have i been asleep? when did the ufc cut gouveia?

Uwillsubmit

They still have him listed under their signed fighters, maybe they're allowing him to go fight in some smaller shows, get his record back up and work his way back up after his last loss. Much like Houston Alexander got to do and Corey Hill is doing since his injury (that was sick.).

Like people said the UFC does want Gouveia to get his record back up. But people have not said the most important reason why he was cut. Along with the record thing, the UFC really wants him to find a true and consistent weight class that he can stick to. He's missed weight I believe two times now since dropping down to middleweight so they want him to get fully acclimated to 185 or to go back to 205 and string together wins there.

From the interview I read Gouveia said he was moving back to 205 to improve his health. I also recall him saying he was not surprised with getting cut due to missing weight and his record. He will most likely be back by next year - I think he will be focused and ready to throw down.

Like people said the UFC does want Gouveia to get his record back up. But people have not said the most important reason why he was cut. Along with the record thing' date=' the UFC really wants him to find a true and consistent weight class that he can stick to. He's missed weight I believe two times now since dropping down to middleweight so they want him to get fully acclimated to 185 or to go back to 205 and string together wins there.

From the interview I read Gouveia said he was moving back to 205 to improve his health. I also recall him saying he was not surprised with getting cut due to missing weight and his record. He will most likely be back by next year - I think he will be focused and ready to throw down.[/quote']

+1 on the reasons for the cut. I'm not really sure of the point of bringing him back to fight at 205 other than as a gatekeeper though, I don't see him being a force in that division any time soon.

In saying that though the UFC does have good relations with the MFC, and more often than not it's where fighters go post UFC to try and build up a record and come back e.g(Leites, Mcdonald, Lutter)

They still have him listed under their signed fighters' date=' maybe they're allowing him to go fight in some smaller shows, get his record back up and work his way back up after his last loss. Much like Houston Alexander got to do and Corey Hill is doing since his injury (that was sick.).[/quote']

They have a lot of former fighters under signed fighters. They're terrible at updating their website.

They still have him listed under their signed fighters' date=' maybe they're allowing him to go fight in some smaller shows, get his record back up and work his way back up after his last loss. Much like Houston Alexander got to do and Corey Hill is doing since his injury (that was sick.).[/quote']

I didn't realize they did that. I like it though it would be more to hype for his return.

I dont get why the UFC cuts good fighters like that yet they resign Frank Trigg' date=' Phil baroni and they protect bunch of this semi- talented TUF guys. UFC is just making competition look more legit.[/quote']

Frank Trigg and Phil Baroni may not be really good but hell they are still more marketable then Wilson Gouviea right now. . . Alan Belcher sriously outclassed him in there last bout. . . Belcher's the man, might i add!! haha

I dont get why the UFC cuts good fighters like that yet they resign Frank Trigg' date=' Phil baroni and they protect bunch of this semi- talented TUF guys. UFC is just making competition look more legit.[/quote']

Behind the scenes before an event, Joe Silva tells every fighter one of them will be cut, because a fighter has to be cut after every show; and that's just how it goes. He mentioned if you fight hard enough and lose you'll get another chance.

So I think if you've been stopped in multiple fights or been in too many lackluster decisions, you're likely done.

However this does not apply to TUF winners apperantly. Mac Danzig dropped three straight and said he wanted a vacation and the UFC said go right ahead.

Archived