Mike tyson: most talented puncher ever?

Chuteboxcamp25

here is a video of tyson as a younger man showing off his incredible speed.

has there ever been a more devastating puncher in the history of fighting? I personally have never seen a combination of power and speed that tyson had. its just a shame that he didnt live up to his potential. i think tyson is a once in a lifetime kinda puncher. i dont think we will ever see another with the tools tyson had.

how would you guys rate tyson as a striker all time? have you guys ever seen anyone better? if you have please provide a link. i would love to see it.

has there ever been a more devastating puncher in the history of fighting? I personally have never seen a combination of power and speed that tyson had. its just a shame that he didnt live up to his potential. i think tyson is a once in a lifetime kinda puncher. i dont think we will ever see another with the tools tyson had.

how would you guys rate tyson as a striker all time? have you guys ever seen anyone better? if you have please provide a link. i would love to see it.

I do not know about ever, but I think he had the best ko punch ever, he was the most feared man on the planet before Fedor came along.

I do not know about ever' date=' but I think he had the best ko punch ever, he was the most feared man on the planet before Fedor came along.[/quote']

I personally think he is more feared than Fedor... Because of his instability. Fedor is just a russian teddy bear outside of the cage.

Here is more of the dynamite kid. I hate when people claim to be boxing purists and "educated" fans, saying Tyson isn't even a top 25 GOAT boxer. You can't help who you're competition is, just dominate who they put in front of you, and thats exactly what Tyson did.

I personally think he is more feared than Fedor... Because of his instability. Fedor is just a russian teddy bear outside of the cage.

Here is more of the dynamite kid. I hate when people claim to be boxing purists and "educated" fans' date=' saying Tyson isn't even a top 25 GOAT boxer. You can't help who you're competition is, just dominate who they put in front of you, and thats exactly what Tyson did.

[/quote']

He was a bad man and hit like a mule!

That is crazy' date=' i didnt even realize he was that fast and his reflexes to punches are inhuman![/quote']

Agreed. That's nuts.

Did you guys catch Cus D'Amato looking at Mike when the vid slowed down. Never mind I suppose he'd looking at him throughout anyway.

Tyson was definitely hampered progress wise. Very unfortunate. I don't think I could ever rank him above SRR and Henry Armstrong based on his achievements, maybe I would think if his skills got any better though.

The first time I ever heard of Mike Tyson, it was on my NES. Damn he had a nasty uppercut.

In real life though (Thanks to youtube), anyone could see this little giant would dominate just about anyone in his prime. I hear Ali was a good fighter, "Iron" Mike was a great fighter.

Tyson was a phenomenal puncher' date=' don't know about best ever, Roberto Duran is up there, first time he fought Sugar Ray Robinson he was 73-1 i think, with 55+ KO's, kinda hard to beat that[/quote']

Do you mean SR Leonard? Duran certainly is up there - certainly for LW specifically. SR Robinson is a different kettle of fish from a different era. IMO

No one had the speed/power combo of Mike Tyson. But on pure punching power there are a few I rate higher. Foreman, Sonny Liston, Jack Dempsey, Frasier's power was probably equal but he lacked Tyson's speed. But it has been an accepted fact though that Foreman was the heaviest hitter in boxing history. And Vlad is turning out to be one heavy hitter as well.

And watch any of Ali's fights before his banishment to see a truly great fighter. Even at 18 in the Olympics his skill was far beyond the next closest competitor.

No one had the speed/power combo of Mike Tyson. But on pure punching power there are a few I rate higher. Foreman' date=' Sonny Liston, Jack Dempsey, Frasier's power was probably equal but he lacked Tyson's speed. But it has been an accepted fact though that Foreman was the heaviest hitter in boxing history. And Vlad is turning out to be one heavy hitter as well.

And watch any of Ali's fights before his banishment to see a truly great fighter. Even at 18 in the Olympics his skill was far beyond the next closest competitor.[/quote']

Early Ali was nasty. I don't know for sure but around and before the Liston fights I think.

The best for me are the Paterson and Terrell fights after the second Liston fight. Absolute displays of near perfect technique and skill.

I love the Liston 'phantom punch'. Liston also destroyed Patterson to take his crown. Patterson was a legend in his time too.

I don't know who it was, but there's a fight where Ali is fighting a white guy and just storms him. Pwns him on the feet and eventually knocks him down I think. I can't remember his name though. I will try to find it.

edit; can't find it. Could've been anybody - it was early though.

Do you mean SR Leonard? Duran certainly is up there - certainly for LW specifically. SR Robinson is a different kettle of fish from a different era. IMO

Ray Robinson is the p4p greatest fighter ever, with Ali (who patterned himself after Sugar Ray) a close second.

Yes, there have been a number of more devastating punchers, given that Tyson only ever devastated losers.

Also, he only had one punch and one way to throw it. Holyfeld was good with both hands, as he proved when he beat Tyson into the mat in 11 rounds.

Tough little cruiserweight.

What made Tyson such a great puncher was that unlike a lot of other sluggers, he never threw himself off balance after throwing huge shots. It was one followed quickly after another, which has never been done with that speed. The fact that his defense and headbobbing was very good at getting on the inside, Tyson is an under rated "boxer". I would say there would be plenty of guys with harder 1 shot knockout power, but Tyson is in a league of his own when it comes to being explosive.

Just watch his fights, he throws and uppercut and right after hes in position to throw one RIGHT AWAY.

What made Tyson such a great puncher was that unlike a lot of other sluggers' date=' he never threw himself off balance after throwing huge shots. It was one followed quickly after another, which has never been done with that speed. The fact that his defense and headbobbing was very good at getting on the inside, Tyson is an under rated "boxer". I would say there would be plenty of guys with harder 1 shot knockout power, but Tyson is in a league of his own when it comes to being explosive.

Just watch his fights, he throws and uppercut and right after hes in position to throw one RIGHT AWAY.[/quote']Tysons kryptonite was that he could only fight moving forward though... he got figured to a certain extent by fighters who kept him on his toes moving him backwards with constant pressure.

I'm not sure if anyone has said it but Roy Jones Jr. was shoulders above everybody in his prime.

He was certainly head and shoulders above Tyson.

So was Holyfeld.

So was Lewis.

So is Klitchco.

So was BHop.

So was Oscar.

So is Manny.

So was Sugar Ray Leanard.

So was Hagler.

So was Hearns.

So was Duran.

and so on and so on and so on.........

Tysons kryptonite was that he could only fight moving forward though... he got figured to a certain extent by fighters who kept him on his toes moving him backwards with constant pressure.

Wow, the interwebs is a funny place!

Just when I have personally written SCO off as a complete imbecile in Brock Lesnar's F-5 underwear, he goes and half way redeems himself with intelligent input in a subject I figured he would be completely in the dark about. Go figure!

I like this SCO better than Brockamaniac SCO!

In your honor I will leave the Brock/Tyson comparative analysis for another time!

Archived