BJ Penn vs Demian Maia

Gu31232

I am not sure what people would think about this match-up or if it could ever even happen. Demian is probably on of the smallest middle weights in the UFC and could easily cut down to welterweight in my opinion. BJ has fought at welterweight before, and I am still fascinated at this match up and if it ever took place. This would be a fight between probably the best Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioners in MMA and I don't know who would win. I would have BJ by TKO but I think that Demian is one of the guys who could tap BJ out. This will probably never happen, but I would like to hear some opinions on the outcome of this fight.

BJ Penn. Demian Maia is one dimensional. Also his moves only work if he can take you down. I don't think he'd be able to get BJ down, and even if he got him there, BJ is probably close to being on par with him there. I think Maia might be better, but he'd have to spend a long time trying to put BJ into a submission. BJ's boxing would most likely KO Maia in no time. Maia, to me, isn't really all that great. He's just a jiu jitsu ace. If you're one dimensional in the UFC, people will just study your tape, and then they will come up with a gameplan to follow to defeat you. I bet that we start seeing Maia lose more often, as his striking is honestly as bad as Marcus Jones, which is saying alot.

How is it stupid? It could happen. Read the thread before you comment.

MMA Match: BJ Penn by KO

BJJ Match: Maia

i did and its stupid, all these threads about fights that will never happen. and like i said bj would win if you want to compare technique alone. People forget how good bjs bjj is because of his striking.

yes but in a jiu-jitsu match damien would win (grappling)

dont be so sure hes definetly the best at mw but theres not a huge range in the ufc of high caliber middleweight bjj tactitions. tkae into mind his takedown defense, his flexability, and the fact that he earned a black belt in what is it like 3 years, thats unheard of.

Unless you;'re GSP.

Then you can take him down anytime you want.

Yeah cuz in fight 1 round 1 he was just SLAMMIN HIM.. oh wait. Grats to GSP for taking down a gassed BJ Penn. Not taking anything away from GSP, he's amazing at the double-leg, but BJ was clearly overconfident and out of shape.

BJ would beat Maia, though i can't help but think Maia might be able to take him down, Yes BJ is near impossible to ground, but Maia is also 2 weight classes bigger. Still, BJ would win no matter where it goes (BJ has better MMA JJ).

dont be so sure hes definetly the best at mw but theres not a huge range in the ufc of high caliber middleweight bjj tactitions. tkae into mind his takedown defense' date=' his flexability, and the fact that he earned a black belt in what is it like 3 years, thats unheard of.[/quote']

but its not, because its happened

dont be so sure hes definetly the best at mw but theres not a huge range in the ufc of high caliber middleweight bjj tactitions. tkae into mind his takedown defense' date=' his flexability, and the fact that he earned a black belt in what is it like 3 years, thats unheard of.[/quote']

Dude are you crazy?

Palhares

Almeida

Marquardt

Belfort

Silva

Leites

Gouveia

are all (or at least were) high level MW BJJ practitioners. Some have changed weightclasses or moved on from the UFC, but all were once in the same division at the same time as Maia

Two of those names are EASILY worldclass in BJJ ( Palhares and Almeida) possibly 3 with Leites

Dude are you crazy?

Palhares

Almeida

Marquardt

Belfort

Silva

Leites

Gouveia

are all (or at least were) high level MW BJJ practitioners. Some have changed weightclasses or moved on from the UFC' date=' but all were once in the same division at the same time as Maia

Two of those names are EASILY worldclass in BJJ ( Palhares and Almeida) possibly 3 with Leites[/quote']

could even go outside the ufc and include jarcare,

BJ Penn. Demian Maia is one dimensional. Also his moves only work if he can take you down. I don't think he'd be able to get BJ down' date=' and even if he got him there, BJ is probably close to being on par with him there. I think Maia might be better, but he'd have to spend a long time trying to put BJ into a submission. BJ's boxing would most likely KO Maia in no time. Maia, to me, isn't really all that great. He's just a jiu jitsu ace. If you're one dimensional in the UFC, people will just study your tape, and then they will come up with a gameplan to follow to defeat you. I bet that we start seeing Maia lose more often, as his striking is honestly [b']as bad as Marcus Jones, which is saying alot[/b].

Apparently so is his chin

I actually think that Maia would win

BJ doesn't do well at a weight higher than LW, he's what 1-3( hughes, gspx2 )

Maia could pull guard or he could take him down, he's gotten 11 middleweights down, who's to say that he couldn't get BJ down (i know his TD defense is superb) but he's to big for BJ

He's only need to get him down once to perhaps lock something in, we're talking about a 7 time WORLD CHAMPION here

I think that Demian Maia would totally school Penn...if it was a Gi only BJJ grappling tournament, otherwise Maia would be picked apart by BJ's boxing and be absolutely frustrated with BJ's takedown defence. I would expect that Maia would constantly fall down into guard just like Leites did against Anderson Silva.

