Getting KO'd more easily??

Technique

Can your chin get worse?

I don't know if there is any truth or science behind this, but it seems that once somebody get's severely knocked out they become more prone to being knocked out in following fights.

I know there are a lot of variables to this, like competition, mentality, opponents punching power, age and such that may be attributed to fighters getting KO'd more frequently. But to me I feel like I have seen a trend.

Some fighters who could really take a punch back in the day seem to be getting KO'd more frequently. Here are some of the fighters I feel may fit this category.

Wanderlei Silva: Back in pride Wanderlei had his reign of terror. I saw him take some incredible shots without being phased at all. Then he had his bout with Cro Cop and got Cro Copped! Ever since then he has been getting KO'd more frequently. (Henderson, and Rampage) Granted these two guys have some serious power.

Chuck Liddell Another fighter who could take a serious punch and still be able to land his own. But more recently he has been KO'd or TKO'd by: Rampage, Evans, and Shogun. The Evans one was especially devastating and could have had a lasting effect leading up to his Shogun bout.

Rashad Evans Another guy who seemed to be able to take a punch. In all honesty I don't know if it was ever truly tested until the Machida fight. But anyways Machida brutally knocked out Evans. In Evans' next bout against Thiago Silva he got hit once clean and his legs gave out. He was able to recover but it seemed like one shot from a gassed Thiago Silva would not be that powerful. I just wonder if the damage inflicted by Machida weakenedd Evans chin.

This may be just coincidence but I believe there to be some truth to this. If that's the case Michael Bisping (being on the receiving end of one of the most brutal knockouts I have ever seen) may be in for some more brutal KO's.

This also raises the question: Can your chin get better? Is there an amount of time to let your nervous system recover (probably on the months or years time scale) to allow your chin to return to normal.

As for it getting worse' date=' obviously you're body will get weaker over time. But also, once you get knocked out badly, you are always afraid of it happening again, and then your fear lets your opponent land a punch and it all goes downhill from there.[/quote']

Good point. It makes me think about when fighters say so and so was not the same fighter after he faced me. I remember Miguel Torres saying something like that.

Rashad Evans Another guy who seemed to be able to take a punch. In all honesty I don't know if it was ever truly tested until the Machida fight. But anyways Machida brutally knocked out Evans. In Evans' next bout against Thiago Silva he got hit once clean and his legs gave out. He was able to recover but it seemed like one shot from a gassed Thiago Silva would not be that powerful. I just wonder if the damage inflicted by Machida weakenedd Evans chin.

You must be pretty new to the sport then, correct?

His chin has been tested many times before he got KO'd by Lyoto. It's fine.

Thiago is one of the hardest punchers in @ 205, and the punch that he landed was clean and right on the button. The fact that he remained standing should tell you everything you need to know.

Can your chin get worse?

I don't know if there is any truth or science behind this' date=' but it seems that once somebody get's severely knocked out they become more prone to being knocked out in following fights.

I know there are a lot of variables to this, like competition, mentality, opponents punching power, age and such that may be attributed to fighters getting KO'd more frequently. But to me I feel like I have seen a trend.

Some fighters who could really take a punch back in the day seem to be getting KO'd more frequently. Here are some of the fighters I feel may fit this category.

[b']Wanderlei Silva[/b]: Back in pride Wanderlei had his reign of terror. I saw him take some incredible shots without being phased at all. Then he had his bout with Cro Cop and got Cro Copped! Ever since then he has been getting KO'd more frequently. (Henderson, and Rampage) Granted these two guys have some serious power.

Chuck Liddell Another fighter who could take a serious punch and still be able to land his own. But more recently he has been KO'd or TKO'd by: Rampage, Evans, and Shogun. The Evans one was especially devastating and could have had a lasting effect leading up to his Shogun bout.

This may be just coincidence but I believe there to be some truth to this. If that's the case Michael Bisping (being on the receiving end of one of the most brutal knockouts I have ever seen) may be in for some more brutal KO's.

This also raises the question: Can your chin get better? Is there an amount of time to let your nervous system recover (probably on the months or years time scale) to allow your chin to return to normal.

Too your last question, You can learn to take a punch correctly but you can't fix a glass jaw. meaning even if you can take the punch correctly roll with it w/e if your just not built to take certin power lights out. if the nerve in your jaw gets rattled.

Can your chin get worse?

