Will Alex Ried now be given a UFC fight deal?

LegoPig

Looking at a thread on the out of UFC forum it looks like the guy is now the UK's most known MMA fighter. For those that done know about him look here.

I can see him getting a UFC contract on the strength of this. It would make sense for Dana as it would get buyrates from the UK. Would be no worse than giving Kimbo, Brock, Toney and Lashley. They all got in because of being a big name outside of the UFC. (yes I know Lashely is SF and Toney aint in yet).

all those people you named are big in the u.s. i dont really know much about reid other than that he isnt very good. this guy may actually have to earn his shot.

Oh yeah, just like Brock did.

And people in the uk buy pay to watch ufc too!!

Just because he's not big in America doesn't mean everything.

But Alex Reid sucks A** please don't give him a contract! lol

No, he won't get one. He hasn't fought professionally since 2007, lost the preliminary fights on TUF and has literally no exposure to anybody in the US.

His record is 8-8-1, now I like the guy, he was entertaining in Big Brother, but he doesn't deserve a contract in the UFC just for the merit of his personality. I also think that the UFC would probably want a better representative for MMA in the UK.

But his name is hot now and would no doubt pull in some extra viewers in the UK. The UFC is a business first and foremost. So it would benefit from having him on the card even if he lost as a lot of casuals would watch it out of curiosity. And who knows it might make more MMA fans who wouldn't have normally watched.

As for his record, there are fighters with worse records competing in the UFC. I see nowt wrong with him getting a 1 or 2 fight deal.

But his name is hot now and would no doubt pull in some extra viewers in the UK. The UFC is a business first and foremost. So it would benefit from having him on the card even if he lost as a lot of casuals would watch it out of curiosity. And who knows it might make more MMA fans who wouldn't have normally watched.

I agree with you that the ufc is a business, however its part of a sport, and that sport needs to be respected.

Theres guys out out there a hell of alot better that him that could never get a contract.

Dana gives him a contract I think they'll be uproar.

And rightly so.

He record (against guys that aren't even that good) stinks

As for his record' date=' there are fighters with worse records competing in the UFC. I see nowt wrong with him getting a 1 or 2 fight deal.[/quote']

Yeah that would be great like we don?t get enough grief with bisping you want to put this fecking loser in the UFC to represent the UK, NO THANKS

I agree with you that the ufc is a business' date=' however its part of a sport, and that sport needs to be respected.

Theres guys out out there a hell of alot better that him that could never get a contract.

Dana gives him a contract I think they'll be uproar.

And rightly so.

He record (against guys that aren't even that good) stinks[/quote']

There are guys better than Kimbo out there who have a better record and worked harder too. But his 'celebrity' sells tickets. Heck i would say Kimbo right now is a bigger draw than GPS or Anderson Silva. Not saying he is better, that woud be ridiculous, but I have no doubt he is more well known.

Apart from anything else I think someone like Dana would absolutely oppose giving Alex a contract just for the publicity because he knows his record is weak. Remember how badly he used to trash talk Kimbo for similar reasons? The only way Kimbo got in was through TUF, and Reid failed there. Plus I don't think he would be that much of a draw for that long, I'm reasonably sure people will forget about him in the next few months and stop caring, just like every BB winner before him.

Apart from anything else I think someone like Dana would absolutely oppose giving Alex a contract just for the publicity because he knows his record is weak. Remember how badly he used to trash talk Kimbo for similar reasons? The only way Kimbo got in was through TUF' date=' and Reid failed there. Plus I don't think he would be that much of a draw for that long, I'm reasonably sure people will forget about him in the next few months and stop caring, just like every BB winner before him.[/quote']

Yeah, he trashed Kimbo a lot. But he could not resist giving him a chance, and he guaranteed good viewing figures for TUF 10 by letting Kimbo in. Like I said give Alex a 1 or 2 fight deal, just to throw out bait for potential new fans who might not have normally watched a UFC event. If it got 100000 extra buys from just having his name on a card it might hook 50000 new regular fans.

