Sign in to follow this  
wanderlei4ever

The Truth About Gsp

I'll say I can see where he's coming from and I agree to a certain extent. But at the same time...it's a fight...and if these fights were taking place in a back alley somewhere...GSP would STILL be able to do the same thing...if it was easy to do what GSP does then everyone would do it. Fact is..GSP is great at controlling people and staying on top.

It's not the most exciting no. But..I DO think it's valid. And yes of all the champs I'd rather watch any of the others from an entertainment perspective before GSP..but still I take my hat of to the man.

Cheers

-DR

I'm sorry whoever wrote that has never ever competed in fighting or wrestling... What GSP does and strategic and very hard to do for 5 rounds including keeping phenominal timing, well mixed striking and summissions,,, Plus he has fought many big names including the welterweight legend Matt Hughes (when he was at the top of his game) and Dominated him on more that one occassion... That author simply had alot of free time an animosity over GSP for whatever reasons but his point of view is very narrow minded and any true or experienced athlete would agree.

I also understand where he?s coming from when he?s talking about protecting GSP. I am more exciting about a daley / gsp matchup than a hardy / gsp matchup. Hardy is no match for gsp.

But still, GSP IS a fighter! And a smart one to. It's not only about kickboxing and let your opponent decide where the fight is gonna be and beat him there, it's about beeing smart and win. GSP is a perfect strategist. He keeps the initiative not his opponent. GSP decides where the fight is gonna be. I think a real fighter and champion is somebody who forces his will upon his opponent, and that is what you see with GSP in all his fights. It's not always the most exciting way, but saying GSP is probably not an top 20 fighter is one of the dumbest things to say. He's gotta be top 3 with BJ Penn and Silva. What the order in the top three is, you can argue about that.

yet another idiot rehashing this dooshbags rubbish i believe there is already at least 9 of these floating around like the turds they are,read what this guy says then go and watch some MMA and then you will realize just how stupid you and he are.

i can destroy every arguement made by this tool.

motivator5e552c4de9454e426334eac-1.jpg[/img]

I also understand where he?s coming from when he?s talking about protecting GSP. I am more exciting about a daley / gsp matchup than a hardy / gsp matchup. Hardy is no match for gsp.

But still' date=' GSP IS a fighter! And a smart one to. It's not only about kickboxing and let your opponent decide where the fight is gonna be and beat him there, it's about beeing smart and win. [b']Greg Jackson is a perfect strategist[/b]. He keeps the initiative not his opponent. GSP decides where the fight is gonna be. I think a real fighter and champion is somebody who forces his will upon his opponent, and that is what you see with GSP in all his fights. It's not always the most exciting way, but saying GSP is probably not an top 20 fighter is one of the dumbest things to say. He's gotta be top 3 with BJ Penn and Silva. What the order in the top three is, you can argue about that.

fixed.

so why would a CHAMPION pick holes in the CHALLENGERS game plan? surely the CHALLENGER needs to prove his worthiness! how many times have you seen good established fighters change from their natural style and end up losing? i can think of atleast a dozen fighters! utter rubbish surrounded by ridiculous accusations against a genuine force in MMA!

This is probably another childish Dan Hardy mind game. He used the internet against Marcus Davis and it worked. So why wouldn't he do the same thing against GSP. Which he has no chance against.

I'm going out on a limb and saying it. I think this is Dan Hardy's work. I can picture him saying all this stuff. When I read this article I could picture Dan saying all of it. I think Brits are very nice people. But Dan Hardy is a D-Bag with a retarded haircut. I would be sad to see this guy as champ. I can't stand that stupid look on his face.

Hey OP thread on this exact subject:

http://forums.ufc.production.sparkart.net/showthread.php?t=19728

to save some time here is a copy past for you to read,

check out this site: www.themmacritic.com

some interesting thoughts on GSP..

The guy that wrote that article has his head up his ****. From the article:

"A true champion does not need to force his opponents to fight their fight – a true champion let’s their opponent choose and finds the holes to defeat them."

