Alistair Overeem

shrimp_jao

How do you guys think he would do in the UFC?

And just an extra question - how the hell did that guy get so big? Compare his body during pride to his current physique.

... the demolition-man brings it everytime but some of his 11 losses are not good,

however he would deliver wreckage to the ufc/hwd in its present condition .. :eek:

Steroids' date=' thy name is Overeem.[/quote']
Thats why he refuses to fight in the US anymore.

He doesnt want to stop taken his cheat juice.

most likely...

As far as how would he fare in the UFC...

I would say he could be a contender' date=' but probably not a champ.[/quote']

its hit or miss with overeem...

sometimes he kicks ****, other

times he gets his **** kicked.

you never know...

Alot of his losses came at 205lbs.If you watched the fight of him versus Chuck Liddell is 2003 he was also very lean and muscular.Putting on 30-35 lbs of muscle over a 5-7 year period is really not that much.Remember Frank Mir has stated he put on 20 pounds of muscle in only a few months,and nobody accusses him of the juice.Overeem may very well be on the juice,who knows.I think he would wreck the UFC HW division.He would be someone that Brock could not push around,like the other fighters.If he hit Brock with one of his patented knees,that is all she wrote.

Alistair has gotten bigger and bigger each and every fight he's had over the last year. He is definately sticking the needle in his **** and without the roids I doubt he would be competitive in the HW division. He's just too one-dimensional. He's a strong striker, but that's really all he brings to the table. He'll never leave Japan, as he's a God there and make amazing money without having to piss in a bottle after his fights. Overeem would be a middle of the road HW, but never a contender for the belt.

Alot of his losses came at 205lbs.If you watched to fight of him versus Chuck Liddell is 2003 he was also very lean and muscular.Putting on 30-35 lbs of muscle over a 5-7 year period is really not that much.Remember frank mir has stated he put on 20 pounds of muscle in only a few months' date='and nobody accusses him of the juice.Overeem may very well be on the juice,who knows.I think he would wreck the UFC HW division.He would be someone that Brock could not push around,like the other fighters.If he hit Brock with one of his patented knees,that is all she wrote.[/quote']

2/24/2007 205 lbs

11/16/2007 260 lbs

If that was even close it would be reasonable, but 55 lbs of pure muscle in less than 9 monthes.

No way in hell.

Alistair has gotten bigger and bigger each and every fight he's had over the last year. He is definately sticking the needle in his **** and without the roids I doubt he would be competitive in the HW division. He's just too one-dimensional. He's a strong striker' date=' but that's really all he brings to the table. He'll never leave Japan, as he's a God there and make amazing money without having to piss in a bottle after his fights. Overeem would be a middle of the road HW, but never a contender for the belt.[/quote']

So that is why he said "If they price was right, I would fight in the UFC"

I guess he is just better off in Japan.

Lest we all forget Mir just packed on 30 lbs in 6 months and nobody's accusing him of juicing. Overeem did not gain 60lbs in 9 months. He was about 230lbs when he fought Paul Buentello. He has packed on 60lbs in about 2 years. Not unusual.

WHat is unusual is not fighting in the US. But on sheer size it's a little uneducated to say he's juicing. We'll see if he passes a test when he defends his title here.

reem2.jpg

Alistair%20Overeem_01.jpg

overeem.jpg

Here's a few before and after photos. I usually like to give people the benefit of the doubt' date=' but there is a lot of sketchy facts surrounding this guy.[/quote']

Have a look at the size of his jaw. That is a true sign of being on the juice in body building. The jaw muscle gets worked the most when on the juice and thats why all roiders have a large jaw muscle. Woman on roids show up the worse. Their jaws look aweful. Because they eat 6+ times a day, the jaw muscle gets pumped.

Have a look at the size of his jaw. That is a true sign of being on the juice in body building. The jaw muscle gets worked the most when on the juice and thats why all roiders have a large jaw muscle. Woman on roids show up the worse. Their jaws look aweful. Because they eat 6+ times a day' date=' the jaw muscle gets pumped.[/quote']

It's not only the Jaw muscles its the jaw length.

HGH is known to cause certain bones to continue to grow. The most common is the jaw, at the ends of the jaw bone

"The most common side effect of the excess use of HGH is acromegaly. This is a medical condition that begins with the overgrowth of facial bone and connective tissue, leading to a changed appearance due to protruding jaw and eyebrow bones. This condition also leads to an abnormal growth of the hands and feet with an increased growth of hair all over the body. Contrary to increasing your life, this condition will shorten life expectancy considerably."

