Who else would enjoy having weekly fights?

Andrewgoodwin

Sort of like friday night fights, i would enjoy having some sort of MMA to see every week, sometimes waiting between PPVs, WEC, and strike force events can be a very, very long month, it feels like forever since i saw UFC 108, and 109 isnt untill next week, i hope some day they could establish a weekly MMA event, this would improve my life by great strides

they don't have enough fighters to pull this off. you gotta think medical suspensions put fighters out after fights and it would eventually catch up. plus i doubt they want to spend the money paying fighters every week. even if it isn't much.

I know what you mean. But I agree with quality over quantity.

As it stands we average probably 1.5 cards per month in the UFC. If you add in the fight nights etc..to the numbered events. Not bad.

I'm sure we'll see 2 events per month within a reasonable amount of time. And if they can keep up with that I'm happy. The wait between can be long at times...but it's alright...makes us appreciate it all that much more when we do have the events.

Cheers

-DR

On one hand I say let's see fights every week' date=' but on the other hand I don't want to see the market get too saturated and MMA to grow stale if that's even possible.[/quote']

This....

im a firm believer in quality over quantity.

look @ espn's friday night fights' date=' bunch of muppets fighting every week, i dont wanna see that, i wanna see high quality fighters and high quality fights[/quote']

and That.

Though I love MMA and always want to see more of it, I want to know that it's going to be a good match when I see it. And with the relatively low number of viable promotions, it would have to be mostly new or unheard of fighters, a la' Friday Night Fights. I'm a big fan of watching up and comers, but not sure if I wanna see it every week. Mainly for the fear of over saturation.

they don't have enough fighters to pull this off. you gotta think medical suspensions put fighters out after fights and it would eventually catch up.

im a firm believer in quality over quantity.

I know what you mean. But I agree with quality over quantity.

Though I love MMA and always want to see more of it' date=' I want to know that it's going to be a good match when I see it.[/quote']

agree with all this. i do want to see more mma on tv but not at the expense of quality fights

If we kept the quality and got the wait time down to 2 weeks..2 and a half weeks. I'd be alright.

Cheers

-DR

The UFC is pushing very close to that right now, with an event around every 6 weeks or so.

I agree with what you said earlier, I think by the end of the calender year UFC will be holding an average of 1.5 events a year. I'm guessing one every 4 weeks or so. With over 300 fighters under contract right now, they can still put on quality shows at that rate too.

Honestly, I'm very happy with that. Frankly, that's about all I could afford LOL. I'm a new home owner in today's economy-I'm broke. UFC events cost me 60 bucks, plus another 30 for the steaks and beer. It takes me a month just to set aside the 90 bucks to properly watch a UFC event!

The UFC is pushing very close to that right now' date=' with an event around every 6 weeks or so.

I agree with what you said earlier, I think by the end of the calender year UFC will be holding an average of 1.5 events a year. I'm guessing one every 4 weeks or so. With over 300 fighters under contract right now, they can still put on quality shows at that rate too.

Honestly, I'm very happy with that. Frankly, that's about all I could afford LOL. I'm a new home owner in today's economy-I'm broke. UFC events cost me 60 bucks, plus another 30 for the steaks and beer. It takes me a month just to set aside the 90 bucks to properly watch a UFC event![/quote']

HA! Good to hear you do UFC viewing right!

And congrats on the new home. Hopefully you purchased within the last year...because if you did...that house is going to pay about between 30-50% of itself off in about 5 years. So it was a great decision. If however you bought about 3 years ago...you have my condolences *chuckle*

As for the UFC per month/wait time....yeah...we're closing in on what I'd consider to be optimal. Once a week is a bit much...but if we got to the point where there was on average one PPV event and one "fight night" style event every month...I'd be MORE than happy.

Cheers sir

-DR

We bought it in '08, so yeah we're getting all the fancy tax breaks. Sucks that we have to pay it all back over time though (something the gov wasn't up front about, another topic for another forum, that has no place here).

And watching the UFC with me is like a party. I have several friends who are as hardcore fans as I am, so we make a deal out of it. Guinness and steaks with home made marinade. It's also cool that we're all grapplers, so we can discuss the fight as it happens intelligently.