Right. A true champion is dominant enough to force the fight where he wants it. Maybe the guy didn't actually watch the Thiago Alves fight and see where GSP dominated the stand up by dropping Alves twice with strikes and dominated on the ground.

"Why is it then that the next person Serra ends up fighting after obtaining the belt is GSP again?It doesn’t add up. Rampage lost his belt to Forrest Griffin in a VERY contraversial decision' date=' however, the next person Griffin fought after obtaining the belt was NOT Rampage."[/quote']

A simple fact check would have shown Serra was supposed to fight Matt Huges and was injured and couldn't fight. GSP fought and beat Kos, then fought Matt Hughes for the Interm Title and beat him to set up a rematch with Serra when he got back from injury. If the author had have done something as simple as hit Matt Serra's wiki page he would see Serra was off with injury for a full year. UFC69 win over GSP Apr 7 2007. UFC83 Sierra/GSP2 April 19 2008/

LMAO at

For those that don’t know, BJ was too tired to continue to the 5th round"

The bottom line is that the UFC ensured that GSP won the title and is making every effort for him to retain it.

Tin foil hats for sale cheap.

Guy needs to learn about MMA before he starts writing about it. The whole article is nothing but hot air.

For those that say GSP doesn't stand up any more:

kbq0x3.gif

jon_fitch-300x289.jpg

gsp_alves_24412.jpg

The reason we love to watch MMA is for the excitement of the fight, and also because anything can happen at any time. If Matt Serra was able to beat GSP with a punch, who's to say Dan Hardy can't do the same? How many champions have been caught cold....personally I'd love to see Hardy as champion, at least he's got a personality. the sport needs big characters, they help to bring new fans to MMA.

The reason we love to watch MMA is for the excitement of the fight' date=' and also because anything can happen at any time. If Matt Serra was able to beat GSP with a punch, who's to say Dan Hardy can't do the same? How many champions have been caught cold....personally I'd love to see Hardy as champion, at least he's got a personality. [b']the sport needs big characters[/b], they help to bring new fans to MMA.

How can you say that GSP doesn't have a personality? Just because he doesn't talk sh!t about others. I think Gatorade or Under Armour may disagree with you as they are using him as their marketing tool.

They already have a hot headed champ that is both big and a character, and to be honest i think he brings down MMA a few notches with his antics. Growing the sport is about showing the level of respect this sport has to offer. I think this is fundamental in penetrating new markets, and the critics that talk about MMA being a barbaric sport feed of this stuff and thus inhibit the penetration into these new markets.

Just my opinion

that guy is a moron to think that GSP doesnt have great striking....the way he counters people is absolutely insane....if you scored the Alves fight based on what happen when they were standing...GSP wins. Look what GSP did to Jon Fitch while they were standing..... I Fu king hate it when people trash talk great fighters. Theres a reason why people are considered the Best in the world. And its not because of morons like this guy who sit behind a desk and type out their opinions. Its because the fighter's peers believe that he or she is the best. This writer should go bang his head off a wall. Clearly he's a ******

The author may be the most biased person I have ever heard of.......

A true champion does not need to force his opponents to fight their fight ? a true champion let?s their opponent choose and finds the holes to defeat them. Examples of these so-called ?true champions? are Fedor, Anderson Silva and BJ Penn.

Yes, because Anderson went to the ground with Leites.....

GSP has beaten everyone on the feet and on the ground in all of his fights since Serra. Because he mixes it up makes him scared to do one thing or another. Keep your opponents thinking about something else, have them scared of a takedown while you beat them on the feet and when they forget about the takedown because they are getting crushed then take them down and beat them there. Ya, he's horrible....not a true champion at all.

Looks like Hardy's plan isn't working out too well.

lux_glassjaw - What do you mean by fixed?

