Phillipe Nover says there was no seizure before September fight

freedom

http://www.fightmarks.com/story.php?title=phillipe-nover-says-there-was-no-seizure-before-september-fight

When Phillipe Nover collapsed in the locker room, mere hours before he was set to face Sam Stout at UFC Fight Night 19 in September, the rumors started flying.

Commission officials backstage thought what they had seen was a seizure. That message was relayed to fans by UFC president Dana White's Twitter account. Media reports ran with the information.

What actually happened that night according to Nover, who has a bachelor's degree in nursing, was that he simply fainted ? most likely due to the strains of cutting weight.

"People said I had a seizure, that wasn't the case," Nover said. "I fainted. I knew it wasn't a seizure. I've never had one before. I wasn't convulsing or biting my tongue; that's a seizure. I basically just lost consciousness.

"It completely hit me by surprise. It was like somebody swept the rug from under my feet. I had no control over it."

people with opinions like yours ruin sports and take away peoples freedoms ie the athlete. if the athletes arent intelligent enough to know how much is to much thats their bad and their choice. limiting weigh cuts is ridiculious. its all about who wants it most. i mean there wouldnt be a lightweight division. there arent very many humans that walk around at or near 155. most fighters cut like 20 pounds so if you cut that inhalf thats only 10 lbs a person could cut. every fighter would have to move up a weigh class. and some heavy weights wouldnt even be able to compete. wrestlers and boxers and athletes have been cutting weight for decades. dont fix what isnt broke. evertime you limit someone from doing something you are taking away what makes us american... freedom. freedom of choice is pretty important in my opinion.

people with opinions like yours ruin sports and take away peoples freedoms ie the athlete. if the athletes arent intelligent enough to know how much is to much thats their bad and their choice. limiting weigh cuts is ridiculious. its all about who wants it most. i mean there wouldnt be a lightweight division. there arent very many humans that walk around at or near 155. most fighters cut like 20 pounds so if you cut that inhalf thats only 10 lbs a person could cut. every fighter would have to move up a weigh class. and some heavy weights wouldnt even be able to compete. wrestlers and boxers and athletes have been cutting weight for decades. dont fix what isnt broke. evertime you limit someone from doing something you are taking away what makes us american... freedom. freedom of choice is pretty important in my opinion.

so its just americans that cut weight??? actually that is prob right!! hahaha :P

the thread is right, SOME fighters cut too much, and whether theyre freedom should allow them too or not, too much cutting is bad, affects the head and along with big blows can go on to cause serious harm! i think fighters should have a weight cut per period, so for instant, a fighter could cut so much per month, meaning if they have to cut alot they do it over a longer period, making it safer but not limiting them to moving up divisions.

damn, im wise!!!!

what's the point of having weight divisions if going into a fight someone weights 10 pounds more then their opponent? the weight should be equal and cutting weight is unhealthy and can shorten fighting careers among other things.

I think instead of limiting the limits for cutting, fighter's hydration levels should be closely monitored leading up to a fight, especially the day of. That is if they don't do it already (a guy fainting in the locker room leads me to think they don't). It's something most of us that wrestled in high school or college went through. When I wrestled, both in high school and for my post team in the military, we had health proffesionals conducting monthly tests of our hydration levels, including the day of a tourney. If you were below a certain level, you didn't wrestle.

Who cares how much a fighter cuts for a weight class? That is there decision. The only time it really affects the fans is if someone misses weight. Other than that it is a fighter's responsibility to decide what weight class they will compete in. These are professional athletes that we're talking about and trying to impose regulations on how much weight they can cut is a ridiculous idea.

But let's hope that Nover makes it to the ring this time. I read another article saying how he was eating a much better diet and refueling properly after the weigh-ins. That will hopefully mark a huge improvement in his game.

Stuff like this is why I think there needs to be limits to the amount of weight athletes are allowed to cut.

so how much weight did he cut?? how much is too much? did he cut 5lbs and just not rehydrate properly? did he cut 20lbs and not have time to rehydrate? did he cut 15, rehydrate properly, but hyperventalate and passout from the excitement? We have no idea what caused the faint, so don't start jumping on the bandwagon saying what fighters have to do for their own safety. I guess Mir isn't allowed to drive himself to the arena anymore, cuz bikes are dangerous. These guys get punched in the face for a living, I don't think a little dehydration is gonna be that bad for them in the grand scheme of things.

so how much weight did he cut?? how much is too much? did he cut 5lbs and just not rehydrate properly? did he cut 20lbs and not have time to rehydrate? did he cut 15' date=' rehydrate properly, but hyperventalate and passout from the excitement? We have no idea what caused the faint, so don't start jumping on the bandwagon saying what fighters have to do for their own safety. I guess Mir isn't allowed to drive himself to the arena anymore, cuz bikes are dangerous. These guys get punched in the face for a living, I don't think a little dehydration is gonna be that bad for them in the grand scheme of things.[/quote']

If you'll notice I was the first one that mentioned it after this thread was started. That is hardly hopping on the bandwagon. And I think 20lbs should be the maximum weight you are allowed to cut through dehydrating yourself the rest should have to be done through diet. And fighters like Rumble Johnson seem to be having a hard time making the weight that they decide to compete at. Fainting before or after weigh ins is not good for the athlete. I am not being unreasonable with my comment on cutting weight and how much is too much. There needs to be a maximum for the health of the athlete.

you are probably fans of Brock Lesnar, Rumble Johnson and Diego Sanchez lol.

you are probably fans of Brock Lesnar' date=' Rumble Johnson and Diego Sanchez lol.[/quote']

Actually he is someone who is a fan of free will. Enough with the regulations talk; that is a bunch of garbage. Every one of those fighters he is supposedly a fan of has been beat. What is your point? That they have an "advantage" because they weigh more on fight night? Awesome, they sure do. Their competition can get bigger or even try to gas them out for cutting weight. Or in the case of Johnson and Sanchez's last fight beat them because they are simply better. Wow, what a concept!

I think you are all forgetting that there are already doctors that can tell when a fighter can't cut anymore.

There have been tons of times when a doctor stopped someone from cutting weight due to risk of health. I can't remember who it was within the last few fight cards, but one fighter didn't make weight because the doctor told him to stop.

Would anyone be opposed to a 60/40 rule?

Where you have to cut 60% of the weight you need to cut to make weight through conventional methods (Ie. Diet, exercise) and the rest through cutting weight. It is my understanding that most fighters do it this way anyway. There are only a select few that cut more then that through dehydration methods.

Anthony Johnson is who I am mainly pointing out on this, 2 fights in a row, one he didn't make weight because of an injury and another he fainted before the weigh ins. Some athletes need to really consider moving up a weight class for that reason.

I don't agree that there should be limitations on weight-cutting.

Fact is, people are going to cut weight one way or another. If they have weigh-ins on the day of the fight, that will be very bad for the fighters. They will be fighting and not properly hydrated.

Don't look at Nover's fainting as a result from cutting weight. Remember, he's obviously got a history of it. He fainted on TUF before.

Its his opinion and he's intitled to it. While I have to say I kind of agree. Cutting to much weight is a huge strain on a person's body. There should be a limit of some kind I imagine. Why fighters do it is simple. When your 2 months behind on your rent and your baby needs formula, cutting weight so that your family and you can eat doesn't look so dangerous then. Some fighters do it because they don't have a choice, they need the money.

Archived