I don't know if there is any truth or science behind this' date=' but it seems that once somebody get's severely knocked out they become more prone to being knocked out in following fights.

[b']Wanderlei Silva[/b]: Back in pride Wanderlei had his reign of terror. I saw him take some incredible shots without being phased at all. Then he had his bout with Cro Cop and got Cro Copped! Ever since then he has been getting KO'd more frequently. (Henderson, and Rampage) Granted these two guys have some serious power.

yes..look at matt hughes solid chin back in the day..but he has many fights over 40, and even though he is young 36 , hes been through wars , just like chuck liddel, back in the day no way rashad could have ko d chuck,

You must be pretty new to the sport then' date=' correct?

His chin has been tested many times before he got KO'd by Lyoto. It's fine.

Thiago is one of the hardest punchers in @ 205, and the punch that he landed was clean and right on the button. The fact that he remained standing should tell you everything you need to know.[/quote']

I'm fairly new to the sport but I have seen most of Evans fights. Who really tested his chin in the UFC before Machida? Tito I don't think so his stand-up is pretty bad. Hogar? Bonnar? Bisping? Griffin? None of these guys are known for their KO power. Liddell didn't get much of a chance to land his patented counter. He's never really been in a war. But then he got Destroyed by Machida and then against Thiago he neutralized his striking until the last round where he got rocked. Just saying seems to be connected to me. Or maybe he does have a Glass Jaw like people have been suggesting.

Great post man!

I actually don't have the answer but it seems like the general consensus is once you get knocked out, especially if it's brutal, you lose the ability to take a punch as well. Though I wouldn't no where to find the science behind this theory. Its a great question. I always thought the majority of the problem with getting knocked out is that your brain can experience swelling when you?re unconscious. That has to affect the ability of reflexes. Also I think getting knocked out is very mentally taxing for some fighters, especially if they normally do the knocking out.

yes..look at matt hughes solid chin back in the day..but he has many fights over 40' date=' and even though he is young 36 , hes been through wars , just like chuck liddel, [b']back in the day no way rashad could have ko d chuck[/b],

LMAO!!

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

That punch would have knocked out Chuck Norris!! Back in the day or not, Liddell was sleeping if that connects.

Repeated concussions result in brain damage and KO's pretty much have the same effect. Getting repeatedly KO'd is only gonna leave u more vulnerable in the future

yah and hell if you have been fighting half your life as a career, your body is only getting older, after years of punishment your not going to be able to take the same shots as you were at a younger age

I'm fairly new to the sport but I have seen most of Evans fights. Who really tested his chin in the UFC before Machida? Tito I don't think so his stand-up is pretty bad. Hogar? Bonnar? Bisping? Griffin? None of these guys are known for their KO power. Liddell didn't get much of a chance to land his patented counter. He's never really been in a war. But then he got Destroyed by Machida and then against Thiago he neutralized his striking until the last round where he got rocked. Just saying seems to be connected to me. Or maybe he does have a Glass Jaw like people have been suggesting.

Re-watch the Liddell fight. Chuck hit him cleanly more than once.

Also, go back to when he won TUF2. He was fighting Brad Imes.. and that guy was HUGE!

Can your chin get worse?

Silva's Chin is still solid he took alot of good shot from Franklin and didnt go down.

Rashad with machida it really wasnt a clock to the chin that made him go out if anyone gets hit twenty time then gets hit good repeatedly the guy is going to go out.

Good points. So it was tested but either way his chin may be worse now because of Machida.

Yeah, I get that's what you're trying to say.

IMO, I think it's still solid. Do I want to see what happens if he gets tagged by Rampage? Nah, not really. lol

But I still think he'll win that fight.

Silva's Chin is still solid he took alot of good shot from Franklin and didnt go down.

Rashad with machida it really wasnt a clock to the chin that made him go out if anyone gets hit twenty time then gets hit good repeatedly the guy is going to go out.

Yeah that fight with Rich was a war and he def took some good shots so we know he still has a great chin. I just think that maybe it is not quite as strong as it used to be because of the battles he's been in.

Yeah that fight with Rich was a war and he def took some good shots so we know he still has a great chin. I just think that maybe it is not quite as strong as it used to be because of the battles he's been in.

Also, Franklin isn't that hardest puncher out there.

I'd say his punches are slightly harder than Forrest's.

Can your chin get worse?