GSP obviously learned his lesson from that loss to Serra. Do you think Serra could beat Alves, Fitch or any of the other top contenders?? I don't think so. Hardy will lose and I will be cheering very loudly when it happens. I understand why a lot of people might want Hardy to win, but in my opinion his character brings down the sport. We haven't seen how he handles himself on his back but we will soon. I predict 2 puffy black eyes, a fat lip and and bruised ribs for Dan Hardy.

yet another idiot rehashing this dooshbags rubbish i believe there is already at least 9 of these floating around like the turds they are' date='read what this guy says then go and watch some MMA and then you will realize just how stupid you and he are.

i can destroy every arguement made by this tool.

[img']http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad133/aethlefirth/motivator5e552c4de9454e426334eac-1.jpg[/img][/img]

+ 1000

i shouldnt really be replying as this thread has already been created about 10 times.

it confuses me when people critisise gsp's stand up. the serra tko was a long time ago.

gsp's stand up is brilliant, he outclassed alves on the feet.

and anyone who doesnt look forward to a gsp fight or think he's boring, quite frankly is clueless about everything,

Its threads like these that make me think people should have to take tests to be on this forum... but then again what would the people who KNOW what they are talking about do without the clueless ones. I guess in that sense i congratulate the original OP for bringing something to do on my friday morning.

I wise man once told me.... "If you argue with an idiot, you too become an idiot"

Hey OP thread on this exact subject:

http://forums.ufc.production.sparkart.net/showthread.php?t=19728

to save some time here is a copy past for you to read' date='

The guy that wrote that article has his head up his ****. From the article:

Right. A true champion is dominant enough to force the fight where he wants it. Maybe the guy didn't actually watch the Thiago Alves fight and see where GSP dominated the stand up by dropping Alves twice with strikes and dominated on the ground.

A simple fact check would have shown Serra was supposed to fight Matt Huges and was injured and couldn't fight. GSP fought and beat Kos, then fought Matt Hughes for the Interm Title and beat him to set up a rematch with Serra when he got back from injury. If the author had have done something as simple as hit Matt Serra's wiki page he would see Serra was off with injury for a full year. UFC69 win over GSP Apr 7 2007. UFC83 Sierra/GSP2 April 19 2008/

LMAO at

Tin foil hats for sale cheap.

Guy needs to learn about MMA before he starts writing about it. The whole article is nothing but hot air.

For those that say GSP doesn't stand up any more:

[img']http://i43.tinypic.com/kbq0x3.gif"]http://i43.tinypic.com/kbq0x3.gif [/img]

jon_fitch-300x289.jpg

gsp_alves_24412.jpg

lol :) ^^ this

yeah I dont think mr mma critic is the sharpest knife in the drawer. That article (In my opinion) was slightly ridiculous and I agree with some of you other guys' posts, there is no way hes ever competed.

yeah I dont think mr mma critic is the sharpest knife in the drawer. That article (In my opinion) was slightly ridiculous and I agree with some of you other guys' posts' date=' there is no way hes ever competed.[/quote']

Competed? I wonder if he has ever even watched a fight.........

Well...the guys lists his top ten as

#1 – Fedor E.

#2 – Rampage Jackson

#3 – Brock Lesnar

#4 – Vitor Belfort

#5 – Anderson Silva

#6 – Dan Henderson

#7 – BJ Penn

#8 – Shogun

#9 – Junior Dos Sontos

#10 – Lyoto Machida

None of these guys make their opponents fight their game? He has an opinion he is allowed to voice that he thinks gsp is a "competitor" moreso than a "fighter" but he sure doesn't have much to back that up. Imposing your kind of fight on your opponent is what the winners do.

That article is freaken pathetic.

The guy is an obvious GSP-hater, and seemingly has very little knowledge about MMA or its history.

The fact the OP agrees with the entire article, just confirms everything I had assumed about him from our prior disagreements.

FAIL!

So fill me in here, when did GSP become this untouchable fighter that anyone with valid criticisms or a different opinion than the popular opinion is ridiculed and insulted?

Machida is lambasted and criticized for an elusive, counterstriking style, which has him UNDEFEATED and in the champions seat, as being boring and not a real "fighter" but GSP's equally if not more boring, TD, GnP, rinse and repeat is hailed as great strategy and doing what he needs to do to win.??