It is like fishing and exactly the same principle of Kimbo, Lesnar and Lashley. None of them would have gotten in if they didnt make their name elsewhere (and I am a huge Lesnar fan so no need to jump on me for that, but I know the truth).

i never said i want him in' date=' i am saying it makes good business sense.[/quote']

how? For a one off fight it might draw a few people but only those who want to watch him get beat yet again,he is a piss poor fighter and if you gave him a contract we would be stuck watching his awful lack of skill for more than just the one fight,kimbo is entertaining just cos some morons in the uk who are still watching big brother (long after the initial interest should have worn off) have voted for him to win a tv show that lets face it is very sad it doesnt mean he should get a contract with the biggest mma org in the world.

Yeah' date=' he trashed Kimbo a lot. But he could not resist giving him a chance, and he guaranteed good viewing figures for TUF 10 by letting Kimbo in. Like I said give Alex a 1 or 2 fight deal, just to throw out bait for potential new fans who might not have normally watched a UFC event. If it got 100000 extra buys from just having his name on a card it might hook 50000 new regular fans.

It is like fishing and exactly the same principle of Kimbo, Lesnar and Lashley. None of them would have gotten in if they didnt make their name elsewhere (and I am a huge Lesnar fan so no need to jump on me for that, but I know the truth).[/quote']

U seem to REALLY like Alex Reid.

is there something u wanna tell us all here?

Yeah' date=' he trashed Kimbo a lot. But he could not resist giving him a chance, and he guaranteed good viewing figures for TUF 10 by letting Kimbo in. Like I said give Alex a 1 or 2 fight deal, just to throw out bait for potential new fans who might not have normally watched a UFC event. If it got 100000 extra buys from just having his name on a card it might hook 50000 new regular fans.

It is like fishing and exactly the same principle of Kimbo, Lesnar and Lashley. None of them would have gotten in if they didnt make their name elsewhere (and I am a huge Lesnar fan so no need to jump on me for that, but I know the truth).[/quote']

He gave Alex Reid a chance????

He lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't even make it into the house.

how? For a one off fight it might draw a few people but only those who want to watch him get beat yet again' date='he is a piss poor fighter and if you gave him a contract we would be stuck watching his awful lack of skill for more than just the one fight,kimbo is entertaining just cos some morons in the uk who are still watching big brother (long after the initial interest should have worn off) have voted for him to win a tv show that lets face it is very sad it doesnt mean he should get a contract with the biggest mma org in the world.[/quote']

Because making money is good.

Kimbo is a MUCH bigger draw than Alex will be, he may bring in some new fans, but not loads, the vast majority of the public only care about his relationship with Jordan and I can guarantee that it won't bring in anywhere near 100,000 fans, especially when the cards are in the middle of the night and on a subscription only channel.

It's too much credibility for them to sacrifice on something that will probably not attract too much of a fanbase and anger all the fans who were already watching the sport.

U seem to REALLY like Alex Reid.

is there something u wanna tell us all here?

I am totally indifferent to him. I just think it makes good business sense to give him a fight contract because he is the most well known MMA fighter in the UK at the moment (like it or not it is the truth).

There are guys better than Kimbo out there who have a better record and worked harder too. But his 'celebrity' sells tickets. Heck i would say Kimbo right now is a bigger draw than GPS or Anderson Silva. Not saying he is better' date=' that woud be ridiculous, but I have no doubt he is more well known.[/quote']

No matter how big he is on the internet.

He's never a bigger draw than gsp or Anderson.

Tell those guys to try out for tuf (just like alex reid did)

Kimbo is a MUCH bigger draw than Alex will be' date=' he may bring in some new fans, but not loads, the vast majority of the public only care about his relationship with Jordan and I can guarantee that it won't bring in anywhere near 100,000 fans, especially when the cards are in the middle of the night and on a subscription only channel.

It's too much credibility for them to sacrifice on something that will probably not attract too much of a fanbase and anger all the fans who were already watching the sport.[/quote']

I dont see the UFC losing credibility by giving him a fight. If he loses so what, as long as the money is in the bank.

]No matter how big he is on the internet.

He's never a bigger draw than gsp or Anderson.

[/b]

Tell those guys to try out for tuf (just like alex reid did)

Well everyone who watches knows who GSP and Anderson are. The same people know who Kimbo is, but there are millions more who know who Kimbo is too and would pay to wtach him.