I've seen a lot of Rashad's fights, and in a lot of them, he gets rocked and stumbles...Bonnar, Imes, and Jardine all rocked him...i know none of these guys are really HARD hitters, but still...

how can he have a glass-jaw suddenly? If anything, he gets buckled easily, but it takes a lot to actually put him away...cause Machida is the only one to do so.

No way' date=' man.

I'm a huge Liddell fan, but Rashad's punch was one of the craziest punches I've ever seen land. EVER.

Even Hendo would have gone to sleep from that.[/quote']

man but when ppl r in their prime like when matt hughes, chuck were no 1 could stop them..look at the fight with frank trigg and matt hughes the second 1...he got hit in the nuts..then frank pounced on him and rocked him but he was still there trying 2 make a come back..now he gets knocked out easily..even matt serra rocked him..MATT SERRA.

LMAO!!

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

That punch would have knocked out Chuck Norris!! Back in the day or not' date=' Liddell was sleeping if that connects.[/quote']

+1 i dont like rashad myself but if he would of hit anyone like that they would of went to sleep. that was probably the most vicious punchin knockout ever

Wandy can take a punch. Look at the fight with Chuck. As for Chuck' date=' he had been KO'd long before his 2nd fight with Rampage and went on a run in the UFC. And Rashad has never fought fighters with the kind of power and precision that Machida and T. Silva have. So this doesn't seem to be a trend at all.[/quote']

You missed the point. I'm not saying that Wandy can't take a punch. It's a relative statement to each fighter. His ability may have slightly declined because of the vicious KO's he's suffered.

The KO's suffered from Liddell arent even comparable.

meh i think reading this lil article here might help sum Questions http://www.emedicinehealth.com/concussion/article_em.htm

Thanks that was actually pretty helpful. I pulled this segment out of the article for others.

Long-Term Side Effects.

Concussions are known to be cumulative. That is' date=' each time you have a concussion it is easier to get another concussion in the future.[/b']

Repeated concussions can lead to long-term memory loss, psychiatric disorders, and other neurologic problems.

If you have had a number of concussions, your physician likely will advise you to avoid the activities that may put you at risk for future head injuries and to discontinue contact sports. Professional athletes are particularly prone to the effects of cumulative concussions.

i gotta say wanderlei still seems tough as nails, the shot rampage landed would have ko'd a moose n he showed plenty of heart n chin in his fights with rich n chuck, i think he may b juggling too much though with moving to the states, a new career n the ufc which has to b stressful for a fighter, his brand n sponser, training , now a reality show, seems like a lot of distractions. but he's the man n a true legend so even if he losses his next 10 i'll still cheer when he heads to the cage

i gotta say wanderlei still seems tough as nails' date=' the shot rampage landed would have ko'd a moose n he showed plenty of heart n chin in his fights with rich n chuck, i think he may b juggling too much though with moving to the states, a new career n the ufc which has to b stressful for a fighter, his brand n sponser, training , now a reality show, seems like a lot of distractions. but he's the man n a true legend so even if he losses his next 10 i'll still cheer when he heads to the cage[/quote']

Wanderlei is one of my favorite fighters too. He definetely can still take a punch.

Thanks that was actually pretty helpful. I pulled this segment out of the article for others.

Long-Term Side Effects.

Concussions are known to be cumulative. That is' date=' each time you have a concussion it is easier to get another concussion in the future.[/b']

Repeated concussions can lead to long-term memory loss, psychiatric disorders, and other neurologic problems.

If you have had a number of concussions, your physician likely will advise you to avoid the activities that may put you at risk for future head injuries and to discontinue contact sports. Professional athletes are particularly prone to the effects of cumulative concussions.

I was under the impression that a chin KO isn't the same as a concussion... But the science behind it seems unsure....

I was under the impression that a chin KO isn't the same as a concussion... But the science behind it seems unsure....

Thats an interesting point. One of the definitions of a concussion is the temporary loss of consciousness so my guess would be that they are the same. But maybe the chin KO is not as severe. Or maybe worse.

sorry if im late on this but im thinkin were focusin too much on power over technique. Just watch Griffin vs. A. Silva. youl see what i mean. you can swing with power but if that button gets pushed your done.

True but either way the guy was knocked out and it my be easier in the future. It makes sense for especially brutal KO's like the cro-cop head kicks. A lot of those fighters were never the same. It may also be the case now for Mirko as Gonzaga gave him a taste of his own medicine.

Archived