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/human-growth-hormone-hgh-side-effects.html

Just pulled this off the web. Not sure how professional it is, but I have heard of this before. It was talked about after one of the recent olympics with certain eastern European women.

Look at his face. I don't know but to me his profile has changed. Eating a lot and lifting doesn't change your facial bone structure.

I'm not the only one who realizes there is a 5 year difference between those pictures' date=' am I?[/quote']

Just quickly searched for some pictures. But you have a good point. In 5 years that is absolutely possible. But from what I have read the weight has been packed in a shorter amount of time.

Even so' date=' he looks to big for that to be natural. Look at his jaw.[/quote']

He's a fighter. Is Hendo on Steroids? The dude has a gigantic jaw. All fighters have large jaws, they get hit. My jaw bone got a lot thicker after getting hit on it.

But bringing up sheer size is what most people do. And let's break down the time line

2/24/2007 he fights Shogun Rua in his last fight at 205lbs

11/16/2007 he fights Paul Buentello and weighs 226lbs

That's 9 months apart and only a 20lbs difference if that as he surely had to cut weight to make 205lbs.

From 11/16/2007 - Present he has put on another 35lbs. You don't think 35lbs in almost 2 years is plausible? Really? Mir just put on 30lbs in 6 months.

On sheer size there is no evidence of steroids. It's easily possible to gain 55lbs in 2 years. Him not fighting in the US raises questions and rightfully so. But lets not act like his size is not achievable through routine weight lifting.

Lest we all forget Mir just packed on 30 lbs in 6 months and nobody's accusing him of juicing. Overeem did not gain 60lbs in 9 months. He was about 230lbs when he fought Paul Buentello. He has packed on 60lbs in about 2 years. Not unusual.

WHat is unusual is not fighting in the US. But on sheer size it's a little uneducated to say he's juicing. We'll see if he passes a test when he defends his title here.

I'm not the only one who realizes there is a 5 year difference between those pictures' date=' am I?[/quote']

.. I hear ya bro :)

Mir put on 30 pounds easily because for UFC 100 he specifically cardioed himself to death' date=' weighing in at 245 pounds, when his natural weight was much more.[/quote']

And you don't think Alistair at 6'4 had to cut weight to make 205? Even if he didn't 55lbs in 3 years is easier to believe than 30lbs in 6 months.

He's a fighter. Is Hendo on Steroids? The dude has a gigantic jaw. All fighters have large jaws' date=' they get hit. My jaw bone got a lot thicker after getting hit on it.

But bringing up sheer size is what most people do. And let's break down the time line

2/24/2007 he fights Shogun Rua in his last fight at 205lbs

11/16/2007 he fights Paul Buentello and weighs 226lbs

That's 9 months apart and only a 20lbs difference if that as he surely had to cut weight to make 205lbs.

From 11/16/2007 - Present he has put on another 35lbs. You don't think 35lbs in almost 2 years is plausible? Really? Mir just put on 30lbs in 6 months.

On sheer size there is no evidence of steroids. It's easily possible to gain 55lbs in 2 years. Him not fighting in the US raises questions and rightfully so. But lets not act like his size is not achievable through routine weight lifting.[/quote']

Bones don't get thicker. Bones can increase in Density through weight training, but as far as getting thicker it doesn't happen. The muscles can get stronger and more pronounced though.

Anyways you make some good points with the timeline.

Bones don't get thicker. Bones can increase in Density through weight training' date=' but as far as getting thicker it doesn't happen. The muscles can get stronger and more pronounced though.

Anyways you make some good points with the timeline.[/quote']

I'm no doctor but I know my jaw got thicker. Maybe not the bone, but I got hit on the jaw very good (bare knuckle) and the left side of my jaw (where I got hit) looks a lot more pronounced and much thicker than the right. Even my cheek bone on that side is less pronounced because of it.

I'm no doctor but I know my jaw got thicker. Maybe not the bone' date=' but I got hit on the jaw very good (bare knuckle) and the left side of my jaw (where I got hit) looks a lot more pronounced and much thicker than the right. Even my cheek bone on that side is less pronounced because of it.[/quote']

Hard to argue with that. But from what I have learned from the physiology courses I have taken bones don't grow outward. Bones are covered by a very dense and durable sheath called the periosteum. The periosteum is made to not give. When you weight train the stress from the weights sends signals to you body to produce more bone cells to increase the density of your bones.

