Evan Dunham vs. Tyson Griffin

Technique

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17786/evan-dunham-vs-tyson-griffin-likely-for-junes-ufc-115-in-vancouver.mma

[Edit] forgot the link.

For love or money, Sin City always takes the latter when it comes to the fight game.

MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com) has learned that training partners Evan Dunham (10-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) and Tyson Griffin (14-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) have agreed to meet at UFC 115 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

Bout agreements have yet to be signed, but both parties have agreed to the fight and are expected to finalize a deal soon.

Looks like all fighters don't share the same philosophy as GSP, Anderson Silva, or the 3 WW from American Kickboxing Academy. These guys are trianing partners that have agreed to mix it up. I have trouble picking a side on this issue. On one hand I feel like a fight between friends would strengthen their bond. But like GSP said in his recent interview he doesn't want to be in a place where he could do serious damage to his friend.

Anyways this fight should be a good one. I'm looking forward to seeing Griffin back in action. He's a tough guy with some incredible skill. Evan Dunham has also shown some promise and has been an exciting edition to the UFC.

gonna go for dunham in this' date=' dunno why[/quote']

Probably for the same reason i am, he's still walking around with Efrains arm over his shoulder like a 50's mobster with his baseball bat

To be honest i've always liked Tyson Griffin and he always puts on exciting fights and pushes the pace.

But there was so much hype surrounding Efrain and he just took that away (his arm i mean) so it's hard not to root for a guy like that.

I love Tyson...he seems to just go about his business and is damn good. He pushes the pace and always seems really calm, cool and collective in the ring.

As for the issue of fighting or not fighting a training partner well...IMO you fight or compete in any sport for one reason and that is to be the best! The Champ! Sometimes this means you have to go up against your buddy. I disagree heavily on not fighting someone because they are in the same camp as you. Despite the fact that I like many of the fighters that do this I still think it is not right and not in the best interest of the sport or the fighter.

Also, if two fighters from the same camp have the opportunity to fight for a belt because they are that good then isn't that an awesome thing for the camp and how much they train and push each other?

Fight to be the best and you will not be considered the best in whatever organization you are in without the belt, trophy etc.

What do you guys think?

I love Tyson...he seems to just go about his business and is damn good. He pushes the pace and always seems really calm' date=' cool and collective in the ring.

As for the issue of fighting or not fighting a training partner well...IMO you fight or compete in any sport for one reason and that is to be the best! The Champ! Sometimes this means you have to go up against your buddy. I disagree heavily on not fighting someone because they are in the same camp as you. Despite the fact that I like many of the fighters that do this I still think it is not right and not in the best interest of the sport or the fighter.

Also, if two fighters from the same camp have the opportunity to fight for a belt because they are that good then isn't that an awesome thing for the camp and how much they train and push each other?

Fight to be the best and you will not be considered the best in whatever organization you are in without the belt, trophy etc.

What do you guys think?[/quote']

I agree that if they want to fight then they definetely should, but i think GSP summed it up well in this interview for the reasons of not fighting a friend or teammate

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/01/17/georges-st-pierre-mulls-permanent-move-to-middleweight/

I love Tyson...he seems to just go about his business and is damn good. He pushes the pace and always seems really calm' date=' cool and collective in the ring.

What do you guys think?[/quote']

Great points. Your right holding the belt and being considered the best for a period of time is the goal. The desire to reach that goal may not be as strong for some and may not be necessary.

Look at Anderson. People almost unanimously will agree he is at the moment the P4P best fighter in the world, yet he will not fight the LHW title holder. That doesn't make him any less of a fighter.

I think it boils down to the level of each fighters relationship with each other. Take JDS for example. He is on a whole other level of respect towards Big Nog. He has said that if Nog holds the belt he doesn't need it. He calls him master and will never fight him. I really respect that stance. I have trained in Martial Arts and I wouldn't want to professionally compete against my instructors.

Training partners don't have quite the same relationship but its' similar. They teach each other their moves and strategies to help them out. You really want to see them succeed and will do anything in your power to help the out. Your like brothers. Some training partners may not be as close as others. Just mere acquaintances for example maybe Evan and Tyson.

I respect both stances. I think it's great that these two guys are willing to get in there and prove who is best. I also greatly respect how some fighters will never fight their friends. They share the same dreams and don't want to be the ones to derail their teammates. It creates some problems but the UFC has been flexible with this issue.

Great points. Your right holding the belt and being considered the best for a period of time is the goal. The desire to reach that goal may not be as strong for some and may not be necessary.

Look at Anderson. People almost unanimously will agree he is at the moment the P4P best fighter in the world' date=' yet he will not fight the LHW title holder. That doesn't make him any less of a fighter.

I think it boils down to the level of each fighters relationship with each other. Take JDS for example. He is on a whole other level of respect towards Big Nog. He has said that if Nog holds the belt he doesn't need it. He calls him master and will never fight him. I really respect that stance. I have trained in Martial Arts and I wouldn't want to professionally compete against my instructors.

Training partners don't have quite the same relationship but its' similar. They teach each other their moves and strategies to help them out. You really want to see them succeed and will do anything in your power to help the out. Your like brothers. Some training partners may not be as close as others. Just mere acquaintances for example maybe Evan and Tyson.

I respect both stances. I think it's great that these two guys are willing to get in there and prove who is best. I also greatly respect how some fighters will never fight their friends. They share the same dreams and don't want to be the ones to derail their teammates. It creates some problems but the UFC has been flexible with this issue.[/quote']

I agree that if they want to fight then they definetely should' date=' but i think GSP summed it up well in this interview for the reasons of not fighting a friend or teammate

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/01/17/georges-st-pierre-mulls-permanent-move-to-middleweight/[/quote']

I like both your perspectives and yes that interview with GSP is great. I understand Spider not moving up to fight because he is at a lower weight currently and I respect his stance and I respect GSP not moving up but to not fight a friend in the weight class that you are in is where I believe the problem is. People teach (Nog) others for them to be the best as well. So I guess I would have a problem with a Nog JDS fight not hppening because of friendship. My belief is and will always be that you fight for the title and to be the best and if that is not your ultimate goal being a professional than they are disrespecting the sport. Big Baby said it perfect on TUF when he said something about how he had all the gifts in the NFL but was not a student of the game and heart wasnt all the way in it. That's some honest talk and he walked away out of respect.

I totally respect your guys opinion and they are very valid! Thanks for the posts. Awesome.

I was kinda of suprised when I first heard of this fight. Teammates fighting each other that is. Question that will be answered after the fight is will it make their bond stronger or tear them apart. I wouldnt be suprised if one of them left Xtreme Couture.

Me too! That's a big question and I'm looking forward to seeing the answer.

maybe set up tyson vs maynard' date=' another xtreme couture show down, maybe have dunham vs danzig as well[/quote']

This will depend on the above question I think. If this fight breaks the team apart I doubt the other guys will volunteer to follow suit. Although Tyson vs Maynard and Dunham vs Danzig would be a couple of great matchups.

Never really liked Danzig so I would be pulling for Dunham.

Tyson I think would be too much for Maynard. I just haven't been that impressed with Maynard.

Archived