Like I said, this no way reflects on how goo he is compared to them, I am just comparing purely based on name pulling power.

apart from anything else i think someone like dana would absolutely oppose giving alex a contract just for the publicity because he knows his record is weak. Remember how badly he used to trash talk kimbo for similar reasons? The only way kimbo got in was through tuf' date=' and reid failed there. Plus i don't think he would be that much of a draw for that long, i'm reasonably sure people will forget about him in the next few months and stop caring, just like every bb winner before him.[/quote']

yeah' date=' he trashed kimbo a lot. But he could not resist giving him a chance, and he guaranteed good viewing figures for tuf 10 by letting kimbo in. Like i said give alex a 1 or 2 fight deal, just to throw out bait for potential new fans who might not have normally watched a ufc event. If it got 100000 extra buys from just having his name on a card it might hook 50000 new regular fans.

It is like fishing and exactly the same principle of kimbo, lesnar and lashley. None of them would have gotten in if they didnt make their name elsewhere (and i am a huge lesnar fan so no need to jump on me for that, but i know the truth).[/quote']

wow you need to be hit over the head with it dont you!

Kimbo was an internet fighting celebrity then went on tuf.

Reid went on tuf couldnt even get onto the main show he was so bad and then shagged a **** star evil **** and got on big brother to become a micro celebrity but not for fighting.

Are you still struggling with this if so you may need proffesional help,better still go online and watch a couple of his fights he sucks

I think were being had here.

Is this thread what I think it is?

No this thread is not a troll thread or a wind up. I guess some people just don't understand business. People just see a name and jump in with both feet without even giving the subject matter any thought.

I dont see the UFC losing credibility by giving him a fight. If he loses so what' date=' as long as the money is in the bank.[/quote']

They will lose huge credibility! First and foremost, they DO NOT want a guy with a record as bad as Alex's being the face of British MMA, there is no way they would want to promote that when they want business to grow over here and secondly they will not benefit financially very much at all from this, no-one who doesn't already have ESPN is going to subscribe for a monthly fee to watch that guy who won big brother a few months ago fight at 3am. It will send out all kinds of terrible messages if they let a guy not remotely based on his fighting skills. At least Kimbo was brought over because he was known as a fighter.

The UFC will just be seen as a promotion who give fighters a chance based on their profile, not their skill. They could be the worst fighter in the world but if they have a well known girlfriend then they can make it in the biggest promotion in the world. I'm not saying that's the case, just that that's the message that will be sent out, which will devalue not only the promotion but the entire sport.

wow you need to be hit over the head with it dont you!

Kimbo was an internet fighting celebrity then went on tuf.

Reid went on tuf couldnt even get onto the main show he was so bad and then shagged a **** star evil **** and got on big brother to become a micro celebrity but not for fighting.

Are you still struggling with this if so you made need proffesional help' date='better still go online and watch a couple of his fights he sucks

Yes, but back then he wasnt dating Jordan, he never won Big Borther and Millions of people had never heard of him. Now, like him or not, he IS the biggest name in UK MMA right now (biggest as in most people know him, not the best fighter).

They will lose huge credibility! First and foremost' date=' they DO NOT want a guy with a record as bad as Alex's being the face of British MMA, there is no way they would want to promote that when they want business to grow over here and secondly they will not benefit financially very much at all from this, no-one who doesn't already have ESPN is going to subscribe for a monthly fee to watch that guy who won big brother a few months ago fight at 3am. It will send out all kinds of terrible messages if they let a guy not remotely based on his fighting skills. At least Kimbo was brought over because he was known as a fighter.

[b']The UFC will just be seen as a promotion who give fighters a chance based on their profile, not their skill.[/b] They could be the worst fighter in the world but if they have a well known girlfriend then they can make it in the biggest promotion in the world. I'm not saying that's the case, just that that's the message that will be sent out, which will devalue not only the promotion but the entire sport.

Like Kimbo is a potential world champ right?

No this thread is not a troll thread or a wind up. I guess some people just don't understand business. People just see a name and jump in with both feet without even giving the subject matter any thought.

Not give it any thought?

Your wanting to give a guy a contract in the biggest mma organisation on the planet just because he wins Big Brother in England.

With no regard to the fact he isn't a good fighter at all.