I won't call GSP a lay and pray fighter, he does good GnP work, stays busy, and does damage, but still seems to have lost the fighter's drive to finish in the last few fights. The wrestler's GnP has never been a super popular style, ask Colemann, Randelmann, etc. as it emphasizes the win on points over the fight to finish.

Machida has been the equivalent of lay n pray in the stand up, controlling when and where exchanges are initiated and winning the points war over finnishing, but the difference in my eyes is he has become more of a finisher as his career progresses rather than less. But he still gets hammered as boring and not willing to fight by the very same people proclaiming at the top of their lungs GSP's dominance and superiority when they use just about the same gameplan, though the position is different.

Again the double standard of the modern MMA fan.

I just don't understand where some folks get so incredibly upset over someone else's opinion differing from their own. GSP is a professional and is just as open to criticism as any other fighter in the UFC, but some put him on a pedestal as untouchable. This just makes me want him to lose just to bring some people down from their high horse of indignation over anyone claiming he is less than Superman.

And I couldn't agree more with the article saying GSP is a "competitor" rather than a "fighter".

Well, this is a SPORT.. not a backyard brawl.

In sports, people COMPETE.

Regardless, it's true that people are very hypocritical about this types of things. Machida does get blasted by a lot of people. Not by me, though.

My issue with the article, is the way he wrote it. He says stuff about fighting the other fighters fight, and picking out the holes, then goes on to list Lesnar as one of his top fighters to watch.

I've got nothing against Lesnar, but he's the exact type of fighter that this article is supposed to be about!! He doesn't try to find 'holes' in your stand-up game.. he wants to take you down. For him to talk bad about Georges, shows that he is the total definition of a hypocrite.. and a BLATANT GSP-hater.

You can't argue with that, can you?

Well' date=' this is a SPORT.. not a backyard brawl.

In sports, people COMPETE.

Regardless, it's true that people are very hypocritical about this types of things. Machida does get blasted by a lot of people. Not by me, though.

My issue with the article, is the way he wrote it. He says stuff about fighting the other fighters fight, and picking out the holes, then goes on to list Lesnar as one of his top fighters to watch.

I've got nothing against Lesnar, but he's the exact type of fighter that this article is supposed to be about!! He doesn't try to find 'holes' in your stand-up game.. he wants to take you down. For him to talk bad about Georges, shows that he is the total definition of a hypocrite.. and a BLATANT GSP-hater.

You can't argue with that, can you?[/quote']

Not at all. And dominance is forcing the fight to go your way. The only analogy he could possibly use to prove his point was the HW version of Couture since he altered his gameplan to match whoever he was fighting, but that was more necessity due to him being undersized.

And hey, there are people who would say, and even believe, (myself definitely NOT among them) that Lesnar showed dynamic kickboxing in the Herring and Couture fight!

Go ahead and laugh now!

Not at all. And dominance is forcing the fight to go your way. The only analogy he could possibly use to prove his point was the HW version of Couture since he altered his gameplan to match whoever he was fighting' date=' but that was more necessity due to him being undersized.

And hey, there are people who would say, and even believe, (myself definitely NOT among them) that Lesnar showed dynamic kickboxing in the Herring and Couture fight!

Go ahead and laugh now![/quote']

LOL!!! <---- there, done :P

I still think that article isn't even worthy of wiping my **** with, though ;)

A guy that makes a blog to rant about how GSP isn't a fighter and puts brock lesnar in his top three is a guy I won't listen to.

Unlike GSP, Brock Lesnar is at least very entertaining and always puts on a show, oh did I forget he finishes his opponents? He isn't another LnP like GSP!!

Unlike GSP' date=' Brock Lesnar is at least very entertaining and always puts on a show, oh did I forget he finishes his opponents? He isn't another LnP like GSP!![/quote']

GTFO with this crap.

He sure finished Herring, didn't he?