I think that Demian Maia would totally school Penn...if it was a Gi only BJJ grappling tournament' date=' otherwise Maia would be picked apart by BJ's boxing and be absolutely frustrated with BJ's takedown defence. I would expect that Maia would constantly fall down into guard just like Leites did against Anderson Silva.[/quote']

BJ wouldn't have the power to hurt Maia. He would wade through the shots and get the TD. Maia hasn't really been able to display his striking either, which the trainers at Wand and BlackHouse say is very solid. He was outclassed by Marquardt who is a very good striker with KO power. Maia also has very good takedowns. He took down Sonnan, who is a great wrestler and the same size as Maia. Maia would bully Penn to the ground and end up with a sub or a UD

I like Penn a lot, he's one of my all time favorite fighters, but this would be a bad matchup for him

I think it would be much like Shinya Aoki vs. BJ Penn which I think BJ would win.

I don't think that comparison works. Maia has decent stand-up and is MUCH bigger than Penn.

Aoki is a tiny fella and has ZERO stand-up.

Even if BJ put on the weight, he is still much shorter with a shorter reach. Maia would get him down and once he did it would be over. BJ is very good on the ground, but even a guy with BJs skill, it would still just be a matter of time for Maia to win. He is on another level

BJ wouldn't have the power to hurt Maia. He would wade through the shots and get the TD. Maia hasn't really been able to display his striking either' date=' which the trainers at Wand and BlackHouse say is very solid. He was outclassed by Marquardt who is a very good striker with KO power. Maia also has very good takedowns. He took down Sonnan, who is a great wrestler and the same size as Maia. Maia would bully Penn to the ground and end up with a sub or a UD

I like Penn a lot, he's one of my all time favorite fighters, but this would be a bad matchup for him[/quote']

I don't think that comparison works. Maia has decent stand-up and is MUCH bigger than Penn.

Aoki is a tiny fella and has ZERO stand-up.

Even if BJ put on the weight' date=' he is still much shorter with a shorter reach. Maia would get him down and once he did it would be over. BJ is very good on the ground, but even a guy with BJs skill, it would still just be a matter of time for Maia to win. He is on another level[/quote']

Fully agree with ^^ and I like the Sonnen reference, the guy who repetitively took down Yushin Okami who is no joke at wrestling

Randy Couture has stated that he had difficulty taking down Penn. I didn't say that BJ would knock out Maia, but I said he would pick him apart. Maia's face would like like GSP's did after they fought the first time. I think Maia is great, but BJ's take down defence cannot be compared to Sonnen's wrestling. BJ's flexibility, balance and core strength is amazing. As stated before, Maia has the better BJJ pedigree, which is amazing to say compared to Penn.

Randy Couture has stated that he had difficulty taking down Penn. I didn't say that BJ would knock out Maia' date=' but I said he would pick him apart. Maia's face would like like GSP's did after they fought the first time. I think Maia is great, but BJ's take down defence cannot be compared to Sonnen's wrestling. BJ's flexibility, balance and core strength is amazing. As stated before, Maia has the better BJJ pedigree, which is amazing to say compared to Penn.[/quote']

Randy had "trouble" bring him down, but he still got him down. Randy also uses the clinch and dirty boxing more than his Greco TDs. Maia would grab him and jump guard, and I don't care how good your TDD is, when someone as big as Maia has all his body weight on you, you're coming down with him. He would likely get him down with regular TDs though

Comparing a great wrestler with a great sprawl getting taken down by Maia is a fair comparison because they are the same size and he was able to do that. Size would make a huge difference in this theoretical fight, so of course I'm going to bring it up.

BJ would land shots, you're right, but Maia could take those shots while closing the distance and cutting off the cage on him, press BJ against the cage and score the TD, at that point its over

Randy had "trouble" bring him down' date=' but he still got him down. Randy also uses the clinch and dirty boxing more than his Greco TDs. Maia would grab him and jump guard, and I don't care how good your TDD is, when someone as big as Maia has all his body weight on you, you're coming down with him. He would likely get him down with regular TDs though

Comparing a great wrestler with a great sprawl getting taken down by Maia is a fair comparison because they are the same size and he was able to do that. Size would make a huge difference in this theoretical fight, so of course I'm going to bring it up.

BJ would land shots, you're right, but Maia could take those shots while closing the distance and cutting off the cage on him, press BJ against the cage and score the TD, at that point its over[/quote']

I Agree. Demian is the best BJJ fighter in MMA. Against BJ he would have disadvantage in stand-up, but Demian has wins against Ronaldo Jacare Souza

And Gabriel Gonzaga in grappling. BJ is good on ground but Demian would Handle him if he gets him down.

hahahahah ha. BJ's take down defence is amongst the best in the sport GSP sean shirk and mat hughes all had "trouble" taking him down as did randy maybe they all got him down in the end but demian maia isn't any of those guys he isn't even close. theirs no way he could take BJ without a tranquelizer gun, demain maia is the best BJJ practitioner in the UFC but he's incomplete as a fighter BJ would dominate him from start to finish.

Archived