I think using technical striking GSP could avoid damage and set-up his incredible takedowns leading to a GNP victory.

Anderson would definatley win the stand up battle' date=' as for the ground game, he got taken down by henderson and luter but submitted them both. Henderson is bigger and better wrestler than GSP, Anderson may have lost the first round but he finished the fight.[/quote']

People keep saying that Hendo is a better wrestler but I think he's a lot slower than GSP. He might be stronger although I doubt it. Nobody, I repeat Nobody mixes striking with wrestling to be able to take people down with ease like GSP does. His athletic ability and hard work has produced a force in the octagon.

i think it's completely stupid that the UFC would have him fight silva first... for the title. let George work through some other middleweights and earn his shot at silva or whomever the future title holder may be at the time. Makes the most sense to me. especially when so many people ***** about fighters getting title shots before they "deserve" it. Just an opinion.

Just because Silva owned Forrest dosen't mean hes going to own everyone like that. Also hes got a fight coming up against Belfort and i see him winning it but it will most certainly be a lot tougher than his fight with Forrest. GSP will never get beat up by anyone. Its either a close fight or GSP dominates you.

People keep saying that Hendo is a better wrestler but I think he's a lot slower than GSP. He might be stronger although I doubt it. Nobody' date=' I repeat Nobody mixes striking with wrestling to be able to take people down with ease like GSP does. His athletic ability and hard work has produced a force in the octagon.[/quote']

You keep saying GSP is better wrestler than Hendo, I don't think so. Like I've said many times, if GSP was confident enough in his skills, he would've moved up for one fight by now. The guy weights between 190-195 and people like you think he is better than most MW and LHW fighters right now. Only if GSP would take one fight @ MW I think people will stop talking about him having a good chance of beating the beast fighter in the UFC. A. Silva>Hendo>GSP. You think GSP is fast, A. Silva is faster and has way more agility than GSP. Look all it takes is one good shot from A. Silva and this fight would be over. I know AS has the upperhand in the standup but if you think AS can't submit GSP then you're sadly mistaken! Both fighters are smart, AS just has more all around skill then GSP. GSP is a great WW @ MW he is unproven!

i think it's completely stupid that the UFC would have him fight silva first... for the title. let George work through some other middleweights and earn his shot at silva or whomever the future title holder may be at the time. Makes the most sense to me. especially when so many people ***** about fighters getting title shots before they "deserve" it. Just an opinion.

I agree. I think if people see him fight @ MW and see he can't dominate like he did @ WW, people will understand AS is not good for GSP. He probably should wait til AS is older maybe 40+, it may be a good fight then!

Nah, Dana is just scared that GSP will KO Silva. Thats the truth.

GSP would dominate Silva. While I like Anderson, GSP would use his wrestling to take Silva down and ground and pound him. As long as he gets the takedown (and it isn't like Silva has amazing takedown defense) the size advantage won't be big enough for GSP not to keep him down, and he is too good at avoiding submissions to get caught in Anderson's overrated jiujitsu

Size isn't what does it unless your Lesnar, but Silva would destroy GSP. GSP's glass chin is no match for Anderson's KO power.

GSP would dominate Silva. While I like Anderson' date=' GSP would use his wrestling to take Silva down and ground and pound him. As long as he gets the takedown (and it isn't like Silva has amazing takedown defense) the size advantage won't be big enough for GSP not to keep him down, and he is too good at avoiding submissions to get caught in Anderson's overrated jiujitsu[/quote']

That's like saying Rashad Evans would pwn Junior Dos Santos... It'd just never happen.

This is true. Size isnt everything unlike most of people think. I have seen smaller man beat bigger a lot of the times in training. Its not like that 15 pounds really make such a difference. People are too obsessed with weight classes.

Size doesn't matter? That's why have six weight classes (WEC) and fighters like Bisping, Diego, Wanderlai, to name a few, dropped down in weight.

I used to think Anderson's Jujitsu was overrated, until I watched the Lutter and Hendo fights over again. Silva let Lutter take him down the last time. And although Lutter had a full mount on Silva his GnP was ineffective as Silva held Lutter arms up high causing most strikes to miss or graze and then he swept him. Regardless, both 5 rounders ended in the second round on the ground, as Hendo and Lutter got caught in the Spider's web.

Nah' date=' Dana is just scared that GSP will KO Silva. Thats the truth.[/quote']

"I think Silva is too big for him"

does not suggest to me that Dana is afraid of what GSP will do to Silva but rather what Silva will do to GSP

We all know GSP's chance of winning it would be to use his wrestling, Dana is afraid that because Silva is a lot bigger and taller (and incredible strength) that GSP will not be able to wrestle with him the way he does with the WW division. That being the case, we all acknowledge that GSP will not win standing, and if Silva was to stop GSP's takedowns (which Dana seems to suggest).

GSP being able to manhandle a freak like Alves is impressive, but come on, we all know Silva is not Alves. Silva is FAR better at using his power than Alves, who is just a hard hitter.

