Boxing thread early 2010

RevelationWT

Just wondering what you think or what you are looking forward to. Won't be a very informative first post because I just want to get it out there. Will give some reasons why I like these if I can or whatever.

This is what I can see in 2010 basically and looks good.

Upcoming fights

De Marco vs Valero (LW)

Mayweather vs Mosley (WW)

Pacquiao vs Clottey (WW)

Froch vs Kessler (SMW)

Likely 2010 fights

Donaire vs Darchinyan II (SFlyW)

Lopez vs Gamboa (FW)

Haye vs a Klitschko (HW)

Fights i'd love to happen

Hopkins vs Dawson (LHW)

Ward vs Abraham (SMW)

Haye vs Tua (HW)

Adamek vs Cunningham II (CW)

I'm looking for the conclusion of the Super Six showdown (sooo glad Taylor is out of the picture) and am looking for Ward to come out the undisputed champ.

No real HW contenders as I can see. A few maybes but Vlad is just so much better than everybody.

Froch/Kessler stands to be an absolute scientific boxing classic, really hard to call with their European styles matching up so well.

I still think Mayweather/Moseley is at least 3 years too late but a good fight anyway (I won't be paying to see it though)

Pac/Clottey has fight of the year written all over it.

All the "likely" fights and "fights I'd like to happen" look like good matchups to me, and add in there Hopkins/Green as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Agreed Mosley/PBF is too late, but for sure one of the better fights of the year. Maybe PBF wants to cement his legacy after all.

BHop/Green. Makes sense, BHop talking about going up in weight so would be a good fight, I would be upset for Dawson, seems like he's becoming a bit avoided and he's earnt a shot at somebody.

Pac Clottey will be great, most people will try to put this fight down because Pac beat Cotto handily. Clottey more than held his own vs Cotto and might even win a rematch. He's not the most consistent fighter, but has a good mix of offense/defence (much like Cotto). Plus he's massive for WW.

I got Ward/Abraham for super 6 final!! Hopefully. Froch v Kessler is hard to call, styles aside will Kessler be hungry with a point to prove or will the close fight with Dirrell do similar for Froch? I'm so torn on that one. Has Taylor's replacement been announced yet?

Haye vs a Klitschko (HW)

hatton vs marquez or khan

haye will definately first be fighting ruiz the mandotory challenger before he attempts to unify the titles

khan v hatton is my no-no for 2010.

1 He considered himself not ready for Hatton and wouldn't fight him because of friendships, promotion etc. - now post-Pacman, it's on.

2 Hatton deserves to fight Marquez al LWW for some prestige IMO. Let Khan clean up the contenders, go after Kendall Holt, Timothy Bradley.

3 Marquez should probably make his way down to LW again if he can. That's his division where Khan moved from because of the big dogs.

The Khan situation reminds me of 'clever' matchmaking that has helped pollute and near kill boxing.

Gamboa and Lopez wont be happening this year, me thinks. Arum has made it clear that he wants these two to clean out the division first and build a rivalry in the process. Most likely they'll be fighting on same cards for a while. I hope they do a 6 man tourney at featherweight with Gamboa, Lopez, John, Caballero and maybe the two up and comers to fill out. That would be awesome.

Gamboa and Lopez wont be happening this year' date=' me thinks. Arum has made it clear that he wants these two to clean out the division first and build a rivalry in the process. Most likely they'll be fighting on same cards for a while. I hope they do a 6 man tourney at featherweight with Gamboa, Lopez, John, Caballero and maybe the two up and comers to fill out. That would be awesome.[/quote']

It's a good idea for every single division. I'd struggle to find more names personally. If Rocky Juarez hadn't fought John twice already maybe him (though I believe that he was super bantam before that fight).

Even a 4 man knock out tourney would be great. I'd love to see this fight. The lower weights can be so exciting.

Just wondering what you think or what you are looking forward to. Won't be a very informative first post because I just want to get it out there. Will give some reasons why I like these if I can or whatever.

Upcoming fights

De Marco vs Valero (LW)

Mayweather vs Mosley (WW)

Pacquiao vs Clottey (WW)

Froch vs Kessler (SMW)

Likely 2010 fights

Donaire vs Darchinyan II (SFlyW)

Lopez vs Gamboa (FW)

Haye vs a Klitschko (HW)

Hopkins vs Dawson (LHW)

Ward vs Abraham (SMW)

Haye vs Tua (HW)

Adamek vs Cunningham II (CW)

Yeah the Super Six has some good potential. I'm pumped to see if Allan Green can step up and hang with the big boys.

As for Mosley vs Money its a crappy consolation bout, but I would cry for joy if Shane knocks Money on his ****.

Yeah the Super Six has some good potential. I'm pumped to see if Allan Green can step up and hang with the big boys.

As for Mosley vs Money its a crappy consolation bout' date=' but I would cry for joy if Shane knocks Money on his ****.[/quote']

THIS! lol. Is Allan Green the replacement for Taylor? It should have been Bute.

THIS! lol. Is Allan Green the replacement for Taylor? It should have been Bute.

