Why do fighters HALF-TAP ??

EsaT

Do you have any idea why some fighters half tap when they are in a sub and about to lose.Of course this happens when they are in a choke coz if it isnt a choke and u dont tap your gonna break something so nobody does that but i dont like it when a guy half taps.You know, they do the 1 touch at the mat like they are saying " mehh, alright here you go, you win". It just seems very arrogant to me you know?Why do you half tap? Either tap like a man and admit your loss or dont tap and go unconcious.But dont freaking half tap.

Heres what that half **** tap translates for me : " Hey man, you got me in a bad position and in sub by pure %100 luck and i dont respect you at all but you know, i gotta tap coz i dont wanna go unconcious and look bad in front of all these people, so here you go im gonna give you a half **** tap because your **** as a fighter and i dont respect you at all so enjoy your half **** unearned win ill kick your **** another time "

I dont know if there is a reasonable explanation to it but it makes a fighter look unprofessional and like and *******.Like in the fight with Babalu vs David Heath.Babalu kicked davids **** all night and gave him a complete dominating brutal bloody beating and David Heath HALF **** TAPPED when he was in an anaconda.I mean really?David talked all the **** and disrespected Babalu although he knew he was inferior to Babalu, got his **** handed to him and he still half tapped? I dont get it really.At least know to accept defeat like a man.What do you guys think about this ??

Cant fighters summon enough strength before a blackout to tap appropriately or they do it just because they are too damn arrogant??

Well...when a fighter is in the process of losing conciousness they can get sluggish which can result in the "half tap" you describe.

A friend of mine once was going to see how long he could last in a RNC while his sister who had never heard of the choke in her life and was about 140 pounds was applying the choke.

He literally told his sister...here's what it's called...here's what you do...

He sat in a stool..she applied the choke...at roughly 4 seconds his arm came up from his lap toward her arm. Then...magically...his arm stopped in mid air..and he rested his hand back in his lap...I thought...wow...he's really pushing for a personal best here...then he hit 7 seconds..and I was thinking...dude...not bad...way to tough it out and keep calm..

At 8 seconds his body spasmed his sister screamed and he hit the floor unconcious..at a little over 4 seconds he was losing conciousness...and he lost the control of his body while his arm was in transit from his lap to his sisters arm...his will said TAP TAP TAP...which is why his hand sloooowly...fell for a second back to his lap....

So yeah...blood chokes are weird things man...

Other reasons for the semi tap..is the indecision.."Can I get out? Maybe?" "I THINK I'm okay..am I?"

etc...

Cheers

-DR

I'll agree with DarkReflection - I've been choked out before' date=' in similar cricumstances and it seems to me that the point where you have decided you've had enough is about 1/2 a second ahead of the point where decisions don't matter anym....zzzzzzzzzzzz[/quote']

This is so true. I remember one of my best friends, karate black belt with some jiu-jitsu training, put me in some sort of choke. This was quite a few years ago - I think late middle school or early high school - and he put me in some sort of choke. I was unfamiliar with the tap out and just figured he would let go since we were just goofing off. So once I realize I'm in some trouble I went to say "let go", couldn't and went to move my hand up to his face and give a thumbs down and maybe moved it six inches and fell asleep. The only thing funnier was when I woke up and he realized I was okay, he goes "Dude you're supposed to tap."

Oh good times. This is also the reason why it's funny to me to watch how people react after they've been choked completely unconscious just because it is such a weird feeling to get your senses back. Kind of have to experience to full grasp at how bizarre of a feeling it is.

This is so true. I remember one of my best friends' date=' karate black belt with some jiu-jitsu training, put me in some sort of choke. This was quite a few years ago - I think late middle school or early high school - and he put me in some sort of choke. I was unfamiliar with the tap out and just figured he would let go since we were just goofing off. So once I realize I'm in some trouble I went to say "let go", couldn't and went to move my hand up to his face and give a thumbs down and maybe moved it six inches and fell asleep. The only thing funnier was when I woke up and he realized I was okay, he goes "Dude you're supposed to tap."

Oh good times. This is also the reason why it's funny to me to watch how people react after they've been choked completely unconscious just because it is such a weird feeling to get your senses back. Kind of have to experience to full grasp at how bizarre of a feeling it is.[/quote']

When I was still in boot camp people would have me put blood chokes on them to pass out. we did this as a way to pass time and have some fun. This along with using an industrial stapler on our ribs to see who could take the most staples to the flank. I gave up at 26 but whatever....