Unlike GSP' date=' Brock Lesnar is at least very entertaining and always puts on a show, oh did I forget he finishes his opponents? He isn't another LnP like GSP!![/quote']

U should stop comming on forum drunk .

where this guy got the idea that gsp is not in a fight and is only competing i dont know. " a true champion does not force his opponents to fight their fight- a true champion lets their opponents find the holes to defeat them." that statement made me laugh, and i laughed harder when he gave anderson silva as an example of a "true champion." silva was involved in one of the worst fights of all time ( silva/ leites) because he wanted to counterstrike a fighter who doesnt like to strike he attempted making leites fight his fight, that didnt work to well. mma is a sport therefore everyone is competing, it just so happens what they are competing in is fighting, there isnt any seperation between the two.

classic example of someone trying to downplay gsp's accomplishments and make him look bad. epic fail that doesnt deserve a funny picture.

No matter how you slice it GSP is one of the most dominant FIGHTERS in the history of the sport. Blah, blah, blah, "He's an athelete not a fighter... he's a competitor not a fighter". The atricle is clearly hypocritical. It is not bad in that it's poorly written, it's very articulate. It's bad because it's another so and so saying "Oh D.W. wants to protect his Canadian constituency, so he's doing WIT to keep the boring Canuck champ a champ." Whether it's Lesnar or Penn or GSP, the champ is a champ because of what that athelete, competitor, fighter; whatever brings to the table. To down a title holder because you want to see a more brutal, less technical man win is over the top ridiculous. There will always be the guy that says this champ is awful because of that. If the only negative you can attribute to a fighter is that he does whatever it takes to keep winning... I mean is that really a negative?

I don't even know where to begin with this post.

If you think Lestard is higher or will ever be higher in the P4P list then just save us the trouble and slit your wrist.

#1 ? Fedor E.

#2 ? Rampage Jackson

#3 ? Brock Lesnar

#4 ? Vitor Belfort

#5 ? Anderson Silva

#6 ? Dan Henderson

#7 ? BJ Penn

#8 ? Shogun

#9 ? Junior Dos Sontos

#10 ? Lyoto Machida

this is this dudes top 10? so he critisizes the ufc for hand feeding gsp beatable opponents yet doesnt take aim at the cans fedor has been fighting the last 4 years then proceeds to put him atop his list?

please. this guy is a tool, and im not a gsp fan but he does what he does and its yp to his opponent to stop him from doing it.

the only thing i agree on is alves being over-rated.

the reason he fought matt serra right away after the loss cus everybody and their grandmother that **** was a fluke. Including matt serra and his grandmommy and if you gonna sit here and say it wasnt then you obviously didnt watch him destroy serra in the rematch. Like serious what real champion was ever stopped with knees to the body??

So fill me in here' date=' when did GSP become this untouchable fighter that anyone with valid criticisms or a different opinion than the popular opinion is ridiculed and insulted?

Machida is lambasted and criticized for an elusive, counterstriking style, which has him UNDEFEATED and in the champions seat, as being boring and not a real "fighter" but GSP's equally if not more boring, TD, GnP, rinse and repeat is hailed as great strategy and doing what he needs to do to win.??

I won't call GSP a lay and pray fighter, he does good GnP work, stays busy, and does damage, but still seems to have lost the fighter's drive to finish in the last few fights. The wrestler's GnP has never been a super popular style, ask Colemann, Randelmann, etc. as it emphasizes the win on points over the fight to finish.

Machida has been the equivalent of lay n pray in the stand up, controlling when and where exchanges are initiated and winning the points war over finnishing, but the difference in my eyes is he has become more of a finisher as his career progresses rather than less. But he still gets hammered as boring and not willing to fight by the very same people proclaiming at the top of their lungs GSP's dominance and superiority when they use just about the same gameplan, though the position is different.

Again the double standard of the modern MMA fan.

I just don't understand where some folks get so incredibly upset over someone else's opinion differing from their own. GSP is a professional and is just as open to criticism as any other fighter in the UFC, but some put him on a pedestal as untouchable. This just makes me want him to lose just to bring some people down from their high horse of indignation over anyone claiming he is less than Superman.[/quote']

Well said fella, I agree with you completely