As far as your jaw looking different after getting hit may have something to do with the joint on your left side. I don't know if it was a severe injury where your body had to heal and in those cases bone may be added. If a bone is broken or fractured it will grow back stronger and be more pronounced. Your cheekbone being less pronounced is harder to explain.

But I don't know there are rare cases and I know very little about this.

Hard to argue with that. But from what I have learned from the physiology courses I have taken bones don't grow outward. Bones are covered by a very dense and durable sheath called the periosteum. The periosteum is made to not give. When you weight train the stress from the weights sends signals to you body to produce more bone cells to increase the density of your bones.

As far as your jaw looking different after getting hit may have something to do with the joint on your left side. I don't know if it was a severe injury where your body had to heal and in those cases bone may be added. If a bone is broken or fractured it will grow back stronger and be more pronounced. Your cheekbone being less pronounced is harder to explain.

But I don't know there are rare cases and I know very little about this.

LOL No broken jaw, no dislocated jaw, no serious injury. It was just a really clean punch that rang me a bit but no injury or unconsciousness. But I really do feel like my jaw is thicker and stronger on the left side. I can see the difference and feel it with my hand. I may be wrong, though.

But in my experience a lot of fighters have thick jaws. Anderson Silva has an incredible wide jaw for a man his build. If you see pictures of him casual his jaw looks incredibly large. Hendo's chin and jaw is enormous, too.

LOL No broken jaw' date=' no dislocated jaw, no serious injury. It was just a really clean punch that rang me a bit but no injury or unconsciousness. But I really do feel like my jaw is thicker and stronger on the left side. I can see the difference and feel it with my hand. I may be wrong, though.

But in my experience a lot of fighters have thick jaws. Anderson Silva has an incredible wide jaw for a man his build. If you see pictures of him casual his jaw looks incredibly large. Hendo's chin and jaw is enormous, too.[/quote']

I think the process is called "calcification", though I'm not sure if it applies to the facial region.

I remember when I used to train strictly Muay-Thai, my shin bone became hard, and extremely sharp due to repeated blows.

I think the process is called "calcification"' date=' though I'm not sure if it applies to the facial region.

I remember when I used to train strictly Muay-Thai, my shin bone became hard, and extremely sharp due to repeated blows.[/quote']

I did muay thai as well but the process of shin bone exercises in MT is microfracturing. It's creating microfractures that heal the bone stronger. Not sure that's any different than getting hit on the jaw or not.

LOL No broken jaw' date=' no dislocated jaw, no serious injury. It was just a really clean punch that rang me a bit but no injury or unconsciousness. But I really do feel like my jaw is thicker and stronger on the left side. I can see the difference and feel it with my hand. I may be wrong, though.

But in my experience a lot of fighters have thick jaws. Anderson Silva has an incredible wide jaw for a man his build. If you see pictures of him casual his jaw looks incredibly large. Hendo's chin and jaw is enormous, too.[/quote']

You know you may be right. What do professors know about getting hit in the jaw lol. I could see your body responding to trauma like that in a positive way by adding bone.

Another thing to think about is maybe that's why these guys are great fighters. Not that it gives them better striking, but maybe a better ability to take a punch. Although to me I think it would be the muscle strength. I've trained a little in Martial Arts by I'm not a fighter. Do fighters normally clench their jaw during a match? Getting hit in the jaw pinches a cluster of nerves just below your years or slightly behind your ears depending on your face causing you to temporarily lose consciousness . So I don't see increasing jaw size and thickness would be much of a factor.

I think the process is called "calcification"' date=' though I'm not sure if it applies to the facial region.

I remember when I used to train strictly Muay-Thai, my shin bone became hard, and extremely sharp due to repeated blows.[/quote']

From what I have read this process is just to increase the density of the bone. Muay-Thai guys repeatedly kick or elbow things to cause this. The trauma and stress creates tiny fractures resulting in calcification and harder bones. If they are to the outside of the bone (periosteum or sheath) you may get bumps and ridges.

From what I have read this process is just to increase the density of the bone. Muay-Thai guys repeatedly kick or elbow things to cause this. The trauma and stress creates tiny fractures resulting in calcification and harder bones. This is most often to the interior of the bone though. If they are to the outside of the bone (periosteum or sheath) you may get bumps and ridges but these are most often more serious injuries. It's possible that this may happen to the jaw but I don't know.