IDK who Bute is, but I've been watching Green for a while. He was featured on ESPN FNF

and he was raw at first but he's got alot craftier, he's sorta a boxer-puncher and is very exciting to watch

khan v hatton is my no-no for 2010.

1 He considered himself not ready for Hatton and wouldn't fight him because of friendships' date=' promotion etc. - now post-Pacman, it's on.

2 Hatton deserves to fight Marquez al LWW for some prestige IMO. Let Khan clean up the contenders, go after Kendall Holt, Timothy Bradley.

3 Marquez should probably make his way down to LW again if he can. That's his division where Khan moved from because of the big dogs.

The Khan situation reminds me of 'clever' matchmaking that has helped pollute and near kill boxing.[/quote']

yeah I heard on tv somewere that khan was turning down his mandatory challenger saying the challenger wasn't a 'big enough name' at the end of the day the association should say who they fight instead of acting like diva's

same as mayweather should of just fought pac man without this testing malraky at the end of the day the athletic commision test them so why test them again class 1 ducker floyd 'made enough money' mayweather

IDK who Bute is' date=' but I've been watching Green for a while. He was featured on ESPN FNF

and he was raw at first but he's got alot craftier, he's sorta a boxer-puncher and is very exciting to watch[/quote']

Lucian Bute is a SMW champ (IBF). His last fight was against Librado Andrade. Can't compare him because I haven't seen Green.

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=223046&cat=boxer

yeah I heard on tv somewere that khan was turning down his mandatory challenger saying the challenger wasn't a 'big enough name' at the end of the day the association should say who they fight instead of acting like diva's

same as mayweather should of just fought pac man without this testing malraky at the end of the day the athletic commision test them so why test them again class 1 ducker floyd 'made enough money' mayweather

Yeah Mayweather's very smart. Cares more about being undefeated than testing himself (certainly since he was 130/135 pounds). Funny how he talks down about other fighters achievements and despite being undefeated he's not on the whole as respected as they are.

Khan stated when he beat Barrera that he wasn't ready for Marquez or Hatton, but as soon as Hatton gets brutally knocked out and retires and Marquez balloons up 17 lbs and completely leaves his weight class the fights look more likely.

Along with Hopkins v Jones Jr, Khan v Hatton is another I just don't want to see.

Mayweather avoided Oscar untilt he was late 30s and he has put off Mosely until the guy was 39.

Everything about Mayweather sucks. And if you look at where he came from how the hell could he ever had turned out any other way than he has?

Mosely still has a better rhythm than Money so i would'nt could him out. I think Money will hit the canvas.

I think you could be right.

Nevertheless it takes until the guy is 39 before MAyweather decides to fight him?

Thats how Flyod Sr rolls.

it was said before... thats how the sport has withered. everyone's keeping their fighters away from the tough fights and milking the fans dry.

yeah i checked him out. bute's up against edison miranda soon. he's another up and comer but he's dirty. elbows headbutts hit and hold hits while ref is separating.

Miranda made Arthur Abraham fight 2/3 of their first fight with a broken jaw (head butt I think).

Abraham won on points!

Abraham destroys him in 4 rounds in a rematch. This was at MW. Bute should win.

Upcoming fights

De Marco vs Valero (LW).. took to many rounds to break down alfaro' date=' more technical than valero[/b']

Mayweather vs Mosley (WW).. pbf will pick him apart, ud

Pacquiao vs Clottey (WW)roach needs to keep pac busy, boring fight

Froch vs Kessler (SMW)froch is slow starter but will catch the shopworn kessler

Likely 2010 fights

Donaire vs Darchinyan II (SFlyW)shaw is a ****nose, this should have already happened, the flash makes it a short night again

Lopez vs Gamboa (FW)pickem'

Haye vs a Klitschko (HW)which klitschko, the boxer or puncher ?

Hopkins vs Dawson (LHW)snooze-fest

Ward vs Abraham (SMW)pickem'

Haye vs Tua (HW)tuas' a fat gasser

Adamek vs Cunningham II (CW)the cheez-steaker gets revenge

long live boxing 2010 ! .. :)

• 3 weeks later...

sadly, yet another death in boxing.

Japanese boxer Yamaki dies after suffering brain injury

Monday 22nd February, 09:24 PM JST

TOKYO -

Japanese boxer Hirokazu Yamaki died at a hospital Monday after sustaining a traumatic brain injury during a bout on the weekend in Tokyo, the Japan Boxing Commission said.

Yamaki, 26, suffered an acute subdural hematoma in his eighth-round knockout loss against Toshimasa Ouchi on Friday night at Korakuen Hall.

He remained unconscious after the fight and underwent emergency surgery at a Tokyo hospital to repair the brain damage. Born in Saitama Prefecture, Yamaki made his pro boxing debut in October 2003.

He was ranked 11th in the latest rankings in the Japanese flyweight division with a 7-9 record, including five knockouts.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/sports/view/japanese-boxer-yamaki-dies-after-suffering-brain-injury

Archived