What do yall think?

ATX45

There are some stuff that I would like to get you guy's opinions on.

1. Should the heavy weight division be from 205-235, and a super heavyweight form 235+ or something like that.

2. Elbows banned. Elbows just cup peole up and sometimes end a good fight. I have only seen Anderson liva KO someone with an elbow, can't remember anyone else.

3. Weigh Ins- Do fighters really weigh 20+ pounds at fight day?

4. Why do you think pride fighters aren't doing that good in the UFC? Crocop, W. Silva.

5. Why do fighters think just cuz they cut weight their going to rule the division they go to. ( swick, vera, sanches,) in a few years all 6'2 fighters are going to be at 155.

6. My best fighters of all times in order. Anderson Silva, Fedor, GSP.

Hope to get some good info.

1. Should the heavy weight division be from 205-235, and a super heavyweight form 235+ or something like that.

No, it's fine the way it is, for too long the heavyweight division has had too many fighters who belong at LHW. The introduction of bigger stronger fighters at HW will force those who don't belong to move down and the ones who stay to improve their athleticism.

2. Elbows banned. Elbows just cup peole up and sometimes end a good fight. I have only seen Anderson liva KO someone with an elbow, can't remember anyone else.

Such a small amount of fights are actually stopped due to cuts that it doesn't justify disallowing Elbows. It would kill the ground and pound which is an exciting element of MMA.

Yes. I've personally seen fighters cut more than 20 pound many times.

4. Why do you think pride fighters aren't doing that good in the UFC? Crocop, W. Silva.

These guys are getting older and been through wars, if you compare them to their UFC counterparts who were doing well at roughly the same time they too are struggling. Everyone eventually gets older and slower...you can never beat father time.

5. Why do fighters think just cuz they cut weight their going to rule the division they go to. ( swick, vera, sanches,) in a few years all 6'2 fighters are going to be at 155.

I think many believe that if they move down a division the size advantage will give them the edge but they fail to realize that when they have a more strenuous cut it can have a serious negative effect on performance.

I agree with your choices but I think the order is Fedor, Anderson, GSP

Soon there will and should be more weight classes and the HW division would be broken down into two or even three weight classes.

1. maybe, or maybe the lighter heavyweight fighters should cut down to 205. Could you imagine Fedor at 205. Crazy.

2. Elbows are a great weapon for fighters on the ground so no dont ban them.

3. yeah i think brock can get back up to like 285 lbs which is crazy.

4. A. silva, rampage, the nog brothers are doing very well so its a bit of both.

5. If you can get to a lower weight class healthily then why not, having a bigger frame will give you an advantage.

6. My favourites are Fedor, w. silva and melvin manhoef.

Anyone who wishes to do well in MMA should cut weight, otherwise you will be outweighed and out-muscled.

There are a handful of good Japanese fighters that refuses to cut weight and have come short of greatness because of it. The only one I am very impressed with is Sakuraba.

1.That's a nice idea.

2.Elbows are awesome as long as they are not 12 to 6 when someone is on the ground

3.Yep

4.They have been through a lot but there are some that have kept a steady pace. Rampage, Nog's...

5.Maybe they think they can take advantage of the fact that they may be a bit stronger and use their size to their advantage. Ex. guys who are tall have longer limbs...

6.My fav's are Diego Sanchez, W.Silva, GSP.

1. Should the heavy weight division be from 205-235' date=' and a super heavyweight form 235+ or something like that.

Hope to get some good info.[/quote']

1. Nah, If you weigh over 230 (205ers lose a little, then cut a little) you're a pretty big guy. It becomes an interesting contest of mobility and endurance versus raw power. It's the only weight division where you can have a big guy versus a little guy, and I'd hate to lose that.

2. Never thought of banning elbows for that reason. I can't say I disagree with you, nor can I say that you're 100% right here. Interesting idea.

3.Some of them do.

4.The competition over here is very stiff. This is the land of Olympic Gold in almost every event.

5. Strength is harder to acquire than endurance. That being said, these guys don't appear to be doing better in the lighter divisions.

6. Until Fedor fights in the UFC, I can not consider him a factor. I saw the Lindland fight.

Definitely not for a long time, Dana has been working very hard on bringing the UFC heavyweight division from a weak div to a stacked div and is doing a great job, changing the weight class now will destroy everything that they have been working on.

Elbows are needed sometimes to stuff takedowns.

Yes.

There is more top competition, Big Nog wins some and loses some, when has he ever cleaned the division? Never...now with more options to fight against he is bound to lose a few more, others are past their prime.

It gives them a weight advantage on fight day and their strength and endurance scales better against lighter people.

6. My best fighters of all times in order.

Fedor and maybe Anderson Silva in the future if he fights enough people at both weight classes.

No. I like the idea, but in my opinion, the "Super-Heavyweight" division would end up stacked, and the heavyweight division would be boring.

I don't really see a problem with elbows, but I do agree that 12-6 elbows are dangerous.

I've heard of fighters gaining a lot of weight the night before a fight, but I'm not sure I've ever seen someone gain 20 pounds. However, gaining weight between weigh-ins and fight night isn't really an advantage, as both fighters do it.

Like other people have said, they are just getting older and slower.

Could you imagine a 6'2 fighter at lightweight? He would have an incredible size advantage, and his reach advantage could win the fight for him.

1. Should the heavy weight division be from 205-235' date=' and a super heavyweight form 235+ or something like that.

4.) Are you kidding me, all PRIDE fighters aren't doing good in UFC not just Cro Cop & Wandy

1) It is looking more & more likely that there does need to be an extra weight class at the upper end yes simply because of massive weight differences between HW fighters. However with the lack of heavy weight talent as it is I think finding guys to fill that 235+ division is going to be very very hard, not to mention it cannibalises heavyweights from the other division.

2) No, there are plenty of Elbow KO's around.

3) Yes some of them really do.

4) Cro-cop has some mental issues I think. Wand is just too beat up. The stupid pride match where Cro-Cop brutally KO'd him has needlessly shortened his career IMHO, its really no diff to how screed up Sakurab is now thanks to Pride also.

5) Im not entirely sure, I guess they think they can overcome a lack of skills or holes in their game by increasing their weight advantage through dropping down a weigh class. Joe Riggs was probably the worst offender for cutting weight any time he lost and it sure has not done him any favours.

6) I still have to put Fedor first even though he did fight some freakshow matches (which is not his fault, again Pride did that) and I think I would put GSP a very close second.

Archived