Getting hit in the jaw hard enough to cause the micro fractures is prob enough to knock you out and with Concussions being cumulative it's prob not worth it.

You know you may be right. What do professors know about getting hit in the jaw lol. I could see your body responding to trauma like that in a positive way by adding bone.

Another thing to think about is maybe that's why these guys are great fighters. Not that it gives them better striking' date=' but maybe a better ability to take a punch. Although to me I think it would be the muscle strength. I've trained a little in Martial Arts by I'm not a fighter. Do fighters normally clench their jaw during a match? Getting hit in the jaw pinches a cluster of nerves just below your years or slightly behind your ears depending on your face causing you to temporarily lose consciousness . So I don't see increasing jaw size and thickness would be much of a factor.[/quote']

Well it really depends on where you get hit. There is a sweet spot than can knock anyone out. But some people do have a higher threshold. If anybody gets hit on the right spot they will get knocked out. But then there are guys -- like Overeem even though I like him -- who can be knocked out with a shot that would take multiple to knockout a guy like, say, Rampage.

A strong jaw does make a difference and just like microfracturing the shin bone in muay thai, it is possible to strengthen the jaw bone when getting hit on it. At least, in my theory, but I'm no doctor. Whether that's thickness or density I have no idea. Biut I can tell you my jaw looks thicker where I received a monstrous right hand.

It's just too coincidental that most fighters who can take a punch have enormous jaw lines or chin bones. If you look at Dan Henderson early in his MMA career, his jaw was not as thick as it is now.

Well it really depends on where you get hit. There is a sweet spot than can knock anyone out. But some people do have a higher threshold. If anybody gets hit on the right spot they will get knocked out. But then there are guys -- like Overeem even though I like him -- who can be knocked out with a shot that would take multiple to knockout a guy like' date=' say, Rampage.

A strong jaw does make a difference and just like microfracturing the shin bone in muay thai, it is possible to strengthen the jaw bone when getting hit on it. At least, in my theory, but I'm no doctor. Whether that's thickness or density I have no idea. Biut I can tell you my jaw looks thicker where I received a monstrous right hand.

It's just too coincidental that most fighters who can take a punch have enormous jaw lines or chin bones. If you look at Dan Henderson early in his MMA career, his jaw was not as thick as it is now.[/quote']

Fair enough. You make a lot of sense i'm not so sure on the Dan Henderson statement because he had a very distinct Jaw during his Olympic wrestling stint but it could be thicker now. Anyways this was a good discussion. Not sure if we have a clear answer but it's something I will keep in mind.

2/24/2007 205 lbs

11/16/2007 260 lbs

If that was even close it would be reasonable' date=' but 55 lbs of pure muscle in less than 9 monthes.

No way in hell.[/quote']

Please check your facts.He weighed in at 224lbs when he fought Buentello on the day you listed.He probably weighed in at 224lbs before he cut weight to get to LH.If you believe Mir can put on 20lbs of muscle in a couple of months,why can't Overeem be able to? Overeem's frame is much more capable of doing it than Mir's.He may or may not be on the juice.He gets the benefit of the doubt untill he pops a positive test.

I had already made a post a long time ago that his results ARE very possible depending how you go on to do so (and I'm not saying with steroids), his weight jumps aren't completely unheard of and I did my research (But the forums delete threads after a certain time) and I had his weight in every fight since his last fight in the US. Overall, he might be but he also has a good chance he isn't. His brother his pretty big too so genetics has a lot to do with it.

he would easily be top 5, in a kind of alves role for HW division, Not the best technique overall, but his standup and strength is deadly and you try to avoid him if you can.

I think lesnar can sit on him for 5 rounds

I think mir can submit him

I think dos santos can KO him

I think velasquez can pressure him to a decision.

But I think he can knee them all in the face just as easy.

he would easily be top 5' date=' in a kind of alves role for HW division, Not the best technique overall, but his standup and strength is deadly and you try to avoid him if you can.

I think lesnar can sit on him for 5 rounds

I think mir can submit him

I think dos santos can KO him

I think velasquez can pressure him to a decision.

But I think he can knee them all in the face just as easy.[/quote']

that knee to the face he did at k1 dynamite was nasty.

Archived