And were jumping in with two feet!!! lol :P

Give me a break

i guess some people dont understand MMA go watch the business channel and leave us to talk about MMA.

stupid.jpg[/img]

Like Kimbo is a potential world champ right?

Kimbo was made to earn his place though, plus he's an enormous draw, far, far bigger than Reid will ever be. Alex was given the opportunity and failed. Now he gets into the UFC for doing nothing else since losing on TUF? No, that's not happening.

Yes' date=' but back then he wasnt dating Jordan, he never won Big Borther and Millions of people had never heard of him. Now, like him or not, he IS the biggest name in UK MMA right now (biggest as in most people know him, not the best fighter).[/quote']

na, ur wrong.

and as for business....u dont know much about business if u think he will be good for the ufc.

he will make the UFC look like a farce

u need to know that he is not a fighter, hes a small time celeb now.

does that mean any small time UK celeb who thinks they r tough can get in the UFC?

lol, ffs......hes not a pro fighter!

the media in the uk call him a 'cage' fighter because they need a 'spin' for him....a tag!

Kimbo was made to earn his place though' date=' plus he's an enormous draw, far, far bigger than Reid will ever be. Alex was given the opportunity and failed. [b']Now he gets into the UFC for doing nothing else since losing on TUF?[/b] No, that's not happening.

Just like Kimbo did?

Well, like I said. I am not trying to convince anyone he is a good fighter (I have never even seen him fight). But he has an 8-8 record so obviously he has beaten someone (yeah they might be nobodies but heck, who has Carwin beaten to earn a title shot?).

I am just saying the UFC has an opportunity to make a quick buck out of his current 15 minutes of fame. If you dont like that, fine, you are entitled to your opinion as I am mine, no need to turn it into a flame war.

Just like Kimbo did?

You mean when he beat a tough opponent in Houston Alexander? Granted, Kimbo was put on the TUF 10 finale card because more people would tune in, but it would've been insanely stupid not to have done, he is one of the biggest draws in MMA. Then he won a fight over a tough guy, thereby earning his place in the promotion.

Alex will not be a big draw like Kimbo. The only people who know him who don't already watch UFC in the UK will not subscribe to a channel to watch him fight in the middle of the night! This following will last a couple of months and 99% of the focus will be on his relationship with Jordan, not his MMA career! He won't do anything for the UFC, it is all around bad business for the UFC, despite what you seem to think. It will bring in very little money for a short period of time and lose them huge credibility.

Well' date=' like I said. I am not trying to convince anyone he is a good fighter [b'](I have never even seen him fight)[/b]. But he has an 8-8 record so obviously he has beaten someone (yeah they might be nobodies but heck, who has Carwin beaten to earn a title shot?).

I am just saying the UFC has an opportunity to make a quick buck out of his current 15 minutes of fame. If you dont like that, fine, you are entitled to your opinion as I am mine, no need to turn it into a flame war.

dont u think u should try the goods or even see the goods in action before u buy?

thats good business.

if ur gonna act like a fanny, ye shall be called one........eh, son

You mean when he beat a tough opponent in Houston Alexander? Granted' date=' Kimbo was put on the TUF 10 finale card because more people would tune in, but it would've been insanely stupid not to have done, he is one of the biggest draws in MMA. Then he won a fight over a tough guy, thereby earning his place in the promotion.

[/quote']

But Kimbo lost on TUF and still got a fight contract, thats all I am saying. What he did after is irrelevant.

But Kimbo lost on TUF and still got a fight contract' date=' thats all I am saying. What he did after is irrelevant.[/quote']

So did James McSweeney, John Madsen and Matt Mitrione, they all lost on TUF but won in the finale. Kimbo beat a really tough opponent in Houston Alexander and earned his place in the UFC.

Regardless of Kimbo, Alex Reid will not be a draw. End of.

I think that although Alex Reid has earned celebrity status through Big Brother, the majority of the people who watched that show will still know him as Katie Prices partner rather than an MMA fighter. Ried would more than likely not be able to hang with the WW division in the UFC and as soon as he lost, any casual observers he brought with him would vanish. It would also annoy the UFC's genuine UK supporters, as there are other British competitors we would much rather see in the UFC before Reid.

I watched BB and was pleased when Alex won, as he seemed like a decent bloke, but I really don't want to see him getting embarrassed in the octagon.

Archived