Fight report

RollingStoned

Sooo guys, here's the report on my 155 debut last night...

First off, (anyone in the Northern VA area knows lol) they were calling for a "light dusting of snow" try about 6 inches... So I'm driving my RWD Mustang to the fights in blinding snow to make it in time for registration, physicals, etc etc... THEN We played the hurry up and wait game... Card set to start at 7, first fight kicks off around 8:30! Fun stuff...

So anyways, I have one corner with me who knows my style. He kinda got nervous, with this being his first corner. So he wanted someone to help... In steps a guy I've known for years but not so much from MMA, so he has no clue about my style, strategy, strengths or weaknesses... I let him get into my head with taking the fight to him and striking with him. Striking not being my strongest point...

So I get in there and he won't look at me in the staredown, I'm amped beyond belief, and I just can't see it going any way other than how I want it to.

Bell rings! I throw a couple jabs out, backing him up. I throw my jab, jab, cross which allows me inside for double underhooks. I force him to the cage. In total control of his body, I'm thinking 'where to go next?' FOOT STOMP! Lol And a crucial one, the whole arena goes "OOOOOOOO!"

Still against the cage, I work to see if I can get the 50/50 Judo toss. Realizing he's doing a great job lowering his weight and avoiding, I change levels for the takedown. He drops his hips and defends, I then go back for the toss... Mistake made...

He ended up wrapping his legs and falling into mount. He reigns for a sec, I buck him off. As we stand, I have a guillotine (a la Alexandre Noguiera) but can't secure it all the way. He ends up backing out, as I fall off, mount again! I roll, giving up my back figuring with my sub defense I'll catch a breather... He doesn't rush the sub, I get reigned on for a sec, most of which hit ears and back of the head! I can hear the ref yelling "stop hitting him in the back of the head! Watch his ears!" multiple times. Hoping the ref'll stand us back up and let me gather my bearings, well he didn't, the kid locks up a RNC Hughes-Trigg II style with the palm in palm grip. But he doesn't have my back clean, more off to the side... So as I'm reaching behind my head to peel the arm off, I realize there's no arm... So I reached to try and find it, it was just too far behind my head and too late. Much like Trigg, I had no choice but to tap late in the 1st... Sorry guys :(

Everyone loses man, I have even posted the video of my loss on these forums. Just try to take something positive away from it and then formulate a better plan for preperation of the next fight. Critique everything, from your pre-fight diet, to the actual fight and everything in between. Wish you the best of luck in your future training and fights.

Ah man' date=' unlucky, sorry to hear that. You just need to learn from this and move onwards and upwards. Thanks for posting such a detailed report! Did you get to meet Aaron Riley in the end?[/quote']

I DID actually! He was pretty laid back with his Kangol hat on lol I told him what a warrior he was and how that Spencer Fisher fight earned me the utmost respect for him. He told me good fight, can't beat that right?

But I'm more upset today about the fight because other than a few marks on my face, all of my knots are on the back of the head. I was very gracious in defeat though, clapped for the guy, gave him a hug after he tapped me. Pretty much all the stuff I didn't believe I had the sportsmanship in me to do lol

I talked to him (my opponent) backstage afterwards, just ya know, to be cool and all. I said, so how long ya been training? Keep in mind, amatuer MMA matches you up by experience level... And I'm about 9 months in... He goes, "ooo about 3 years hardcore"

Thinkin' I got sandbagged lol

Everyone loses man' date=' I have even posted the video of my loss on these forums. Just try to take something positive away from it and then formulate a better plan for preperation of the next fight. Critique everything, from your pre-fight diet, to the actual fight and everything in between. Wish you the best of luck in your future training and fights.[/quote']

Thanks Kevbo, just wish I could've done The Busey more justice... But I guess even The Buse lost to Mel Gibson's triangle lol

But in all seriousness, it was my first weight cut. Though it wasn't much, from about 165-170 to 155, I told my corner I just felt drained in the AM. My muscles just didn't feel like they were all there. So I'm gonna have to research it a little more and try to figure out a quick refuel for next time

Thanks Kevbo' date=' just wish I could've done The Busey more justice... But I guess even The Buse lost to Mel Gibson's triangle lol

But in all seriousness, it was my first weight cut. Though it wasn't much, from about 165-170 to 155, I told my corner I just felt drained in the AM. My muscles just didn't feel like they were all there. So I'm gonna have to research it a little more and try to figure out a quick refuel for next time[/quote']

Pedialyte and pasta has done the trick for me in the past... But it's good that you can look at everything you did in an intelligent critiquing manner. Don't get too down, you'll come back around.

Damn' date=' that sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. At least you retired with a positive record, better than Elvis Sinosic is doing :P.[/quote']

ha... Actually he's still better of then me because I never made the big time. Honestly I would rather make it to the big time and lose then be awesome in amateur orgs and never get a chance. Just my opinion. ;)

ha... Actually he's still better of then me because I never made the big time. Honestly I would rather make it to the big time and lose then be awesome in amateur orgs and never get a chance. Just my opinion. ;)

Haha, I know exactly what you mean, I would just never pass up an opportunity to make fun of Sinosic :D

Archived