But yeah, one big fight a month, with a UFN mixed in every so often, that's fine. Any more and I would constantly be doing extra cardio to work the beer calories off. (Downside of being a big dude who drinks stout beer-it stays with me LOL). On a more serious note I don't think I could get as hyped up for a fight if there was one every week. Part of the draw of a big UFC card is the anticipation. Analyzing all the fights on the card, guessing who will do what. Talking about it with other fans. That's part of the fun for me. Weekly fights would negate that. Fights would become part of the week's routine, they would be part of everyone's DVR record list next to House and The Biggest Loser.

We bought it in '08' date=' so yeah we're getting all the fancy tax breaks. Sucks that we have to pay it all back over time though (something the gov wasn't up front about, another topic for another forum, that has no place here).

And watching the UFC with me is like a party. I have several friends who are as hardcore fans as I am, so we make a deal out of it. Guinness and steaks with home made marinade. It's also cool that we're all grapplers, so we can discuss the fight as it happens intelligently.

But yeah, one big fight a month, with a UFN mixed in every so often, that's fine. Any more and I would constantly be doing extra cardio to work the beer calories off. (Downside of being a big dude who drinks stout beer-it stays with me LOL). On a more serious note I don't think I could get as hyped up for a fight if there was one every week. Part of the draw of a big UFC card is the anticipation. Analyzing all the fights on the card, guessing who will do what. Talking about it with other fans. That's part of the fun for me. Weekly fights would negate that. Fights would become part of the week's routine, they would be part of everyone's DVR record list next to House and The Biggest Loser.[/quote']

Regarding the house. The "8000 first time home buyers credit" is nice. But really the biggest benefit is taking advantage of this crash in the market. You probably saved a decent amount just because you bought when you did..regardless of the credit. Let's say...a home was worth 200,000 in 2005...that same home in 2008...was probably worth...140,000 or less...So you get to pick up that 60k over the course of the next few years. A family member of mine just bought a house for 160k that was appraised 5 years ago at 320k.

Intelligent conversation about upcoming fights is always good times. Especially when they are as into it as you are.

And you are right...if UFC cards were weekly they would be too routine. 2 weeks is good enough...and the "fight night" cards could be the up and comers and people on a comeback....and the PPV's can be for the title fights and contenders...so it would work out well...see the new talent once a month....and the big names once a month. That way we'd still have the anticipation but it wouldn't seem like forever..and we'd get our fix on a pretty regular basis. *chuckle*

Cheers sir!

-DR

4 Problems with this idea.

1. Preparing for an opponent takes longer than a week.

2. They would have to pay every fighter that fights each week, which would be expense.

3. Medical Issues with fighters would cause this to fail.

4. There isn't enough fighters that can be put together to fight each week of each month for a year.

4 Problems with this idea.

1. Preparing for an opponent takes longer than a week.

2. They would have to pay every fighter that fights each week' date=' which would be expense.

3. Medical Issues with fighters would cause this to fail.

4. There isn't enough fighters that can be put together to fight each week of each month for a year.[/quote']

Valid points if it were the same fighters every week, This isn't Vale Tudo though, I don't think thats what the OP meant.

And in regards to the amount of fighters...just using the UFC as an example: The UFC currently has more than 300 fighters under contract between all the weight classes. Take away the close to 70 that are well known on the current PPV rosters, that still leaves enough to put on a 5-fight card every week with no repeats. I don't want that to happen, but it's feasible.

No way, as much as that sounds good and as much as I want to see an upcoming ppv NOW! I've realized that the countdowns, anticipation, and hype make the fight ten times better. So that when the fight actually arrives, you are on the edge of your seat waiting to see the fight.

No way' date=' as much as that sounds good and as much as I want to see an upcoming ppv NOW! I've realized that the countdowns, anticipation, and hype make the fight ten times better. So that when the fight actually arrives, you are on the edge of your seat waiting to see the fight.[/quote']

Exactly. I said as much earlier. I just didn't want the OP to be misrepresented.

Archived