Brian Stann: They Picked The Wrong Marine

The_Power

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10579&zoneid=3

10579-StannBillington021WEC30.jpg

Former WEC light heavyweight champion turned UFC prospect Brian Stann returns Feb. 6 at UFC 109 in Las Vegas to face newcomer Phil Davis.

Training amongst some of the regulars such as Keith Jardine, Nate Marquardt, and Shane Carwin with the famed Greg Jackson camp, Stann, who is looking to build on a two-fight winning streak, will meet another prospect on the rise in undefeated collegiate wrestler Phil Davis.

?I?ve been done here for, gosh, the last five, six weeks, and obviously a quick turn around,? said Stann, the father of two, while speaking with MMAWeekly Radio in regards to his training camp in preparation for the bout.

?I thought I was going to get some time to enjoy the holidays and get fat and happy, but it certainly wasn?t the case. This is going to be my third fight inside of six months. I?m in a great rhythm and I?m just getting better and better.?

Following a victory over UFC newcomer Rodney Wallace this past December at ?The Ultimate Fighter? season 10 finale, it wasn?t long before the Marine was quickly called back to action.

?The thing was, (the UFC) called me asking me about the fight (with Davis), it was only a week after my fight (with Wallace). I was actually already back in the gym helping some buddies, so it only made sense since especially the fighters (Phil and Rodney) were so similar,? recalled Stann.

?Two wrestlers, both trying to get me down and just lay on me for three rounds and beat me up a little bit, so it was really just like a continuation (of the fight with Rodney back at UFC). Now I?m obviously fighting a better wrestler, but a guy with a little bit less experience than the last guy I fought, so it really just made sense.?

Everything seemed to have aligned for the Iraqi veteran. Not too long after the proposed bout was accepted, a helping hand would be there to move Stann along with his already improved wrestling abilities.

?It was kind of perfect timing because right at the time that I had signed for this fight, a guy by the name of Harry Wester moved about 10 minutes away from me. Harry is one of our best wrestlers in our country, two-time bronze medalist in the worlds. So he became one of my new wrestling coaches and brought me a bunch of his buddies for me to go ahead and train with,? said Stann.

While eager to accept another bout, his third in a six-month span, the 29-year-old Stann was ticked-off to say the least when the UFC mentioned the likes of Davis, who is someone that in MMA circles is talked about as being the ?next big thing.? And though his ultimate goal is to reach Top 10 supremacy, Stann knows that the road ahead is long and Davis will have to be the example that Stann will set to the rest of the light heavyweight division. He is no pushover.

?Honestly, I had a chip on my shoulder right away because I think (the UFC) is possibly using me as a stepping stone to build him up. And my attitude right away was ?you picked the wrong fricking Marine!?? Stann declared.

?I really want to fight contenders. I want to break into the Top 10. I have so much respect for all the guys that are there, like the Rich Franklins and the Noguerias, Luiz Cane, Thiago Silva; they all got there by beating great fighters and than that?s why I want to fight them later on down the road.?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Stann

Do you think Brian Stann will be a LHW contender??

Archived