Any how It was a unanimus decsion that I was the best at applyign the chokes and sice I was one of the biggest guys in the bay I could also catch you when you went out. So this one sunday evening we gathered up and somone stepped forward to get choked out.. i placed my pams on each side of his adam's apple placed my fingers along the back of his neck and pinched off the blood flow. 99% of the guys I had done went out in less than 6 seconds. The just kept staring back at me for a good 20-30 seconds. I was really getting confused untill I noticed he was not blinking. Then all of a sudden his eyes rolled back in his head and he motorboated an exhale and spat all over me. Which lead me to drop him and he landed on the floor and started to convolse.

Eventually he came to and said he had the wierdest experince when he was out about Jesus being Hue Heffnor and God being a mongoose. All the angels were naked rabbits with boobiesss and angel wings with human heads and rabbit ears. I actually think Had I held it longer he would have died. ahhh good times..

-Face

maybe they are to exhausted

maybe they are half unconcious

maybe there limbs are tied up in such a way its hard for them to tap

maybe they don't want to show to much pain and tap like they're playing the bongo's and instead do a so called "half **** tap" to say yep you got me. and not: OWWW MY FREAKIN ARM tap tap tap tap tap tap tap

I actually think Had I held it longer he would have died. ahhh good times..
That sounds like a hoot, Cryptic Soldier!

The half taps I've seen never made sense to me either, so this explains a lot. Half tapping acquiescence is a little like mumbling the statement "OK, I give up." Instead of the referee having to figure it out, maybe the other fighter should decide if the tap was sufficient. "What was that? Was that a tap? Tap it again...so everyone can see! Again! I'm not sure that was completely sincere. Tap it with feeling this time!"

I think that would be an improvement.

No offense but that is a really dumb thing to be bothered by.

co-sign

Half tap???? that must be the dumbest thing i ever heard!!! (a tap is a tap)

ye i third this who cares' date='[/quote']

Dude' date=' you have no respect for fighters yourself if you are bothered and upset by what you view as a half-tap.

What a waste of forum space.[/quote']

Why jump all over this guy? Other people have taken the time to say something in responce so it must be all that horrible a topic. Beats the hell out of the waste of time troll posts I sure some of you must spend time bitterly creating.

Wow everybody would you calm down?? You tell me im making a big deal out of it but you are the people who overreacting.If u dont like my thread and think its the dumbest thing you have ever heard of, why post?Besides i highly doubt my thread is the dumbest thing you have ever heard on this forum considering the amount of trolls and fanboyism going around every day.And what word would you want me to describe this ..thing?I said half tap coz I felt like it described it the best.If you have any other words,share it.

By the way, I didnt know that a fighter couldnt to tap even if he wanted to because of the lack of blood flow.Thats why I asked that question on my op.So thanks for the guys that answered my question nicely without bashing someone without reason

I would think that everybody would have 2 ways to tap. I know personally, if someone has me in an arm bar or a ankle lock, it hurts like hell and I want out NOW, so I tap so they know it. Sometimes I am in a rear naked, anaconda, whatever, it doesn't hurt, but I know it's over, I'm not getting out. so you do a less frantic tap, sort of like, " ya, you got me, I am done." bow your head and get on with life. Pretty sure it's not disrespect.

Brock did a 'half tap' with mir and then had to do an exagerated tap for the ref to clue in and stop it.

Do you have any idea why some fighters half tap when they are in a sub and about to lose.Of course this happens when they are in a choke coz if it isnt a choke and u dont tap your gonna break something so nobody does that but i dont like it when a guy half taps.You know' date=' they do the 1 touch at the mat like they are saying " mehh, alright here you go, you win". It just seems very arrogant to me you know?Why do you half tap? Either tap like a man and admit your loss or dont tap and go unconcious.But dont freaking half tap.

Heres what that half **** tap translates for me : " Hey man, you got me in a bad position and in sub by pure %100 luck and i dont respect you at all but you know, i gotta tap coz i dont wanna go unconcious and look bad in front of all these people, so here you go im gonna give you a half **** tap because your **** as a fighter and i dont respect you at all so enjoy your half **** unearned win ill kick your **** another time "

I dont know if there is a reasonable explanation to it but it makes a fighter look unprofessional and like and *******.Like in the fight with Babalu vs David Heath.Babalu kicked davids **** all night and gave him a complete dominating brutal bloody beating and David Heath HALF **** TAPPED when he was in an anaconda.I mean really?David talked all the **** and disrespected Babalu although he knew he was inferior to Babalu, got his **** handed to him and he still half tapped? I dont get it really.At least know to accept defeat like a man.What do you guys think about this ??

Cant fighters summon enough strength before a blackout to tap appropriately or they do it just because they are too damn arrogant??[/quote']

i would just like to say what a stupid post who half taps nobody either you tap or don't i have never seen a half tap been watching mma since ufc 81 havent seen a half tap yet so im not sure what you are talknig about

Archived