If anyone believes that its Silva who is ducking GSP then you are an idiot. Silva has no reason to be afraid, his BJJ is far better than GSP's. And keep in mind Silva is a blackbelt in Judo, we might even see him getting GSP on his back (unlikely, but I think he is capable of doing so)

Dana needs to not ....worry about it and let the fight happen......him interjecting his personal opinions into the fights...hurt the promotion of the match up............kind of like his comments on the Mir Kongo fight "Mir can't stand and Kongo can easily get submitted on the ground" Well Mir knocked Nogueria out easily....and handed Kongo his a** ." so if thats the definition of "can't stand" I think you need to watch more striking match ups."......he had to try to tear MIr down to make the fight sound more interesting.

I like dana ....just sometime those comments should more more thought out ....and i think he has become to partial to anderson silva and Brock lesnar.

I seriously think GSP would beat him, GSP could take Anderson down (Travis Lutter did) and get the decision, i don't think he could finish Anderson although he could get the sub because i don't think Anderson's BJJ is as good as everyone says.His groundgame definitely has holes that GSP could explote.Just my 2 cents ;)

Actually 15 lbs.would make quite a difference. However enough skill can overcome the weight advantage' date=' but weight certainly does help.[/quote']

Was thinking the exact same thing. It helps but isn't the end all of be all advantage to have. The Gracies are a great example of this.

Was thinking the exact same thing. It helps but isn't the end all of be all advantage to have. The Gracies are a great example of this.

Can't really compare Royce Gracie to MMA today in my opinion.It has evolved alot, back then when Royce was beating big guy's, the skills were very limited unlike the MMA of today.

lt would certainly be an interesting match up for both of them. Both of them have their advantages to capatilize on. One aspect ive been wondering about is can GSP out work Silva and frustrate him. We have yet to see Silva go through a 25 min meat grinder which i think GSP would gladly oblige him with. Where also don't have to question GSP what so ever

I can't agree with this... Technique rules over size and strength' date=' for example 2000 USA Olympic coach Sergei Beloglazov is a 125lb (9x world champion, 3x gold metalist) and he has been known to not only defeat but punish world class grapplers from all weight classes, yes including heavy weights (I've seen this first hand, my buddy Quincey wrestled in the Olympics @ 85kilos which is about 196lbs he has a background in freestyle, greco, jui jitsu (blackbelt), judo, and samba and he still got beat up by this 125 pounder)... I think GSP has excellent timing and is much faster than Silva so without question his wrestling will still work, but I do agree if it was to stay as a standing battle Silva would probably win. Though GSP being a great strategist that he is would find those takedowns... This fight could go either way either GSP by summission or Silva by knock out but I highly doubt it would reach 5 rounds or even 3 for that matter.[/quote']

chill bro ..

"I think Silva is too big for him"

does not suggest to me that Dana is afraid of what GSP will do to Silva but rather what Silva will do to GSP

We all know GSP's chance of winning it would be to use his wrestling' date=' Dana is afraid that because Silva is a lot bigger and taller (and incredible strength) that GSP will not be able to wrestle with him the way he does with the WW division. That being the case, we all acknowledge that GSP will not win standing, and if Silva was to stop GSP's takedowns (which Dana seems to suggest).

GSP being able to manhandle a freak like Alves is impressive, but come on, we all know Silva is not Alves. Silva is FAR better at using his power than Alves, who is just a hard hitter.

If anyone believes that its Silva who is ducking GSP then you are an idiot. Silva has no reason to be afraid, his BJJ is far better than GSP's. And keep in mind Silva is a blackbelt in Judo, we might even see him getting GSP on his back (unlikely, but I think he is capable of doing so)[/quote']

Your name says it all. So what more can we expect from a Bj fan...you Bj fans hate on GSP every chance you get.

FTR, GSP's wrestling is way better than Anderson's. That being said Anderson likely has the better stand up. I think the fight would be much more competitive than GSP haters like to think.

I think the fight will happen soon. Then we will all see if Anderson can defend GSP's takedowns. This fight could go either way.

So for anyone who can possibly think that GSP will beat Silva, you are very very wrong. Like all fighters, everyone stands a chance against his opponent, but in this case, that chance is very small.[/quote'] so you think anderson is too big for GSP to overpower?So are you Ready to eat Crow? because I just happen to have a clip of GSP sparring and wrestleing with 205 pounder Rashad evans

By saying that its obvious that Dana knows GSP would lose. Silva has never used his size to his advantage' date='[/b'] and I dont see him doing so with GSP. GSP on the other hand cannot wrestle against someone bigger, and seriously, the only way GSP could beat Silva would be to take him down and hold him down for the 5 rounds, which would be very difficult against someone Silva's size (and skill).

So for anyone who can possibly think that GSP will beat Silva, you are very very wrong. Like all fighters, everyone stands a chance against his opponent, but in this case, that chance is very small.

?Silva has never used his size to his advantage," What ? Can you say reach advantage ? Anderson stays rangy and uses his reach very well height & reach is part of size & size advantage.

Archived