Damn! am i the only one who thinks alves is over-rated?

Uwillsubmit

u do make a point but wat really impressed me was that 2 world class wrestlers in Matt Hughes and Koscheck couldn't take Alves down once and GSP took him down multiple times w/ ease and w/ a groin injury (that should've took A LOT of explosiveness out of his shoot) and in the l8r rounds (which should be harder since he's a little tired)

Matt Hughes and Koscheck couldn't take Alves down once and GSP took him down multiple times w/ ease and w/ a groin injury (that should've took A LOT of explosiveness out of his shoot) and in the l8r rounds (which should be harder since he's a little tired)

GSP can take BJ Penn down. Dont be suprised that he can take Alves down.

"GSP can take BJ Penn down. Dont be suprised that he can take Alves down"

+1

Well I can see you're points that you have made.. he did lose pretty bad to Spencer Fisher and Jon Fitch, but those just weren't his nights. Fitch fought his heart out like he does in every fight and Alves fought Spencer Fisher on his 21st birthday man keep in mind he is very young still and fairly well rounded. I see him going far in this sport you can tell he loves it. But if you believe he is overrated thats your opinion although I almost don't think that's fair to say he is a talented young guy who trains his **** off and fights very well.

Alves is over rated ...as is Brock Lesnar...purely because of Brute strength and size and you saw what GSP did to him using skill......

Brock Lesnar is overrated purely because hes insanely big and strong, and therefore cannot win tough fights? I see your point. :S

Yes, he doesn't have a huge amount of technique, but he'll grow as an MMA fighter. Although, he already has good wrestling and huge strong fists, thats usually enough.

Love how you went completely off-topic, saying Alves is over rated and paying out Brock instead.

Brock Lesnar is a Division 1 all american NCAA wrestler with under 6 losses in wrestling and 1 loss in MMA in his second fight.. against Frank Mir?! I'm sorry but I dont think many people could get in the ring and beat on frank mir there 2nd cage fight. Size advantage or not.. Technique outweighs skill. Think of how bad Frank Mir would tool Bob Sapp.. He's weighs even more then Lesnar! Lesnar is a great wrestler, very quick, very precise. Is he a GREAT mixed martial artist? give him a few more years and we'll see.. he's good not great but good. And Alves is good.. him getting worked by GSP should just show how superior GSP is not how lame alves is.. he is training everyday he has more then brute strength and size on his side.

He is hardly overrated. He lost to Fitch ages ago by a lucky upkick. Then went on mad streak, he ended every fight and the fights that went to decision he was dominating. That's why they went to a unanimous decision. He is the 2nd best WW for a reason, He lost to GSP but i think you'll find every other WW has next fight he will finish Fitch.

Alves is far from overrated. His next fight with Fitch is going to show this. I guarantee if Fitch comes out as tentative and sloppy on the feet as he did at 107 Alves is going to TKO him. If anything at this point I'm starting to think Fitch is a bit overrated - but he is still a phenomenal welterweight.

i think hes good as ive stated but im not sold on him as the number 2 guy in the division, to be honest i believed they over hyped him for gsp to convince people he was a genuine threar to gsp, but look at his record he hardly has a win over a top guy, in fact his only win against a top 5 fighter was kos, who to the fight on like 2-3 weeks notice.

Where are you seeing him at number two? Both MMAweekly and Sherdog have Fitch at 2 and Alves at 3.

i listen to fans opinion aswell and alot have him ranked above fitch its irrelevent at the moment i dont think hes top 3 as hes unproven against the top of the division and as ive said hes failed horribly against fitch and gsp.

a rematch with fitch proves nothing IMO

i listen to fans opinion aswell and alot have him ranked above fitch its irrelevent at the moment i dont think hes top 3 as hes unproven against the top of the division and as ive said hes failed horribly against fitch and gsp.

a rematch with fitch proves nothing IMO

You know I would actually argue the opposite. I think the rematch proves everything. The two met in 2006 which was well before they both went on their division dominating runs before getting creamed by GSP. I think then they were both just guys in the welterweight division as opposed to being the big(ger) names that they are right now.

To me this is a huge, huge fight for the division which will cement one as a serious contender for a rematch with GSP - though I believe if Daley knocks out Koscheck he should get it assuming Hardy doesn't "Serra" GSP.

You know I would actually argue the opposite. I think the rematch proves everything. The two met in 2006 which was well before they both went on their division dominating runs before getting creamed by GSP. I think then they were both just guys in the welterweight division as opposed to being the big(ger) names that they are right now.

To me this is a huge' date=' huge fight for the division which will cement one as a serious contender for a rematch with GSP - though I believe if Daley knocks out Koscheck he should get it assuming Hardy doesn't "Serra" GSP.[/quote']

IMO the fitch alves rematch has to be for a rematch with GSP/or a shot at the title other wise its irrelevent

Archived